Miro to Jazz and is this enough to turn things around

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Fournier or Mirotic who would You like more in Jazz uni?

Fournier
13%
Mirotic
87%

Total votes: 46

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Miro to Jazz and is this enough to turn things around 

Post#181 » by stitches » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 pm

KqWIN wrote:
There is a point to Mirotic. He could be an significant upgrade and a long term piece. Not everybody sees him as rental.

Ersan doesn’t have the potential for either.

It doesn't matter how people see Mirotic. It matters how Mirotic sees himself in 2019.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#182 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:There is a point to Mirotic. He could be an significant upgrade and a long term piece. Not everybody sees him as rental.

Ersan doesn’t have the potential for

It doesn't matter if some see him as a long term piece--we will get to that point when offering him a contract in 2019 whether we trade for him or not. Until then, he's a 1 year rental wherever he goes, regardless of anyone's intentions. We should learn from our mistakes. Those who see Mirotic as a long term piece bank on having Mirotic for 1.5 seasons, and hope that this span of time will convince him to sign with the Jazz once he becomes an unrestricted free agent. But we've been through this ordeal before. The Jazz saw Hayward as a long term piece, and he was here for 7 seasons, but at the first time he had control of his destination, he went elsewhere. The Jazz saw Hill as a long term piece, gave up a lottery pick for him, and once he became a UFA, he went to the highest bidder.

Mirotic is not a guy who made a huge amount of money in his career. He is one of those players who'll likely go in free agency to the highest bidder and sign the best contract he can when he's entering his prime, since it will likely be the biggest contract of his career. So that season with the Jazz doesn't really matters as much as what contract they are prepared to offer and what contract the rest of the teams in the league are prepared to offer him.

As for Ersan, he is putting up the same numbers this season as Mirotic had his entire career up until this latest outburst. Sure, Mirotic is probably better and is younger, but they are pretty comparable players.

There is value to getting a guy now versus banking on getting him later. I also think you have a different definition of rental. For me, rental means you buy and then he’s gone. I mean, that’s what a rental is in the real world. If you end up keeping it, that’s not a rental.

Side note, I don’t think Hayward and Hill were mistakes. Their process was fine and the risks were worth taking. There’s not really anything to learn from those decisions.

Anyways, there’s also the value of you know, winning more games next season. It may not mean anything to you, but it does for 99% of the fan/customer base.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#183 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
There is a point to Mirotic. He could be an significant upgrade and a long term piece. Not everybody sees him as rental.

Ersan doesn’t have the potential for either.

It doesn't matter how people see Mirotic. It matters how Mirotic sees himself in 2019.

??

What I mean is that it’s not a given that Mirotic is here for 1.5 years, and then has no chance of resigning. Whether he’s a rental or not depends on his FA decision, and as far as I can tell it’s not a forgone conclusion.

I think it is a forgone conclusion that Favors is gone, so if that’s the price I don’t see why you wouldn’t do it.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#184 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm

If the Jazz will offer Mirotic more money than everyone else, he's likely to choose the Jazz. So why give up assets for him now if that's what will have to happen anyway? Favors for Mirotic, value-wise, is ok. Not great, but ok. Favors + 1st for Mirotic? Pass.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#185 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:If the Jazz will offer Mirotic more money than everyone else, he's likely to choose the Jazz. So why give up assets for him now if that's what will have to happen anyway? Favors for Mirotic, value-wise, is ok. Not great, but ok. Favors + 1st for Mirotic? Pass.

The first trade is what I’d do, the second trade I agree that is a hard pass.

The value of adding Mirotic now is much more beneficial than 40 more games of Favors. I would be shocked if there is any mutual interest for Favs’ free agency between he and the Jazz.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#186 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:If the Jazz will offer Mirotic more money than everyone else, he's likely to choose the Jazz. So why give up assets for him now if that's what will have to happen anyway? Favors for Mirotic, value-wise, is ok. Not great, but ok. Favors + 1st for Mirotic? Pass.

The first trade is what I’d do, the second trade I agree that is a hard pass.

The value of adding Mirotic now is much more beneficial than 40 more games of Favors. I would be shocked if there is any mutual interest for Favs’ free agency between he and the Jazz.

Nah, I think the relationship with Favors and the Jazz has run its course. Sad, but probably true. He should get a good sendoff from fans when he moves on, he deserves it.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#187 » by outerspacefella » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#188 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm

outerspacefella wrote:Image

It feels like Mirotic to the Jazz has been agreed to and will go down soon.

mark53
Junior
And1: 59

Post#189 » by mark53 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 pm

I dont tweet. Please explain that
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#190 » by stitches » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

mark53 wrote:I dont tweet. Please explain that

Mirotic started following Mitchell the other day. Mitchell has followed Mirotic back...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#191 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

mark53 wrote:I dont tweet. Please explain that

It says in Spanish that Mitchell and David J. Smith are following Mirotic.

Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Re: RE: Re: Miro to Jazz and is this enough to turn things around 

Post#192 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 pm

sipclip wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Huge pass. Why are we talking about guys who don’t fit our timeline and are tread options.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

No question that Mirotic is the most complete player available in our price range right now. I floated the first trade proposal regarding him in the trades thread about three weeks ago. The problem is that we seem to have a lot of tire kickers around here that would rather haggle all day than actually commit to a deal. This is a cheaper alternative that still has some offensive firepower which we require in a deal (originally proposed by another poster), but alas still no consensus. I'm starting to think that Utah fans are spoiled by the recent fleecings of Denver and less recently Brooklyn and demand to eat gourmet steak on a hamburger budget or nothing at all.

You are completely missing the point. That trade would be strictly for this season and that doesn't matter at this point. Also to say we have fleeced Denver again is a massive overstatement. As of this year Lyles level of play is quite a bit higher than Mitchell and at only 22yrs old he still could have quite a bit of room for improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

Que? Mirotic has a year and a half on his contract, this is the player I've been advocating all along. Yes I did mention that I liked Belinelli which we could pick up cheap to shore up our swing position. And yes he does have an expiring contract, but that's a no lose proposition because we could give him a test drive and easily re-sign him on the cheap or we could let him walk to make room for fresh talent. (Do you guys even remember how many clutch shots this guy has made over the years or the list of Allstars he defeated in 2014 in the three point contest?) As far as Denver, I was not referring to Mitchell but rather the Gobert pick which we acquired along with Manhatten Island for some glass beads and buttons. Missing the point?
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
mark53
Junior
And1: 59

Post#193 » by mark53 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Gotcha. Thanks. Not sure that means anything, just keeping up on news and gossip i suppose. Although I think both teams are working phones for a third team at this point. Bulls will pick up his option to eliminate his no trade if they have to but Utah makes it easier that way. Mirotic can be moved Monday but it may drag out looking for the third team.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#194 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Stern Fixer wrote: And yes he does have an expiring contract, but that's a no lose proposition because we could give him a test drive and easily re-sign him on the cheap or we could let him walk to make room for fresh talent.

Mirotic could be easily re-signed on the cheap as a UFA? How?

JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#195 » by JazzyPhinz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:44 pm

What kind of contract will be expected to keep Mirotic after his current deal?
outerspacefella
Analyst

Post#196 » by outerspacefella » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:46 pm

It most probably means nothing. I just found it rare DM choose this time to follow Mirotic twits.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#197 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote: And yes he does have an expiring contract, but that's a no lose proposition because we could give him a test drive and easily re-sign him on the cheap or we could let him walk to make room for fresh talent.

C'mon watch the speed bumps fellas. Please re-read as I think it's pretty clear who I was referring to.

Yes I did mention that I liked Belinelli which we could pick up cheap to shore up our swing position. And yes he does have an expiring contract, but that's a no lose proposition because we could give him a test drive and easily re-sign him on the cheap or we could let him walk to make room for fresh talent. (Do you guys even remember how many clutch shots this guy has made over the years or the list of Allstars he defeated in 2014 in the three point contest?)
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
outerspacefella
Analyst

Post#198 » by outerspacefella » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Mirotic actual deal got a 12,5M team option for 2018-19, IIRIC.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#199 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

C'mon watch the speed bumps fellas. Please re-read as I think it's pretty clear who I was referring to.

Yes I did mention that I liked Belinelli which we could pick up cheap to shore up our swing position. And yes he does have an expiring contract, but that's a no lose proposition because we could give him a test drive and easily re-sign him on the cheap or we could let him walk to make room for fresh talent. (Do you guys even remember how many clutch shots this guy has made over the years or the list of Allstars he defeated in 2014 in the three point contest?)

Yep, I misread, that. My mistake.

Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#200 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Yep, I misread, that. My mistake.

No worries, I was trying to explain my position to Sip and a little confused by his post as to who he was actually referring to with the "one year" reference. So I get that it was probably a little confusing.

And I get where you're coming from with the tank/rebuild scenario and all but just feel that guys like Gobert 25 and Ingles 30 aren't getting any younger.

Return to Utah Jazz