How good can Gobert become?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

How good can Gobert become? 

Post#1 » by KDBG » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Is he just destined to be our defensive anchor? Or can he become more than that?

I keep going back and forth with this. The reason I have small hope that he could actually become a consistently effective offensive threat, is that he has that rare trait that Mitchell has of getting rapidly better at skills that he never had previously. Remember just a little over a season ago, he was a liability on offense because he had Ostertag hands? It was that bad. Then like a month later he was catching one handed lobs and euro stepping dudes.

What do you guys think? Just to remind people again, he did average 17/13/3 on 70% shooting post all-star break last season. In the modern NBA, those are beastly numbers for a true big. He needs that space though. You put him in a lineup with Mirotic/Ingles/Hood, and Mitchell running the point, he may put up numbers like that again.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: How good can Gobert become? 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 pm

I have always said that if he got a skyhook he would be a legit top 7 player.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#3 » by sipclip » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 pm

He has already shown to be a consistent offensive threat. Hell even to start this season when he was healthy but stuck with Favors and Rubio in the starting lineup with no spacing he was still very effective offensively. The 2nd half of last season he was unbelievable offensively. When you have a roll player that can finish around the rim like Gobert it is an incredible weapon because he garners so much attention. The problem this year is that teams can pack the paint to stop the roll man because they aren't concerned about Rubio or Favors hitting a jumper.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#4 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 am

Oops, accidentally started another Rudy thread. Mine was a "Rudy Watch" so this one is a bit different. I think his ceiling is a 20-10 guy and perennial DPY.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley

Return to Utah Jazz