Hi Dante, welcome back

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Re: Hi Dante, welcome back 

Post#241 » by BudTugly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 pm

They are going to have to get him signed as an unfinished product. I have no problem continuing his development. Never heard anything negative about his work ethic.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#242 » by Winglish » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 am

Dante Exum finished the season with the 3rd highest turnover percentage in the NBA.

He MUST take better care of the ball, fellas! He just HAS TO!

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#243 » by KqWIN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Winglish wrote:Dante Exum finished the season with the 3rd highest turnover percentage in the NBA.

Dante needs to take care of the ball, but I don’t think that number is true considering that there are 3 Jazz players with a higher turnover percentage than Dante.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: RE: Re: Hi Dante, welcome back 

Post#244 » by Winglish » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Winglish wrote:Dante Exum finished the season with the 3rd highest turnover percentage in the NBA.

Dante needs to take care of the ball, but I don’t think that number is true considering that there are 3 Jazz players with a higher turnover percentage than Dante.
I saw it on the NBA website yesterday.

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#245 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am

Winglish wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Yes, I see it on this NBA.com page below. Scroll down to bottom to Turnover Percentage. But this NBA.com page is misleading because it doesn't bother to specify on the page anywhere that these stats are taken from playoffs only --- meaning just two games for Exum. I can tell because every single player in these top ten lists is in the playoffs. Gobert made the top ten list for playoff turnover percentage as well.

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced-leaders/
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#246 » by dr0welf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Dante is still a solid backup and brings an intensity on defense. He will play better at home, break out game?
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#247 » by vryadli » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Winglish wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Dante needs to take care of the ball, but I don’t think that number is true considering that there are 3 Jazz players with a higher turnover percentage than Dante.

Yes, I see it on this NBA.com page below. Scroll down to bottom to Turnover Percentage. But this NBA.com page is misleading because it doesn't bother to specify on the page anywhere that these stats are taken from playoffs only --- meaning just two games for Exum. I can tell because every single player in these top ten lists is in the playoffs. Gobert made the top ten list for playoff turnover percentage as well.

And he is 5-th in offensive rating. Mitchell is not there at all. And Utah players have very few spots in "positive" lists. Exum, Rubio, Gobert and Favors each have one positive spot.

High usage is in my opinion neutral at best.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#248 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:21 am

vryadli wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
Winglish wrote:I saw it on the NBA website yesterday.

And he is 5-th in offensive rating. Mitchell is not there at all. And Utah players have very few spots in "positive" lists. Exum, Rubio, Gobert and Favors each have one positive spot.

High usage is in my opinion neutral at best.

Exum needs to see the ball go in the basket. So many close and roll out. Finish strong second half boys.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#249 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:49 pm

sipclip wrote:Dante has been really bad since his hot start after coming back. When he came back playing so well I was concerned about what it would cost to bring him back but now I'm concerned that he won't get a large enough offer from the jazz or another team to entice him not to take his qualifying offer.

I am hopeful that we can re-sign him on a modest four year contract, but yes, that one year qualifying offer thing is a threat again. I don't think he is anywhere near as good as he looked playing his first few games back or anywhere near as bad as he has looked this post season so far. A scouting report may be catching up with him a little: "You can play off him and give him lots of space on the perimeter. He is unlikely to take and knock down a three or a mid range shot. He is vulnerable to strips on his drives to the basket. And if you can meet him and challenge him at the rim a bit, there is a good chance he may miss his layup." Dante has only attempted two threes in the playoffs so far and he badly missed them both. He has more turnovers than assists.

Fortunately, we likely have at least one more playoff series where Dante will have a chance to settle down and play better. Dante is still a work in progress, a project. Go Jazz!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#250 » by KqWIN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Haralabob has been calling him Bambi on blow, and I think that describes how he’s playing pretty well. He is completely out of control and reckless. The raw talent is obviously there, but he’s getting sped up.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#251 » by PharmD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm

I feel like he had 1 great game, 2 decent games, and has been a disaster pretty much every other time he's stepped on the floor.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#252 » by Charlie_S » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 pm

To be honest, I kinda hope that he keeps struggling in these playoffs so that it might be easier to bring him back on a cheaper, longer-term deal. He just came back too late to expect anything out of him in these playoffs so I wouldn't put too much weight on his performance. After the shoulder injury I though he'd probably be done for the season anyway so if anything good comes, that's just gravy.

The good thing is that with Mitchell's explosion the Jazz don't really need Exum to be the difference maker for this team to be successful as much as it once seemed, so even if he "only" becomes a very useful piece down the road it will still be ok. And I still believe that Dante can become a very good NBA player. Hopefully playing some meaningful playoff minutes (as opposed to the previous season, when he was basically out of the rotation against the Clippers) will be a learning experience for him, as well as watching Rubio play.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#253 » by sipclip » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:59 am

I think we are seeing the end of Dante in a jazz uni. His camp will likely go scorched earth once free agency hits to make it awkward for the jazz to match.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#254 » by PharmD » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 am

(he might play in Australia next year)
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#255 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 am

sipclip wrote:I think we are seeing the end of Dante in a jazz uni. His camp will likely go scorched earth once free agency hits to make it awkward for the jazz to match.

I have been hoping for an Exum emergence, but for every good play he makes, he makes 2 or 3 boneheaded plays or errors (losing the ball too frequently and playing timidly are biggest gripes)- so I am starting to ask myself if the Jazz will be worse off without him, and which team is willing to step up and pay some meaningful money and take a chance on him?
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#256 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 am

sipclip wrote:I think we are seeing the end of Dante in a jazz uni. His camp will likely go scorched earth once free agency hits to make it awkward for the jazz to match.

I agree, sadly. But Ex has a good career ahead of him with somebody. I think tonight on the OKC close-out game the Jazz realized they don't need Dante at a remotely tall number at all. DM playing point plus the point forwards kind of ruined the narrative of needing Ex. Like Favs, would love to see them back but will take good replacements. As a guy who bet long on Ex this is hard to come to. He still is a turnover machine bambi out there. I think he is going to have a CJ Miles sort of career, which ain't bad, a rotation player on a contender in the end.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#257 » by eLo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 am

where are all those who were bashing duds like @Winglish who said Ex is a bust? as for me is still think Ex is not done but in upcoming summer i would much rather stay with Raul than him
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 944

Post#258 » by tleikheen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Dante played scared and I think Snyders reputation as a developer of young talent isn''t warranted. Exum has all the talent in the world but why is he so afraid of mistakes ...look at Snyder.

And Snyder didn't make Gobert and Mitchell the stars they are now ,he just recognized how good they are and played them .Snyder is very fortunate as a coach to land these two

I expect Exum to want away from Snyder and play with a team that wants to get up and down the court and thrive.I can't see Exum wanting to stay in Utah and I also think Favors will leave too and Jazz will fall back to the pack alittle relying on O'Neale and Crowder
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#259 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:33 pm

tleikheen wrote:Dante played scared and I think Snyders reputation as a developer of young talent isn''t warranted. Exum has all the talent in the world but why is he so afraid of mistakes ...look at Snyder.

And Snyder didn't make Gobert and Mitchell the stars they are now ,he just recognized how good they are and played them .Snyder is very fortunate as a coach to land these two

I expect Exum to want away from Snyder and play with a team that wants to get up and down the court and thrive.I can't see Exum wanting to stay in Utah and I also think Favors will leave too and Jazz will fall back to the pack alittle relying on O'Neale and Crowder

That's funny...NBA experts speak of COTY they all talk about Quin being part of the talks. Players and fans also. I guess gonna be a few haters.
yonex13
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#260 » by yonex13 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
tleikheen wrote:Dante played scared and I think Snyders reputation as a developer of young talent isn''t warranted. Exum has all the talent in the world but why is he so afraid of mistakes ...look at Snyder.

That's funny...NBA experts speak of COTY they all talk about Quin being part of the talks. Players and fans also. I guess gonna be a few haters.

I have better handles than Exum, the issue isn't Snyder... its Dante... Look at how many TOs Exum has had in this postseason. If you are Snyder can you actually afford to play him? HELL NO.

Also not Snyders fault Exum cant shoot.... Case and point Royce O. who has been far better than Exum in his entire career.

Return to Utah Jazz