Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#21 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 pm

eLo wrote:maybe we wont miss him but kid can have decent nba carrer, his last season was poor but Snyder did not give him much occasion to show what he is worth, same with Neto, Jingles second season also with limited minutes looks not so great, overall its not like Snyder is such master mind in evaluating talents

This staff if applauded league-wide for their player development (I hear it all the time when National writers & former coaches come onto the Jazz's local radio). Players who work hard flourish & improve.

The team let a good (not great) player (Booker) walk because they believed in Lyles. They gave him tons of chances to succeed, but he plain & simply sucked (and regressed). That isn't the coaches fault. If your shot isn't falling you can still defend & rebound, but Trey didn't even do that. He also didn't move the ball well. So what was he doing that earned him more time than he received? (I'd argue he got too much PT.)

Trey seems like a nice young man, so I wish him well, but he screwed himself. He either didn't work on his game in the offseason, or is weak minded & got into his own head. Personally, I think he thought he was set in the rotation when Booker left, and he got complacent. Hopefully a change of scenery will help & re-focus young Mr. Lyles.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#22 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Crazy because we need a guy with his skill set. But damn when his shot doesnt fall he kills you on everything else. Im actually surprised he wasnt better at reb/def due to his length.

He will be a decent player eventually. Sucks it didnt work out here.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#23 » by Catchall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Getting Mitchell was more than worth the price of trading Lyles. Plus, there are several forward in this next draft that I like as much or more than Lyles for the Jazz -- Hachimura, Knox, Williams, maybe even Tilley.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 am

Catchall wrote:Getting Mitchell was more than worth the price of trading Lyles. Plus, there are several forward in this next draft that I like as much or more than Lyles for the Jazz -- Hachimura, Knox, Williams, maybe even Tilley.

Is Hamidou a PF?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#25 » by Catchall » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:33 am

GobertReport wrote:
Catchall wrote:Getting Mitchell was more than worth the price of trading Lyles. Plus, there are several forward in this next draft that I like as much or more than Lyles for the Jazz -- Hachimura, Knox, Williams, maybe even Tilley.

Is Hamidou a PF?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Diallo is a 2-guard.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#26 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm

I do not miss him. I had hope, but he didn't get better. The Jazz drafted him over Boooker, who as a great shooter with the size and athleticism was the easy pick, and we missed out on a guy that scored 70 last year. He showed some great skills....then nothing.

To package him up with the #24 to get Mitchell was Brilliant. MItchell will be a star. He .is good at everything, but his strength is his defense and athleticism. Did you see him mug Tatum....steal the ball.....and bumps chests with him. His goal is 1st team all defense....he has jets...is fast...can play PG easily...can shut down D other PG's

No I do not miss Lyles.

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#27 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Bye Lyles. Great trade!!!

Catchall
RealGM

Post#28 » by Catchall » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, no.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#29 » by Paper Face » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 am

If we had drafted Booker, we'd be stuck with Booker and the #24.

So glad to have traded all of that for Mitchell instead.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#30 » by sipclip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 am

Paper Face wrote:If we had drafted Booker, we'd be stuck with Booker and the #24.

You can't be serious. Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:57 pm

If all it took to move up from 24 to 13 was Lyles, we could have probably still moved up with a different package.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by Paper Face » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 pm

sipclip wrote:You can't be serious.

Thanks for the sig.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by Paper Face » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:If all it took to move up from 24 to 13 was Lyles, we could have probably still moved up with a different package.

That is so easy to say. There's no way to know that. I think it's much more likely that anyone below Denver with an asset they liked could have moved up for that pick because Denver wanted to move it. The Jazz just happened to have Lyles at the right time for the trade.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#34 » by KqWIN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

We'd be all over Booker's nuts if he was on our roster.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#35 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Paper Face wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:If all it took to move up from 24 to 13 was Lyles, we could have probably still moved up with a different package.

That is so easy to say. There's no way to know that. I think it's much more likely that anyone below Denver with an asset they liked could have moved up for that pick because Denver wanted to move it. The Jazz just happened to have Lyles at the right time for the trade.

Fair enough. You're right, though it was more of a comment about how Lyles didn't pan out for us as a player, and that his value was relatively low. I mean, surely there were teams below Denver with better assets than Lyles they were willing to part with. Looking at their roster now, with all their bigs and wings, when will he even get time to play? (not that they knew they'll be able to sign Millsap when they traded for Lyles).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#36 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 pm

sipclip wrote:
Paper Face wrote:If we had drafted Booker, we'd be stuck with Booker and the #24.

You can't be serious. Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

Interesting take from Paper Face. It will be interesting to see where we are on this as a group next summer. One thing is for certain, I fully expect better defense from Mitchell than Booker has displayed. That is not to say I wasn't a little peeved the Jazz drafted Lyles instead of Booker a couple of years ago, but like the sequence of the events that led to the drafting of Gobert, we might look back on this with gratitude.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#37 » by Rauxcee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 pm

All during the playoffs as I was watching brick after brick on wide open 3's, I thought how nice it would be to have Booker on the team. Not because he necessarily would have fared any better, but he's a scorer. We needed a scorer. We lacked scoring with Hayward, and now....

That being said, I'm happy to judge the situation as an either/or, but after a season or two of development for Mitchell. Then I'll decide who I'd rather have.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#38 » by Dry Fly » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Paper Face wrote:
sipclip wrote:You can't be serious.

Thanks for the sig.

Who is going to eat crow? My money is on sip.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#39 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Paper Face wrote:I look at it this way:

If we hadn't drafted Lyles we would now most likely have Booker + whomever the Jazz would have drafted at 24 instead of Mitchell.

I think I'm going to be pretty happy with how things turned out.

Ah there you are! I've been looking for you ever since we hit the 1 year mark to talk about Lyles again. What a great player he sure turned out to be for us! And I dont say that jokingly....somehow that clown ended up getting us Mitchell! :beer:
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by Paper Face » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
Paper Face wrote:I look at it this way:

If we hadn't drafted Lyles we would now most likely have Booker + whomever the Jazz would have drafted at 24 instead of Mitchell.

I think I'm going to be pretty happy with how things turned out.

Ah there you are! I've been looking for you ever since we hit the 1 year mark to talk about Lyles again. What a great player he sure turned out to be for us! And I dont say that jokingly....somehow that clown ended up getting us Mitchell! :beer:

Return to Utah Jazz