How would you feel about standing pat this offseason?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: How would you feel about standing pat this offseason? 

Post#41 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:18 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
He is elite on the defensive side. If a bench player can be elite at something I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I'm just going to laugh over the next couple years when the "overrated" O'Neale plays 15-20 mpg for a scary Jazz playoff team for $800K/year. Name the last rookie who was the best wing defender on a playoff team. If he puts in the work and improves his offense, (which is not a stretch at all with the Jazz staff and his great fundamentals), he is an Ingles type 3-D guy who easily brings the ball up the floor an initiates the offense.

I didn't say I didn't want Royce back, but the Jazz need a SG/SF replacement for Burks IMO.

That's exactly what Royce is. And Exum is going to get Burks dollars.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#42 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:16 am

I just am not the biggest fan of Royce - Thabo - Crowder all 3 together on the bench unit on the offensive end. Of course Crowder quite possibly could be moved to the starting 4 if Favors does not resign.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#43 » by KDBG » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:17 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
NYG wrote:Not a Jazz fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Jazz are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

The Jazz will offer Rubio a new 3-4 year contract. Probably not a ton more than he makes now. Just a longer deal. I think Rubio signs it and is happy to be here.

I'm not so sure Rubio gets a 3-4 year contract, or any new contract with the Jazz. I think the Jazz will let his contract expire. He's too damn good of a player to come off the bench, but that's more than likely his future with the Jazz if he's still here, starting as early as the beginning of next season with Exum on the rise. Our future is Mitchell and Exum in the backcourt. I just don't see Exum coming off the bench for one more whole season.

I know some will say Exum has to prove more than this small sample size, blah, blah, blah. But if you've been watching him since last summer league, you'd see the noticeable improvement. And I plan to see an even bigger jump next season. I'm talking a "most improved player" type jump.

This is no diss on Rubio though, because without him we aren't the fourth seed right now. But his ceiling is just not as high as Exum's. This reminds me of the Millsap/Favors situation.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#44 » by Winglish » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:16 am

I am content with the current roster for the most part.

I like Favors and want him back.

I like Exum and want him back at a REASONABLE number that is based on what he has done and not hopes or dreams.

I would trade Alec Burks. I like Alec and I think he brings value to a team but his game is not ideally suited to this team.

If you can upgrade guys like Sefalosha and Jerebko you do it. Roll with them on one year deals if you can, just like this year.

(These one year contracts for veterans was ingenious on Dennis Lindsey's part!)

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#45 » by stitches » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm largely for staying pat unless a big move becomes available. I don't want us to strap ourselves to big long-term money on filler type of contracts. We need high end offensive help for Mitchell so it wouldn't all fall on him and a stretchy 4 and if we can get that in 1 package(Parker, Gordon, Mirotic(maybe)) I can see us making that type of move.

If nothing of the sort becomes available, though, I want us to keep flexibility for the summer of 2019. I think this is the real big moment for our free agency hopes, the time we need to target to have enough cash and good enough team to attract a big time FA.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#46 » by vryadli » Sun Apr 8, 2018 8:20 pm

Please no tinkering with main cogs next 2-3 years! There are too few players only who is "touchable"by different reasons and to different extents. Evidently Burks, and may be Udoh (but that is already risky). Then Thabo could lose to much during the hiatus. And Neto may be can be expendable as it doesn't look like there going be any break through.

Crawder, Neale and Jerebko may be replaceable too, but are on uphill trajectory, so I'd wait at least one more years before use these men like chips (though I have inborn dislike for using men like chips).

But if Favors can really want out that will break the balance considerably and cause an avalanche of adjustments... which hardly will be improvements.
KDBG
Starter

Post#47 » by KDBG » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:22 pm

Jabari is still very intriguing to me. And not cause he's LDS, even though that helps with marketing. But I could see Quin and the coaching staff work wonders on Jabari. I think he can be an elite scorer in this league. Carmelo level. Also, I think he's one of the only big time free agents that's somewhat realistic.

But I love Favors, and he's still the priority right now. A lot of things can change though come July.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#48 » by vryadli » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:26 pm

KDBG wrote:Jabari is still very intriguing to me. And not cause he's LDS, even though that helps with marketing. But I could see Quin and the coaching staff work wonders on Jabari. I think he can be an elite scorer in this league. Carmelo level. Also, I think he's one of the only big time free agents that's somewhat realistic.

But I love Favors, and he's still the priority right now. A lot of things can change though come July.

Please, nothing Carmelo-like for Jazz. Even DWill made a lot of long lasting damage. So anything even remotely resembling have to be rejected immediately.
KDBG
Starter

Post#49 » by KDBG » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:34 pm

vryadli wrote:
KDBG wrote:Jabari is still very intriguing to me. And not cause he's LDS, even though that helps with marketing. But I could see Quin and the coaching staff work wonders on Jabari. I think he can be an elite scorer in this league. Carmelo level. Also, I think he's one of the only big time free agents that's somewhat realistic.

Please, nothing Carmelo-like for Jazz. Even DWill made a lot of long lasting damage. So anything even remotely resembling have to be rejected immediately.

Not Carmelo's black hole style of play, I was talking about scoring talent. To have another guy that could share the scoring load with Mitchell would be valuable.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#50 » by vryadli » Sun Apr 8, 2018 9:42 pm

KDBG wrote:
vryadli wrote:

Not Carmelo's black hole style of play, I was talking about scoring talent. To have another guy that could share the scoring load with Mitchell would be valuable.

Being black hole is only half of Carmelo charm. DM plays quite a bit of defense. Did Jabary? I heard - not so much.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#51 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:39 am

I feel fine staying pat, but also not completely satisfied with where the team is at. As others have said, 2019 is the time to make the moves. This summer should be about positioning ourselves for next summer.
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#52 » by Denizfeital » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:14 am

sipclip wrote:
Denizfeital wrote:We have at least 3 teams better than us right now (Cavs, Houston, GSW) and two more probably when healthy (Raptors and Celtics).

So, imho, standing pat would not get us to the championship round, and get there is the goal.

I understand the upside, but is it enough to make us to win it all? I am afraid not.

We need to get lucky in the draft and (as much hurt to say this) we may need to make a few trades and also get lucky here.

On the other hand, if that 27-5 is no fluke and we can replicate that next season...well, look out for The Jazz in the Finals!!

Regards,

Deniz

First off I don't believe the cavs are better than us. Then if we see the improvement of MItchell and Exum that I believe will happen then I love the way we matchup with the rockets. The warriors are the warriors and as long as they are healthy then they are a cut above.

When it comes to the east the raptors don't scare me and I see the cavs beginning to take a step back while the sixers and celtics step up. Those teams obviously have immense upside but they are in the east so I'm will worry about them later.

Just because you don't believe the cavs are better it doesn't mean you re right. You can believe in anything you want.

The question here was if The Jazz should stand pat or not, which imo it is not the case yet. The upside is there, but it is just that: upside.

Regards,

Deniz
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#53 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:35 am

If I’m the jazz, I would be open minded going in to the offseason. Not a ton of teams have cap space so you guys have the upper hand. You could get a REALLY good player for the non tax payers MLE.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#54 » by zero24gravity » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:53 pm

This off-season's to-do list (IMO)

Keep Favors! He's so undervalued, it's almost criminal. He's the model of consistency. He accepts his role & plays hard no matter what is asked of him. He's a really good defender, who can switch and guard wings, and also bang inside. He's the Jazz's only real "muscle" inside -- he's really brought out his inner-beast this year, dunking on people left & right & fighting for rebounds. (I've been waiting for that aggression his entire career.) He's also turned into a helluva mid range shooter, even while moving towards the basket. Simply stated, if the Jazz lose Favors, it'll be a giant blow to this team, and many Jazz fans will be looking around saying "damn, I didn't realize what we had, until he was gone".

For hell's sake .... don't go after Jabari. What a waste of big money & resources this would be. Yes, another player who can create offense would be great, but this guy wasn't overly athletic or a very good defender prior to his 324th major injury. He will, without a doubt, want to be paid as if he's an All Star, but banking that he'll ever be healthy ongoing, or return to form seem like a huge risk, that only an irresponsible (or desperate) FO would take on IMO. Is he talented? Yes. Does he deserve a shot somewhere? Of course. But let some other team overpay him & give him his shot at injury-redemption. (It's a pretty large red flag when his own team doesn't appear to even care if he goes.)

Draft day - the one down side to the Jazz's climb to near top of the West, is the draft pick becomes worse. (Oh well!) I trust the FO to make a move that will make sense and help improve the team on draft day.

Find a quality player ... somewhere. Trade, sign, whatever. I know that sounds too simplistic, but they already have a deep team that compliment each other well, so just strengthening that with some tweaks seems logical. If the Jazz keep Favors, then adding another shooter would be great. If <sad face> they lose Fav's, then finding "Favors-light" should be top priority. There aren't a lot of "name" FA's I think the Jazz will chase, but I think A.Gordon is worth making a play for, if Favors were to leave. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute could be an interesting grab. Dewayne Dedmon (player option) is another player I could see fit in well.
devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#55 » by devilsadvocate9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:05 pm

What a great season.
I've followed the Jazz for years, and this is one of my favorite seasons watching them :)
I was thinking about the core and player comparisons that I've seen on the GB, these comparisons are the best case scenario in my opinion, and if they all develop properly (Exum is the wildcard) they are a championship core
Mitchell = Wade
Gobert = Mutumbo
Exum = Penny
Favors = Horace Grant

Currently, even if Exum doesn't develop into a superstar, I see this team's floor being similar to the Iverson 76ers with AI / Mutumbo and role players. I can see Mitchell being an AI type scorer, and the rest of our roster is much better than the rest of the 76ers already.

This year's team reminds me A LOT of the 94 Denver Nuggets with Mutumbo (He averaged over 4 blocks a game! What a beast!)
Rosters are very similar
Mitchell = Abdul-Rauf
Ingles = Ellis
Exum = Pack
Crowder = Rogers

That team beat the #1 seed Sonics, and took the Jazz to 7 games in the 2nd round

TLDR; we have a great core already that I'd continue to build around and tweak as needed
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#56 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

I wrote something that I thought was posted and it never showed up...hmmm..

Anyways...

My main reasonable offseason target after thinking about it is Luc Mbah a Moute. He fits really well into the type of player I want the Jazz to go after. He plays high level defense and would make playing the Jazz even more brutal to play. He can play SF and PF. He can relieve Ingles of having to be our main wing defender. He shoots the 3 point shot at a 36% rate. He comes from a team use to jacking up a lot of 3's. He can play off ball on offense. He is pretty big at 6'8" 230 pds. He has been undervalued and underpaid for years and I think we can get him on a declining type contract. I want Favs back, but a combination of Luc, Crowder, Ingles, and Jerebko can keep defense on their toes and guys fresh if Favs signs elsewhere.

Offseason wishes

Trade Burks with any combination of Jerebko, Udoh, Thabo, and second round draft picks. Ideally this also results in a move up in the draft or some other type of asset. If all that is acquired is cap space I still think it is worth it. I would be fine trading our pick this year to give some team more cap space if it meant we get a better pick next year. I really like the first round swap options as I think teams are very reluctant to give up a first round pick and more likely to allow a swap. Unless DL sees someone in the 20 range he thinks is being vastly undervalued. Draft BPA this year if we still have the pick.

Sign Luc to a two or three year deal (slight overpay ok if it has team options).

Resign Favs, Rubio, and Exum to new deals. Hopefully a lot of incentives in all three players deals.

Give any player development coach we have a multi year deal with big incentives for player development. We must keep these guys.

If this is "all" we did I would be happy.

Rubio, Exum, DM, Royce, Ingles, Crowder, Luc, Favs, Gobert is a nasty 9 man rotation. It is also a lot of depth if we keep Favs. We have four main ball handlers in Rubio. DM, Ingles, and Exum. We would have a lot of wing depth with Ingles, Crowder, Luc, and Royce.(possibly Thabo still around? But I doubt it). And we have a backup big man in Favs if heaven forbid Gobert goes out again.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#57 » by pickIBL » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm

devilsadvocate9 wrote:What a great season.
I've followed the Jazz for years, and this is one of my favorite seasons watching them :)
I was thinking about the core and player comparisons that I've seen on the GB, these comparisons are the best case scenario in my opinion, and if they all develop properly (Exum is the wildcard) they are a championship core
Mitchell = Wade
Gobert = Mutumbo
Exum = Penny
Favors = Horace Grant

Currently, even if Exum doesn't develop into a superstar, I see this team's floor being similar to the Iverson 76ers with AI / Mutumbo and role players. I can see Mitchell being an AI type scorer, and the rest of our roster is much better than the rest of the 76ers already.

This year's team reminds me A LOT of the 94 Denver Nuggets with Mutumbo (He averaged over 4 blocks a game! What a beast!)
Rosters are very similar
Mitchell = Abdul-Rauf
Ingles = Ellis
Exum = Pack
Crowder = Rogers

That team beat the #1 seed Sonics, and took the Jazz to 7 games in the 2nd round

TLDR; we have a great core already that I'd continue to build around and tweak as needed

This is a little bit like those Nuggets except gobert aint signing with the hawks this summer
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#58 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Sign Lebron, win championship. Easy list

Return to Utah Jazz