FIBA Eurobasket Discussion

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Re: FIBA Eurobasket Discussion 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 7:13 pm

stitches wrote:Rubio is playing right now, if you guys want to watch...

He just scored a 3 in transition. He's been doing that this summer. Interesting.

Rubio played just about 13 minutes today in another blowout. Spain trounced Romania 91-50. Rubio was 3/3 from the field, including 2/2 on threes. Keep it up Ricky!

Spain has won their three games by an average of 39 points. Pau Gasol took the day off.
Bohkke
Ballboy
And1: 47

Post#22 » by Bohkke » Tue Sep 5, 2017 7:48 am

He just scored a 3 in transition. He's been doing that this summer. Interesting.

First bucket of this video:

It's so rare to see Ricky doing that! :D
"Confidence is silent. Insecurities are loud."
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#23 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:41 pm

Croatia, led by Dario Saric's 18 points and Bojan Bogdanovic's 15 points, put up a fight against Spain today, leading by one going in to the fourth quarter, but Croatia fell short, 79-73.

Rubio led Spain with 13 points on 2/7 shooting overall, but he was 2/5 for threes and 7/8 on free throws in 27 minutes of play. He also had 4 assists, 4 steals and 0 turnovers.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobasket/2017/0509/Croatia-Spain#tab=game_story
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#24 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:04 pm

Bohkke wrote:

First bucket of this video:

It's so rare to see Ricky doing that! :D

It indeed is. I came over here figuring that you guys might find footage of him taking a couple of ballsy threes (ballsy for him, at least) interesting.

Read on Twitter

The second video, though, shows how much people are ignoring him. Yet, either way... 6.2 3-point attempts per 36 minutes is unheard of in regards to Rubio.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#25 » by lobishome » Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:44 pm

Ricky is in the best form of his career. He is shooting with confidence and today he even has challeged the Croatian coach to keep floating him. For me he is the most important player of Spain and his play always has fitted better in NBA than FIBA basketball. I can't wait for watch him with the Jazz..
Andri
Junior
And1: 251

Post#26 » by Andri » Wed Sep 6, 2017 7:10 am

It seems that finally Ricky has become an at least average outside shooter, so the concern of other teams floating him could be over. This was displayed as the main issue during his Minny tenure once the team eventually would reach Playoffs.

He can't be played against ala Rondo anymore, and it would open more plays for him and his teammates. He may even take advantage next season until defenses adjust to the "new" Rubio.

Next step, improving at the rim, it would take him to the NBA stardom.
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#27 » by Feilong » Wed Sep 6, 2017 8:01 am

lobishome wrote: I can't wait for watch him with the Jazz..

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#28 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:28 am

A note on the assist stats: It seems that FIBA Eurobasket reviews and adjusts the assist numbers some time after the games are over, because Rubio's assists in game one against Montenegro were later increased to 7 assists, and in this game just completed against Croatia, Rubio's assists were downgraded from 4 to 3 assists. So if you see someone post assist numbers at the conclusion of a game, click on the boxscore and the assist numbers don't match, the assist numbers were likely adjusted after the game.

Over four games, Rubio is averaging an efficient 4.5 assists, 1.5 TO and 2.3 steals in 20.2 minutes per game.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#29 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:15 pm

Hasn't Ricky always been average off the dribble? I remember reading something about his catch and shoot being horrible, which is strange because of his high FT%.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#30 » by stitches » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:06 pm

Doncic is such a ... basketball player. He's the epitome of what you want out of a player skills-wise and bballIQ-wise.

Also... this made me literally LoL when I saw it...

Also, Kokoskov having hell of a FIBA Euro tournament. I didn't expect his team to look so good and win as many games.
stitches
RealGM

Post#31 » by stitches » Wed Sep 6, 2017 7:26 pm

They need to give Markkanen the "Clutch" nickname. He's balling again in the final 5 minutes of a game. 7 consecutive points to give Finland 7 pts lead with 2 minutes remaining.

edit: 9 points in the last 3 minutes of the game! WOW!
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#32 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Sep 7, 2017 12:13 am

stitches wrote:Also, Kokoskov having hell of a FIBA Euro tournament. I didn't expect his team to look so good and win as many games.

Goran Dragic is really killing it for Slovenia. He's the high man for the tournament, averaging 24.4 ppg in 28.5 mpg, with 5.2 apg, 2.2 tov, 1.8 st and 3.2 rbs. He's shooting 6.2 of 11 per game on threes --- 56.4%.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#33 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Sep 7, 2017 9:22 am

stitches wrote:They need to give Markkanen the "Clutch" nickname. He's balling again in the final 5 minutes of a game. 7 consecutive points to give Finland 7 pts lead with 2 minutes remaining.

edit: 9 points in the last 3 minutes of the game! WOW!

Lauri Clutchkkanen.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#34 » by stitches » Sat Sep 9, 2017 12:16 pm

Slovenia crushed Ukraine and Doncic had another awesome game finishing with 14/10/6 in just 23 minutes of play. Some of the passes he makes... I've only seen LeBron make them in the league. He's also extremely competitive rebounder of the ball.

stitches
RealGM

Post#35 » by stitches » Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:08 pm

First surprise elimination - France lost to Germany. It's good to be reminded once in a while why players like De Colo are not in the NBA. What a horrible performance and selfish finish of the game.

Could this be Boris' final game of basketball?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:15 pm

It's insane he's only 18 (?). He's playing like a man, and like a vet.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#37 » by stitches » Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:21 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:It's insane he's only 18 (?). He's playing like a man, and like a vet.

Yep. It is totally insane. He's 18... and will be 18 for 5-6 more months. He still has 1 year of professional basketball to play before he's draft eligible. There is a maturity and poise in his game and ...every time I try to describe his game I can't help but come back to basketball IQ. He just knows how to play the game. He sees the floor exceptionally well and he makes all the passes with pin point precision. His crosscourt skip passes are a thing of beauty and he nails them right into the shooter's shooting pocket. It's amazing to watch. And that's without even mentioning his insane skill level on ball and shooting both on-ball and off-ball. Cy from jazzfanz I think has him pegged the best... he's like a James Harden in Gordon Hayward's body and athleticism. I absolutely love watching him play.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:28 pm

He looks to be less athletic than Hayward though.

stitches
RealGM

Post#39 » by stitches » Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:He looks to be less athletic than Hayward though.

Maybe a little bit yes... I think I agree with you... it's hard to pin point his athleticism because he doesn't use it always but he has some explosive plays once in a while. I've seen him do put back dunks and dunks in traffic. He's also done some insane acrobatic finishes ala Michael Jordan that require some athleticism... Like looks at this one:

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#40 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 5:39 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:He looks to be less athletic than Hayward though.

Maybe a little bit yes... I think I agree with you... it's hard to pin point his athleticism because he doesn't use it always but he has some explosive plays once in a while. I've seen him do put back dunks and dunks in traffic. He's also done some insane acrobatic finishes ala Michael Jordan that require some athleticism... Like looks at this one:

Daaaaaamn! That was a Jordan-esque move.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley

Return to Utah Jazz