Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018 

Post#221 » by Cappy_Smurf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:The more time passes the more similar to Favors' injury this one turns into...

With one key difference--the Spurs are sitting Leonard until he's recovered instead of messing around with him while he's injured. Favors battled it out while injured for the team, lowered his value by playing hurt, and will still be gone at the end of the season. It is amazing to me how much the Jazz sacrificed to be competitive just to please Hayward. What a terrible decision. :nonono:

Don't agree with this at all. Spurs tried to bring Kawhi back just like Utah tried to bring Favors back. Pretty much the exact same situation. Kawhi was feeling better, thought he was ready to play, and then once he tried he realized he wasn't ready. We just haven't gotten to the 2nd time they bring him back yet, but it's no different right now.

Fans want all injuries to be simple fixes, but not all injuries are created equal. In the case of both Favors and Kawhi, the medical staff is going a lot by how the players say they feel. They can't just look at an MRI and see exactly how bad it is and exactly when a player is ready. So these players get frustrated with being out for long periods of time, and even though they may know there's still somewhat of a problem, they decide to go out and give it a try. As badly as fans want there to be a magic formula for making decisions on tricky injuries, that's just not the real world.

If anything, this whole Kawhi incident should shed some light on all the criticism fans have given Utah's medical staff over Favors' chronic injuries. Fultz in Philly is also similar, in that doctors just don't have the perfect solution, if they even know for sure what the problem is.

I guess maybe we'll have to wait for a Phoenix player to have similar problems, before Jazz fans accept the fact that doctors don't always have all the answers, and that some injuries can be extremely challenging to deal with.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#222 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Speaking of the Spurs, I think Lamaracus Aldridge got screwed by not getting a starting nod for the All Star game. He's having a career year in spite of the Spurs having no other big offensive threat and every team game planning to stop him. Derrick Favors seems to be the only player in the NBA that can do a good job guarding Larmarcus Aldridge. :D The Spurs number two leading scorer is Rudy Gay at 11.5 ppg. Aldridge has led the Spurs to third in the West without Leonard. Meanwhile, the 500ish Pelicans got two big man starters, Cousins and AD.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#223 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Woj Bomb: Kemba made available, Lakers make sense, Kemba for Lonzo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#224 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm

The Lakers have no reason to trade Ball on his rookie deal for Kemba who'll be 28-29 after next season when he'll be a UFA and due a huge contract. Unless they get LeBron.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#225 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 pm

If the Hornets are able to trade Kemba, that is one more team that will probably crater harder than the Jazz and get more lotto balls.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#226 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 am

Was fun watching the Thunder destroy the Cavs today. Man, the Cavs have some serious paint issues. Love didn't play, TT is a shell of his banner years. A guy could see Favors fitting in there for a playoff push. But if a contract with JR Smith is in any way involved, count me the hell out. That guy is so past-peak it is sad - he's just a bad basketball player anymore.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#227 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

Anyway the Jazz can play matchmaker with Durant and a Kardashian? The Kardashians seem to be the death knell of players, and it would really help bring down the GSW budding dynasty.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#228 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Anyway the Jazz can play matchmaker with Durant and a Kardashian? The Kardashians seem to be the death knell of players, and it would really help bring down the GSW budding dynasty.

That works in theory, until we're reminded that the Warriors won a championship without Durant, won 73 games without Durant, and had a 3-1 finals lead at another NBA finals without Durant, which they lost due to complacency and the biggest meltdown in NBA history. The truth is that the Warriors could lose Durant and still be the heavy favorites to win a championship.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#229 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Anyway the Jazz can play matchmaker with Durant and a Kardashian? The Kardashians seem to be the death knell of players, and it would really help bring down the GSW budding dynasty.

That works in theory, until we're reminded that the Warriors won a championship without Durant, won 73 games without Durant, and had a 3-1 finals lead at another NBA finals without Durant, which they lost due to complacency and the biggest meltdown in NBA history. The truth is that the Warriors could lose Durant and still be the heavy favorites to win a championship.

Depends? Where KD goes?
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#230 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Had KD stayed in OKC I could have seen them winning last years or this years championship. OKC was starting to look good against the Dubs. Westbrook may not be efficient, but he is so athletic it put a ton of strain on Curry both on offense and defense. I think OKC would have had a realistic window to win these next couple years and Durant would have been seen as a hero instead of a sorta villain sellout or whatever people think about him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#231 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Depends? Where KD goes?

Rehab, if the Kardashians are involved.

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#232 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:That works in theory, until we're reminded that the Warriors won a championship without Durant, won 73 games without Durant, and had a 3-1 finals lead at another NBA finals without Durant, which they lost due to complacency and the biggest meltdown in NBA history. The truth is that the Warriors could lose Durant and still be the heavy favorites to win a championship.

Depends? Where KD goes?

Isn't Harden dating a Kardashian? :lol:
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#233 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:Depends? Where KD goes?

He was but she’s with TT now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#234 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:Depends? Where KD goes?

Is he still? That's why he lost the MVP to Westbrook.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#235 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#236 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 pm

This is funny:
Read on Twitter

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#237 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Holy Santa Claus **** I called it, I mother freaking called it, I knew Kawhi would be pissed about the last few off-seasons signing bad contracts.
Ingles is cooked.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach

Post#238 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

GobertReport wrote:Holy Santa Claus **** I called it, I mother freaking called it, I knew Kawhi would be pissed about the last few off-seasons signing bad contracts.

IDK, they are the 6th best team in the league right now with Kawhi being out all season. If he was healthy, they'd be as good as anybody outside of GS, and they aren't a fair measuring stick.

Kinda seems like there's something else going on here. It almost seemed like he was unhappy with the way the team is handling his injury problems, but I kind of wonder if he might have wanted LMA traded, and is pissed they kept him.

Hard to say, but even though some of those offseason moves seem questionable, you can't really complain about where that team is at playing without Kawhi.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#239 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Holy Santa Claus **** I called it, I mother freaking called it, I knew Kawhi would be pissed about the last few off-seasons signing bad contracts.

IDK, they are the 6th best team in the league right now with Kawhi being out all season. If he was healthy, they'd be as good as anybody outside of GS, and they aren't a fair measuring stick.

Kinda seems like there's something else going on here. It almost seemed like he was unhappy with the way the team is handling his injury problems, but I kind of wonder if he might have wanted LMA traded, and is pissed they kept him.

Hard to say, but even though some of those offseason moves seem questionable, you can't really complain about where that team is at playing without Kawhi.

I don't disagree but I am going to say right now that the reason Dennis Lindsey spouts so much about cap flexibility is because of Kawhi Leonard, i am pretty sure it was DL who pushed for the Spurs to draft Kawhi, if Kawhi wants to be apart of a big three than adding himself to Gobert and Mitchell makes the Jazz insane, the Jazz maybe losing so badly so they can have a good enough pick in the summer come draft night they can swing for Kawhi, sure we are tanking but its not for a rookie but a player like Kawhi who fits so well into the Jazz mold and the reason why we haven't seen a Mirotic trade yet is because that 1st round pick is earmarked for Kawhi Leonard come draft night.

Edit: Also a team built around Exum-Mitchell-Kawhi-Mirotic-Gobert challenges Golden State.
Ingles is cooked.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach

Post#240 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

I don't disagree but I am going to say right now that the reason Dennis Lindsey spouts so much about cap flexibility is because of Kawhi Leonard, i am pretty sure it was DL who pushed for the Spurs to draft Kawhi, if Kawhi wants to be apart of a big three than adding himself to Gobert and Mitchell makes the Jazz insane, the Jazz maybe losing so badly so they can have a good enough pick in the summer come draft night they can swing for Kawhi, sure we are tanking but its not for a rookie but a player like Kawhi who fits so well into the Jazz mold and the reason why we haven't seen a Mirotic trade yet is because that 1st round pick is earmarked for Kawhi Leonard come draft night.

Edit: Also a team built around Exum-Mitchell-Kawhi-Mirotic-Gobert challenges Golden State.

Sorry, but I think you're dreaming if you believe we could trade for Kawhi and still keep Gobert and Mitchell. Utah's pick alone this year doesn't do it and we don't have much else. Future picks wouldn't matter as they are likely to be very late picks.

If you're going to dream of Kawhi, you might as well dream about signing him as a FA in a year because a trade just isn't gonna happen.

Return to Utah Jazz