Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Re: RE: Re: Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#21 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:00 am

sipclip wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
sipclip wrote:Unfortunately Rubio is a worse basketball player now than the day he first stepped on the court for the wolves. That is all you need to know about him. When a player doesn't get any better over 7yrs you either have someone that lacks work ethic or more likely has an average work ethic to go with the average coaching.

That doesn't make sense. He had the best year stats wise last season, last March averaged 17.8 and 10.4. No way he could pull that out as a rookie. He didn't improve a lot, especially skills wise, but it's hard to talk about work ethic when you don't see what's going on behind the scene. Some players just lack natural talent to improve. I once heard that he's a natural lefty who was taught to shoot the ball with right hand. That would explain he's crap shooting and inability to learn. I'm a lefty myself and was to taught to write with my other hand and boy is my hand writing terrible!

No. When Rubio came into the league he had an immediate positive impact for the wolves and played with a confidence that he has never shown again since tearing his ACL. He may have put up bigger numbers for stretches but that was when he was at his best. The same thing goes for his international play. He played the best ball of his career internationally when he was under 20. He had a confidence back then that he simply hasn't ever shown again after tearing his acl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

You still don't make any sense.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#22 » by Quentin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 am

Pass_the_rock wrote:
That doesn't make sense. He had the best year stats wise last season, last March averaged 17.8 and 10.4. No way he could pull that out as a rookie.

What? First of all, cherry pick much? He had a little run, so what? I just reviewed his career stats, the correct answer is he hasn't improved. Check his FG% through the years. Yikes. Especially 3 pt percent. Everything looks steady. Which is crappy.

A lot of Rubio fans think he's an elite passer, yet he has never averaged over 10 assists a game. For a guy who does nothing BUT pass, this is outrageous. Completely overrated point guard.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#23 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 am

Pass_the_rock wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
That doesn't make sense. He had the best year stats wise last season, last March averaged 17.8 and 10.4. No way he could pull that out as a rookie. He didn't improve a lot, especially skills wise, but it's hard to talk about work ethic when you don't see what's going on behind the scene. Some players just lack natural talent to improve. I once heard that he's a natural lefty who was taught to shoot the ball with right hand. That would explain he's crap shooting and inability to learn. I'm a lefty myself and was to taught to write with my other hand and boy is my hand writing terrible!

No. When Rubio came into the league he had an immediate positive impact for the wolves and played with a confidence that he has never shown again since tearing his ACL. He may have put up bigger numbers for stretches but that was when he was at his best. The same thing goes for his international play. He played the best ball of his career internationally when he was under 20. He had a confidence back then that he simply hasn't ever shown again after tearing his acl.

You still don't make any sense.

I make plenty of sense to people that actually remember how Rubio looked as a rookie and in international play prior to him joining the NBA. He has never been the same caliber of player after tearing his acl.

KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Re: Is Ricky Rubio tradable? 

Post#24 » by KDBG » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am

Ricky is the type of player that needs the ball in his hands, and the offense designed for him. The problem is, he's just not good enough to warrant that in the NBA. He either needs to accept a bench role playing 15-20 minutes a game, or go be a star in Europe.

This is still the most annoying thing about the Jazz organization. They are almost too loyal and nice. They delay the inevitable, which hurts the team in the process. I'm tired of watching Mitchell not touching the ball starting games because Rubio is chucking ugly ass shots. Mitchell is our present and future. Let him do his thing.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#25 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

I don't have numbers for this but it seems to me that Rubio's shot is better when someone is closing out on him which makes him arch the ball more. When he is wide open he shoots a very flat shot which decreases its chances of being made.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#26 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 am

dr0welf wrote:I don't have numbers for this but it seems to me that Rubio's shot is better when someone is closing out on him which makes him arch the ball more. When he is wide open he shoots a very flat shot which decreases its chances of being made.

Wolves once brought a praised shot doctor in who worked with him; his shot completely changed for a while until taht guy was let go at which point the shot regressed quickly. Bottom line: he can still work on it in the right environment, but really its not as important as some make it out to be. Outside NBA2k on the playstation, scoring ability isnt the only thing that makes a player great or useful.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#27 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:57 am

LesGrossman wrote:
dr0welf wrote:I don't have numbers for this but it seems to me that Rubio's shot is better when someone is closing out on him which makes him arch the ball more. When he is wide open he shoots a very flat shot which decreases its chances of being made.

Wolves once brought a praised shot doctor in who worked with him; his shot completely changed for a while until taht guy was let go at which point the shot regressed quickly. Bottom line: he can still work on it in the right environment, but really its not as important as some make it out to be. Outside NBA2k on the playstation, scoring ability isnt the only thing that makes a player great or useful.

I am fine with Rubio, I just see room for improvement if he wanted to focus on it. I want him to be as good as possible to push Exum when he gets back. The better the competition the better Exum will be.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#28 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 am

LesGrossman wrote:

Actually it is as important as we are making it out to be. If you are a of then you have to be able to shoot in this league at a decent rate or you need to be on another level athletically.

LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#29 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:20 am

sipclip wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

Actually it is as important as we are making it out to be. If you are a of then you have to be able to shoot in this league at a decent rate or you need to be on another level athletically.

Thats just an opinion, you shouldnt write that like it was a fact. There are enough examples of valuable players who dont hit 3's.

In reality its not really rocket science. Whenever Rubio has the ball in hands he will draw not one but multiple defenders on penetration and then kick out. Whenever he is used as 3pt corner shooter the defense will sag off. Its just stubborn to continue to play this. Get rid of him or just let him create off pick and roll for his team mates. This game is a good example, look at it in slow motion.

And again, you completely seem to miss that tehre are two side to the game.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#30 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:22 am

Rubio is an above average defender and that is what has kept him as a starter. If he could fix some of the holes in his game he would be solid.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#31 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 am

LesGrossman wrote:
sipclip wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Wolves once brought a praised shot doctor in who worked with him; his shot completely changed for a while until taht guy was let go at which point the shot regressed quickly. Bottom line: he can still work on it in the right environment, but really its not as important as some make it out to be. Outside NBA2k on the playstation, scoring ability isnt the only thing that makes a player great or useful.

Thats just an opinion, you shouldnt write that like it was a fact. There are enough examples of valuable players who dont hit 3's.

In reality its not really rocket science. Whenever Rubio has the ball in hands he will draw not one but multiple defenders on penetration and then kick out. Whenever he is used as 3pt corner shooter the defense will sag off. Its just stubborn to continue to play this. Get rid of him or just let him create off pick and roll for his team mates. This game is a good example, look at it in slow motion.

Your love affair with Rubio is nuts. Are you one of his family members?

Yes it is a fact that if you aren't athletic enough to impact the game in other ways then you better be able to shoot the ball. As far as the other side of the ball goes Rubio is average on that end of the court. Nothing special by any means.

LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#32 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 am

sipclip wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
sipclip wrote:Actually it is as important as we are making it out to be. If you are a of then you have to be able to shoot in this league at a decent rate or you need to be on another level athletically.

Yes it is a fact that if you aren't athletic enough to impact the game in other ways then you better be able to shoot the ball. As far as the other side of the ball goes Rubio is average on that end of the court. Nothing special by any means.

OK mate :lol: to sum it up, everything you say is a fact, while everything i say is a "love affair". There never was a pg in the NBA who coulndt consistently hit 3's and / or jump like Spida. I can see your knowledge is just superior! Thx for educating.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#33 » by PharmD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:28 am

KDBG wrote:Ricky is the type of player that needs the ball in his hands, and the offense designed for him. The problem is, he's just not good enough to warrant that in the NBA.

Yeah, this is basically right. Like he could run the show on a terrible team and lead them to a few more wins and it'd be super fun to watch but those teams are better off winning 20 games than 30 games so what's the point?
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#34 » by stitches » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:30 am

This is the classic case of "It's not you, it's me" separation that needs to happen. Ricky is doomed in this system and with those lineups.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#35 » by Quentin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 pm

sipclip wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
sipclip wrote:Actually it is as important as we are making it out to be. If you are a of then you have to be able to shoot in this league at a decent rate or you need to be on another level athletically.

It is nuts. Les is the biggest Rubio apologist I think I've ever seen. He is never at fault and is a hall of fame point guard if only his coach and teammates were better. :lol:
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#36 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Everyone on this team has been under performing. I believe this has to do with being asked to do more then they are comfortable with. Ingles is down because he is being asked to play a lot more minutes then ever before, his legs are just not their. The injuries have caused tons of issues and forced the players to be utilized in different ways. Unfortunately it makes their warts in their game stand out more. Getting everyone back healthy will help some.

Rubio is who he is, but he is not to blame completely for our losses. This is a team issue.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#37 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

stitches wrote:This is the classic case of "It's not you, it's me" separation that needs to happen. Ricky is doomed in this system and with those lineups.

I think Ricky would be a great back up point guard to EX. After alstar break. Wait watch and see. Won't take long and Exum will be our starter.

Return to Utah Jazz