Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Welcome to treadmillville 

Post#41 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 am

Dry Fly wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Inigo, you have my total respect but you are a bit Debbie Downer as a moderator.

He loves misery I think. The mantle of being a mod though... I don't agree. A pollyanna mod is probably more lame than a grinch mod. (BTW I'm trying to antagonize him a little) :P

I may be a grinch but it was the Jazz who just gave all of us a lump of coal with the Miami game.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#42 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Cut Inigo some slack, he’s just joining in the banter. Jazz fans have good reason to be depressed. Can I get an amen if you are listening to some Nirvana?

I'm more of a Nick Cave, Smashing Pumpkins guy, but Amen.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#43 » by FJS » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm

The worst of all, it's I don't have any tie with SLC, even with the USA. I love basketball, and between all the 30 teams from the NBA I had to choose Utah Jazz... oh man!
Being serious, I chose Jazz because I fell in love with the play of Stockton and Malone. I really love this team and his history, and I enjoy writting here, and met some fans from SLC and around the world.
Still, I'm depressed to know that maybe I won't see Jazz never to win one chip. I began to support Jazz when I was 8, in 1988. Right know I'm almost 38 and I think our best chances were 20 years ago, and maybe we'll never sniff that another time.
In my country (Spain) I am a soccer and Basketball fan of FC. Barcelona. They use to win national title very often, or international title. So often, that I enjoy that, but I think it will never compared if Jazz could win the title.
I think I will cry of joy, as I did as a child whe FCB won his 1st Champions league in 1992 (I was 12).
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#44 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 am

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Andy gets it.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#45 » by BudTugly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:34 am

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we just trudge with mediocre teams until the lottery reform goes into effect, and then continue to churn out mediocre teams because they could sell the fanbase that with the rule changes there is no reason not to do it.

The thing that bothers me to no end is that we had the best scenario and case to do a targeted one year tank. We just lost our 2 best offensive players and had a rookie with ton of potential and a star entering the first year of a 4 year contract. This is the absolute perfect moment for a targeted tank - while we had 4 years on Gobert's contract. We had enough time to get the future offensive superstar, develop him and get him to a place where playing with him and possibly Mitchell(if he pans out) would be enticing enough for Gobert to resign when the time comes.

I don’t mean to be rotten but what should bother all of us is what the Jazz did with the great wealth of picks they had. I’m excited about Mitchell and Gobert. These dudes are legit. I don’t know about Hood, Burks has been hurt and disappointing, Dante has been on ice his whole career, Kanter, Burke, Lyles. Thanks so much to Denver for gifting us DM for a bum. Oh, yea they fouled up the Hayward extension.

My point is this organization regularly fails at high draft picks. I get the idea but these people will let the next Jordan pass for some bum. Utah sucks at drafting high. They are pretty good at identifying and pursuing prospects late lottery and beyond. But they are garbage with high picks.

I guess my question is how are you Tankers going to convince the Jazz to hire you? You guys are clearly better at identifying talent than our FO.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#46 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 am

BudTugly wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we just trudge with mediocre teams until the lottery reform goes into effect, and then continue to churn out mediocre teams because they could sell the fanbase that with the rule changes there is no reason not to do it.

The thing that bothers me to no end is that we had the best scenario and case to do a targeted one year tank. We just lost our 2 best offensive players and had a rookie with ton of potential and a star entering the first year of a 4 year contract. This is the absolute perfect moment for a targeted tank - while we had 4 years on Gobert's contract. We had enough time to get the future offensive superstar, develop him and get him to a place where playing with him and possibly Mitchell(if he pans out) would be enticing enough for Gobert to resign when the time comes.

I don’t mean to be rotten but what should bother all of us is what the Jazz did with the great wealth of picks they had. I’m excited about Mitchell and Gobert. These dudes are legit. I don’t know about Hood, Burks has been hurt and disappointing, Dante has been on ice his whole career, Kanter, Burke, Lyles. Thanks so much to Denver for gifting us DM for a bum. Oh, yea they fouled up the Hayward extension.

My point is this organization regularly fails at high draft picks. I get the idea but these people will let the next Jordan pass for some bum. Utah sucks at drafting high. They are pretty good at identifying and pursuing prospects late lottery and beyond. But they are garbage with high picks.

I guess my question is how are you Tankers going to convince the Jazz to hire you? You guys are clearly better at identifying talent than our FO.

This is a very legitimate concern. Something I've thought a lot about recently. It's also why I've also always loved the idea of 2 or 3 first round draft picks per draft. The Jazz have had a though time identifying good prospects in the high lotto. To be fair the Dante thing isn't their fault. Just pure crap luck. But drafting Kanter, missing on CJ, passing on Giannis, are all pretty bad signs. No front office is perfect though. Which is why I'm all about increasing the odds of a player panning out and having multiple picks. It's also why I hate the fact we traded away two first round draft picks for Hill and Rubio. Two guys who have no place in our long term future. I think trading those picks might bug me more than missing on certain players. We would have been better off drafting BPA at those spots.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#47 » by stitches » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 am

BudTugly wrote:
stitches wrote:

No, it just happens that the two drafts we had high draft picks in happened to be bad/unlucky/injury ridden high pick drafts. It matters which draft you draft in. There are drafts and then there are DRAFTS(example, I would have tanked last year and this coming year, I wouldn't have tanked in the Ben Simmons year, because I didn't see the high end talent besides Simmons/Ingram). When you look at the Exum draft, there is no star after Exum got drafted. Everybody around that pick is either a bust or their career has been severely altered by injuries. Look at the Kanter draft. The first all-star in that draft(after Kanter) was Kemba... then Klay at 11 and Kawhi at 15. Noone was projecting Klay or Kawhi at 3. NOONE. There is no front office you could have hired that would have drafted either of them at 3. Both are completely different level of players now than when they entered the league. Kawhi is even a different TYPE of player now.
We also drafted Deron high. Don't draw conclusions based on small samples and/or bad drafts. This front office has had a single top 5 pick and that's Exum. And he missed a year and a half with ACL and now is missing another year with shoulder injury. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Exum might still turn out to be a good player(probably not all star). Picks after the top 5-6 are really not as successful as you might think. The all-star success rate in the 6-10 range is probably about 10-15%. That's why you tank for no. 1, not for no.8

Also I wouldn't say we are better identifying talent than our FO. I wanted Exum in the draft and if I had to play it out again, I probably would choose Exum again(and hope his development doesn't get stunted by series of injuries). I don't remember my thoughts on the Kanter draft but he looked like a talented player from the few vids I saw of him at the time. He just turned out to be horrible defender.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#48 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:06 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Favors threw a little shade on Andy's conclusion less than 24 hours later. Given our desperate need for better offense and Favor's more versatile offensive game, we might win more games, not less games, with Rudy on the bench and Favors starting at Center.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#49 » by AingesBurner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Favors threw a little doubt on Andy's conclusion less than 24 hours later. Given our need for offense and Favor's more versatile offensive game at this point in their respective careers, we might win more games, not less games, with Rudy on the bench and Favors starting at Center for the rest of the year.

If you bench either one of them we will win games.

Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#50 » by stitches » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Favors threw a little doubt on Andy's conclusion less than 24 hours later. Given our need for offense and Favor's more versatile offensive game at this point in their respective careers, we might win more games, not less games, with Rudy on the bench and Favors starting at Center for the rest of the year.

Don't draw conclusions based on single games. Also if you turn to a tank, Favors should be gone for the best future asset you can get so it probably will be Bradley or Udoh playing instead of Rudy.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#51 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:03 am

stitches wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Favors threw a little shade on Andy's conclusion less than 24 hours later. Given our need for offense and Favor's more versatile offensive game at this point in their respective careers, we might win more games, not less games, with Rudy on the bench and Favors starting at Center.

Don't draw conclusions based on single games.

Well we are going to get a much longer sample now that Gobert is out least four weeks, so we will see.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#52 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Andy Larsen had a good take on the NJ game. Weird as it is to say, the spacing with Favors, Rubio, Mitchell, Hood and Sef/Ingles really has more potential than previous line ups. And it lets Fav's play his game freely, much less Rubio. If this holds Fav's value is on the way up, which is good for him and the Jazz. Oh, and yeah, GobertReport got a shout out so Andy still apparently lurks over here.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46196786&nid=294
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#53 » by AingesBurner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Andy Larsen had a good take on the NJ game. Weird as it is to say, the spacing with Favors, Rubio, Mitchell, Hood and Sef/Ingles really has more potential than previous line ups. And it lets Fav's play his game freely, much less Rubio. If this holds Fav's value is on the way up, which is good for him and the Jazz. Oh, and yeah, GobertReport got a shout out so Andy still apparently lurks over here.

My street cred just keeps going up, can we just have my RealGM standing go from Head Coach to RealGm OG. I think Favs will be traded by January because his value is going to soar at the center position.
Ingles is cooked.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#54 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 pm

GobertReport wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Andy Larsen had a good take on the NJ game. Weird as it is to say, the spacing with Favors, Rubio, Mitchell, Hood and Sef/Ingles really has more potential than previous line ups. And it lets Fav's play his game freely, much less Rubio. If this holds Fav's value is on the way up, which is good for him and the Jazz. Oh, and yeah, GobertReport got a shout out so Andy still apparently lurks over here.

My street cred just keeps going up, can we just have my RealGM standing go from Head Coach to RealGm OG. I think Favs will be traded by January because his value is going to soar at the center position.

Oh great RealGM OG, who are we gonna get back for Favors? A player or a salary dump or a pick?
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#55 » by AingesBurner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Oh great RealGM OG, who are we gonna get back for Favors? A player or a salary dump or a pick?

If DL has the balls you go after a player who fits our system or the very least a pick.

Ingles is cooked.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#56 » by tleikheen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

If DL has the balls you go after a player who fits our system

Our system is Snyders system plain and simple :

28th in scoring
26th in rebounding
27th in assists
3rd in highest turnovers

And all this is likely to get worst....why would you be advocating for more of *Our System*
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#57 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 pm

GobertReport wrote:

Respect.

Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#58 » by Dry Fly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 am

GobertReport is Andy Larsens alter ego. Haha... seriously though that is pretty cool.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#59 » by AingesBurner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Respect.

Dry Fly wrote:GobertReport is Andy Larsens alter ego. Haha... seriously though that is pretty cool.

Thanks Inigo.

Hahaha definitely not his alter ego.

Ingles is cooked.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#60 » by BarneyGumble » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 am

BudTugly wrote:
stitches wrote:

To be fair, the Jazz aren’t exactly the most experienced franchise when it comes to high lottery picks. We’ve never had the #1 pick for instance. How many top 5 picks have we had? I’d say we are at least par for the course. CLE has had 5 #1 overall picks in the LeBron era alone.

Return to Utah Jazz