Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018 

Post#841 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:08 pm

I have to say that Derrick Favors, Dante, and our pick is looking a lot better for the Spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#842 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm

[quote="GobertReport"]I have to say that Derrick Favors, Dante, and our pick is looking a lot better for the Spurs.

Pipe dream. If DL somehow made this happen he would be a legend. But this isn’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,207

Post#843 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:00 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I will say that Hayward would be a great fit in San Antonio's system and under Popovich...

I am pretty sure he is the guy that Boston sends out, they can’t afford to send out fodder and keep Horford, Hayward, Irving, and Kawhiz

I'm sure that's whom they'd like to send out, with that huge contract and coming back from a serious injury. And the fact that the Celtics almost made the Finals with two young forwards/wings.

But why would San Antonio want to take on that contract with uncertainty about his health?
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#844 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:29 am

wco81 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I will say that Hayward would be a great fit in San Antonio's system and under Popovich...

I am pretty sure he is the guy that Boston sends out, they can’t afford to send out fodder and keep Horford, Hayward, Irving, and Kawhiz

I'm sure that's whom they'd like to send out, with that huge contract and coming back from a serious injury. And the fact that the Celtics almost made the Finals with two young forwards/wings.

But why would San Antonio want to take on that contract with uncertainty about his health?

Because the Spurs would also demand more than Hayward back. Hayward and Brown, Hayward and a couple picks, Hayward, Rozier, and a pick, etc. It wouldn’t be just Hayward.

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#845 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Because the Spurs would also demand more than Hayward back. Hayward and Brown, Hayward and a couple picks, Hayward, Rozier, and a pick, etc. It wouldn’t be just Hayward.

your trading a player in Hayward who wanted to play in Boston for a player who's has one year left who could fly ASAP? For a player who i think could'v played yet set on the bench while team mates played they guts out. Good player sure but not one i'd give up to much for. Not even Brown straight across let alone throw GH into the deal. They don't need KL.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#846 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

your trading a player in Hayward who wanted to play in Boston for a player who's has one year left who could fly ASAP? For a player who i think could'v played yet set on the bench while team mates played they guts out. Good player sure but not one i'd give up to much for. Not even Brown straight across let alone throw GH into the deal. They don't need KL.

Supposedly Boston is on his shortlist of teams he would re-sign with.

Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#847 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

GobertReport wrote:I have to say that Derrick Favors, Dante, and our pick is looking a lot better for the Spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

For a one year rental....No thanks.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#848 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Got some great young talent and i'd keep them together and not touch KL. Not a team player. Me player. Should've laced them up last year even if Pops is a F#$9ing idiot.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#849 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote: your trading a player in Hayward who wanted to play in Boston for a player who's has one year left who could fly ASAP? For a player who i think could'v played yet set on the bench while team mates played they guts out. Good player sure but not one i'd give up to much for. Not even Brown straight across let alone throw GH into the deal. They don't need KL.

Got some great young talent and i'd keep them together and not touch KL. Not a team player. Me player. Should've laced them up last year even if Pops is a F#$9ing idiot.

I don’t think we can judge the situation, there are times I think I should have put my health over the mission in the military, he’s doing the smart thing.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#850 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:15 am

I think Ainge makes some offer(s) for KL, but I don't think Hayward will be in a Boston offer for the reasons that they just barely recruited him and Coach Stevens has a personal relationship with Hayward. Stevens probably wants to give his old player a chance. And sending him packing before he's even played one full game might be a hit to Ainge and Stevens' credibility for signing UFAs in the future.

Moreover, I tend to agree with RDjazz that Hayward is too much for a one year rental of KL, even if KL says he will probably re-sign. KL can't make a binding promise to re-sign next year; he can just say he would strongly consider it like I think Paul George told OKC last summer if I am not mistaken.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#851 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 am

Crunch 99 wrote:I think Ainge makes some offer(s) for KL, but I don't think Hayward will be in a Boston package for the reasons that they just barely recruited him and Coach Stevens has a personal relationship with Hayward. Stevens probably wants to give his old player a chance.
And sending him packing before he's even played one full game might be a hit to Ainge and Stevens' credibility for recruiting players in the future goes.

Moreever, I tend to agree with RDjazz that Hayward is too much for a one year rental of KL, even if KL says he will probably re-sign. KL can't make a binding promise to re-sign next year; he can just say he would strongly consider it like I think Paul George told OKC last summer if I am not mistaken.

Money doesn’t make sense though, Celtics can’t pay 140 mill for 4 players.

Ingles is cooked.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,207

Post#852 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:54 am

Crunch 99 wrote:I think Ainge makes some offer(s) for KL, but I don't think Hayward will be in a Boston offer for the reasons that they just barely recruited him and Coach Stevens has a personal relationship with Hayward. Stevens probably wants to give his old player a chance.
And sending him packing before he's even played one full game might be a hit to Ainge and Stevens' credibility for signing UFAs in the future.

Moreover, I tend to agree with RDjazz that Hayward is too much for a one year rental of KL, even if KL says he will probably re-sign. KL can't make a binding promise to re-sign next year; he can just say he would strongly consider it like I think Paul George told OKC last summer if I am not mistaken.

If Boston is as sold on Tatum and Brown as they claim, Hayward is not worth $30 plus million a year to them, even if he comes back successfully from injury.

But it would be a bad look if they dumped Hayward, right after they dumped ISaiah Thomas.

Hayward has a player option in a couple more years to super max out his salary. I would really be surprised if Boston gave him a $200 million plus deal then. They'd have to pay Tatum and Brown at that point and would have probably given big extensions to Kyrie and Horford after this next season.

They may have to win the title next season to make sense of these big money decisions a year from now.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#853 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:I think Ainge makes some offer(s) for KL, but I don't think Hayward will be in a Boston offer for the reasons that they just barely recruited him and Coach Stevens has a personal relationship with Hayward. Stevens probably wants to give his old player a chance. And sending him packing before he's even played one full game might be a hit to Ainge and Stevens' credibility for signing UFAs in the future.

Good point, though that problem of $140 mill for four players would not kick in this season. ESPN has a brief piece this morning on what the Celtics could offer. Both Bobby Marks and Kevin Pelton think including Hayward in a trade could make sense for the Celtics' future, but Pelton goes on to say "Including Hayward in a trade the year after signing him in free agency is probably a nonstarter". Ainge is a pretty bold GM, but trading Hayward still presents the problem of swapping a long term contract for a player who is only legally contracted for one season. They also discuss the idea of trading Irving, who like KL, has one season left on his contract, as well as discuss trading a collection of lesser pieces.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23826138/kawhi-leonard-trades-boston-celtics-offer

I saw a comment on the general board suggesting that the Spurs might be more interested in working out a trade with their old assistant coach, 76er coach and interim GM Brett Brown. I do think there is some merit to the notion that the Spurs would probably prefer to trade KL to EC and will try to avoid doing anything that has the potential to dramatically help the Lakers.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#854 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:I think Ainge makes some offer(s) for KL, but I don't think Hayward will be in a Boston offer for the reasons that they just barely recruited him and Coach Stevens has a personal relationship with Hayward. Stevens probably wants to give his old player a chance. And sending him packing before he's even played one full game might be a hit to Ainge and Stevens' credibility for signing UFAs in the future.

Good point, though that problem of $140 mill for four players would not kick in this season. ESPN has a brief piece this morning on what the Celtics could offer. Both Bobby Marks and Kevin Pelton think including Hayward in a trade could make sense for the Celtics' future, but Pelton goes on to say "Including Hayward in a trade the year after signing him in free agency is probably a nonstarter". Ainge is a pretty bold GM, but trading Hayward still presents the problem of swapping a long term contract for a player who is only legally contracted for one season. They also discuss the idea of trading Irving, who like KL, has one season left on his contract, as well as discuss trading a collection of lesser pieces.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23826138/kawhi-leonard-trades-boston-celtics-offer

I saw a comment on the general board suggesting that the Spurs might be more interested in working out a trade with their old assistant coach, 76er coach and interim GM Brett Brown. I do think there is something to notion that the Spurs would probably prefer to trade KL to EC and will try to avoid doing anything that has the potential to dramatically help the Lakers.

Yes true but then you run into trading Hayward or letting Irving or Kawhi walk the following season. They could trade Horford but then they are weak at the big position.

Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#855 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh please, please, please NBA-gods, have Haywood get traded back to the West after only playing a few minutes in Boston, and being dismissed as non-essential. I could then remove the majority of my Haywood-hate, as I'd feel he got what he deserved for his handling of his Jazz departure.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#856 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:55 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Oh please, please, please NBA-gods, have Haywood get traded back to the West after only playing a few minutes in Boston, and being dismissed as non-essential. I could then remove the majority of my Haywood-hate, as I'd feel he got what he deserved for his handling of his Jazz departure.

I second this and let us sign PG as the 2nd knife to Hayward.

Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#857 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 am

GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I don’t think we can judge the situation, there are times I think I should have put my health over the mission in the military, he’s doing the smart thing.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1258228803905
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#858 » by Feilong » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Read on Twitter

WTF???
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#859 » by stitches » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Feilong wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF???

I get why BKN is doing this... why is CHA doing it?
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#860 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:33 pm

CBS Sports
Report: Hornets' Howard traded to Nets for Mozgov

The Charlotte Hornets are reportedly finalizing a deal to trade Dwight Howard to the Nets in exchange for Timofey Mozgov, and two future second-round picks.

I think this signals a rebuild for the Hornets. Any other pieces worth chasing?

Batum makes way too much money ($22m) & has 3 more years left on his deal.
I'm a big Kebma Fan (especially at only $12m a year), but not sure how that would work unless another team wanted Rubio.
Marvin Williams is older, but could come back & add to the team's need for a shooting PF, but at $13m and 2 more years, is he good fit financially?
Kidd-Gilchrist fits the Jazz's age, defensive identity and can play both forward spots, but adds even less floor spacing than Favors.
Lamb or Kaminsky, perhaps? ..... I dunno, I can see why the Hornets would blow this up, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Return to Utah Jazz