Ranking the players on the team

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: Ranking the players on the team 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Here is my ranking, but I don't see a whole lot of difference in value for the players after my top five players, and arguably after the top two players, considering Thabo is out with injury and Favors is most likely on his way to another team.

1. Mitchell
2. Gobert
3. Favors
4. Thabo
5. Udoh
6. Jerebko
7. Hood
8. Ingles
9. Rubio
10. JJ
11. Neto
12. Burks

I am not including O'Neal because he just started in the rotation. I think it is conceivable, though not necessarily likely, that Burks would demonstrate more value if he got 24 mpg. Who knows? And Rubio could be a more effective player on a team with more cutters, better off ball movement and better shooters. I seriously doubt that 27 year old Rubio suddenly become a worse player than the Rubio that had numerous seasons averaging nearly 9 apg.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#22 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 pm

My list is how much I care about wanting to keep the player, except Favors, who I rank at 4th despite knowing he's not a fit next to Rudy. I've also separated them into tiers.

The untouchables
1. Gobert
2. Mitchell

Don't sell low. Need to keep.
3. Exum

Would hate to see them go.
4. Favors
5. Ingles

Useful. Only move at the the right price
6. Jerebko
7. O'Neale
8. Burks

Not really future pieces, but not bad to keep either
9. Udoh
10. Sefolosha
11. Neto

If you can move them, you should
12. Hood
13. Rubio
14. J. Johnson

Unknown
N/A. Bradley
N/A. Mitrou-Long
N/A. Niang
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#23 » by dr0welf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 pm

zero24gravity wrote:My list is how much I care about wanting to keep the player, except Favors, who I rank at 4th despite knowing he's not a fit next to Rudy. I've also separated them into tiers.

The untouchables
1. Gobert
2. Mitchell

3. Exum

4. Favors
5. Ingles

6. Jerebko
7. O'Neale
8. Burks

9. Udoh
10. Sefolosha
11. Neto

12. Hood
13. Rubio
14. J. Johnson

Unknown
N/A. Bradley
N/A. Mitrou-Long
N/A. Niang

I like how you split these up. I really like Thabo and Udoh and would love to have them as roll players next year. Obviously if they are the missing piece in bringing in a solid 3rd roll player to team with Gobert and Mitchell we do it.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#24 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 am

1. Gobert
2. Mitchell
3. Favors
4. Burks
5. Hood
6. Rubio
7. Thabo
8. Ingles
9. Udoh
10. Jerebko
11. O'neale
12. Neto
13. Johnson
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#25 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 am

zero24gravity wrote:My list is how much I care about wanting to keep the player, except Favors, who I rank at 4th despite knowing he's not a fit next to Rudy. I've also separated them into tiers.

The untouchables
1. Gobert
2. Mitchell

3. Exum

4. Favors
5. Ingles

6. Jerebko
7. O'Neale
8. Burks

9. Udoh
10. Sefolosha
11. Neto

12. Hood
13. Rubio
14. J. Johnson

Unknown
N/A. Bradley
N/A. Mitrou-Long
N/A. Niang

Couple questions: Why would the Jazz pickup Thabo's "recovery from surgery" year? I agree he was a nice addition to the team but I really doubt we'll get the full Thabo next year. I think he is let go in July when the Jazz don't pick up his second year option.

I definitely see Udoh as a keeper into the future as Rudy's backup/insurance policy.

Why Favors? He can't help this team unless he comes off the bench as Rudy's backup and he will be looking for starter money. His numbers are plummeting in his "finally healthy" season. Otherwise I agree with your breakdown.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#26 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Couple questions: Why would the Jazz pickup Thabo's "recovery from surgery" year? I agree he was a nice addition to the team but I really doubt we'll get the full Thabo next year. I think he is let go in July when the Jazz don't pick up his second year option.

Depends on the prognosis for recovery. Have you heard speculation about it? Not the same injury at all, but Sefalosha came back strong as ever from his broken leg. I really hope Sefalosha can come back strong from this injury as well. He's a great veteran defensive leader for the wings on a very affordable contract.

MTJazzv3 wrote:I definitely see Udoh as a keeper into the future as Rudy's backup/insurance policy.

Yep, Udoh is already outstanding defensively, and he may even have a bit more offense in him than he has shown so far.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm

The Jazz might pick up Thabo's option for the same reason they picked up Neto's option recently--to do right by the player. Thabo will be an expiring asset next season so he'll be movable, and his 5.25M deal is not a big cap hit. There may be more value in doing right by a vet in this scenario and gain "points" with agents and vets around the league than there will be in not picking up the option, especially when it could easily be moved. And if Thabo comes back and plays well, even better.

As for Udoh, next season he'll be an expiring 31-32 year old. Not sure how much of a future he has with the Jazz or any other team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#28 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Couple questions: Why would the Jazz pickup Thabo's "recovery from surgery" year? I agree he was a nice addition to the team but I really doubt we'll get the full Thabo next year. I think he is let go in July when the Jazz don't pick up his second year option.

I definitely see Udoh as a keeper into the future as Rudy's backup/insurance policy.

Why Favors? He can't help this team unless he comes off the bench as Rudy's backup and he will be looking for starter money. His numbers are plummeting in his "finally healthy" season. Otherwise I agree with your breakdown.

On my list Sefolosha was labeled "Not really future pieces, but not bad to keep either". Not exactly a ringing endorsement to keep him. It'll just depend on his recovery & what roster spots are available after the offseason.

Udoh has been nice, no doubt. But he's on the wrong side of 30 for a team who is semi-rebuilding. Again, labeled "not bad to keep", so it's all dependent on circumstances & roster make-up for next year. For example, if Bradley really develops or the Jazz draft a big in the lottery, do we really need a 32 year old taking those minutes?

Favors came with a clear disclaimer at the top of my post. :) I ranked him 4th, despite knowing he's not a good fit with Gobert, simply out of respect for his talent & abilities. I really like him, but I know it's almost certain he's gone.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#29 » by dr0welf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 am

zero24gravity wrote:

On my list Sefolosha was labeled "Not really future pieces, but not bad to keep either". Not exactly a ringing endorsement to keep him. It'll just depend on his recovery & what roster spots are available after the offseason.

Udoh has been nice, no doubt. But he's on the wrong side of 30 for a team who is semi-rebuilding. Again, labeled "not bad to keep", so it's all dependent on circumstances & roster make-up for next year. For example, if Bradley really develops or the Jazz draft a big in the lottery, do we really need a 32 year old taking those minutes?

Favors came with a clear disclaimer at the top of my post. :) I ranked him 4th, despite knowing he's not a good fit with Gobert, simply out of respect for his talent & abilities. I really like him, but I know it's almost certain he's gone.

I think its important to have some veterans on your team coming off the bench and using their knowledge to teach, lead, and give 10-15 solid minutes. Thabo has played hard and I have no problem having him on our team.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#30 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Jazz might pick up Thabo's option for the same reason they picked up Neto's option recently--to do right by the player. Thabo will be an expiring asset next season so he'll be movable, and his 5.25M deal is not a big cap hit. There may be more value in doing right by a vet in this scenario and gain "points" with agents and vets around the league than there will be in not picking up the option, especially when it could easily be moved. And if Thabo comes back and plays well, even better.

As for Udoh, next season he'll be an expiring 31-32 year old. Not sure how much of a future he has with the Jazz or any other team.

Plus competing for a playoff spot, a healthy Thabo is a really useful player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz