Trade ideas

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Trade ideas 

Post#1 » by Jingles2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm

The Magic might need to make some moves so they can max Gordon next summer and give Payton a raise, if they decide to keep him. If we were to add our first round pick next year to this deal do you think the Magic would consider it? It definitely gives them money to max Gordon and add another free agent. I'm not sure if Vucevic can play next to Rudy or not and that's one thing that would concern me somewhat, but are we good with Favors next to Rudy anyway?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybxkq8zk

Jazz in: Fournier, Vucevic, Hezonja, Iwundu
Magic in: Favors, Johnson, Burks, Hood, 1st round pick
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm

The fit just doesn't work. Vucevic might work on offense next to Rudy, but defensively we'd have major problems. I also don't see Orlando trading 2 of their three best players when it looks like their core is finally coming together.

Here are some things I'd like to see happen:
Trade Rodney Hood for a mid first round pick
Trade Derrick Favors for a mid first round pick attached to a negative value contract (but not someone incredibly bad)
Trade Ricky Rubio for a mid first round pick
Trade Joe Johnson to a contender
Tank

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm

babyjax13 wrote:The fit just doesn't work. Vucevic might work on offense next to Rudy, but defensively we'd have major problems. I also don't see Orlando trading 2 of their three best players when it looks like their core is finally coming together.

NOP? Do they have picks? He'll be their best wing by like... a MILE!
babyjax13 wrote:Trade Derrick Favors for a mid first round pick attached to a negative value contract (but not someone incredibly bad)

Jon Leuer?

not happening.

maybe for a second, but I think the more likely scenario is we do him a solid and we buy him out and let him join the team of his choosing for the min.

Tank

Preach!
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:20 pm

stitches wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:The fit just doesn't work. Vucevic might work on offense next to Rudy, but defensively we'd have major problems. I also don't see Orlando trading 2 of their three best players when it looks like their core is finally coming together.

NOP? Do they have picks? He'll be their best wing by like... a MILE!
babyjax13 wrote:Trade Derrick Favors for a mid first round pick attached to a negative value contract (but not someone incredibly bad)

Jon Leuer?

not happening.

maybe for a second, but I think the more likely scenario is we do him a solid and we buy him out and let him join the team of his choosing for the min.

Tank

Preach!

#1 proposed Hood+Neto for Ajinca+NOP 1st, some liked it some didn't. They basically have to move Asik in order to retain Hood, though.

#2 Favors isn't a fit for Detroit, and I'd rather avoid Leuer, tbh.

#3 I think you are very, very wrong

#4 also seems plausible

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#5 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Do you think Rubio has mid-first value? Or rather... lets put it this way - we traded for him with a pick that's likely going to be in the mid-20s. Has he improved his value in the last 5 months and more specifically in the last month?
Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#6 » by Jingles2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Pistons might trade Leuer and a lottery protected pick for Favors. I would be okay with that. Leaving out Vucevic-- would Fournier for Hood, Burks, and top 8 protected pick be okay?
stitches
RealGM

Post#7 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Jingles2 wrote:Pistons might trade Leuer and a lottery protected pick for Favors. I would be okay with that. Leaving out Vucevic-- would Fournier for Hood, Burks, and top 8 protected pick be okay?

I kinda of think ORL wouldn't want to mess with things right now that it seems like they are doing OK for the first time in years. I also don't think we should be giving up picks for mediocre starters. Why lock into mediocrity? What is the point? Is Fournier going to change the fortunes of this team? Is Fournier going to make us into a contender? We should be sellers not buyers. This is the wrong direction.

I'd much rather have our pick(and tank) than Fournier. And it's not even close really.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Jazz out: Rubio, Hood, Burks, and Favors
Jazz in: Parker, Delladova and Teletovic

Bucks out: Teletovic, Delladova, Parker, Middleton, and Vaughn
Bucks in: Favors, PG, Burks, and Abrines

Thunder out: PG, Abrines, and Johnson
Thunder in: Middleton, Faried, Hood, and Vaughn

Nuggets out: Faried
Nuggets in: Rubio and Johnson

Jazz get Parker and tank for Luka or Porter.

Bucks get two defensive studs in Favors and PG and Burks contract is a year shorter than Delladova and he is better.

Thunder gets Middleton who is on a cost controlled contract, Hood who is a good shooter and can start at SG, and Faried add depth to their front court.

Nuggets get a good starting PG.

Thoughts on value, Bucks are definitely taking a risk on PG but he said he prefers winning over location and a line up of Bledsoe-Burks-PG-Giannis-Favors is pretty dang good.
Ingles is cooked.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#9 » by Dry Fly » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Trade Derrick Favors for a mid first round pick attached to a negative value contract (but not someone incredibly bad)
Tank

I doubt anyone would give up a first rd pick for a half year rental of Hood. Maybe if an injury happens and some one in the hunt gets desperate they give up a highly protected first?

I think a more realistic expectation is 2nd rd for Hood for a half year rental. I'm kind of down on Hood so I could be undervaluing him.

What was the last trade of an expiring we made? Kanter? That was a highly protected first from OKC in the hunt. Is Hood more valuable than Kanter? Possibly, but not by much. If Hood starts to light it up then maybe a mid level protected first?

Favors is probably our most valuable asset. Middle first though for a half year rental? I can see it, but then again I love Favs so maybe I'm overvaluing him.... :P

Rubio and JJ are for sure 2nd round picks down the line at best.

Best case realistic scenario for the tanking mentality would be the Jazz move Favs and Hood after lighting it up for half the year and get middle firsts like you say... maybe even marginal prospect for Favs but in the process that means we win games. We wont contend for a top draft prospect and we wont get any future assets that will be top draft prospects.

If we want top prospects in a draft, we have to trade Rudy and DM. I don't think you can get around that.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm not ok with any trade where we send out picks(within reason of course) That's not a long term winning strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#11 » by zero24gravity » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm

GobertReport wrote:Jazz out: Rubio, Hood, Burks, and Favors
Jazz in: Parker, Delladova and Teletovic

Bucks out: Teletovic, Delladova, Parker, Middleton, and Vaughn
Bucks in: Favors, PG, Burks, and Abrines

Thunder out: PG, Abrines, and Johnson
Thunder in: Middleton, Faried, Hood, and Vaughn

Nuggets out: Faried
Nuggets in: Rubio and Johnson

Jazz get Parker and tank for Luka or Porter.

Bucks get two defensive studs in Favors and PG and Burks contract is a year shorter than Delladova and he is better.

Thunder gets Middleton who is on a cost controlled contract, Hood who is a good shooter and can start at SG, and Faried add depth to their front court.

Nuggets get a good starting PG.

Thoughts on value, Bucks are definitely taking a risk on PG but he said he prefers winning over location and a line up of Bledsoe-Burks-PG-Giannis-Favors is pretty dang good.

Why would any Jazz fan want to hitch their wagon to Jabari? Haven't had enough punishment yet, in the form of missed games due to injury?

Parker reportedly wants a max-extension, despite missing over half his NBA career & possibly not even playing this season due to injury. It'll likely take him most of next season to round into form (assuming he doesn't get hurt again) at which point he'll be a FA if he's not given that max extension sooner. There's also a good chance he'll never regain his speed/athleticism, which already wasn't top-notch prior to injury. A BIG "no thanks" to Parker.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Dry Fly wrote:

Tank

I doubt anyone would give up a first rd pick for a half year rental of Hood. Maybe if an injury happens and some one in the hunt gets desperate they give up a highly protected first?

I think a more realistic expectation is 2nd rd for Hood for a half year rental. I'm kind of down on Hood so I could be undervaluing him.

What was the last trade of an expiring we made? Kanter? That was a highly protected first from OKC in the hunt. Is Hood more valuable than Kanter? Possibly, but not by much. If Hood starts to light it up then maybe a mid level protected first?

Favors is probably our most valuable asset. Middle first though for a half year rental? I can see it, but then again I love Favs so maybe I'm overvaluing him.... :P

Rubio and JJ are for sure 2nd round picks down the line at best.

Best case realistic scenario for the tanking mentality would be the Jazz move Favs and Hood after lighting it up for half the year and get middle firsts like you say... maybe even marginal prospect for Favs but in the process that means we win games. We wont contend for a top draft prospect and we wont get any future assets that will be top draft prospects.

If we want top prospects in a draft, we have to trade Rudy and DM. I don't think you can get around that.

Hood is an RFA (so, not a rental), and teams send out picks all the time to move bad contracts.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 pm

stitches wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Do you think Rubio has mid-first value? Or rather... lets put it this way - we traded for him with a pick that's likely going to be in the mid-20s. Has he improved his value in the last 5 months and more specifically in the last month?

We traded a pick expected to be a mid first prior to OKC adding George and Anthony.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#14 » by stitches » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
We traded a pick expected to be a mid first prior to OKC adding George and Anthony.

True... indeed it was before they got George and Anthony. But still it was a lottery protected so... 15-30 range best case scenario.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#15 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

What are the chances that Hood pulls a Hayward and after a bad first month increasingly warms up and makes us all wonder if we should keep him?

The fact that Covington got on average $15M/yr is encouraging that Hood wouldn't break the bank.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Before you think about what you’d want in return, start by coming up with teams that would actually want the players we’d be looking to move.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:What are the chances that Hood pulls a Hayward and after a bad first month increasingly warms up and makes us all wonder if we should keep him?

The fact that Covington got on average $15M/yr is encouraging that Hood wouldn't break the bank.

Hood honestly hasn't been that bad. The real story with him is "more of the same". He's essentially the same player he was as a rookie and that's frustrating. Either way, the Jazz have to keep him as long as the money is right. Whether it's to keep him for the long term, or to trade him later on. This franchise is not in any position to lose out on youngish talent.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#18 » by sipclip » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:09 am

Some of these trade ideas are pretty brutal. Especially the one for Jabari and the original one for Fournier. If we are making trades then we need to be taking back bad contracts and picks or young players early in their rookie contracts.

Favors for Teletovic and DJ Wilson- Wilson has the skillset to be a great pf next to Gobert while Teletovic will be an expiring contract next year and he brings a stretch 4 that we need.

Joe Johnson for Leuer and lottery protected 1st - The pistons have some big extensions coming up in the next few years starting with Bradley this offseason. This idea came up on the trade board and they seemed to be open to it. Also like Teletovic we add another solid shooting big in Leuer. With the way we are setting things up we can afford to take on these bad contracts because we are pushing out future salary obligations. I also feel like both players would end up being useful pieces on our team. You can never have enough shooting and both guys can really shoot the ball.

Thabo for Ajinca and Frank Jackson- This one is based on my love for Jackson. I really wanted us to draft him and think he is going to end up being a really good guard in this league. I could see Mitchell and Jackson being a pretty overwhelming duo together. For the pelicans this gives them a solid wing for this year but more importantly sheds salary next year if they choose not to keep Thabo.

Hood, Ingles and Neto for Hield, Skal and Temple- The kings coach is a really big fan of Hood and they have very few future salary obligations moving forward so the fact that he is coming up for an extension this offseason is likely less of an issue than it may be for other teams. In fact it might actually be positive for them because it helps them get to the salary floor. Ingles was supposedly a player that the kings really liked in free agency. They also have a major incentive to get better because they lose their 2019 draft pick to either the sixers or celtics. For us I like Hield. I think he has the makings of solid guard and could be a 6th man of the year type in a few years. Skal is the prize of the deal for me though. I love the potential of he and Gobert together in the frontcourt.

Udoh to nets for free. Anything we can do to help the nets get a better record is a benefit to us in the draft. Also see if they want Jerebko. If not then we waive him.

C- Gobert, Leuer, Bradley, Ajinca
Pf- Skal, DJ Wilson, Teletovic,
Sf- Burks, Temple, O'Neal
Sg- Mitchell, Hield
Pg- Rubio, Franks Jackson, Exum

I think this team is young and inexperienced enough to lose enough games to get into the top 6 of the draft. Also with Burks starting at the sf spot I think we could build his value to get some type of asset in return for him. Rubio though I think would be untradeable. There simply aren't any teams looking for a vet pg. Teams either already have their pg or they are tanking and have no interest in him because he may cost them games.

Now going into next offseason though based on salary cap projections we we would be capped out Exum's cap hold while also being full with roster spots. With our draft pick and the likely pistons 1st we would need to get rid of 2 players. I would probably just waive Ajinca. The next easiest thing to do would be to waive O'neal but I want to see more of him to figure out if he can be a player in this league. Depending on his play Burks could be movable and the same could go for Temple. For Temple I would just want to dump him but Burks I would want some type of asset back for him. The 2019 offseason is where we are set up big time with Rubio, Teletovic, Ajinca and possible Temple and Burks coming off the books.

In the draft based on our roster Doncic makes the most sense by far. We have a big hole at sf and he could fill that hole. Porter may also be able to play the 3 spot in the nba. The other players in top 6 are Ayton, Bamba, Baggley, and Jackson. I would love to have any of them as well. In all honesty I would think long and hard about offering up Gobert to possibly grab 2 of these guys in the top 6 with Ayton probably being the top target. If for some reason our pick fall outside the top 6 then Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt and Miles Bridges would all look good at that sf spot going forward. In the end I think the pistons pick falls in the 18-22 range. My dream pick in that range would be Kris Wilkes from UCLA but there should be plenty of other options like Troy Brown, Diallo, Bridges, Bruce Brown and Trier. By the end of this season there should be plenty of other players that show out and are options in this range as well.

In the end this sets us up to be extremely young next season but I think we would be competitive with our young core and the next year we would be in position to make a major jump forward with the development of our youth along with a possible free agent acquisition with all our cap space.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#19 » by AingesBurner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 am

sipclip wrote:Some of these trade ideas are pretty brutal. Especially the one for Jabari and the original one for Fournier. If we are making trades then we need to be taking back bad contracts and picks or young players early in their rookie contracts.

Favors for Teletovic and DJ Wilson- Wilson has the skillset to be a great pf next to Gobert while Teletovic will be an expiring contract next year and he brings a stretch 4 that we need.

Joe Johnson for Leuer and lottery protected 1st - The pistons have some big extensions coming up in the next few years starting with Bradley this offseason. This idea came up on the trade board and they seemed to be open to it. Also like Teletovic we add another solid shooting big in Leuer. With the way we are setting things up we can afford to take on these bad contracts because we are pushing out future salary obligations. I also feel like both players would end up being useful pieces on our team. You can never have enough shooting and both guys can really shoot the ball.

Thabo for Ajinca and Frank Jackson- This one is based on my love for Jackson. I really wanted us to draft him and think he is going to end up being a really good guard in this league. I could see Mitchell and Jackson being a pretty overwhelming duo together. For the pelicans this gives them a solid wing for this year but more importantly sheds salary next year if they choose not to keep Thabo.

Hood, Ingles and Neto for Hield, Skal and Temple- The kings coach is a really big fan of Hood and they have very few future salary obligations moving forward so the fact that he is coming up for an extension this offseason is likely less of an issue than it may be for other teams. In fact it might actually be positive for them because it helps them get to the salary floor. Ingles was supposedly a player that the kings really liked in free agency. They also have a major incentive to get better because they lose their 2019 draft pick to either the sixers or celtics. For us I like Hield. I think he has the makings of solid guard and could be a 6th man of the year type in a few years. Skal is the prize of the deal for me though. I love the potential of he and Gobert together in the frontcourt.

Udoh to nets for free. Anything we can do to help the nets get a better record is a benefit to us in the draft. Also see if they want Jerebko. If not then we waive him.

C- Gobert, Leuer, Bradley, Ajinca
Pf- Skal, DJ Wilson, Teletovic,
Sf- Burks, Temple, O'Neal
Sg- Mitchell, Hield
Pg- Rubio, Franks Jackson, Exum

I think this team is young and inexperienced enough to lose enough games to get into the top 6 of the draft. Also with Burks starting at the sf spot I think we could build his value to get some type of asset in return for him. Rubio though I think would be untradeable. There simply aren't any teams looking for a vet pg. Teams either already have their pg or they are tanking and have no interest in him because he may cost them games.

Now going into next offseason though based on salary cap projections we we would be capped out Exum's cap hold while also being full with roster spots. With our draft pick and the likely pistons 1st we would need to get rid of 2 players. I would probably just waive Ajinca. The next easiest thing to do would be to waive O'neal but I want to see more of him to figure out if he can be a player in this league. Depending on his play Burks could be movable and the same could go for Temple. For Temple I would just want to dump him but Burks I would want some type of asset back for him. The 2019 offseason is where we are set up big time with Rubio, Teletovic, Ajinca and possible Temple and Burks coming off the books.

In the draft based on our roster Doncic makes the most sense by far. We have a big hole at sf and he could fill that hole. Porter may also be able to play the 3 spot in the nba. The other players in top 6 are Ayton, Bamba, Baggley, and Jackson. I would love to have any of them as well. In all honesty I would think long and hard about offering up Gobert to possibly grab 2 of these guys in the top 6 with Ayton probably being the top target. If for some reason our pick fall outside the top 6 then Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt and Miles Bridges would all look good at that sf spot going forward. In the end I think the pistons pick falls in the 18-22 range. My dream pick in that range would be Kris Wilkes from UCLA but there should be plenty of other options like Troy Brown, Diallo, Bridges, Bruce Brown and Trier. By the end of this season there should be plenty of other players that show out and are options in this range as well.

In the end this sets us up to be extremely young next season but I think we would be competitive with our young core and the next year we would be in position to make a major jump forward with the development of our youth along with a possible free agent acquisition with all our cap space.

Jabari trade is not that brutal and it helps our tank.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#20 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 am

Here's a few:

Trade 1:
Utah Trades:
Derrick Favors
Rodney Hood
Thabo Sefolosha
Cleveland Trades:
Jae Crowder
Channing Frye
Jose Calderon
Ante Zizic
Protected 1st round pick (top 10 protected)

Trade 2:
Utah Trades:
Alec Burks
Minnesota Trades:
Cole Aldrich
2nd round pick

Trade 3:
Utah Trades:
Ricky Rubio
Denver Trades:
Emanual Mudiay
Darrell Arthur

Ideally, I'd like to make a trade to land us Jabari Parker. But I'm not sure how realistic that is. Might just be best off trying to sign him away in free agency.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.

Return to Utah Jazz