Hi Dante, welcome back

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Re: Hi Dante, welcome back 

Post#221 » by BudTugly » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:22 pm

Like those little floaters. Those will eventually extend out another couple feet.

The next thing I’m looking for will be better chemistry on designed cuts. When his man cheats off Dante should be on the rim before the opponents even know he’s cutting. Could be a strong weapon.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#222 » by KqWIN » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:23 pm

The good thing is that he is earning it now. There’s no question about that. It’s going to be interesting to see how Quin gets Exum some more minutes. On Sunday he was given all the minutes that Rubio was out, which would amount to about 18 a game.

I think he deserves 6-8 more minutes that would have to come on the wing, but that also means he’ll be playing 12 minutes straight unless Quin wants to fanagle the rotation more. Rubio’s played almost exclusively with Gobert in two stints per half and that’s worked better than when he was playing three stints.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#223 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:13 pm

KqWIN wrote:The good thing is that he is earning it now. There’s no question about that. It’s going to be interesting to see how Quin gets Exum some more minutes. On Sunday he was given all the minutes that Rubio was out, which would amount to about 18 a game.

I think he deserves 6-8 more minutes that would have to come on the wing, but that also means he’ll be playing 12 minutes straight unless Quin wants to fanagle the rotation more. Rubio’s played almost exclusively with Gobert in two stints per half and that’s worked better than when he was playing three stints.

144 mins between Rubio, DM, Ingles, Dante, Royce, and a few left over for Crowder at the 3. Take out 10 mins for Crowder(which if Dante is playing as well as he has been might need to be reduced). That’s 134 mins. Play Royce 18 mins. 116 mins. That’s 29 mins between the rest of Rubio, DM, Ingles, and Dante. Just play whoever is hot more mins. Seems like getting Dante time shouldn’t be that hard. Easily he should be playing 20 mins a game. We also need to get guys a little rest for the playoffs. And I like that Dante is an unknown going into the playoffs. Makes it hard to scout our team to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#224 » by erudite23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:07 pm

I don't think there's any rush to get Dante's minutes up too high. Let's get him to 20ish per game and see how he handles it. Gotta be careful not to be too disruptive with a team that's been winning 80%+ of their games for the last 2.5 months.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#225 » by Hoops Addict » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:37 am

Nice game for Dante.......looks completely different with attacking the hoop.

The 21 point game is the breakout game?
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#226 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:17 am

Nice block Ex on the 7.3 center...Ex can get to the hole at will. Great minutes from Jonas.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#227 » by BudTugly » Fri Apr 6, 2018 5:55 am

Dante looks ready for serious business. Which is amazing since all the other PGs are F’d.

I gotta be ready to eat some crow soon since I was not a believer. What Dante is doing will translate to playoff games because he can avoid blocks with an early release, a baby floater if you will. He is so long those look like layups. But they aren’t.

Dante is also taking better care of the ball and has been much less prone to bulling his way into dumb situations. On top of all that, he’s making perimeter shots. The defense has always been there, and the hustle.

Dude has been lights out and not afraid to hit the deck. I’m glad to say it looks like I was wrong and also his upcoming extension will be much more costly if he keeps balling in the post season. The Jazz might have to decide between Dante, Favors, and luxury tax.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#228 » by Dual » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm impressed by Dante, sky is the limit for this kid.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#229 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:24 pm

Exum just got positive coverage from Zach Lowe in this week's "Ten Things I Like and Don't Like":

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23044990/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-nikola-jokic-dimes-nba

Snip: "In the NBA, defenses close seams in a flash. The new Exum is diving through them like Indiana Jones ducking under a lowering wall (without the hat grab)."
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,005

Post#230 » by German Athens » Fri Apr 6, 2018 8:02 pm

Would you have any interest in a dual sign and trade: jabari parker for dante? I can't think of a better team for jabari to play for.
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by erudite23 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 9:36 pm

German Athens wrote:Would you have any interest in a dual sign and trade: jabari parker for dante? I can't think of a better team for jabari to play for.

Even though this would never happen I would definitely consider it. I've always loved Jabari and both dude have similar values and concerns. I like it because Jabari is a better shooter than Ex is right now and we need more spacing in general, plus we need a star caliber wing to pair with Donovan. Why would Milwaukee want to do this?
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#232 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 9:57 pm

erudite23 wrote:
German Athens wrote:Would you have any interest in a dual sign and trade: jabari parker for dante? I can't think of a better team for jabari to play for.

Even though this would never happen I would definitely consider it. I've always loved Jabari and both dude have similar values and concerns. I like it because Jabari is a better shooter than Ex is right now and we need more spacing in general, plus we need a star caliber wing to pair with Donovan. Why would Milwaukee want to do this?

Heck no. Jabari is looking for max money while DM could sign as cheaply at a one year qualifying offer of around $6 million and pundits suggest he could be worth up to $9-10 million/year over 3 years with either a player or team option on the third. If Jabari stays healthy he likely has a higher ceiling than Dante but not double Dante's salary higher ceiling. Plus, while I don't watch the Bucks much he isn't exactly killing it since his return whereas Dante is showing excellent progression. I don't remotely think the Jazz are giving up on Dante. The Mitchell/Rubio/Ex back court is going to be relatively cheap and really good for several years.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#233 » by zero24gravity » Fri Apr 6, 2018 11:05 pm

No thanks. Jabari and his injuries can be someone else's (huge) problem when he's in street clothes with a max(ish) contract.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,005

Post#234 » by German Athens » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:38 am

erudite23 wrote:

1. I don't think jabari will be getting the max, there are just a few teams who could offer it and i doubt they will. I'd guess anywhere from 15-18 per.
2. To answer your question, it mostly comes down to positional overlap. We already have middleton and giannis, and even if the bucks get rid of midds jabari still isn't the best fit. I think the bucks need higher iq guards and exum could be that.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#235 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:58 am

Rather just keep Dante and put a two year max on the table for Jabari.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#236 » by erudite23 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:52 am

German Athens wrote:
erudite23 wrote:

1. I don't think jabari will be getting the max, there are just a few teams who could offer it and i doubt they will. I'd guess anywhere from 15-18 per.
2. To answer your question, it mostly comes down to positional overlap. We already have middleton and giannis, and even if the bucks get rid of midds jabari still isn't the best fit. I think the bucks need higher iq guards and exum could be that.

Makes sense. Just not ideal to have Exum and Giannis on the court at the same time. Ex plays smart, but I'm not sure he'll ever be more than an average shooter and that might even be too much to ask. You could make it work, but it's not the perfect pairing. Part of the problem for Dante is he pretty clearly needs the ball in his hands a lot to be at his best, but it's unclear at how high a level he can do that.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#237 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Exum's stats have come back down to earth in the last five games. I think he is going to be good, but his quick, dominating start after missing nearly the entire season was probably a little too good to be true and too good to sustain. There is plenty of time; this is really just the beginning of Exum's third season.

Exum's last five games from ESPN stat page:
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#238 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Dante has gone from great to bad pretty quickly. Hopefully he can find that middle ground just as quickly. If he doesn't then this series is going to end quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#239 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:29 pm

What concerns me is that he is showing that loose handle again and his shooting looks horrible (and has been horrible). You think that would have improved over the past however many months he has been able to nothing but shoot. He still has that speed and length, though, and if he can get those other aspects of his game to even an average level he will be worth a new contract. In a way, it benefits the Jazz in retaining him this summer at a reasonable deal.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#240 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

He needs to add other moves besides right hand dribble.

Return to Utah Jazz