pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: The Case for Favors 

Post#41 » by pickIBL » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 am

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:
Why can't it simply be a 3 man rotation?

Let's get you a press pass and you can ask favs what he thinks. Tweet him. I noted I'm in favor of favors and have always liked him while also keeping it real.

I'm happy to divide the what should we do questions from the what will they do questions. But let's talk about what they would do if they brought Favors back.

Favors is getting minutes in the rotation right now. By "backup big that gets decent minutes and serve as injury protection," do you mean more or fewer minutes than he gets right now? I figured you meant fewer, because of the way you described him being unhappy about that role. But I don't see any reason why he should get fewer minutes that he already gets. What do you have in mind here for being real?

I think coach wants shooting at the 4 which could limit the minutes favs could get at the 4 next year. Maybe some games he logs minutes at the 4, but a few of these teams are so loaded offensively I think he'll look to jae at the 4 and maybe even ingles.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#42 » by Luigi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 am

pickIBL wrote:I think coach wants shooting at the 4 which could limit the minutes favs could get at the 4 next year. Maybe some games he logs minutes at the 4, but a few of these teams are so loaded offensively I think he'll look to jae at the 4 and maybe even ingles.

I see. Every time I hear about stretch 4s, I plug my ears and say "lalalalala." If they do go that way, true, Favors doesn't make sense.

But the case I make for Favors has to do with being a big, beefy, defensive team. I like our shot at that identity more than going for shooty 4s and expecting Rudy to do the work of 2 bigmen all season. He can do it, but I think we're asking for trouble if we leave him alone in that job. Maybe I'd be into it if Crowder was more like Draymond Green--in the rebounding, defending, or shooting departments. But I'd rather stay with the bruisers for now, as it currently is.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#43 » by Winglish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 am

I'm all in on signing Derrick Favors.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#44 » by pickIBL » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 am

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I think coach wants shooting at the 4 which could limit the minutes favs could get at the 4 next year. Maybe some games he logs minutes at the 4, but a few of these teams are so loaded offensively I think he'll look to jae at the 4 and maybe even ingles.

I see. Every time I hear about stretch 4s, I plug my ears and say "lalalalala." If they do go that way, true, Favors doesn't make sense.

But the case I make for Favors has to do with being a big, beefy, defensive team. I like our shot at that identity more than going for shooty 4s and expecting Rudy to do the work of 2 bigmen all season. He can do it, but I think we're asking for trouble if we leave him alone in that job. Maybe I'd be into it if Crowder was more like Draymond Green--in the rebounding, defending, or shooting departments. But I'd rather stay with the bruisers for now, as it currently is.

Where Jae falls short versus Dray is passing/distributing. He's not quite the rebounder (maybe) because Green has more boarding opportunities. Overall the numbers say Jae shoots better, especially with all the good looks Green gets around those guys. Especially considering that contract I am fine with the Jae deal, and I think he'll do a solid job and make the Jazz better able to compete.

If Dante and Mitchell are driving to the basket you need a guy like Jae that can actually make the jumpers favs wont make. Which is why Ingles at the 4 is so tasty on the offensive end along with Jaw. Ingles will make those open looks.

The Jazz need to improve the offensive firepower while maintaining the defense. I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do, but they have set themselves up to have some options. I like Rubio too, but with that expiring deal I'm not sure he is safe this summer either.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#45 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 am

You couldn't make a better case for Faves than our disastrous loss to the Hawks. Can't believe there are still Jazz fans that fail to see just how important this guy is to the team.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#46 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:31 am

Stern Fixer wrote:You couldn't make a better case for Faves than our disastrous loss to the Hawks. Can't believe there are still Jazz fans that fail to see just how important this guy is to the team.

The Jazz should have won vs the Hawks at home in a blowout even without Favors. I can't make any conclusions on the worth of any player based off of this game.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#47 » by TNJazz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm

The whole tram was terrible, Ingles 1-8 from 3, Jerbko 0 for everything, Mitchell while her got his points he took and missed a ton, his shooting % had to be in the low 30's, Rubio looked good offensively. t his defense was bad, Crowder made a few shots and was below his average, O'Neil was awful, Gobert even seemed to lose his focus in the 3rd with 3 fouls on successive plays. While I agree with Inigo that they should have blown them out , it may show just how valuable Favors is in ways that don't always show up in the box score. I felt they really missed him, primarily due to Quinn's poor substitution rotations and extremely bad play out of the PF position. They seemed to approach this game as a gimme and nothing seemed to work. I hope they learn from this game that overlooking an opponent is dangerous. Won't happen in the playoffs as every team will be deserving but still, this was an important game for them that they didn't show up for. I think Favors would have made a big deference, just getting 1/2 of his average in points would have made the difference.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#48 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:You couldn't make a better case for Faves than our disastrous loss to the Hawks. Can't believe there are still Jazz fans that fail to see just how important this guy is to the team.

The Jazz should have won vs the Hawks at home in a blowout even without Favors. I can't make any conclusions on the worth of any player based off of this game.

One point game with under a minute to play, pretty sure Faves would have made a difference, particularly with our inside game.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#49 » by pickIBL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Precisely. The jazz couldn't make jump shots and were cold. The answer is clearly Derrick favors. No wait the jazz d was great, they needed shots to fall and a guy to get some key buckets to pull away earlier or finish down the stretch. The back up center missing wasn't the issue last night
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#50 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

One point game with under a minute to play, pretty sure Faves would have made a difference, particularly with our inside game.

Jazz shot 6-34 from 3 and 37%FG. Might as well say that we could have hit another 3, committed one less turnover, have Ingles--the best 3pt shooter in the league percentage-wise--hit 2-8 instead of 1-8 from 3, or DM score 10-28FG instead of 9-28FG. There is no argument about Favors being a good player, but the Jazz should have easily won this game without him. Hell, the Hawks were missing\sitting quite a few players of their own and they're one of the worst teams in the league even at full health, and they were playing on our home court. There is a case to be made for the importance of Favors, but this game isn't one of them.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#51 » by BudTugly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Favors was far from the only player missing from this game.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#52 » by Luigi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The Jazz should have won vs the Hawks at home in a blowout even without Favors. I can't make any conclusions on the worth of any player based off of this game.

Jazz shot 6-34 from 3 and 37%FG. Might as well say that we could have hit another 3, committed one less turnover, have Ingles--the best 3pt shooter in the league percentage-wise--hit 2-8 instead of 1-8 from 3, or DM score 10-28FG instead of 9-28FG. There is no argument about Favors being a good player, but the Jazz should have easily won this game without him. Hell, the Hawks were missing\sitting quite a few players of their own and they're one of the worst teams in the league even at full health, and they were playing on our home court. There is a case to be made for the importance of Favors, but this game isn't one of them.

I didn't see the game, but perhaps sacrificing our beefy inside presence could be to blame. I don't see why not off the bat. Bad long range shooting can often be due to having a weak interior presence, either from the post, or on the boards.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#53 » by Luigi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Where Jae falls short versus Dray is passing/distributing. He's not quite the rebounder (maybe) because Green has more boarding opportunities. Overall the numbers say Jae shoots better, especially with all the good looks Green gets around those guys. Especially considering that contract I am fine with the Jae deal, and I think he'll do a solid job and make the Jazz better able to compete.

If Dante and Mitchell are driving to the basket you need a guy like Jae that can actually make the jumpers favs wont make. Which is why Ingles at the 4 is so tasty on the offensive end along with Jaw. Ingles will make those open looks.

The Jazz need to improve the offensive firepower while maintaining the defense. I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do, but they have set themselves up to have some options. I like Rubio too, but with that expiring deal I'm not sure he is safe this summer either.

I think the gaps in rebounding, defense, and offense, including shooting are all pretty clear. You're down playing them. Crowder has a nice contract. But I'm not sure he can do everything you're hoping he can.

Remember, the case I'm making is for a big, beefy, defensive team. So I'm not gonna be too worried about who Exum is gonna pass to if he drives right now. The strategy would be to keep up elite defense, and build the offense after that. I think that's our best shot right now, unless we can acquire another offensive star somehow.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#54 » by pickIBL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:

I think the gaps in rebounding, defense, and offense, including shooting are all pretty clear. You're down playing them. Crowder has a nice contract. But I'm not sure he can do everything you're hoping he can.

Remember, the case I'm making is for a big, beefy, defensive team. So I'm not gonna be too worried about who Exum is gonna pass to if he drives right now. The strategy would be to keep up elite defense, and build the offense after that. I think that's our best shot right now, unless we can acquire another offensive star somehow.

The Larry Brown pistons strategy is a long shot. If you want rings you need offensive talents that commit on the defensive end. The NBA is designed for these harden/curry types. You've got to have offensive firepower.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#55 » by Luigi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 pm

pickIBL wrote:The Larry Brown pistons strategy is a long shot. If you want rings you need offensive talents that commit on the defensive end. The NBA is designed for these harden/curry types. You've got to have offensive firepower.

Where are we gonna get em? That's why I'm going in for the bigs and defense model. Grizzlies had a few good years, old Pacers teams too. It's not about the easiest way for any NBA team to get there, its about our best shot.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#56 » by pickIBL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:The Larry Brown pistons strategy is a long shot. If you want rings you need offensive talents that commit on the defensive end. The NBA is designed for these harden/curry types. You've got to have offensive firepower.

Where are we gonna get em? That's why I'm going in for the bigs and defense model. Grizzlies had a few good years, old Pacers teams too. It's not about the easiest way for any NBA team to get there, its about our best shot.

It may play out that as jae integrates he gives the jazz a better shot if he starts and favs comes off the bench next year.

The jazz have kept their picks and made sure to have lots of team options and expiring deals. So the best bet is probably to improve the club via trade.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#57 » by Luigi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:

It may play out that as jae integrates he gives the jazz a better shot if he starts and favs comes off the bench next year.

The jazz have kept their picks and made sure to have lots of team options and expiring deals. So the best bet is probably to improve the club via trade.

Yeah, we're going very different directions, you and me. I'm not impressed with Crowder. He's riding a hot streak, and it looks like we're winning despite him.

But I'm always listening to trade proposals to land more legit stars.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#58 » by pickIBL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Yeah, we're going very different directions, you and me. I'm not impressed with Crowder. He's riding a hot streak, and it looks like we're winning despite him.

But I'm always listening to trade proposals to land more legit stars.

The NBA is a business that is trending away from what you are talking about.

The current starting line ups awesome defense will not be able to overcome offensive shortcomings compared to the 4 and 5 headed offensive monsters the elite will roll out.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#59 » by Luigi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:22 pm

pickIBL wrote:The current starting line ups awesome defense will not be able to overcome offensive shortcomings compared to the 4 and 5 headed offensive monsters the elite will roll out.

I'm well aware of the trend. But I don't think we're going to out California the Warriors, or out Houston the Rockets. I've been making a case for our specific opportunity around size and defense. Favors does that nicely, and I think it gives us our best shot.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#60 » by pickIBL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:The current starting line ups awesome defense will not be able to overcome offensive shortcomings compared to the 4 and 5 headed offensive monsters the elite will roll out.

I'm well aware of the trend. But I don't think we're going to out California the Warriors, or out Houston the Rockets. .

No worries there, the jazz don't have to. The jazz have something they don't have... Rudy gobert.

The mistake is not surrounding Rudy with the talent and player fit he deserves.

For me to jump on your bandwagon the NBA would have to take out the defensive 3 secs and allow defenders to have their space on the floor. These harden drives are auto fouls at this point. Heck guys like Corey maggette made a living off the whistle.

Return to Utah Jazz