Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Re: Hi Dante, welcome back 

Post#201 » by CallMeKahn » Mon Apr 2, 2018 1:24 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
tleikheen wrote:
Favors is likely going to leave in 6 games + playoffs though, which might be a portent to Exum's situation in the near future. Favors could be utilized better elsewhere in a different role, and so could Exum.

There's no way in hell Crowder is better than Favors......I listened to Locke and Boone broadcasting the Memphis game and Boone let it slip that Crowder was ground bound on his layups and Locke who has a b*ner for Crowder had to say that it's been seen that Crowder doesn't have the lift from his Boston days. This goes that Crowder is under 40% from the field and shooting 32% from 3pt.

Now I'm of belief that Exum has a way higher ceiling than Rubio and can right now surpass Rubio's pt production and assists, while giving equal defensive pressure.

Jazz, while Favors and Gobert have learned how to play together are likely seeing the end of their run together. We might not even get to see what Exum and Mitchell can truly do together as Snyder looks at Rubio and Mitchell as his backcourt of preference.
The pattern of less athletic players being 1st choice for Snyder over the more gifted players is a recipe for making the playoffs but not excelling when in the playoffs. We might be seeing Exum for his last time as well if a few other teams make a serious run at him this offseason.

Jazz have the money to resign both if they choose to. Favs has said he would like to stay if the money is right so the jazz didn't trade him in hopes of working it out. Jazz will let market value say what they need to pay. And I believe they'll match anything on the table. Jazz aren't in the market to groom players they like for other teams. Good playoffs off for Ex jazz will match. Not worry about coming and going. Trust in DL to be smart about it.

He'll need to be, but I trust him to be just that. As this team is 25-5 while being relatively healthy (minus Thabo, damn it) with some tough stretches, you're ideal off-season should be keeping who you have. I doubt Dante gets a huge offer given his injury history, but if he can be healthy in the future, Utah is golden at the PG spot. I'm more worried about Favors. He's been a part and parcel of this team since the dark ages of Corbin. He, Rudy, and Quin figured something out to make it all work, so you keep that going. But you don't break the bank to do it. But same as with Exum, I don't think the market is favorable to Favors. If I'm DL, I give him a solid enough deal to give him a raise while keeping flexibility (can be done).

Decisions, decisions.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
LEO MESSI
Junior
And1: 260

Post#202 » by LEO MESSI » Mon Apr 2, 2018 1:27 pm

it's going to be interesting to see the direction the Jazz take this summer with Dante.

I think is pretty clear that Rubio is no backup for anyone in this league but i understand if Dante wants to be a starter too next season.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#203 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 1:32 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Noticeable change in how Exum was used to tonight vs the Wolves. Unlike previous games where he was played mainly off the ball, tonight he was used as the primary ball handler and actually got to run the offense, and the results were great. This is how he should be used imho.

Dante is transforming the bench from a lousy bench to a very competitive bench. And unless O'Neale or Crowder have a clear shot ahead of the defense to the basket, they should be looking to get the ball in to Exum's hands every time to bring the ball up the floor. Likewise, Rubio should be bringing the ball up the floor when he is in the game.

A couple more shots by Exum and a couple less forced shots by Crowder makes a big difference for our bench. Harpring keeps saying we got the Boston Jae Crowder, but I can't find any stats that support Harpring's contention. Crowder's shooting percentages with the Jazz are worse than they were for his time at Cleveland and not even close to Boston. I am hopeful that with Exum directing the bench offense and stepping up to take some of the offensive load, that Crowder will be a beneficiary by becoming more efficient. I like Crowder, but asking him to be a Rodney Hood or Lou Williams type player for the bench is too much to ask. Go Jazz!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#204 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:10 pm

The most impressive part is that he has turned a bench unit, which was horrible before he returned, into a very positive unit.

Quin needs to find more minutes. Even if that means *gasp* playing next Rubio and not being the nominal PG.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#205 » by zero24gravity » Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:51 pm

Shut him down! All he's doing is raising the number of suitors and increasing what he'll be offered! Come on Jazz, what are you thinking??? You want to win now above other things??? Crazy! :) :P :D
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#206 » by stitches » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#207 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:27 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great stats, but we need to roll out the usual "small sample" warning. That's usually your job, isn't it? :lol: Also, Exum's doing it mostly against bench units. He frustrated Aaron Brooks so much last night that it looks like Brooks may have intentionally given him a knee to the head. That said, Exum looks like he might be able to blow by just about anyone out there.

Don't forget Rubio. They are both shooting .400 from three since the All Star break. :D
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#208 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:30 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Shut him down! All he's doing is raising the number of suitors and increasing what he'll be offered! Come on Jazz, what are you thinking??? You want to win now above other things??? Crazy! :) :P :D

We should have traded for Shelvin Mack before the deadline...
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
stitches
RealGM

Post#209 » by stitches » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:10 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great stats, but we need to roll out the usual "small sample" warning. That's usually your job, isn't it? :lol: Also, Exum's doing it mostly against bench units. He frustrated Aaron Brooks so much last night that it looks like Brooks may have intentionally given him a knee to the head. That said, Exum looks like he might be able to blow by just about anyone out there.

Don't forget Rubio. They are both shooting .400 from three since the All Star break. :D

I should probably include "^small sample size but" in my signature...
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#210 » by erudite23 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:11 pm

This is pretty cool. It's impossible to know where this is headed, but it's legitimately great to see Dante finally playing like the dude we all imagined he could be. Who knows how far he takes it, but for right now Ima just soak it all in and enjoy.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#211 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:15 pm

It’s a small sample size, but it’s also the whole sample. What it does show is just how good he’s been so far. He’s like a mini Giannis out there.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#212 » by sipclip » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:18 pm

Dante has been damn impressive so far it is pretty crazy since he was out for so long. The idea of he and Mitchell in the backcourt long term is pretty damn exciting. Hell there are plenty of minutes to continue with the Mitchell, Exum and Rubio trio long term as long as one of them is okay with coming off the bench. You can still get 30 minutes a game off the bench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#213 » by stitches » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:19 pm

KqWIN wrote:It’s a small sample size, but it’s also the whole sample. What it does show is just how good he’s been so far. He’s like a mini Giannis out there.

I was comparing his flashes to Giannis in preseason but people thought I was insane. I might still be insane, but some of the things he does are so reminiscent of some of the things Giannis was doing in year 1 and year 2.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#214 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:40 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:It’s a small sample size, but it’s also the whole sample. What it does show is just how good he’s been so far. He’s like a mini Giannis out there.

I was comparing his flashes to Giannis in preseason but people thought I was insane. I might still be insane, but some of the things he does are so reminiscent of some of the things Giannis was doing in year 1 and year 2.

We’re both insane, because I’m seeing it now. Even when guys are backing off of him he’s getting to the hoop and finishing. He’s gotten so good around the rim too. Both sides of the basket, off of both feet, and he even made a lefty floater. That’s some serious skill development right there.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#215 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 6:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

We’re both insane, because I’m seeing it now. Even when guys are backing off of him he’s getting to the hoop and finishing. He’s gotten so good around the rim too. Both sides of the basket, off of both feet, and he even made a lefty floater. That’s some serious skill development right there.

Remember his first year and we were pulling our hair out because he didn't take it the rack very often? Goes to show what a serious amount of work he has put in when he was out of the spotlight. I'm especially impressed with how crisp his passing has become and I don't worry about his handle anymore!
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#216 » by tleikheen » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:14 am

Minutes and more minutes is all that's needed for Exum......this crap about messing up the chemistry of the Jazz players playing for the playoffs is junk .As of now ,when Exum is playing the Jazz are outscoring the opponent by 17 pts per 100 possessions.

By now most here have seen on League Pass the energy rises with Exum playing and witness the explosion to the basket for easy baskets by Exum. There should be no more 9 minutes "only" games like at Boston where we watch the Jazz lose and Exum puts in 8 pts in those 9 minutes. He is making points and passing off for easy buckets every time he is playing now.

Exum is ready for 25/30 minutes a game now if the Jazz hope to surprise the NBA world during the playoffs. Jazz have all the defense a winning team needs but it can't be said the same for their offense . Jazz need Exum to get them points .Will Snyder embrace the X NOW or fail to understand Jazz defense is not taking them all the way to the championship.
stitches
RealGM

Post#217 » by stitches » Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:21 am

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#218 » by stitches » Tue Apr 3, 2018 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#219 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:09 pm

I am thrilled that Dante is coming on strong like this, but I disagree with this narrative floating around here by some people that poor old Dante has been given bum treatment by the Jazz organization. Dante was afforded the opportunity to start as a rookie when he was easily the worst starting guard in the NBA.

Then he missed an entire year due to injury, and when he came back last season, I don't think he was 100%. There wasn't anything very good about his game. His defense, which was usually against the other teams' bench unit, wasn't even as good as his defense was his rookie year playing against starters. His offense still stunk. He had a problem on drives to the basket, where unless he had a clear shot all the way to the basket, he often didn't finish, because he jumped away from contact and the basket at the last moment, turning the shot in to a more difficult fall away shot. But he still got 18mpg to play lousy basketball.

Now Dante is bigger and stronger and he isn't afraid of contact. He drove one right up the middle in to tall timber a couple of games ago and finished. He is drawing fouls at more than 2.5 times the rate he did last year. He's in the scrum for rebounds.

Dante deserves a ton of credit for overcoming his injuries, developing an NBA body and a NBA game, and the Jazz coaching, training and development staff deserve credit for giving this raw talent the tools and direction to succeed. This is really only the start of his third season, which career so far has seen major injury interruptions along the way, and people are seriously complaining that the Jazz organization didn't bring him along fast enough or give him enough opportunity? That's bullcrap imo.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#220 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:05 pm

Yeah, I’m not buying the Dante got screwed argument either. I don’t see how a player who was injured multiple times and was having trouble developing was screwed. I think the numbers need to show a player was easily better than the person they should be replacing and even then sometimes there is noise in that type of argument. Udoh (last I saw) had fantastic numbers this season. One could argue he is being screwed in mins. But he has played against a lot of second units and semi garbage time. Do we really think he deserves more time than Favs? Who was getting mins over Dante that he was clearly better than?

If the argument is a young players deserves time on the floor I don’t buy that argument. They have to earn it. Yes, some players get longer leashes than others but from what I have seen that is usually related to defensive assignments with Quin. That’s something that a player despite their shortcomings can do. If a player won’t keep their defensive assignment they need to be pulled and explained what they are doing wrong. I don’t see DM making a lot of defensive mistakes. I see him being overly aggressive on offense, which is why his leash is longer than Dante’s who was making defensive mistakes. Plus we need DM’s aggressiveness. I think this season Dante would have had a much longer leash as well to make mistakes. Off all the seasons to miss this was the worst IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Utah Jazz