Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Re: Should He Stay or Should He Go?- Rodney Hood 

Post#101 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 am

Nice bounce back SHood...Made shots Reb steals. Good all around game tonight. That's the Hood we want every night. Those games will make him some money. Value needle moving up. Good job RH.
Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Post#102 » by Wolverine » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 am

Looks like he will be moved
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#104 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:04 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:preliminary discussions? Which would be what? A offer. You believe they set down and said we're willing to pay Hood 4 to 6 million a year? There not in the business to insult players or cheat there young players. I know there was a fair offer on the table In the preliminary discussions. Think about it.

There is a difference between discussion and an actual offer, which is what I'm asking about. Was it ever reported that the Jazz made an offer to Hood for X amount of money for X amount of years and he said no? I think not. At this point, I can't even remember if there were any reports about what the Jazz were willing to offer even as part of a discussion and not as an actual offer.

You really don't think Jazz made a offer? :lol: Ever hear of a Qualifying offer? Had to be a offer in order for the Jazz to be able to match any offer that player might get from any other teams. :banghead: Like i said. Jazz aren't in business to insult players with a low ball offer. What they thought was going to be close to market value which would be close to 15 mill a year.

Q/o won't be until this upcoming summer, not last summer.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#105 » by KqWIN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Jazz looking to trade Rodney Hood before NBA's deadline

Rodney Hood may not be with the Utah Jazz for the long haul.

Multiple league sources tell The Tribune that the Jazz have increased efforts to move the shooting guard before the NBA’s Feb. 8 trade deadline, and there is enough interest throughout the league that Hood likely will be with another team for the remainder of the season.

With the deadline a little less than two weeks away, Hood joins starting big man Derrick Favors as Jazz players who are available.

Hood is averaging a career-high 16.7 points per game this season. He’s shooting 38.6 percent from 3-point range, and he’s shooting 41.3 percent overall.

But Hood, who views himself as an starter, was sent to the bench for Donovan Mitchell earlier in the season. He’s missed nine games with various injuries, and his status as a restricted free agent this summer elicits uncertainty over his long term future.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2018/01/20/jazz-looking-to-trade-rodney-hood-before-nbas-deadline/
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#106 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:11 pm

If these recent reports about the Jazz attempting (as opposed to just listening to\receiving offers from other teams) to trade Hood are true then they should have traded him last season. They knew this day would come, so why wait until the last moment, back yourself into a corner and reduce his value? smh at the FO. :nonono:

Spoiler:
Oh, right, because of Hayward. That worked out splendidly. Yet another asset whose value was eroded because of that decision.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#107 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:If these recent reports about the Jazz attempting (as opposed to just listening to\receiving offers from other teams) to trade Hood are true then they should have traded him last season. They knew this day would come, so why wait until the last moment, back yourself into a corner and reduce his value? smh at the FO. :nonono:

Spoiler:
Oh, right, because of Hayward. That worked out splendidly. Yet another asset whose value was eroded because of that decision.

The Jazz couldn't trade Hood last season, not just because of Hayward, but because of injuries. Hood has been injury plagued his whole career and last year was the worst for him. Nobody is going to trade for that. It's the same problem they have with Favors. They have no value because of injuries, not because the FO has had to wait for them to be somewhat healthy for them to be tradeable, which unfortunately coincides with the end of their contract.

Injuries have hurt this team far more than just wins and losses and lost time to develop. It's absolutely killed players value and decimated any assets players could become.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#108 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am

Sounds like Rodney asked to be traded because he thinks he’s a starter...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#109 » by stitches » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 am

GobertReport wrote:Image

What? How did you come to that conclusion? And what is that thing you are posting?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#110 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm

stitches wrote:

What? How did you come to that conclusion? And what is that thing you are posting?

That’s his aunt replying to someone on a Andy Larsen tweet and it would make sense after Tony Jones wrote that piece stating the Jazz are actively trying to trade him.

Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#111 » by stitches » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Spoiler:
stitches wrote:

That’s his aunt replying to someone on a Andy Larsen tweet and it would make sense after Tony Jones wrote that piece stating the Jazz are actively trying to trade him.

Oh thanks for clarifying that. I just checked her profile. It seems like it was created with the singular goal of defending Rodney against Random snarky comments. I am not sure how much she knows about what the Jazz/Hood relationship is like and if we can take from those tweets that Rodney asked to be traded(although it's possible).
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#112 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Spoiler:
stitches wrote:What? How did you come to that conclusion? And what is that thing you are posting?

Oh thanks for clarifying that. I just checked her profile. It seems like it was created with the singular goal of defending Rodney against Random snarky comments. I am not sure how much she knows about what the Jazz/Hood relationship is like and if we can take from those tweets that Rodney asked to be traded(although it's possible).

No worries and being his aunt she probably hears what’s going on from his mom or dad, she probably knows enough of what’s going on.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#113 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 am

Maybe losing his starting job plus getting the boos set Rodney off? But we don't really know whether Rodney has complained, do we? As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't boo Rodney Hood. I think we probably expected too much out of Rodney too soon. I think he is probably working hard and taking shots that the coach wants him to take. I still think he stands a chance of being a gradual improvement guy over the next four years, but I wouldn't pay him as though a substantially higher ceiling is a foregone conclusion.

Rodney's eFG% and TS% is actually better than Hayward's was his fourth season. Of course Rodney does not have the rebounds and assists that Gordon had, and Rodney has a pretty bad Defensive RPM this year.

Here's a fourth year comparison between Hayward and Hood:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Rodney+Hood&player_id1_select=Rodney+Hood&y1=2018&player_id1=hoodro01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Gordon+Hayward&player_id2_select=Gordon+Hayward&y2=2014&player_id2=haywago01&idx=players
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#114 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 am

Do we have any reason at all to believe that is actually Hood's aunt?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#115 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Maybe losing his starting job plus getting the boos set Rodney off? But we don't really know whether Rodney has complained, do we? As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't boo Rodney Hood. I think we probably expected too much out of Rodney too soon. I think he is probably working hard and taking shots that the coach wants him to take. I still think he stands a chance of being a gradual improvement guy over the next four years, but I wouldn't pay him as though a substantially higher ceiling is a foregone conclusion.

Rodney's eFG% and TS% is actually better than Hayward's was his fourth season. Of course Rodney does not have the rebounds and assists that Gordon had, and Rodney has a pretty bad Defensive RPM this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Rodney+Hood&player_id1_select=Rodney+Hood&y1=2018&player_id1=hoodro01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Gordon+Hayward&player_id2_select=Gordon+Hayward&y2=2014&player_id2=haywago01&idx=players

Yeah, Rodney appears to play better with a chip on his shoulder.

You’re comparing Hayward’s worst year with Hood’s best. Moreover, Hood does not have the assist rate, rebound rate or defense Hayward had at the same age or stage of career. I was hoping Hood would make a jump, but I think he is who he is now, and while a good player, it is a big gamble signing him to a large contract.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#116 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Maybe losing his starting job plus getting the boos set Rodney off? But we don't really know whether Rodney has complained, do we? As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't boo Rodney Hood. I think we probably expected too much out of Rodney too soon. I think he is probably working hard and taking shots that the coach wants him to take. I still think he stands a chance of being a gradual improvement guy over the next four years, but I wouldn't pay him as though a substantially higher ceiling is a foregone conclusion.

Yeah, Rodney appears to play better with a chip on his shoulder.

You’re comparing Hayward’s worst year with Hood’s best. Moreover, Hood does not have the assist rate, rebound rate or defense Hayward had at the same age or stage of career. I was hoping Hood would make a jump, but I think he is who he is now, and while a good player, it is a big gamble signing him to a large contract.

Well I am on the first page of this thread saying that if Hood continues to play at about the same level has been playing this season for the remainder of the season, that the Jazz should try to sign him cheap at around $12 mill per year next summer, thinking that the market may not be very strong for Rodney next summer. But I didn't feel particularly strong about having to re-sign him, and that $12 mill number may have been unrealistically low. And since then, we've heard that Hood views himself as a starter. I am not interested in having Hood as a starter unless his overall game improves, especially on defense.

From the Tony Jones article over the weekend, it sounds like there is a fair amount of interest in Hood around the league at this trade deadline. Hood's ability to shoot the three off the dribble piques teams' interests. If we trade Hood, I hope we get something useful back; I will wish Rodney Hood a nice career elsewhere and I will look forward to seeing more minutes for Burks, O'neal and Exum the latter part of this season. I won't boo Rodney Hood when he comes back to town.
stitches
RealGM

Post#117 » by stitches » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#118 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Hood has been streaky his entire career. The only consistent thing is that he plays poorly while dinged up. Other than that, I don’t think there’s any rhyme or reason why he plays great and then he plays poorly. He’s just streaky.

I also think the Hayward comparison is dumb. If everyone improved their game that much, there would be a lot more Hayward’s around the league. His development is what made him special.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#119 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

KqWIN wrote:Hood has been streaky his entire career. The only consistent thing is that he plays poorly while dinged up. Other than that, I don’t think there’s any rhyme or reason why he plays great and then he plays poorly. He’s just streaky.

I also think the Hayward comparison is dumb. If everyone improved their game that much, there would be a lot more Hayward’s around the league. His development is what made him special.

Yeah....But I was not on board for a Hayward max money like he got...Hell no. Not a max money guy in my book. I liked GH but more as second go to player. Robin not a batman. DM is going to be our Batman with EX and Rudy as our Robin. Those three should be who we build around. Like you said. Streaky..Way to streaky..If it was every other game sure. Every other tenth game? :banghead: Drives me crazy. Just like how Gordon H would choke the last two to four minutes of about every game. Jazz are getting open shots just not making them. That's why i'm still high on Quin leading these guys. Still playing fairly hard just not making there shots. Couple key moves the jazz will be a really good team.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#120 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:If these recent reports about the Jazz attempting (as opposed to just listening to\receiving offers from other teams) to trade Hood are true then they should have traded him last season. They knew this day would come, so why wait until the last moment, back yourself into a corner and reduce his value? smh at the FO. :nonono:

Spoiler:

The Jazz couldn't trade Hood last season, not just because of Hayward, but because of injuries. Hood has been injury plagued his whole career and last year was the worst for him. Nobody is going to trade for that. It's the same problem they have with Favors. They have no value because of injuries, not because the FO has had to wait for them to be somewhat healthy for them to be tradeable, which unfortunately coincides with the end of their contract.

Injuries have hurt this team far more than just wins and losses and lost time to develop. It's absolutely killed players value and decimated any assets players could become.

I concur. Hood's trade value is likely higher now than it was last year at this time, even with his continues consistency issues. He's at least made a jump from "made of glass" to "made of ceramic" ;) Even as a rent-a-player for a contender, or as an expiring contract, he's probably still more valuable than as an always-injured player with 1.5 years left on his deal. And yes, thinking that Haywood was going to re-sign, and the team would have Hood as a complementary piece to an up and coming team, isn't terrible. Now, thinking he'd replace Haywood's productivity once he bolted ... that would have been plain dumb.

Return to Utah Jazz