Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Re: Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood 

Post#81 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Well, when the crowd booed Hood, he wasn't really forcing it. He was getting great open looks from what I can recall. He just wasn't making them, and got booed for it. Shame that it happened.

Wide open and missing makes it even harder to not boo him for fans. Last year he misses a couple he doesn't run down and shot three more trying to get himself going. Open or not. One thing I love about DM. He'll drive and get to a free throw line or easy buckets. Not keep launching bombs because your open.

Snyder's system depends on players like him taking those open shots though. It even demands Rubio to shoot. If Hood stops taking wide open shots, who'll spread the floor, or score? I don't have a problem with Hood taking wide open shots. I get fans get frustrated by seeing him miss, but if he's out there bricking shots and the coach keeps him in then it's also on the coach (and it might not be a bad decision). It's not good for fans to single out players. If the team plays poorly and embarrass itself, boo the team as a whole--I can understand that. If you boo individual players from your own team while they are still on the court, that's just...well, Spida covered it.

lol. Q system is that players will end up making some of those shots, If he's not making them and wants to stay on the floor he needs to do it another way. Driving to the hole going to the line or getting others wide open looks. Drive and kick may not be Hoods strong suit tho. Rebs or great D. Which Hood isn't know for but needs to do better in order to be worth close to max money.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#82 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:lol. Q system is that players will end up making some of those shots, If he's not making them and wants to stay on the floor he needs to do it another way. Driving to the hole going to the line or getting others wide open looks. Drive and kick may not be Hoods strong suit tho. Rebs or great D. Which Hood isn't know for but needs to do better in order to be worth close to max money.

If Hood isn't making his shots and doesn't do anything else on the floor and yet stays on it, at that point our ire should be directed at the coach rather than the player since Hood can't really sub himself.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#83 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
I'm not saying you shouldn't boo him because of his race, I'm saying that given the way black athletes are treated in particular it's *obviously* bad and comes loaded with a particular history that white athletes don't have to contend with. I'll stop here, I've made my point.

Maybe 30 years ago, History. When do we move on and leave it history? People seam to assume because your black your going to rock in sports. White guys have to play at a higher level to be seen as a pro. Just like Mexicans are seen as harder workers. Remember white men can't jump. :P

Addressing the first sentence, I can assure you that this kind of racism is still very common in Alabama and across the deep South.

No really. When can we leave it history and move on from the past? Digging up bones only brings up hard feeling of a sad past. Don't kid yourself thinking only whites treated black poorly. In 1885 the peak of slavery there was over 2000 black who owned over 20 thousand slaves. FYI.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#84 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Let's try to stay away from the race stuff. Things could get ugly real fast.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#85 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:lol. Q system is that players will end up making some of those shots, If he's not making them and wants to stay on the floor he needs to do it another way. Driving to the hole going to the line or getting others wide open looks. Drive and kick may not be Hoods strong suit tho. Rebs or great D. Which Hood isn't know for but needs to do better in order to be worth close to max money.

If Hood isn't making his shots and doesn't do anything else of the floor and yet stays on it, at that point our ire should be directed at the coach rather than the player since Hood can't really sub himself.

I think Q knows Hood is in a contract year and giving him ever chance possible at success. Friend / coach? Notice Friend first on the list?
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#86 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Let's try to stay away from the race stuff. Things could get ugly real fast.

Yes. I agree 100% I hate the thought of any person being in bondage to anyone. Make my blood boil.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#87 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

If Hood isn't making his shots and doesn't do anything else of the floor and yet stays on it, at that point our ire should be directed at the coach rather than the player since Hood can't really sub himself.

I think Q knows Hood is in a contract year and giving him ever chance possible at success. Friend / coach? Notice Friend first on the list?

Well, I'm not a big Snyder fan. But given this team's difficulty to score and space the floor, I don't think he has much choice. And if he benches Hood and puts him in the doghouse in a contract year then that will also not be good for Hood, his relationship with Snyder, or the Jazz's standing with Hood's agent and other agents in the league--they will take notice of what the Jazz do to a player in a contract year. There are no good options here, and everyone share some blame. Which is why inserting the fans targeting a player into this already bad situation is a really bad idea.

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood 

Post#88 » by sipclip » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Nah, it's actually pretty relevant. IDK why we have the hesitation to "not bring race into it," the crowd shouldn't boo him and it comes off as a bunch of people at the game to watch a circus act. Regardless of what you think, that kind of behavior has a very real impact on athletes.

Even white Gordon was booed when drafted. Not to sure race is the problem as much as banking in one three and missing the other seven shots by a mile. I'm not the kind of fan who'd boo. Only the fan who'd ask why the coach still thinks he needs him in the game? I understand you want a leash but there comes a point with players. :(

You are missing a historical context though in which black athletes have been treated poorly and as a spectacle for years. Someone like Rodney Hood is coming from Mississippi where he likely grew up hearing racist comments especially centered around his role as an athlete, and even the history of professional and college sports reflects this. I'm not saying fans don't boo white players or that that isn't wrong too, I'm saying that there is a historical context that makes it especially bad, and that people who haven't spent significant time with black people or in the South might not understand. Race is relevant here whether or not people want it to be or intend it to be.

I'm so sick of this race baiting crap that this society has turned into. Hood was booed for bad basketball. Nothing more. Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Ostertag were also booed for bad basketball. There is absolutely nothing racial here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#89 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Hood made some shots in the 2nd half, but holy-crap the first half was a disaster. He went 1-7 (with a bank-shot 3 as his only make) in about an 8 minute span. WTF?

I'm pretty much over Hood, Johnson & Rubio at this point.

I still see some value in what Rubio does on D, but it's time to move on from these guys. Hood will almost certainly ask for more money than the Jazz should pay for a one-dimensional, hot & cold 3 point chucker, so get what you can for him now. Johnson is a classy dude, but he's simply not shooting the ball well at all, so unless they want a highly paid veteran locker room presence (that shouldn't play), then move him too if you can.

I'm not in on the tank, but I am in on logic. These 3 are doing as much harm as good on the court and there's no up-side to any of them.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Re: RE: Re: Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood 

Post#90 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 pm

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Yeah, the more I think about it, the more cringey I feel about it. This is not good.

We have had a lot of players leave on bad terms. Sometimes it's the coach, the city, the gm ect....

But don't forget about the fans. Utah sports fans are crummy and fair whether. That extends to CFB as well.

bull. Utah sports fans are really good fans. Extremely passionate fans but great fans. Don't go talking this crap about us.

Our beloved coach of many years quit on the team, not only mid-season, but in the middle of a game. So what does the majority of our fans base do? Well of course, they throw Deron Williams under the bus. They did this at a time when Utah was struggling, yet Deron stood by the team, when 3 other stars around the league in similar situations were all forcing trades. Many of these dummies would still boo Deron to this day, and really, the worst thing Deron ever did was care too much about winning. Back then our fans were making fun of Carmelo Anthony for laughing with his teammates on the bench while his team was losing, yet want to boo Deron for being grumpy when his team was struggling. In Utah, I guess our athletes are expected to be the perfect amount of serious and yet polite when they lose.

Sorry if you can't handle the truth, but a big part of our fan base really sucks. The only thing that eases that embarrassment is the fact that's true about sports fans pretty much anywhere.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#91 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Utah is an uptight state and for a good amount of fans the only place they can let their hair down is at sporting events, I think that has a negative effect overall at these events. Sometimes our fans can be uneducated when it comes to the NBA, Utah is still a football state in my opinion even though we don't have an NFL team so that leaves fans not really aware of how basketball works or should be played. Also look at Larry H Miller, he wasn't your typical owner, he would go yell at the team at halftime and that doesn't really help the fan/player relationship when the owner acts like a stronzo.
Ingles is cooked.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#92 » by Winglish » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Fans in places like Utah should NOT boo their own team's players if fans ever want free agents to look at the team!

This is TERRIBLE behavior on our fans' part. There is no silver lining to turning against your own team.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#93 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 pm

It had just occurred to me that the thread should be titled, "SHood He Stay or SHood He Go? - Rodney Hood".

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#94 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:It had just occurred to me that the thread should be titled, "SHood He Stay or SHood He Go? - Rodney Hood".

That's awesome.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#95 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

If Hood isn't making his shots and doesn't do anything else on the floor and yet stays on it, at that point our ire should be directed at the coach rather than the player since Hood can't really sub himself.

Absolutely true. Which confirms the criticism against Quin and his in game management and stubbornness of not adjusting on the fly. Or at least the perception of him not adjusting. It does seem to be that way.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#96 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Absolutely true. Which confirms the criticism against Quin and his in game management and stubbornness of not adjusting on the fly. Or at least the perception of him not adjusting. It does seem to be that way.

I asked Andy on his JazzChat and he said Quin absolutely does but we just may not notice it.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood 

Post#97 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
We have had a lot of players leave on bad terms. Sometimes it's the coach, the city, the gm ect....

But don't forget about the fans. Utah sports fans are crummy and fair whether. That extends to CFB as well.

bull. Utah sports fans are really good fans. Extremely passionate fans but great fans. Don't go talking this crap about us.

Our beloved coach of many years quit on the team, not only mid-season, but in the middle of a game. So what does the majority of our fans base do? Well of course, they throw Deron Williams under the bus. They did this at a time when Utah was struggling, yet Deron stood by the team, when 3 other stars around the league in similar situations were all forcing trades. Many of these dummies would still boo Deron to this day, and really, the worst thing Deron ever did was care too much about winning. Back then our fans were making fun of Carmelo Anthony for laughing with his teammates on the bench while his team was losing, yet want to boo Deron for being grumpy when his team was struggling. In Utah, I guess our athletes are expected to be the perfect amount of serious and yet polite when they lose.

Sorry if you can't handle the truth, but a big part of our fan base really sucks. The only thing that eases that embarrassment is the fact that's true about sports fans pretty much anywhere.

You have a funny recollection of the facts. The rumors that Deron wanted out were starting to get pretty loud by the time he was traded and to say the only thing Deron ever did was care too much about winning is simply not true. In fact Deron had a very up and down work ethic which is one of the things that created friction with Jerry Sloan. He would get up for the big games but then starting to take nights off against lower competition which led to some pretty bad losses. As far as players being grumpy about losing goes I think we all wish that was the case with all of our players but unfortunately on this team that only seems to be the case with Rudy. He called guys out last year for bad efforts and George Hill didn't like it because Rudy was talking about him. Most of the players on this team just don't seem to have that fire to want to be great and win at all costs. Hopefully we have 2 guys in Rudy and Mitchell that do have that mind set because that is something you have to have from your leaders. Unfortunately right now with Mitchell being a rookie he probably can't get on his teammates the way he will in a few years when he is viewed as the leader of this team.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#98 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 am

GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I asked Andy on his JazzChat and he said Quin absolutely does but we just may not notice it.

I would say that we have plenty of people on this board that know the game better than Andy Larson I will take what we see with our own eyes over what he says any day. Have you listened to he and Ben Anderson's show? They come off as really bad basketball minds on that show.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#99 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 am

Hood's eFG% and TS% is actually a tiny bit higher than last year, but since his shot attempts are up, it is even more noticeable now when he is off. We had hopes before the season that he could be our leading scorer at 18 ppg with more consistent shooting than last year. He did average 17.4 ppg as a starter early this season, but his consistency was about the same as last year, and his defense got worse. Then DM took his starting job away.

Now we are trying to make Hood a microwave scorer off the bench. That started out pretty well, but now he is having consistency problems again and he continues to play weak defense. We may be asking Hood to try to do too much. Still, his overall offensive numbers off the bench aren't horrible: 16 ppg on .523 TS%.

I wouldn't boo Hood. I think for the most part Hood is taking shots the coach wants him to take. The coach is continuing to have Hood fire away because either Hood is our best option off the bench or because he still believes Hood has a chance to develop in to a more consistent offensive player, or a little of both. JMO.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#100 » by Dry Fly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

The best place for fans to boo a player is right here. You don't boo your own players on the court. Who does that?

Expectations for Hood were astronomical... I basically put the team on his shoulders in my own mind. He failed miserably, probably because of those expectations. Hood is too delicate. Trade him ASAP.

Return to Utah Jazz