Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: The Official Tank Slogan Thread 

Post#41 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

:wassup:
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#42 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
I fully admit I could be way off on Fultz. But his pre-draft videos did not impress me. I was more impressed by Mitchells and said it at the time. Fultz just looks very un-athletic in a league where guards better have a high level of athleticism. His instincts, passing, etc do look good. And he may be able to be a cerebral player sorta in the CP3 mold. But I have doubts about his game translating, especially his dribble penetration. I see a lot of Trey Burke floaters in Fultz future.

Yeah, I remember you not being impressed. I just think the skill is way too much for him to fail. He was doing advanced offensive moves that 95% of PGs in the league right now are incapable of doing and he was doing it on regular basis at 18 years of age. His athleticism is not elite but I also don't think it's a problem. It's probably better than that of say... a Mike Conley type.
stitches
RealGM

Post#43 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote::wassup:

Play with no blocks for Kevin Knox.
(that's thematic for Rudy's injury)

Let BKN clean our clocks for Kevin Knox....
(that's thematic for the upcoming game)

Play til the clock is shorter for Michael Porter...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#44 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm

stitches wrote:

Nah, that's cool. I took so much grief for suggesting tanking in the past few years that it was weird I didn't come to mind when mentioning this "tank right" thing.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#45 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:

Nah, that's cool. I took so much grief for suggesting tanking in the past few years that it was weird I didn't come to mind when mentioning this "tank right" thing.

Oh, lol... yah... you were a tank commander much before me. I was a sympathizer for the strategy, but not for our specific situation until Haywood left.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#46 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

stitches wrote:
BTW I haven't been harping on about a tank before Hayward left us, because I thought we had good enough team to compete, but I recognized even before that, that what Hinkie did was the best path for small market teams if they truly wanted to compete.

I was just saying you (and others) have harped on the right vs. wrong way to tank for quite some time now. Many still conflate sucking and strategically tanking. We are currently sucking, I hope we switch to tanking.

Maybe the big proponent of the right vs. wrong was Inigo? I can't remember as I stopped arguing with people about it years ago.

But I don't think opponents of the tank strategy have much to say now. The proof is in the pudding. It worked. At least they have a high level of hope of being a possible contender. We have expectations of first round exits :banghead: .
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#47 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:

Like I said, I can't remember who was the main right vs. wrong. If it was you, my bad. I stopped participating in those threads as I was a huge Hinkie/Tank fan and it felt unfruitful to try and persuade people it was going to work. Don't think there needs to be much of an argument or convincing now.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#48 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Daddy 801 wrote: I stopped participating in those threads as I was a huge Hinkie/Tank fan and it felt unfruitful to try and persuade people it was going to work. Don't think there needs to be much of an argument or convincing now.

And yet...

Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#49 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote: I stopped participating in those threads as I was a huge Hinkie/Tank fan and it felt unfruitful to try and persuade people it was going to work. Don't think there needs to be much of an argument or convincing now.

And yet...

BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#50 » by BudTugly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 am

I’m out and have been. This board is just not very interesting as I come here to learn about basketball. All this board is now is a cheer site for cheating and losing. There just isn’t anything interesting about that. It’s not hard to lose. It’s not hard to find crap contracts and teams who would like to have better players. It’s not difficult to say F it.

I come here to gain insight into how our players and coaches behave verses how informed posters think they should. That isn’t happening any more. Enjoy your tank forum. I’ll be back when this crap cools down.

Oh, to be thread relevant I suggest #whiteflag
stitches
RealGM

Post#51 » by stitches » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Read on Twitter

:D
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#52 » by outerspacefella » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm

BudTugly wrote:... All this board is now is a cheer site for cheating and losing. ...

It's not "cheating and losing". It's the only way to maximize chances to build aiming high.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#53 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm

outerspacefella wrote:
BudTugly wrote:... All this board is now is a cheer site for cheating and losing. ...

It's not "cheating and losing". It's the only way to maximize chances to build aiming high.

Can not stress this enough. It is not cheating. It is well within the rules. And it is just plain smart to maximize assets and utilize the best strategy for contention. If anything, you should be pissed at the league for having bad rules in place that hurt small markets and help large markets.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#54 » by AingesBurner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
outerspacefella wrote:

Can not stress this enough. It is not cheating. It is well within the rules. And it is just plain smart to maximize assets and utilize the best strategy for contention. If anything, you should be pissed at the league for having bad rules in place that hurt small markets and help large markets.

The only way the league will ever help small markets is with a hard cap.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#55 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm

That T-Shirt is tanktastic.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#56 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:That T-Shirt is tanktastic.

It's pretty cool, in terms of concept.

Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#57 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
outerspacefella wrote:

Hard cap and free agents hit the "free" market and all teams get to bid on the next contract and set the players price. This will force role players to take more money. Role players will not be able to take less and go to a team like the Warriors, unless the Warriors get rid of assets to bring that player on the team. The players can't bitch about getting less money because they would be getting the maximum under this system. They will bitch their freedom of choice was taken away. To which I respond....tough ****. It would also force players who are max players to take the max.

We also need to get rid of "max" contracts.

We also need to get rid of the draft.

Do those four things and the league would dramatically improve from a competition stand point.
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#58 » by outerspacefella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:09 am

GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
outerspacefella wrote:

The hard cap do nothing about players getting better shoe deals in big markets, or correct state tax issues or make up for hot beaches and nghtlife or spotlights. The only thing that can compete with all thiings involved is real chances to go for the rings. And this is where the draft appears as the better way to do it.
About tanking, IMHO one of Mark Cuban's proposals is the best way to avoid it: Assing picks 4/5 to the 2 teams with the worst record...
And IMHO the tank is the better way for small market teams, so there's no need to fix anything.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#59 » by Rauxcee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 am

That shirt is amazing. :lol:

When people are rooting for the tank, they want the team to make moves to gain assets for the future. If they lose, they lose and that helps too. They want the FO to read the writing on the wall: which is this team isn't making the playoffs like they thought, and making moves to gain wins this season is a terrible idea and is a bad move in the long run.

I don't think anyone wants the Jazz to play D-league players when more deserving/talented players should play. Or intentionally throwing a game because it looks like they might win. I'm not okay with that kind of tank and I think most people are too.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#60 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 am

Suns and Kings both get wins today!

:rockon:

Utah only has 2 more wins than the kings. We are right there with the bottom of the league.

Too bad DL made all those bad, short-sighted moves that make it impossible to tank.

:wink:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"

Return to Utah Jazz