Is Ricky Rubio tradable?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#1 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 am

This comes up in various threads and thought it deserves its own. His career and season stats here: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rubiori01.html

He's making $14.25MM this year and $14.98MM next year.

This year his 11.2 ppg is 0.8 points above his career average - what one sees is what one gets in this respect - not a scorer.

His 4.7 assists are 3.4 assists below his career averages - this completely baffles me.

What team is going to take on basically a backup PG (by the numbers) who hits 3's at a 0.295 clip for his salary? I'm guessing the market is less than thin at this point. (Neto 's numbers per 36 minutes are slightly better than Rubio's plus the bonus of 0.458 from deep) and he's making $1.47MM this year.

I think the Jazz are stuck with him or they have to waive him after Ex returns. Tradable value is backup PG, which is about a 2nd round pick.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#2 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 am

At this point I don't believe he is. The guy is just not a good basketball player right now and I don't see him improving in the near future.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 am

I think he's moveable, the question is what can you get? Certainly not what we paid, but Phoenix would probably trade an expiring + their second round pick. Personally I think that we should just keep him as long as we are moving on from Favors. He's starting to play better in the offense lately and develop some chemistry with Mitchell. Give him an offseason with our coaching staff, see if his shooting can be changed. If it can, he's better than anything we'd likely get in the 2nd round and still reasonably young. At worst, good backup and good injury insurance who seems to be well liked on the team (and often called the team leader).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#4 » by dr0welf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:23 am

I think Rubio for the right team brings decent value. A team that wants to run and let him facilitate + a team needing his defense should be willing to go after him and try him out. I still believe he is good in the right situation. Teams like Phoenix or Orlando he would fit with and probably excel.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 am

This is the first time in his career he has this negative numbers/impact on the floor.

The ast (playmaking) are the only thing anyone can't deny he's good, elite... But this year is a mix of system, bad fit and also awful perfomances by Rubio, can't deny that... Tbh, even tought the system doesn't fit him at all i'm suprised by all of this.

Suns, Magic, Knicks and maybe Spurs are the only teams i see taking a chance with him.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#6 » by lobishome » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am

No, but probably he isn't the only no tradable contract of this franchise. I'm thinking in one or two more.

Anyway you can get rid any toxic contract x negative assets.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Next year he's a 15M expiring deal. He could be moved then.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#8 » by Quentin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm

He is a backup PG in the NBA. That's where he'd be good. 15-18 minutes off the bench. You can't close a game with him as the stats prove. Quin doesn't even play him at the end of games. The hype surrounding Rubio is baffling when you look at his impact on wins.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#9 » by eLo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

as hell, we get him for smal price after very good season, so now he is worth something like ... non, but to all of those who blame Rubio, throw a name despite Mitchell, that would have some serious positive impact on this team current season
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#10 » by LesGrossman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 am

I agree that he should be traded. Whoever says he is a backup PG is just clueless imho, no offense intended. Guy comes in having a career year, forced into a system that is obviously the worst possible fit, and still plays elite defense but guys are struck on his offensive output. Yes its miserable so has he forgotten how to pass the ball suddenly? Was it the elite talent he was surrounded with in Minnesota for years (most of them dont even play in the NBA any more) that enabled him to dish out assists like he did? Come on guys use your heads. Not addressing the obvious troll here.

There are enough teams in the league that still play a more traditional approach, and succeed with it (at least more so than the Jazz do with their poor mans GSW offense). Also not all PG in such systems are great 3pt shooters. Just look at Pels, who started without a pass first point guard, and when he was ready to play adapted their system to fit him, and play A LOT better since. Snyder doesnt want to go that path - fine - in both parties best interest, call an end to it. But admit that its not one guys fault for not working well in a rigid unflexible system he was thrown in by his coach.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#11 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 am

LesGrossman wrote:I agree that he should be traded. Whoever says he is a backup PG is just clueless imho, no offense intended. Guy comes in having a career year, forced into a system that is obviously the worst possible fit, and still plays elite defense but guys are struck on his offensive output.

This wasn't a troll post, for the record. Go back to the original RR thread and you will note many were pretty high on him becoming a Jazz man based on his last half of the '16-17' season. But this year's RR is really hard to watch most nights. With Ex returning, Neto healthy and DM the best PG on the team he no longer has a role or future with a re-tooling Jazz. Blaming it on Snyder or the "system" isn't legit - the two bonded early and by all accounts they have a good relationship. (This is opposite of the Snyder/Burks relationship it appears). Some other thoughts:

Looking at RR's "career year" last year 11.1 ppg, EFG 0.448 and 9.1 assists and comparing to this year? His simple stats across the board this year are slightly elevated above last year with the exception his 4.7 assists have fallen off a cliff. His shooting and finishing is still really bad for a starting backcourt player, not the post-Allstar break RR of last year. Exum's numbers last year, recovering from injury, look pretty much the same

He probably doesn't have much value in the league if he needs the ball in his hands a lot to get his assists up. The problem with him as a ball dominant PG is other teams don't really feel they need to guard him very hard. And I'd rate his defense as above average but "elite" defender is over-reaching. He is not an elite shut-down defender. Its not a hate thing - just saying he looks like a good backup PG and I think Ex and DM leave him in the dust when it comes to ceilings. No one knew that DM's play was going to make RR an afterthought but it happened so time to move on.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#12 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 am

Mmmm trade a player when his value is all time low......

or wait until he becomes a VERY VALUABLE 15 million EXPIRING.

Tough decisión.

Isnt it?

btw, you should also keep it around if Jazz FO finally hits the trigger on a Mirotic trade.

That pairing could actually bring some life into Rubios and Mirotics Careers and be good for your team.

on other affairs id trade you Ball, Balls dad a pair of balls signed balls a pair of balls dad signed balls and lopezs expiring for Rubio ina heartbeat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#13 » by LesGrossman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:I agree that he should be traded. Whoever says he is a backup PG is just clueless imho, no offense intended. Guy comes in having a career year, forced into a system that is obviously the worst possible fit, and still plays elite defense but guys are struck on his offensive output.

This wasn't a troll post, for the record. Go back to the original RR thread and you will note many were pretty high on him becoming a Jazz man based on his last half of the '16-17' season. But this year's RR is really hard to watch most nights. With Ex returning, Neto healthy and DM the best PG on the team he no longer has a role or future with a re-tooling Jazz. Blaming it on Snyder or the "system" isn't legit - the two bonded early and by all accounts they have a good relationship. (This is opposite of the Snyder/Burks relationship it appears). Some other thoughts:

Looking at RR's "career year" last year 11.1 ppg, EFG 0.448 and 9.1 assists and comparing to this year? His simple stats across the board this year are slightly elevated above last year with the exception his 4.7 assists have fallen off a cliff. His shooting and finishing is still really bad for a starting backcourt player, not the post-Allstar break RR of last year. Exum's numbers last year, recovering from injury, look pretty much the same

He probably doesn't have much value in the league if he needs the ball in his hands a lot to get his assists up. The problem with him as a ball dominant PG is other teams don't really feel they need to guard him very hard. And I'd rate his defense as above average but "elite" defender is over-reaching. He is not an elite shut-down defender. Its not a hate thing - just saying he looks like a good backup PG and I think Ex and DM leave him in the dust when it comes to ceilings. No one knew that DM's play was going to make RR an afterthought but it happened so time to move on.

I wasnt referring to you as the troll but to some guy from Minnesota who comes here for no other purpose than to troll the board and badmouth Rubio. Your comment and analysis is perfectly valid.

As for value and impact, to everyone watching the wolves it was clear that he was a differencemaker, especially on defense. Not everything that happens on the floor is reflected by stats, but thats a different discussion and irrelevant because the end result of your analysis is the same as mine - Rubio needs to be traded badly while the Jazz stick to this role and system (and of course the system, lack of flexibility thereof and therefore Snyder are the primary reasons for Rubios failure).
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I’d say that it’s Rubio’s lack of flexibility that causes the problem, both for the Jazz and any other team that might want to trade for him.

Rubio has a very specific skill set and there aren’t many teams who would be interested in a non threat at the PG position. He’s a PG that needs the ball, but is also a bad shooter and a very poor finisher around the basket. How many teams need that?

I can’t think of one team who would have interest in him. Everyone either has someone better, or someone younger who they hope to be better. He isn’t the long term solution for anyone.

Maybe PHX. He might be a good fit there, but they wouldn’t have interest in trading for him now.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#15 » by Quentin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Les=Rubio apologist.

There is nothing that points to Rubio being a starting point guard on a winning team. Nothing. His best role is a backup.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#16 » by Dry Fly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Rubio probably shouldn't be in the league. There is just too much talent and potential out there that far outweighs his talent which seems to be a thing of the past. A backup PG on a contending team for the vet min? Maybe.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#17 » by sipclip » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Unfortunately Rubio is a worse basketball player now than the day he first stepped on the court for the wolves. That is all you need to know about him. When a player doesn't get any better over 7yrs you either have someone that lacks work ethic or more likely has an average work ethic to go with the average coaching.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#18 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:12 pm

sipclip wrote:Unfortunately Rubio is a worse basketball player now than the day he first stepped on the court for the wolves. That is all you need to know about him. When a player doesn't get any better over 7yrs you either have someone that lacks work ethic or more likely has an average work ethic to go with the average coaching.

That doesn't make sense. He had the best year stats wise last season, last March averaged 17.8 and 10.4. No way he could pull that out as a rookie. He didn't improve a lot, especially skills wise, but it's hard to talk about work ethic when you don't see what's going on behind the scene. Some players just lack natural talent to improve. I once heard that he's a natural lefty who was taught to shoot the ball with right hand. That would explain he's crap shooting and inability to learn. I'm a lefty myself and was to taught to write with my other hand and boy is my hand writing terrible!
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#19 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 pm

As for the topic, Rubio would improve Pelicans over Rondo, mainly defensively, but looking at the list of their mainly terrible contracts, Utah shouldn't touch any of that dross, so a trade with them is unlikely.
sipclip
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#20 » by sipclip » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
sipclip wrote:Unfortunately Rubio is a worse basketball player now than the day he first stepped on the court for the wolves. That is all you need to know about him. When a player doesn't get any better over 7yrs you either have someone that lacks work ethic or more likely has an average work ethic to go with the average coaching.

That doesn't make sense. He had the best year stats wise last season, last March averaged 17.8 and 10.4. No way he could pull that out as a rookie. He didn't improve a lot, especially skills wise, but it's hard to talk about work ethic when you don't see what's going on behind the scene. Some players just lack natural talent to improve. I once heard that he's a natural lefty who was taught to shoot the ball with right hand. That would explain he's crap shooting and inability to learn. I'm a lefty myself and was to taught to write with my other hand and boy is my hand writing terrible!

No. When Rubio came into the league he had an immediate positive impact for the wolves and played with a confidence that he has never shown again since tearing his ACL. He may have put up bigger numbers for stretches but that was when he was at his best. The same thing goes for his international play. He played the best ball of his career internationally when he was under 20. He had a confidence back then that he simply hasn't ever shown again after tearing his acl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz