How would you feel about standing pat this offseason?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Re: How would you feel about standing pat this offseason? 

Post#21 » by laika » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:07 pm

Burks has no spot in the rotation any more. The Jazz need to make an effort to trade him since it's bad for morale for someone paid that much not to play.
I get the feeling that Favors is not loyal to Utah. He'll probably take the highest offer. So if Favors leaves, the Jazz need to find a replacement PF. The rest of the core is young enough that we don't need to make much of an effort to sign anyone else. Hopefully some team doesn't fall in love with Exum.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#22 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:14 pm

NYG wrote:Not a Jazz fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Jazz are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

This is my best guess. We won’t see a lot of big moves. Most signings will be internal.

The Jazz will be more proactive in offering Exum a deal. The last time they let a player go get a contract Hayward had an early opt out in his contract. I think the Jazz GM won’t be passive this time around. Not sure amount, but won’t be surprised to see Exum get something like 4/40 million. The contract will have a LOT of incentives that allow Exum to make more of he plays well. The contract will be considered an overpay until halfway through next season when some call it a good deal(Jazz fans hope).

The Jazz will tell Favs to go see what type of contract he can get. If it is less than 15 million a year they will seriously consider keeping Favs around on a 2-3 deal. I hope we can keep him. I honestly think he will consider staying as well. He does not have he personality where he wants to be in the limelight. You can tell he is shy in interviews. He wants to play PF so the “issue” of Gobert being the starting center over Favs is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. In the end this all comes down to money. If someone pays Favs, he is gone.

The Jazz will offer Rubio a new 3-4 year contract. Probably not a ton more than he makes now. Just a longer deal. I think Rubio signs it and is happy to be here.

If they can sign these three guys they will look to trade Burks with the Jazz draft pick or using Thabo, Udoh, or Jerebko expiring deals. There is a million way that could play out. Burks is expiring and the three other guys have team options. But I think Burks can be traded without giving up the pick. We’ll see.

Neto will be gone. Gets a bigger contract and takes the money.

After all these moves they will sign 1-3 players on deals similar to the ones they gave Udoh, Thabo, and Jerebko. Two year deals with team options on the second year. It will be guys who are 26-31 in age and are “veterans”.

Well use our second round picks in draft and stash European guys. Big defensive minded wings. Hoping one pans out in a few years.

The Jazz won’t offer Jabari, Gordon, Randle, etc any deals despite the rumors they will. I just don’t see it.

They will try to have cap space for 2019. These new deals will make it hard.

That’s my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#23 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:43 pm

Dual wrote:I'm all in, standing pat is the best choice. Grow as a group, add some pieces through draft and fa, but I wouldn't touch any of the players of the list:
Gobert
Mitchell
Rubio
Ingles
Favors
Exum
Crowder
Sepalosha
O'Neal
Jerebko

That's 10 players, not much room but still we can find the way.
I believe is important to keep Favors and Dante, let's hope we do that.

That's my list of keepers as well. Great minds think alike.

Why give up assets for Mirotic when we already have Crowder and Jerebko who give us solid minutes at the four. Now if Favors walks, that's a different story, but Ilyasova comes a lot cheaper than Mirotic, Hezonja, Bejilica and has been tearing it up in Philly - besides he's a UFA after this season and doesn't cost us anything in trade. I had no idea he was that good on the boards as well. Saving their season with Embid sidelined. I like Randle as well as a replacement, but the Lakers have recently realized his value and won't let him go unless they hit the jackpot with George and James IMO.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:50 pm

I've got a hard on for Hezonja or Bjelica if Favs leaves.
Ingles is cooked.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#25 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:08 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
Why give up assets for Mirotic when we already have Crowder and Jerebko who give us solid minutes at the four. Now if Favors walks, that's a different story, but Ilyasova comes a lot cheaper than Mirotic, Hezonja, Bejilica and has been tearing it up in Philly - besides he's a UFA after this season and doesn't cost us anything in trade. I had no idea he was that good on the boards as well. Saving their season with Embid sidelined. I like Randle as well as a replacement, but the Lakers have recently realized his value and won't let him go unless they hit the jackpot with George and James IMO.

How do you know that? I've seen multiple fanbases talk about him. But he won't be cheap if he has multiple suitors. Plus he chose to come back to Philly which probably means he prefers that team.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:10 pm

GobertReport wrote:I've got a hard on for Hezonja or Bjelica if Favs leaves.

Let's bring Magic Randolph to the NBA. He's more of a like for like replacement for Favs.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#27 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:17 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

How do you know that? I've seen multiple fanbases talk about him. But he won't be cheap if he has multiple suitors. Plus he chose to come back to Philly which probably means he prefers that team.

Well he played for 6 mil in Atlanta this season and then took a buyout to be on a playoff team in Philly for half a mil. The guy is thirty years old and had a couple of injury plagued seasons which is another factor. Pretty sure he'd come considerably cheaper and he's a free agent after this season.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:20 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

Well he played for 6 mil in Atlanta this season and then took a buyout to be on a playoff team in Philly for half a mil. The guy is thirty years old and had a couple of injury plagued seasons which is another factor. Pretty sure he'd come considerably cheaper and he's a free agent after this season.

He fits in Philly. And Philly has a ton of money to burn. He won't get long deal but can get a short one for solid money. In other words if you think he's coming to Utah for bread crumbs you're :crazy:
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#29 » by sipclip » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:32 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:

Let's bring Magic Randolph to the NBA. He's more of a like for like replacement for Favs.

Sign me up. I've always like Randolph and his game fits in the nba more now than ever before.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#30 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:32 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:

He fits in Philly. And Philly has a ton of money to burn. He won't get long deal but can get a short one for solid money. In other words if you think he's coming to Utah for bread crumbs you're :crazy:

Not if Philly signs Lebron.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#31 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:34 pm

sipclip wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:

Sign me up. I've always like Randolph and his game fits in the nba more now than ever before.

He still cannot shoot though.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#32 » by sipclip » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:36 pm

Denizfeital wrote:We have at least 3 teams better than us right now (Cavs, Houston, GSW) and two more probably when healthy (Raptors and Celtics).

So, imho, standing pat would not get us to the championship round, and get there is the goal.

I understand the upside, but is it enough to make us to win it all? I am afraid not.

We need to get lucky in the draft and (as much hurt to say this) we may need to make a few trades and also get lucky here.

On the other hand, if that 27-5 is no fluke and we can replicate that next season...well, look out for The Jazz in the Finals!!

Regards,

Deniz

First off I don't believe the cavs are better than us. Then if we see the improvement of MItchell and Exum that I believe will happen then I love the way we matchup with the rockets. The warriors are the warriors and as long as they are healthy then they are a cut above.

When it comes to the east the raptors don't scare me and I see the cavs beginning to take a step back while the sixers and celtics step up. Those teams obviously have immense upside but they are in the east so I'm will worry about them later.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:39 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

Not if Philly signs Lebron.

Still doesn't mean he signs for cheapo in Utah.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:40 pm

GobertReport wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:

He still cannot shoot though.

Neither can Favs. I'd say that Randolph is better in that regard.

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#35 » by JazzUte88 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:23 pm

I like Royce O'Neale but I think he gets way overrated by a lot of people in terms of what we need off the bench to be a serious contender. Needs to develop an offensive game.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#36 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:18 pm

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:I like Royce O'Neale but I think he gets way overrated by a lot of people in terms of what we need off the bench to be a serious contender. Needs to develop an offensive game.

He is elite on the defensive side. If a bench player can be elite at something I’ll take it.

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#37 » by BarneyGumble » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:32 pm

We should trust Dennis Lindsay and Quin Snyder...whatever they decide to do. They are professional and will make the best choices.

That being said, I dont think we will attract a better free agent here than Derrick Favors. Favors isnt my favorite player ever. He has weaknesses, mainly he's injury prone and he doesnt work hard. But he's a big that is a two-way player. I actually think he will leave the Jazz for more money and a bigger role on a losing team....but hopefully he's one of those guys that would rather be a role player that's well paid on a winning team. We will see.....
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#38 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:03 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
UtahJazzFan88 wrote:I like Royce O'Neale but I think he gets way overrated by a lot of people in terms of what we need off the bench to be a serious contender. Needs to develop an offensive game.

He is elite on the defensive side. If a bench player can be elite at something I’ll take it.

I'm just going to laugh over the next couple years when the "overrated" O'Neale plays 15-20 mpg for a scary Jazz playoff team for $800K/year. Name the last rookie who was the best wing defender on a playoff team. If he puts in the work and improves his offense, (which is not a stretch at all with the Jazz staff and his great fundamentals), he is an Ingles type 3-D guy who easily brings the ball up the floor an initiates the offense.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#39 » by Tom349 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:05 am

Im fine with standing pat with our main guys but I see no reason to not look for upgrades of the likes of Thabo and Jerekbo. Admittedly Thabo was probably our most productive recruit (not including guys we traded for or drafted) this season but beyond him Ekpe and O'neale have been our best. Which O'neale has a very good contract with the potential to be great if he improves offensively and Ekpe is also a great back up center who just happens to be behind arguably the best center in the league and best back up center in the league. If you can get more guys in with better contracts than we should be looking to do that as not can it improve us on the court but guys with good contract makes very valuable trade chips.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#40 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:11 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

I'm just going to laugh over the next couple years when the "overrated" O'Neale plays 15-20 mpg for a scary Jazz playoff team for $800K/year. Name the last rookie who was the best wing defender on a playoff team. If he puts in the work and improves his offense, (which is not a stretch at all with the Jazz staff and his great fundamentals), he is an Ingles type 3-D guy who easily brings the ball up the floor an initiates the offense.

I didn't say I didn't want Royce back, but the Jazz need a SG/SF replacement for Burks IMO.

Return to Utah Jazz