Dante Exum 17-18 Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Re: Dante Exum 17-18 Thread 

Post#61 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm a big Exum supporter but Exum and Rubio have almost the exact same strengths and weaknesses that make them bad fits for this roster and system. Good defenders, good passers, terrible shooters, need the ball in their hands to be effective. Exum's pre-season shooting is too small and abrupt sample size to rely upon.

Also, the free agency market is tough this year with few teams with money to spend. I still think there is a reasonable chance that Exum takes his QO and becomes a UFA.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#62 » by stitches » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm a big Exum supporter but Exum and Rubio have almost the exact same strengths and weaknesses that make them bad fits for this roster and system. Good defenders, good passers, terrible shooters, need the ball in their hands to be effective. Exum's pre-season shooting is too small and abrupt sample size to rely upon.

Also, the free agency market is tough this year with few teams with money to spend. I still think there is a reasonable chance that Exum takes his QO and becomes a UFA.

The biggest difference is Exum is capable cutter and very good finisher at the rim. He can put pressure on defenses at least with his ability to go to the rim. Rubio can't do that. And can't shoot.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#63 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

stitches wrote:The biggest difference is Exum is capable cutter and very good finisher at the rim. He can put pressure on defenses at least with his ability to go to the rim.

Exum can't do that because he'll get benched for it by Snyder for looking for his own offense.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#64 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#65 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 pm

We have two clips of Exum practicing and both show off his loosey goosey handle :lol:
stitches
RealGM

Post#66 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:We have two clips of Exum practicing and both show off his loosey goosey handle :lol:

I was going to say something similar, but decided to not be a party pooper. Thanks for taking the mantle from me for this one. :lol:
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#67 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm

On a serious note, I think Exum’s handle is one of the reasons he needs to be next to a player like Mitchell. IMO there’s a natural synergy there that’s not always present with two combo guards.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#68 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:We have two clips of Exum practicing and both show off his loosey goosey handle :lol:

I was going to say something similar, but decided to not be a party pooper. Thanks for taking the mantle from me for this one. :lol:

Was going to say the same thing...

stitches
RealGM

Post#69 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 pm

KqWIN wrote:On a serious note, I think Exum’s handle is one of the reasons he needs to be next to a player like Mitchell. IMO there’s a natural synergy there that’s not always present with two combo guards.

The interesting thing is that when they played together it was Exum who was playing the primary ballhandler.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#70 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:On a serious note, I think Exum’s handle is one of the reasons he needs to be next to a player like Mitchell. IMO there’s a natural synergy there that’s not always present with two combo guards.

The interesting thing is that when they played together it was Exum who was playing the primary ballhandler.

True, and I still think that might be how it works in the future. Having said that, Mitchell has improved his guard skills by leaps and bounds since then. Mitchell was so wild to begin the season.

Who brings the ball up, I don’t really care, but I think you need more than Exum to have that burden just in case the defense tries to pressure.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#71 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm not willing to comment on whether Exum is a terrible shooter or not until we see him in action. However, based on SL and pre-season play that didn't appear to be a looming issue. Remember, he is still only 22 and has been rehabbing for 2 seasons...
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#72 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:I'm not willing to comment on whether Exum is a terrible shooter or not until we see him in action. However, based on SL and pre-season play that didn't appear to be a looming issue. Remember, he is still only 22 and has been rehabbing for 2 seasons...

And what about the two seasons he did play and shot terribly? Are we going to let a handful of SL and pre-season games cloud that data?

I'm a big Exum supporter but that he has been a terrible shooter up until now is undeniable. Hopefully he can improve since he's still young and shooting is one of the things that are easier to fix over time. That he shot well in a few SL and pre-season games is definitely better than him shooting poorly at those games. Hopefully it was a sign of legitimate improvement, but for the 148 games we did have to see him in action, his shot was poor indeed.

Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: RE: Re: Dante Exum 17-18 Thread 

Post#73 » by Winglish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter
As several have commented, Dante darn near loses the ball in this clip.

BUT...

He did get some arch on his shot and spun it off his fingers with nice rotation on the ball instead of tossing that damn knuckleball.

(Am I really writing this? Do I want to be the one who contributes to the Dante defenders? The world is coming to an end.)

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
flat_eric
Junior
And1: 156

Post#74 » by flat_eric » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:13 am

What is the latest thinking in regards to a timetable for Dante's injury? Do we think there is any chance he comes back after the ASG? With the pressure of winning more subdued than in his 2016-17 season, it would be great to see him paired with Mitchell in order to develop that combination moving forward.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#75 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 am

flat_eric wrote:What is the latest thinking in regards to a timetable for Dante's injury? Do we think there is any chance he comes back after the ASG? With the pressure of winning more subdued than in his 2016-17 season, it would be great to see him paired with Mitchell in order to develop that combination moving forward.

Yeah the rumor is he will be back after the ASG.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#76 » by Cappy_Smurf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:54 am

I've had multiple debates with posters here and elsewhere about Utah signing or matching a 4 year deal next year. Right after he was injured again, there were quite a few people predicting he'd end up playing for the QO.

Here's a quote from Tony Jones in the Trib:

I don’t think it really matters if there’s a lot of interest around the league for Dante Exum because the Jazz almost certainly are going to keep him. He’s solidly in the long-term plans for this franchise. Let’s put it this way: The Jazz think Exum’s injury has hurt the team almost as much as Rudy Gobert’s injury.

:wassup:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#77 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 am

Need to move players to let DM and Ex to really shine. Those two will be one of the best guard combos in the league soon. I can't hardly what for them to start the jelling. Ricky will be coming off the bench next year. P.s i'm really starting to like this O neal kid. Our next Paul Millsap...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#78 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:I've had multiple debates with posters here and elsewhere about Utah signing or matching a 4 year deal next year. Right after he was injured again, there were quite a few people predicting he'd end up playing for the QO.

Here's a quote from Tony Jones in the Trib:

I don’t think it really matters if there’s a lot of interest around the league for Dante Exum because the Jazz almost certainly are going to keep him. He’s solidly in the long-term plans for this franchise. Let’s put it this way: The Jazz think Exum’s injury has hurt the team almost as much as Rudy Gobert’s injury.

:wassup:

The Jazz may want to keep Exum, but he might not want to sign a deal right now. As previously discussed, this FA market would have been hard for him even if he weren't injured. With the injury, his value plummeted even further and hurt his chances to get a good deal even more. In order to keep him (long term), the Jazz will have to either offer him a deal he'll be willing to sign--which is far from a given--or match an offer from another team. Since the market for him is likely to be tough, with very little teams with money to spend and his value at a low-point, he might not get a good enough offer for him to sign anywhere. He might decide to take the QO and become a UFA after a year of playing and increasing his value, in a FA market which will have more teams with cap space than this FA period, and when his RFA-status won't scare away teams from making an offer. He also might not want to spend next year as Rubio's backup, and might not want to play under Snyder's system which has not utilized him to the best of his abilities and stuck him waiting in the corner. We'll have to see what happens but some reporter saying the Jazz would like to keep Exum is still far from a guarantee it will happen. Could go either way imho.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#79 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 am

26 seconds without fumbling the ball once!

Read on Twitter
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#80 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 am

KqWIN wrote:26 seconds without fumbling the ball once!

Read on Twitter

Does it count if he didn't dribble the ball and it was only catch and shoot?

Return to Utah Jazz