Trade ideas

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#661 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:21 am

Knrstz wrote:How do you guys feel about trading Burks? Is he preferred by the FO over hood or vice versa? What’s his value for you guys?

I think he'd be available for a mid-late-ish first, but they won't give him away. I don't think he'd be worth it for you guys. His inconsistent minutes have kind of stunted his development IMO. He looked really good in early Dec. when Hood was out, but has struggled with his minutes getting cut and never knowing when he is playing. He should go somewhere with an opportunity to show what he can do with consistent minutes.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#662 » by tleikheen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 am

Revolutionary trade idea: Replace Snyder with someone with more flexibility. It cant get much worse.

I've said it a few times ...Nobody said Snyder was a really good coach til Gobert became a starter.Gobert could make any of the other NBA coaches look as good as Snyder is.Looks like Snyder is not such a good coach without Gobert playing.
Look how Snyder puts his young guys in his doghouse to teach them a lesson.Lyles is playing free and confident with Denver and if Exum gets away from Utah and Snyder IMO he'll play free and confident just like Lyles.
It seems Orlando and Utah might make a good trade partner......I think getting Hezonja would be a great move.There's alot of regret within Orlando that they didn't resign Hezonja the way he's playing now.They could have resigned him for what their paying Shane Mack to sit at the end of Orlando's bench .Same Shane Mack that Snyder played ahead of Exum. ...But one mistake from Hezonja and Snyder probably have him in his doghouse.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#663 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 am

tleikheen wrote:.Lyles is playing free and confident with Denver and if Exum gets away from Utah and Snyder IMO he'll play free and confident just like Lyles.
It seems Orlando and Utah might make a good trade partner.....

Lol at all of this. Favors was injured and Utah was desperate for Lyles to step up and prove he was our PF of the future. He got more than a fair shot and fell flat on his face. Also, even though he's shooting better, he still has flaws in his game that Utah doesn't need. Let's give him more than a handful of games before declaring him the one that got away. Utah had to give him up to get Mitchell. Jazz were damn lucky that deal was even available, so the buyers remorse is amusing.

The Exum situation is unfortunate, but Utah was trying to win and didn't have the luxury of letting Exum play through mistakes. Soon as he's healthy, he'll get a fair shot.

And how is Orlando a good trade partner? Both teams are in a situation where they are looking to trade away assets for building pieces. Exchanging players doesn't make any sense. Utah should be looking for teams looking to bolster their roster for a run at the playoffs, who might be willing to part with a pick. Hezonja is interesting, but he's a UFA at the end of the season. No sense in giving up assets for him now.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#664 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

I don't get fans decrying the Lyles trade. We had to give him up to get Mitchell. Lyles performed poorly for the Jazz in his second year. It is good he is looking much better this season and like a good NBA player. It makes the trade look much more reasonable from Denver's perspective. If Lyles ended up sucking, that trade would have looked like a highway robbery for the Jazz, and would have made Denver less likely to trade with us in the future, after we managed to get both Mitchell and Gobert by trading little in return. Lyles performing well helps the Nuggets' FO save face. Even knowing now that Lyles would look much better in Denver, and how Mitchell is performing, I would have made that trade without thinking twice. It is much better for the Jazz for it to be a win-win situation rather than a Jazz win-Denver ends up with egg on their face situation.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#665 » by KqWIN » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Lyles was not working out in Utah. The change of scenery was much needed for him. He lucked out with the Millsap injury and has taken full advantage of this opportunity. Good for him.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#666 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
A recent report suggests that Johnson is unhappy and seeking a trade or buyout. https://thejnotes.com/2018/01/13/utah-jazz-trade-rumors-contention-in-utah-joe-johnson-wants-out/ I think it could make a lot of sense to both teams and allow us to retain our picks.

PS If cap is a factor why are we discussing under-performing players making 30 mil.?

I'm unhappy with his inability to even hit a wide-open 3. Does that count for anything? Father time catches up with everyone, no matter how much hot yoga you do.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#667 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Joe Johnson and two second rounders for Shump and Cavs pick. Seems about right and everyone wins.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#668 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

tleikheen wrote:
Revolutionary trade idea: Replace Snyder with someone with more flexibility. It cant get much worse.

I've said it a few times ...Nobody said Snyder was a really good coach til Gobert became a starter.Gobert could make any of the other NBA coaches look as good as Snyder is.Looks like Snyder is not such a good coach without Gobert playing.
Look how Snyder puts his young guys in his doghouse to teach them a lesson.Lyles is playing free and confident with Denver and if Exum gets away from Utah and Snyder IMO he'll play free and confident just like Lyles.
It seems Orlando and Utah might make a good trade partner......I think getting Hezonja would be a great move.There's alot of regret within Orlando that they didn't resign Hezonja the way he's playing now.They could have resigned him for what their paying Shane Mack to sit at the end of Orlando's bench .Same Shane Mack that Snyder played ahead of Exum. ...But one mistake from Hezonja and Snyder probably have him in his doghouse.

OMG people. Hate much?

Snyder is seen as one of the top 10 coaches in the NBA on every list you can find (often times top 5). His player development is seen as his greatest asset, and it's not just him getting lucky with Gobert.

Coach Sloan was one of the greatest of all time. It's undeniable. But he hated playing rookies, no matter how talented, and his sub patterns were so set in stone that it was beyond explanation on some nights. Does that make him a bad coach, or one who had his opinions of how things should work, and stuck to them?

Lyles got more chances than he ever should have. I've thrown out the numbers in other posts to verify this. Snyder played that kid way too much, considering how terrible he was. He was put in positions to succeed on the Jazz, and simply sucked. Exum is a puzzling case, I'll give you that, but we also don't know what's happening in practice and behind the scenes. "Looks like Snyder is not such a good coach without Gobert playing" ... ummm, how many coaches/teams would be great without their best player for long stretches? How about the Jazz's performance in the playoffs last season while missing Gobert & Haywood for chunks of time? No credit, right?

Every coach makes mistakes, they are people after all. But to see a coach like Snyder, who is nationally recognized (just listen to VanGundy or other "experts" talk about him) as a great coach being thrown under the bus because of one season of having a bad mix of players, isn't fair at all. I LOVE hearing him talk on the radio or after games. I've never heard a more honest & articulate interview in my life.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#669 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 am

This is a decent summary of a lot being discussed on this board. https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46238557&nid=294
Interesting nuggets include: no way the Jazz should move Udoh, Jerebko or Neto - really solid rotation players on great value contracts (Neto a restricted FA who likely won't command much attention and can be signed at a raise but still cheap) ; Favors - absolutely - maybe for a late first or young guy on a good team who isn't getting minutes/development behind better players; Joe Jesus absolutely but virtually no value in return (2nd round pick?); Hood a qualified yes - will not get back equal value and will get a decent offer this summer from some wing-starved team looking for a scoring wing coming off the bench; absolutely on Burks who is now redundant behind Mitchell and O'Neale at $11MM on the books for next year.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#670 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:48 am

zero24gravity wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

OMG people. Hate much?

Snyder is seen as one of the top 10 coaches in the NBA on every list you can find (often times top 5). His player development is seen as his greatest asset, and it's not just him getting lucky with Gobert.

Coach Sloan was one of the greatest of all time. It's undeniable. But he hated playing rookies, no matter how talented, and his sub patterns were so set in stone that it was beyond explanation on some nights. Does that make him a bad coach, or one who had his opinions of how things should work, and stuck to them?

Lyles got more chances than he ever should have. I've thrown out the numbers in other posts to verify this. Snyder played that kid way too much, considering how terrible he was. He was put in positions to succeed on the Jazz, and simply sucked. Exum is a puzzling case, I'll give you that, but we also don't know what's happening in practice and behind the scenes. "Looks like Snyder is not such a good coach without Gobert playing" ... ummm, how many coaches/teams would be great without their best player for long stretches? How about the Jazz's performance in the playoffs last season while missing Gobert & Haywood for chunks of time? No credit, right?

Every coach makes mistakes, they are people after all. But to see a coach like Snyder, who is nationally recognized (just listen to VanGundy or other "experts" talk about him) as a great coach being thrown under the bus because of one season of having a bad mix of players, isn't fair at all. I LOVE hearing him talk on the radio or after games. I've never heard a more honest & articulate interview in my life.

The question is why is Snyder viewed so highly by some people? He has never actually accomplished much of anything on any level. Also this player development stuff is starting to turn into a joke. Personally it is getting to the point that more players have actually regressed or stagnated under Snyder than actually developed. The list is starting to get long with Favors, Hood, Burks, Lyles, Exum and Rubio showing very little improvement if any at all yet we keep being fed this line that players are developing at an uncanny rate here. I'm just not seeing it. I guess we can give him credit for Rudy but sometimes it is also just a player being hungry regardless of who the coach is and wanting to get better. Personally the work that I have seen from our shooting coaches with a guy like Exum has me questioning what they are working on.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#671 » by dr0welf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:17 am

In the New York Times (it is a Marc Stein article so grain of salt) he states Orlando's new president Jeff Weltman is expected to aggressively try to trade Fournier, Payton, and Hezonja.

How do you guys feel about Elfrid Payton for PG? And what is Orlando looking for in trade value for Fournier and Payton?

Orlando trades Payton, Fournier and gets Rubio, Frye
Cleveland trades Crowder, Frye and gets Favors
Utah trades Favors, Rubio and gets Fournier, Payton, Crowder

I think it would take more then Rubio and Frye to get Payton and Fournier but I'm not sure if they are looking at asset building or if they would want potential young players or veterans?? Any thoughts and I can adjust the trade to see if we can make it work

I think Fournier, Payton, and Crowder would be a solid pick up. And if we can get Mirotic to sign in the offseason at something reasonable it might be a good team to build from.

Gobert, Mirotic, Fournier, Mitchell, Payton with Udoh, Ingles, Crowder, Burks coming off the bench (and Hood if we resign him).

And if we get one of the top 5-7 picks in this years draft. Pretty solid young team to move forward with.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#672 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 am

dr0welf wrote:In the New York Times (it is a Marc Stein article so grain of salt) he states Orlando's new president Jeff Weltman is expected to aggressively try to trade Fournier, Payton, and Hezonja.

How do you guys feel about Elfrid Payton for PG? And what is Orlando looking for in trade value for Fournier and Payton?

I think it would take more then Rubio and Frye to get Payton and Fournier but I'm not sure if they are looking at asset building or if they would want potential young players or veterans?? Any thoughts and I can adjust the trade to see if we can make it work

I think Fournier, Payton, and Crowder would be a solid pick up. And if we can get Mirotic to sign in the offseason at something reasonable it might be a good team to build from.

Gobert, Mirotic, Fournier, Mitchell, Payton with Udoh, Ingles, Crowder, Burks coming off the bench (and Hood if we resign him).

And if we get one of the top 5-7 picks in this years draft. Pretty solid young team to move forward with.

Orlando gets reamed in that trade.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#673 » by dr0welf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 am

babyjax13 wrote:
dr0welf wrote:In the New York Times (it is a Marc Stein article so grain of salt) he states Orlando's new president Jeff Weltman is expected to aggressively try to trade Fournier, Payton, and Hezonja.

Yeah I know that, that is why I was asking what they would want in return. I just matched up salaries to see if I had a baseline we could go off of. Any feedback on what Orlando is looking for, I really don't have the time this year to follow other teams and know what their needs are.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#674 » by tleikheen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 am

dr0welf wrote:
In the New York Times (it is a Marc Stein article so grain of salt) he states Orlando's new president Jeff Weltman is expected to aggressively try to trade Fournier, Payton, and Hezonja.

Nice hose job on Orlando AND plus they are keeping a eye on Trae Young as they will have a very high draft pick.

With this trade mind as well kiss Exum goodbye as he is expecting to play PG ,I don't see him looking at getting Payton as caring if he stays or goes.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#675 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 am

dr0welf wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Yeah I know that, that is why I was asking what they would want in return. I just matched up salaries to see if I had a baseline we could go off of. Any feedback on what Orlando is looking for, I really don't have the time this year to follow other teams and know what their needs are.

At this point the Magic need to make a lot of moves. They look really bad and need lots of help. Might be a good deal some where in there?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#676 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 am

dr0welf wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Probably our first. There's really no way to reasonably bridge the gap there.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,067

Post#677 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 am

The only thing worse than the Jazz trading a first round pick would be getting stuck with Elfrid Payton's hair.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#678 » by dr0welf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 am

Rauxcee wrote:The only thing worse than the Jazz trading a first round pick would be getting stuck with Elfrid Payton's hair.

LOL. That's funny. But honestly if he's hitting .350 from 3, has a good assist to TO ratio, and plays respectable defense he can have an AK47 mohawk for all I care.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#679 » by dr0welf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 am

Jazz OUT Rubio, Favors, Joe J., Hood IN Fournier, Shumpert, Crowder, Payton (even)
ORL OUT Fournier, Payton, Hezonja IN IT, Hood, Frye, J Johnson (-6 wins)
CLE OUT Frye, IT, Crowder, Shumpert IN Rubio, Favors, Hezonja (+4 wins)

Best I could come up with. Kind of took ideas off both their boards to see if I can make something work that I felt made sense.

I think Cleveland gets better with this as Rubio and Favors defense would help a ton.

Orlando gets 2 expiring contracts plus Hood and IT which I'm not a big IT fan but he would definitely bring some scoring excitement next to Gordon.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#680 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Read this in the Tribune: "League sources have told The Tribune that the Jazz will ask the NBA for an injury hardship waiver for Sefalosha. If granted, Sefolosha’s salary of $5.8 million would not be charged to the Jazz’s salary cap, giving them additional flexibility ahead of the trade deadline."

Return to Utah Jazz