Ricky Rubio Appreciation Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Re: Ricky Rubio Appreciation Thread 

Post#81 » by Feilong » Mon Apr 2, 2018 7:03 pm

Hikari wrote:Anyone have a summary of the article on Rubio from theathletic.com? it's a paid site and I dont want to pay for one article. I guess Rubio asked for a trade from Minny. The owners didn't want to until Rubio talked to them.

At the beginning 2:30

https://www.lockedonjazz.net/nba/rubios-revenge-game-jazz-defense-of-favors-and-gobert-playing-with-bounce/
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#82 » by Luigi » Wed Apr 4, 2018 2:10 am

We can't lose when this guy's shot is on.

He does everything else so well. But he's been scoring at a dangerous pace lately, which makes us extremely hard to beat.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#83 » by dautjazz » Wed Apr 4, 2018 4:20 am

:love:
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#84 » by BudTugly » Wed Apr 4, 2018 12:48 pm

Feilong wrote:
Hikari wrote:Anyone have a summary of the article on Rubio from theathletic.com? it's a paid site and I dont want to pay for one article. I guess Rubio asked for a trade from Minny. The owners didn't want to until Rubio talked to them.

At the beginning 2:30

https://www.lockedonjazz.net/nba/rubios-revenge-game-jazz-defense-of-favors-and-gobert-playing-with-bounce/

LMAO! Those girls are so mean!! Best insider stuff ever from Locke
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#85 » by PharmD » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:30 pm

I liked this one

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#86 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:01 am

There was a time earlier this season when Rubio wasn't even in the game at the very end of games. Then he started finishing games, but the Jazz were wasting some of his talents by completely ignoring Rubio on offense --- not even having him bring the ball up the floor to initiate the offense. But we continue to make progress. I went back and checked who brought the ball up the floor during the last five minutes of the game against the Lakers: Rubio four times and DM four times. DM even gave up the ball to Rubio once after getting the inbound pass. Rubio's teammates, including DM, and the coaches I guess, are getting more comforatable having Rubio handle the ball late in games. Imo, there is no reason they shouldn't be comfortable with that. He does an excellent job.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#87 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 2:55 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:There was a time earlier this season when Rubio wasn't even in the game at the very end of games. Then he started finishing games, but the Jazz were wasting some of his talents by completely ignoring Rubio on offense --- not even having him bring the ball up the floor. But we continue to make progress. I went back and checked who brought the ball up the floor during the last five minutes of the game last night against the Lakers: Rubio four times and DM four times. DM even gave up the ball to Rubio once after getting the inbound pass. Rubio's teammates, including DM, and the coaches I guess, are getting more comforatable having Rubio handle the ball late in games. Imo, there is no reason they shouldn't be comfortable with that. He does an excellent job.

I think this is a case of a player taking awhile to adjust/get comfortable with a new team and home. RR was asked to play very differently than he was in Minny. Kudos to the Jazz coaching staff for patiently forcing him and to grow into what the Jazz wanted from their PG. It wasn't pretty there for awhile, but it looks like the transition is complete and Ricky is playing the best ball of his career - and very confident about it! He is kind of a testimony to the whole Jazz season so far. From deep suffering/crappy basketball, not giving up, working to get better. Rubio, Ingles, Rudy having career years, two rookies getting meaningful minutes. The only player who really didn't take a step forward was poor Alec.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#88 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:49 pm

I’ve never been so happy to be so wrong about a player. I should have known as I trust our development staff. I guess I vastly underestimated the complexity of Quins system. Plus I really think Rubio signs a team friendly deal as he is finally in a winning situation with a coach who believes in him. I think we can resign him this offseason.

Depending on how the playoffs go we might use our cap space to grab a couple good bench players and put them on team option contracts and then resign Favs, Rubio, and Exum to new deals and be done with free agency.

It would be a little underwhelming to some, but if the Jazz team as currently constructed make it to the second round and give a good fight I can see them being a much, much better team with basically the same roster (assuming health). They would be the 3 seed if Gobert had stayed healthy. And if we can get a few good offensive bench pieces who can play adequate defense the the team could be much better. An increase of 2-3 PPG and keeping the defense over the course of a year would make the team much better. That seems doable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
no dice
Rookie
And1: 731

Post#89 » by no dice » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:10 pm

Raptors fan here. Rubio is unreal. I loved him in the first 3 yrs but he kinda faded off and took a lot of the crap. Now he is playing like a Steve Nash and makes the game fun again.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#90 » by BudTugly » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:17 pm

Ricky’s story shows the human element of the sport. There is more than one meaning for fit. Rubio fits the culture and attitude perfectly.
Danish Wolf
Freshman
And1: 72

Post#91 » by Danish Wolf » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:52 am

Any new information on the hamstring injury?
PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Post#92 » by PerFex » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:17 pm

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#93 » by El Hespiritu » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:26 pm

From my biased fanboy point of view, TheGoldenBoy has been a bit underrated in these last years at spanish and catalan media.

Looks like this is about to change:

Read on Twitter

(this one inspired me for one of my crappy-choppings)

Read on Twitter

"You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain"
"I Am What Utah Needs Me To Be.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#94 » by LesGrossman » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:58 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:From my biased fanboy point of view, TheGoldenBoy has been a bit underrated in these last years at spanish and catalan media.

Looks like this is about to change:

Read on Twitter

(this one inspired me for one of my crappy-choppings)

Read on Twitter

"You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain"
"I Am What Utah Needs Me To Be.

I was thinking the other day what the national team thinks of this new version of Ricky, and who would be the better PG out of their pool. I cant see one.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#95 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:53 am

LesGrossman wrote:I was thinking the other day what the national team thinks of this new version of Ricky, and who would be the better PG out of their pool. I cant see one.
About your first thought, he has been always far more appreciated by his different national teammates and coaching staffs than he is between professional or amateur "anal yzers". I guess they are less surprised of his current level.
For instance: His former Badalona and FcBarça coach (and spanish national team's coach) Aíto García Reneses once said:

When I read "Rubio can't shoot", I smile. He was often my best scorer as a juvenile (let's say High-School Badalona team) and he dropped some +50pts games. He just always enjoyed passing the more and didn't care about his personal stats.

About the second one, me neither.
Calderón, Sergio Rodríguez and Llull are great players but I just don't see them in the starting PG role, as Sergio Scariolo didn't see it.
There are some talented young guys. We'll see how they will grow up and how RR ages.

I'm not expecting a major change, not in the next years.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#96 » by LesGrossman » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:43 am

El Hespiritu wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:I was thinking the other day what the national team thinks of this new version of Ricky, and who would be the better PG out of their pool. I cant see one.
About your first thought, he has been always far more appreciated by his different national teammates and coaching staffs than he is between professional or amateur "anal yzers". I guess they are less surprised of his current level.
For instance: His former Badalona and FcBarça coach (and spanish national team's coach) Aíto García Reneses once said:

When I read "Rubio can't shoot", I smile. He was often my best scorer as a juvenile (let's say High-School Badalona team) and he dropped some +50pts games. He just always enjoyed passing the more and didn't care about his personal stats.

About the second one, me neither.
Calderón, Sergio Rodríguez and Llull are great players but I just don't see them in the starting PG role, as Sergio Scariolo didn't see it.
There are some talented young guys. We'll see how they will grow up and how RR ages.

I'm not expecting a major change, not in the next years.

But didnt Rodriguez get more usage than Ricky lately?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#97 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:58 am

LesGrossman wrote:didnt Rodriguez get more usage than Ricky lately?
In terms of shooting/driving per minute, yes; El Chacho executes more and more often and he likes running shorter possessions.

In terms of minutes per game, he doesn't. He normally plays with the 2nd unit and, at times, sharing court with TheGoldenBoy in a double-combo system (Llull spots the starting SG in that system).
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#98 » by PharmD » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:43 am

Sam Mitchell with some very kind words on Ricky and the Jazz

BudTugly
Veteran

Post#99 » by BudTugly » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:02 am

PharmD wrote:Sam Mitchell with some very kind words on Ricky and the Jazz

I love Sam Mitchell. He’s just an avalanche of mealy mouthed repetitive ongoing verbiage. That dude can talk all day long. But what he says here is absolutely spot on and he identifies why Ricky is finding success and why the team has transformed from the “loss” of G n Hill.

This team is a true team. There are no non rowers here, and the boat will sail on.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#100 » by Dual » Mon Apr 9, 2018 10:42 am

What Ricky achieved yesterday is so great for us(Ricky fans), after all the hype when he arrived to the league, the injuries, the years with losing records, the coaches using him the wrong way.
This is so incredible.
Thanks to Utah organization and Snyder for believe in him, you make me so happy right now, Ricky deserve it.

Return to Utah Jazz