Miscellaneous Jazz Stats, 2017-18 Season

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Re: Miscellaneous Jazz Stats, 2017-18 Season 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Mitchell scored 29 points last night against OKC on 16 attempts to retake the NBA rookie scoring lead from Kuzma. Over the last 15 games, DM is averaging 23.5 ppg on 51.6% from the field and 42.2% from threes, while Kuz is averaging 19.1 ppg on 50.3% from the field and 48.1% from three.

Both DM and Kuz have been unbelievably good players on offense, but my bet is on DM to take the rookie scoring title. DM is at 18 ppg right now, and I expect him to break the 20 ppg barrier for the season, a great accomplishment for a rookie should he do it. In the last ten years, only three qualified rookies, Griffin, Tyreke Evans and KD, broke 20+ ppg. Embiid did it as well, but since he only played in 31 games, I am disqualifying him. :lol:

Go Jazz!!!
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#22 » by eLo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:08 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
eLo wrote:"When he has been on the floor, Utah has an offensive efficiency of 96.5 with a net efficiency of minus-4.6. With him on the bench, that efficiency jumps up to 110.9 and the Jazz outscore their opponents by 7.8 points per 100 possessions” guess about who is this, witch dedication to all fanboys :P

Sounds like Gobert...

Yep, let’s throw out the his entire career numbers. Gobert clearly stinks!

You saying like if he was Mailman or something, but yes this season he is pretty bad and we should talk about it, instead of that you can hear all the time "trade Fav".
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#23 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:06 pm

Over the 17 games that Gobert has missed, Favors is averaging 16 ppg on 60% shooting, 8.3 rebs, 2 apg and 1.3 bpg. I am hopeful that those numbers will go up even more as the other players get used to looking for Favors while Rudy is out. Our win loss record over those games is 9-8. Note: I am not counting the Boston game in these stats because both Gobert and Favors got injured in that game and went out of the game.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#24 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am

Ugly Late Night Excel Sheet: Rubio at PG vs Mitchell at PG

https://imgur.com/a/fVj26

per NBAwowy
Andri
Junior
And1: 251

Post#25 » by Andri » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 am

KqWIN wrote:Ugly Late Night Excel Sheet: Rubio at PG vs Mitchell at PG

https://imgur.com/a/fVj26

per NBAwowy

In other words, Rubio good for interior/non shooters, Mitchell good for shooters. And even for Burks :wink:

Mitchell creates more penetrating and then finishing or kicking out to a shooter. He is relatively good at P&R for a rookie&not a specific PG though.

Why he shoots/scores better when he is playing the point is explained because he atack more the rim than when he plays SG when he is shooting more from distance
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#26 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 pm

In the last five minutes of games, "clutch time", with the teams separated by 5 points or less, Rubio is leading the Jazz with 3 ppg on 62.5% shooting and 100% on threes. Changing the filter to last 3, 2 or 1 minute of the game, Rubio still does well. Rubio also leads the Jazz on the advanced PIE stat for the last five minutes of games. These are a small number of games, but the data says Rubio has been playing well in clutch time; he hasn't been taking shots and bricking them at the end of games. This data matches up to what I thought I was seeing with the eye test. I would like to see both Rubio and DM on the court at the end of games.

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612762

Rodney Hood was the worst player on the Jazz the last 5, 3, 2 and 1 minutes of games on every filter I looked at: FG%, Net Rating and PIE. He still hasn't made a three pointer in the last five minutes of a game in clutch time this season.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#27 » by LesGrossman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am

Crunch 99 wrote:In the last five minutes of games, "clutch time", with the teams separated by 5 points or less, Rubio is leading the Jazz with 3 ppg on 62.5% shooting and 100% on threes. Changing the filter to last 3, 2 or 1 minute of the game, Rubio still does well. Rubio also leads the Jazz on the advanced PIE stat for the last five minutes of games. These are a small number of games, but the data says Rubio has been playing well in clutch time; he hasn't been taking shots and bricking them at the end of games. This data matches up to what I thought I was seeing with the eye test. I would like to see both Rubio and DM on the court at the end of games.

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612762

Rodney Hood was the worst player on the Jazz the last 5, 3, 2 and 1 minutes of games on every filter I looked at: FG%, Net Rating and PIE. He still hasn't made a three pointer in the last five minutes of a game in clutch time this season.

The Truth (tm) is that Rubio is marginalized in Snyders system. I dont think he makes much of a difference wether he's playing or not. He has been out for whole games and the Jazz lost; he has been kept on the bench for 4th quarters, went out while leading, and the Jazz lost. Of course his numbers look miserable because he is pressed into a role that doesnt suit him. Same for Mitchell who imho could look even more impressive than he does already; same for Favors, same for Hood and especially Gobert. I'm a bit disappointed though that almost everyone here seems to solely be focussed on offensive production and totally neglect the impact on D, it almost feels like the Suns' fanbase. In the game thread for Indiana someone just posted basically that Rubio is overall trash and the only skill he has is playmaking, when really his greatest strength by far (and probably the only reason he still gets minutes) is the defense. But reading through the comments here, defense seems to be touched as a topic in every tenth post or so.

Either one has to question the ability of Quinn Snyder to mold this roster into a successful productive team by adjusting offense and defense to feature their strengths and hide their weaknesses (and i am by far not talking about Rubio alone here) or you believe Snyder is the man, then the Jazz really have to get rid of the guys who cant possibly work in this system.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#28 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:15 pm

We all know that Rubio has been shooting better lately while the Jazz won four out of five. But there is something else going on here: Rubio averaged 7.4 apg and 2.6 tov during those five games. He looks like he is getting more comfortable with his teammates and vice versa. He is doing a better job connecting with them. So while Rubio's shooting could go south again, I suspect we will see more good assist to turnover games from Rubio going forward. Rubio also continues to be a good rebounder and defensive player.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#29 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Feb 3, 2018 7:08 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:In the last five minutes of games, "clutch time", with the teams separated by 5 points or less, Rubio is leading the Jazz with 3 ppg on 62.5% shooting and 100% on threes. Changing the filter to last 3, 2 or 1 minute of the game, Rubio still does well. Rubio also leads the Jazz on the advanced PIE stat for the last five minutes of games. These are a small number of games, but the data says Rubio has been playing well in clutch time; he hasn't been taking shots and bricking them at the end of games. This data matches up to what I thought I was seeing with the eye test. I would like to see both Rubio and DM on the court at the end of games.

The Truth (tm) is that Rubio is marginalized in Snyders system. I dont think he makes much of a difference wether he's playing or not. He has been out for whole games and the Jazz lost; he has been kept on the bench for 4th quarters, went out while leading, and the Jazz lost. Of course his numbers look miserable because he is pressed into a role that doesnt suit him. Same for Mitchell who imho could look even more impressive than he does already; same for Favors, same for Hood and especially Gobert. I'm a bit disappointed though that almost everyone here seems to solely be focussed on offensive production and totally neglect the impact on D, it almost feels like the Suns' fanbase. In the game thread for Indiana someone just posted basically that Rubio is overall trash and the only skill he has is playmaking, when really his greatest strength by far (and probably the only reason he still gets minutes) is the defense. But reading through the comments here, defense seems to be touched as a topic in every tenth post or so.

Either one has to question the ability of Quinn Snyder to mold this roster into a successful productive team by adjusting offense and defense to feature their strengths and hide their weaknesses (and i am by far not talking about Rubio alone here) or you believe Snyder is the man, then the Jazz really have to get rid of the guys who cant possibly work in this system.

D? I said before the season started I felt like the Jazz could have the best D in the league if they can stay healthy. With Ricky..Not sure why you fill like jazz fans are missing how good our defense can be? Last five games the jazz are ranked #1. I think the Spurs will see that tonight first hand. D travels. If our O travels? Jazz will we by 20 tonight. Easy bucket the jazz are about unbeatable.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#30 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:48 pm

Rubio had a season high 34 points along with 9 assists last night. He is at a career high for EFG%, 46.1% versus last seasons' second best season at 44.8%. Both his jumper and finishes at the rim are looking better. Hopefully he saved a few good shots for tomorrow's critical game against the Pelicans. Knocking on wood.

Over the last ten games, DM and Rubio are leading the team for the PIE stat, Player Impact Estimate, at 13.2 and 12.6 respectively. Gobert is leading the Jazz for PIE for the season at 13.5.

DM is averaging 19.7 ppg for the season. He needs to average 20.5 ppg over the last 31 games to break the 20 ppg barrier for the season.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#31 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 1:56 pm

Rubio is ranked number three player in the NBA for play during last week by ESPN. That is for games played Monday, Jan 29 thru last Sunday. It does not include last night's game against the Pelicans. Harden and AD are ranked number one and two. The rankings are based on Hollinger's Game Score.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/22338111/nba-player-rankings-ricky-rubio-damian-lillard-kemba-walker-drop-stellar-pg-play

Also, for all NBA players performance over the last six games (our win streak), and which players played greater than 24 mpg, Rubio is ranked number five for NBA's PIE stat - Player Impact Estimate.

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=PIE&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=6&StarterBench=Starters&CF=MIN*GE*24
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#32 » by KqWIN » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:44 am

The Bermuda Triangle has taken a 37 point swing! I've honestly never seen anything like this before.

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#33 » by KqWIN » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:59 am

We did it boys! Zach Lowe may not say anything interesting about the Jazz anymore, but he can curse us!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7vu1m5/the_jazz_starting_5_has_been_the_best_lineup_in/
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#34 » by stitches » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:26 pm

KqWIN wrote:The Bermuda Triangle has taken a 37 point swing! I've honestly never seen anything like this before.

Read on Twitter

It helps that we are shooting in like... the 50s from 3 in that period.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#35 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm

The Jazz have three players ranked in the top ten in NBA for RPM for small forwards: Ingles at #6, O'Neale at #8 and Thabo at #9. O'Neale has a very small sample size, but he is off to a nice start. With the recent addition of Crowder and departure of Hood, O'Neale will probably get a majority of his minutes going forward at SG. O'Neale's RPM score would rank him #8 for SG as well.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/5

After a slow start this season, Gobert is ascending towards reclaiming his title as the NBA DRPM leader. He is ranked number three and is only .11 off the lead. David West, who is a limited minute, bench player, and Andre Roberson, who is out for the rest of the season, are the only two players ranked ahead of him.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

Return to Utah Jazz