Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#41 » by Paper Face » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

It was painful to watch Lyles take a dump on the court last year, but that is exactly what he did.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Re: RE: Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#42 » by Paper Face » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:04 pm

sipclip wrote:
Paper Face wrote:If we had drafted Booker, we'd be stuck with Booker and the #24.

So glad to have traded all of that for Mitchell instead.

You can't be serious. Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

sipclip,

Any further thoughts on Booker vs Mitchell after last night?
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#43 » by stitches » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:16 pm

Paper Face wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Paper Face wrote:If we had drafted Booker, we'd be stuck with Booker and the #24.

You can't be serious. Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick.

sipclip,

Lets not make big conclusions based on single games. Booker has been having a tremendous season and is a great offensive player. IMO Mitchell is more well-rounded, but there will be some time before we know whether Mitchell will be better than him or not.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#44 » by Winglish » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:23 pm

I wanted Booker BADLY on draft night. So did everyone in the arena. I even saw a video of myself on Youtube booing the pick and showing thumbs down at the Trey Lyles selection.

That said, I am WAY HAPPY with the outcome now! Donovan Mitchell is EXACTLY the kind of player the Jazz have needed!

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#45 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm not getting over my skis and saying DM is the next MJ, but he has been very impressive; and no I don't miss Trey Lyles if that meant we didn't get DM.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#46 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 7:04 pm

Lyles isn't looking too bad as a bench rotation player or low-end starter with 10.8 ppg, 5.2 rb and eFG 0.587 in 20.7 mpg. He clearly is improved over his Jazz years. I really don't think the Jazz had "given up" on him but the business part was moving him for DM - clearly the right call. While not to jinx DM, the kid has superstar written all over him.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#47 » by dautjazz » Sat Feb 3, 2018 8:26 pm

ABsolutely no regrets, we landed a franchise player for a guy who was not playing well for us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#48 » by sipclip » Sat Feb 3, 2018 9:14 pm

Paper Face wrote:
sipclip wrote:

sipclip,

You do realize that Booker is averaging 24pts, 4rbs and almost 5 assists a game don't you. He is also younger than Mitchell. Also we are talking about the 24th pick as well. I was obsessed with Jordan Bell, Bolden and Frank Jackson with that pick. We don't know anything about Bolden and Jackson yet but Bell has looked awesome.

CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#49 » by CAE15 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 9:53 pm

sipclip wrote:
Paper Face wrote:
sipclip wrote:You can't be serious. Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick.

sipclip,

You do realize that Booker is averaging 24pts, 4rbs and almost 5 assists a game don't you. He is also younger than Mitchell. Also we are talking about the 24th pick as well. I was obsessed with Jordan Bell, Bolden and Frank Jackson with that pick. We don't know anything about Bolden and Jackson yet but Bell has looked awesome.

@Ben_Dowsett: And here are his ranks among all players in DRPM every year he's been in the league:

17-18: 470th of 479
16-17: 451st of 468
15-16: 419th of 423

DRPM is not perfect, sure, but Booker has been a bottom-20 NBA player by defensive impact every single year he's played.

Good offensive players but garbage defensive players still have a place in the NBA but it is still a concern that he hasn't shown improvement on that end. He's somewhat the Kanter of shooting guards. Sure he may light it up on offense but if his matchup is scoring right after he's not that useful. Although i think with more focus on it he can definitely improve on that area of his game. Does he have a the determination to do so though? Who knows.. Ben did a great job of breaking down like 7 or 8 plays and there's plenty more he could've from last night and while it's a very small sample but then explain the rest of his young career so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#50 » by Stern Fixer » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:26 am

The whole thing's a total crap shoot. I mean what would Steph Curry have become after his disastrous injury filled first few years, if he hadn't had the best team trainer (Keke Lyles) in all of sports to teach him how to load his hips and what exercise routine to embark on? It's all about situations and opportunity more often than not. Trey Lyles? How about Enes Kanter? Who envisioned him becoming the best offensive rebounder in the game. Or Marvin Williams? Or Kyle Korver? Or Trevor Booker? Or Demarre Carrol? Or even Trey Burke getting a second chance? Personally, I'm just happy to see ex-Jazz men having success in this league. We must've done something right here in order for them to excel down the road.

Basically we ended up with a franchise player by dealing Lyles. Lyles is no dog, never was even at his lowest point, and I have to give Denver credit for seeing the potential in him. One of those deals that paid dividends to both sides. I do miss Lyles' with his posturing and courtside antics, celebrating his teams success. He was a good teammate and a good soldier. Still, Mitchell has so much poise and leadership, in such a durable package, anyone can see his greatness and potential. I know that Ben Simmons has been nothing short of incredible in technically his second season, but Mitchell deserves the ROY award, and DL deserves some kudos for seeing the potential and trading up to #13 to get him.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by Paper Face » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:28 am

stitches wrote:IMO Mitchell is more well-rounded, but there will be some time before we know whether Mitchell will be better than him or not.

I’ll take a two-way star in the mold of D Wade w/ 3pt range over a Ray Allen-type any day.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#52 » by Paper Face » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:43 am

sipclip wrote:You do realize that Booker is averaging 24pts, 4rbs and almost 5 assists a game don't you.

Yeah, those are great stats.

Let’s chat again soon.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:28 am

Without better defense, Booker is just slightly more dynamic Kevin Martin.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#54 » by sipclip » Sun Feb 4, 2018 5:06 am

babyjax13 wrote:Without better defense, Booker is just slightly more dynamic Kevin Martin.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 5:22 am

sipclip wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Without better defense, Booker is just slightly more dynamic Kevin Martin.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

Martin's third season was when he took off, he was two years older but statistically very comparable. More efficient scorer, was a bad defender but not a turnstile (later in his career got much worse) and much better advance stats. Booker gets more volume and is a better passer. Booker will be the better player by a pretty large margin, but he's gotta start playing some defense. I'm not saying this as a slight, people underrate Martin quite a bit. But Booker's potential is much higher. Still, I'd easily take Mitchell over Booker. Of course, if we had Booker we'd likely still have Hayward, so it's a very different calculus.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kevin+Martin&player_id1_select=Kevin+Martin&y1=2007&player_id1=martike02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Devin+Booker&player_id2_select=Devin+Booker&y2=2018&player_id2=bookede01&idx=players

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz