Let’s trade Gobert

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Let’s trade Gobert 

Post#1 » by BarneyGumble » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:02 am

I love the guy, but let’s face it. He has peaked. And it’s an awesome peak. But Hayward left us, and our team is going nowhere. We have a lot of holes. Let’s put Gobert on the market... my asking price is five first round picks, and some bitcoin.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: Let’s trade Gobert 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 am

Nah dude, you wait at least 2 seasons before you do that, he’s a serious competitor, can’t help that DL put together a flawed roster, you fire DL and even Snyder before trading Gobert.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by BarneyGumble » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:07 am

GobertReport wrote:Nah dude, you wait at least 2 seasons before you do that, he’s a serious competitor, can’t help that DL put together a flawed roster, you fire DL and even Snyder before trading Gobert.

Rudy’s value is highest now. If you can get a kings ransom for him, you have a chance to build a new talented roster with no limits the way the Philadelphia 76ers did , sans all the tanking.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#4 » by Rauxcee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 am

You have a fire sale on everyone but Gobert and Mitchell IMO. There is no reason to trade him yet. Maybe in 2 seasons, but not now.

Maybe the Jazz get a good pick this year. A lot of players come off the books this year, and if we're lucky maybe we can get some picks for our low value players in a trade.

The Jazz have a lot if issues, but needing to trade Gobert is not one of them.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by BarneyGumble » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 am

Rauxcee wrote:You have a fire sale on everyone but Gobert and Mitchell IMO. There is no reason to trade him yet. Maybe in 2 seasons, but not now.

Maybe the Jazz get a good pick this year. A lot of players come off the books this year, and if we're lucky maybe we can get some picks for our low value players in a trade.

The problem is, nobody else on our roster has value but those guys. All I’m saying is, set the asking price so high, that only in the perfect situation would you say yes.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 am

BarneyGumble wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:You have a fire sale on everyone but Gobert and Mitchell IMO. There is no reason to trade him yet. Maybe in 2 seasons, but not now.

The problem is, nobody else on our roster has value but those guys. All I’m saying is, set the asking price so high, that only in the perfect situation would you say yes.

No team has the assets IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#7 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

Phoenix can do 5 firsts and Monroe.

Miami, Miami, Milwaukee, Phoenix (ours top 10 protected) and we'll trade Bender or Chriss for the 5th.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:41 am

I'm not weighing in on if we should or shouldn't trade Gobert with this post, but I'd just like to point out that if you wait 2 more seasons to do it you're essentially trading him as a 1-year rental at that point, which will lower his value. Learn from past mistakes. If you're going to move him, move him when he has the most value. Doesn't have to be this season, but to get the most out of him, I'd say the time would be after the end of next season at the latest.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#9 » by pickIBL » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm not weighing in on if we should or shouldn't trade Gobert with this post, but I'd just like to point out that if you wait 2 more seasons to do it you're essentially trading him as a 1-year rental at that point, which will lower his value. Learn from past mistakes. If you're going to move him, move him when he has the most value. Doesn't have to be this season, but to get the most out of him, I'd say the time would be after the end of next season at the latest.

Your point is valid. However, if Gobert is taking max extensions there is no need to trade him. This whole concept that everyone is gonna leave is not accurate. The whole point of drafting and developing internationals (and folks that are happy playing for the Jazz) is so that you can extend and keep them.

I think you have to give Gobert some credit. He likely knows to build a real legacy you dont team jump and ride coattails.

Blowing it up is actually easy. But that's not a plan, especially if you are drafting guys who don't want to be here.

The real challenge is taking Gobert and Mitchell and actually building something to take the mantle from the warriors a few years down the road.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Guys don't pass up the first big contract. They pass up the second. If Utah doesn't put together a quality basketball team Gobert is gone after this current contract. That's why it's really, really important that this season is the tank and we get a chance at a high pick. Then we trade Favs, vets, Rubio for other mid to late first round draft picks. We can go sign vets in two years time. We need a talent upgrade and there is no way around it.

eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#11 » by eLo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:06 pm

we are wasting Gob time right now, put him on roster of teams like Cle; Rox etc and they would have relatively big chances to beat GSW, as he is not dominant offensive type of big he is totally useless with this Jazz roster, and his value will consistently drop because we cant use him in efficient way.

Interesting thing could we get Fultz and Okafor for Gob plus filer
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#12 » by dr0welf » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I think Gobert stays and builds us a championship, I don't see him leaving. He is the center piece we build around; and a more in control Mitchell is the other piece. Everyone else is available as even our defense isn't as good as it should be with the players we have.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#13 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:23 pm

If the Jazz trade Gobert they could get a top 3 pick this year. That and the natural tank would get us 2 top 5 players. Doncic and Bamba (to replace Gobert).

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#14 » by dautjazz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:43 pm

eLo wrote:we are wasting Gob time right now, put him on roster of teams like Cle; Rox etc and they would have relatively big chances to beat GSW, as he is not dominant offensive type of big he is totally usefull with this Jazz roster, and his value will consistently drop because we cant use him in efficient way.

WHAT!? Fultz? AND OKAFOR? Are you kidding. Okafor SUCKS you saw how bad he was against us, and Fultz is a rookie, but man he looks BAD right now. Why are you going to trade one of the most efficient scoring bigs who is at the same time the best defensive big, for that? Makes no damn sense. Guys Gobert was runner up for DPOY and 2nd team All-NBA. The Jazz are playing bad collectively, but it's a lot of new players and it's only been 12 games, don't panic yet and try trading away your best for crap (and yeah I don't care if Fultz was the #1 overall pick, he's YEARS away from being an All-Starr (if he ever gets that good).
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#15 » by pickIBL » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Yea the jazz would waive no d oak.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 pm

I think it's a bad idea to trade Gobert. I'd see what we can get for Hood, and clear some minutes for Alec to rehabilitate his value or solidify his spot on the team. I'm also not a fan of Rubio. He's fun when he plays well, but I'm not a believer that with a team that has Favors at the 4 Rubio can be all that effective. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, we will see.

New Orleans seems like a good trade partner, get their 1st for Hood. I'm curious if other teams would bite. Moving Favors wouldn't be the worst idea, either, but I don't think we are going to get good value for him. In that case, I'd rather move Rubio for a point guard that can shoot.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 am

I would bring Rudy in on this. I would tell him if he has the opportunity to go win a championship during this contract, and then come back to us when we have some pieces that can contend with him…we can trade him now if he likes. And see what he thinks. He can even help facilitate the trade process. Bring him in as a partner on this and make him an ally for life.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#18 » by AingesBurner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:07 am

BarneyGumble wrote:I would bring Rudy in on this. I would tell him if he has the opportunity to go win a championship during this contract, and then come back to us when we have some pieces that can contend with him…we can trade him now if he likes. And see what he thinks. He can even help facilitate the trade process. Bring him in as a partner on this and make him an ally for life.

He wouldn’t come back though..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#19 » by eLo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 am

dautjazz wrote:
eLo wrote:we are wasting Gob time right now, put him on roster of teams like Cle; Rox etc and they would have relatively big chances to beat GSW, as he is not dominant offensive type of big he is totally usefull with this Jazz roster, and his value will consistently drop because we cant use him in efficient way.

WHAT!? Fultz? AND OKAFOR? Are you kidding. Okafor SUCKS you saw how bad he was against us, and Fultz is a rookie, but man he looks BAD right now. Why are you going to trade one of the most efficient scoring bigs who is at the same time the best defensive big, for that? Makes no damn sense. Guys Gobert was runner up for DPOY and 2nd team All-NBA. The Jazz are playing bad collectively, but it's a lot of new players and it's only been 12 games, don't panic yet and try trading away your best for crap (and yeah I don't care if Fultz was the #1 overall pick, he's YEARS away from being an All-Starr (if he ever gets that good).

Fultz will be an alstar much sooner that You think plus i guess changing scenery could help much for Okafor, but lets leave personalities im 100% sure that Gob is not a leader and cant be treat as one who is a center piece of good team, guy is great addition which could change good team into great one, solid in to good etc. but he is not player who could transform team from poor into good one, last season and this one proves this completely. Lets just look on his on/off stats right now, they show how wrong some people where when they stated that he will easily take Hays role as this team leader
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#20 » by pickIBL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:28 am

BarneyGumble wrote:I would bring Rudy in on this. I would tell him if he has the opportunity to go win a championship during this contract, and then come back to us when we have some pieces that can contend with him…we can trade him now if he likes. And see what he thinks. He can even help facilitate the trade process. Bring him in as a partner on this and make him an ally for life.

I was chuckling at how wacky and unrealistic the idea is. Then I remember the ATL front office tried it with the wilkins/manning deal back in the day. Didnt work of course

Return to Utah Jazz