Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018 

Post#501 » by TNJazz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:I am so glad that we didn't extend Hood. At this point, unless he suddenly gets hot in the playoffs for an extended run, I think his reputation now is a frequently injured player who is a lousy defender. Hood missed 25% of his Cleveland regular season games with various injuries and he left two other games early with injuries. He finished the regular season ranked number 101 for Defensive Real Plus Minus for shooting guards at minus 3.06.

If he wants to ever get paid as a good NBA starter, he might have to accept a low one year deal somewhere for the 2018-19 season and hope he has a better showing next year. JMO.

While Crowder isn't "killing it" this was a terrific trade and upgrade for us. I didn't realize Hood has missed so many games with the Cav's, I never thought he was what we needed, too soft and Crowder has been a true team player. He hustles and gives us a little spunky edge that Hood didn't have.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#502 » by stitches » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am

I was wrong on Saric. He's turning into a player ...
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#503 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:19 pm

stitches wrote:I was wrong on Saric. He's turning into a player ...

You and me both. I would have liked to trade for him just for the potential, but that potential was realized sooner and greater than I had imagined.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#504 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Houston looked mortal against the Wolves in a game where KAT didn't even show up for. The Wolves D was pretty good with the exception of limiting Harden but no one can do that anyway. If this turns into a competitive series I'd suggest that the WCF is more open than most people believe.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#505 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:Houston looked mortal against the Wolves in a game where KAT didn't even show up for. The Wolves D was pretty good with the exception of limiting Harden but no one can do that anyway. If this turns into a competitive series I'd suggest that the WCF is more open than most people believe.

The best team to beat Houston (besides dubs) has to be the Wolves. A good perimeter defender and an elite big man who can go off on any given night.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#506 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am

Jrue is a beast.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#507 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

Really impressive stuff from NOP. They are completely out hustling POR and making some big shots.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#508 » by AingesBurner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 am

Pels looking like they could sweep Portland, does that mean McCollum on the block if it happens?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#509 » by BudTugly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:57 am

KqWIN wrote:Really impressive stuff from POR. They are completely out hustling POR and making some big shots.

Instructive. Pels putting on a clinic on how to defend Ptown. Gentry n his boys just shut down the guard play by blitzing it constantly.

We never do that on principle which in some ways I understand because overall we are either #1 or close to it. Still feels like our defense could be better against almost all evidence.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#510 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 am

BudTugly wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Really impressive stuff from POR. They are completely out hustling POR and making some big shots.

Instructive. Pels putting on a clinic on how to defend Ptown. Gentry n his boys just shut down the guard play by blitzing it constantly.

We never do that on principle which in some ways I understand because overall we are either #1 or close to it. Still feels like our defense could be better against almost all evidence.

Yep, I had called POR the worse matchup because of the way we typically play defense, but NOP just makes it look so easy when they trap Lillard. Even if it's Mirotic blitzing, Dame looks useless. They also don't have the shooters to punish the defense when they are scrambling.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#511 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 am

GobertReport wrote:Pels looking like they could sweep Portland, does that mean McCollum on the block if it happens?

CJ is one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. Even if he was, I'd stay away from whatever their asking price would be.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#512 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 am

Pels doing what I thought they would. Playoff AD is unreal.

BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#513 » by BudTugly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 am

KqWIN wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

Yep, I had called POR the worse matchup because of the way we typically play defense, but NOP just makes it look so easy when they trap Lillard. Even if it's Mirotic blitzing, Dame looks useless. They also don't have the shooters to punish the defense when they are scrambling.

They don’t have nearly the roster we have in terms of executing defense but they sold out to wreck Portland’s guards. Portland doesn’t have playmakers away from the guard spots so everybody becomes uncomfortable when the ball has to be worked around some.

Utah has also defended Portland well at times, it’s not like we got swept on the season series. But it is instructive to see a lesser overall defensive team wreck the Blazers with a simple game plan and some effort.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#514 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 am

BudTugly wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

They don’t have nearly the roster we have in terms of executing defense but they sold out to wreck Portland’s guards. Portland doesn’t have playmakers away from the guard spots so everybody becomes uncomfortable when the ball has to be worked around some.

Utah has also defended Portland well at times, it’s not like we got swept on the season series. But it is instructive to see a lesser overall defensive team wreck the Blazers with a simple game plan and some effort.

I just imagined Dame and CJ hitting long jumpers over and over against us because that's what our defense concedes. Maybe I should have had more faith in Quin to start blitzing...but I just thought they had the personnel to exploit our base defense. I was much more comfortable with WB running at Gobert in the paint then letting those two pop off long jumpers with Gobert dropping in the paint. Little did I know Playoff P would roast us from distance anyways :lol:

We also struggle with POR's defense. They play the same way as us, and we struggle to hit those pull ups off the dribble. Davis and Holiday are offensive threats that we just don't have right now. OKC plays a more aggressive style, and I was hoping we could pass around it, but their length gave us problems. Mainly with PG smothering Ingles out of the game. Still, I think we'd look at that game differently if Rubio had a better shooting night.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018 

Post#515 » by AingesBurner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 am

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Pels looking like they could sweep Portland, does that mean McCollum on the block if it happens?

CJ is one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. Even if he was, I'd stay away from whatever their asking price would be.

I think a few teams might try, Cleveland being an interesting one.
Orlando too, Isaac and Forny for McCollum.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#516 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 am

Jaylen Brown really stepped up his game ever since the injuries hit the Celtics.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#517 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I don’t think I would trade for CJ. They would want too much for what we would have to give up. I do want Portland to be unsuccessful so Dame considers leaving in a few years though. As a player who has said he would consider Utah it would be wild to see Dame and DM playing with each other in two years.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#518 » by AingesBurner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:I don’t think I would trade for CJ. They would want too much for what we would have to give up. I do want Portland to be unsuccessful so Dame considers leaving in a few tyrants though. As a player who has said he would consider Utah it would be wild to see Dame and DM playing with each other in two years.

I thought it was longer then 2 years?
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Around the NBA, Season 2017-2018 

Post#519 » by sipclip » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm

TNJazz wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:I am so glad that we didn't extend Hood. At this point, unless he suddenly gets hot in the playoffs for an extended run, I think his reputation now is a frequently injured player who is a lousy defender. Hood missed 25% of his Cleveland regular season games with various injuries and he left two other games early with injuries. He finished the regular season ranked number 101 for Defensive Real Plus Minus for shooting guards at minus 3.06.

If he wants to ever get paid as a good NBA starter, he might have to accept a low one year deal somewhere for the 2018-19 season and hope he has a better showing next year. JMO.

While Crowder isn't "killing it" this was a terrific trade and upgrade for us. I didn't realize Hood has missed so many games with the Cav's, I never thought he was what we needed, too soft and Crowder has been a true team player. He hustles and gives us a little spunky edge that Hood didn't have.

What is lost in the trade though was Joe Johnson getting shipped out. Personally I would like this team a hell of a lot more right now with Joe Johnson providing a spark off the bench. I don't think he would do what he did last year but he would be an extremely valuable piece in playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#520 » by TNJazz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Completely agree with the JJ portion of this deal. I bet he saw how things were rolling (Poorly at the time) and wanted to go where he thought he was going to have a chance of at least going to the playoffs but more likely a chance at a ring. Had the team being playing near or at the level they played after the trade, I believe JJ would still be here and our chances of going deep would be higher than now. I don't blame him for wanting to go for it at this stage of his career. He's earned that and he did us good while here.

Now if we advance, like I predict we will, I hope he isn't a big factor and then wishes he had stayed...

Return to Utah Jazz