Quin Snyder for COY

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Quin Snyder for COY 

Post#41 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

I like Quin, but Stevens beat him really bad in March with pretty much only bench players. Stevens is bar far a better coach, IMO. The Celtics wouldn't be in the ECF without him.

I could see coaches being petty or butt hurt that they got embarrassed by him or that they are supporting Casey and his tenuous job situation. But I can't take this COY award seriously if Stevens wasn't one of top vote recipients.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#42 » by eLo » Sat May 12, 2018 9:19 pm

intriguing how good our team, stuff, will be in upcoming season without Kokoskov
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#43 » by El Hespiritu » Sat May 19, 2018 9:37 am

Image(via HoLoBrau)

Mmmh...

Fixed.

At least, SociopathEyes is in the top-3. I'll take Dwane's stuff the same way I took Fultz as #1 draft.
Ainge and Lindsay are still laughing.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Quin Snyder for COY 

Post#44 » by Daddy 801 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I like Quin, but Stevens beat him really bad in March with pretty much only bench players. Stevens is bar far a better coach, IMO. The Celtics wouldn't be in the ECF without him.

I could see coaches being petty or butt hurt that they got embarrassed by him or that they are supporting Casey and his tenuous job situation. But I can't take this COY award seriously if Stevens wasn't one of top vote recipients.

Stevens also has a team that consists of almost all lottery talent level players even after Kyrie and Hayward are out. To pretend Stevens isn’t lucky (Ainge deserves all the credit in the world) would be short sighted.

Edit- I meant to write a starting five of lottery talent. Obviously not the whole team.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#45 » by dautjazz » Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 am

Stevens deserves it IMO, I think Pops is second, then Snyder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#46 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm

dautjazz wrote:Stevens deserves it IMO, I think Pops is second, then Snyder.

I think it's Brad or Quin.. Second half the year in the west no one was better than the Jazz. Fans were screaming tank tank tank. Jazz was 1/2 game away from the third seed with all there injuries. I love Brad but i'm giving it to Q. buy like .01. That's who close it is.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#47 » by zero24gravity » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Usually the flash-in-the-pan COY's get fired the year AFTER they win the award, not the year they are nominated. (This award may be the most overrated award in the NBA, BTW.) How uncomfortable for the the Raptors & Casey. I don't think he'll win, but if he does, I bet it's the first time ever a COY is fired the year he wins.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#48 » by dautjazz » Tue May 22, 2018 5:40 am

zero24gravity wrote:Usually the flash-in-the-pan COY's get fired the year AFTER they win the award, not the year they are nominated. (This award may be the most overrated award in the NBA, BTW.) How uncomfortable for the the Raptors & Casey. I don't think he'll win, but if he does, I bet it's the first time ever a COY is fired the year he wins.

No it's not, George Karl got fired after winning COY in 2013. Also I highly doubt he wins over Stevens, even Snyder has a much stronger case. I'm very surprised that Casey is up for consideration honestly, I thought the following were better:

Stevens
Pops
Snyder
MDA
McMilan

I'd probably put Terry Scotts up there with Casey, what he did in the regular season surprised me.
NickAnderson wrote:

dautjazz
RealGM

Post#49 » by dautjazz » Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
dautjazz wrote:Stevens deserves it IMO, I think Pops is second, then Snyder.

I think it's Brad or Quin.. Second half the year in the west no one was better than the Jazz. Fans were screaming tank tank tank. Jazz was 1/2 game away from the third seed with all there injuries. I love Brad but i'm giving it to Q. buy like .01. That's who close it is.

Well I think Houston was, right? Regardless, yeah what Quin did was amazing this year. To me Stevens, Pops, and Snyder might be the best two way coaches. MDA was great this year too, and I was impressed with how well the team has played defense, does he have an assistant helping him out with this area, because MDA is infamous for bad defense.
NickAnderson wrote:

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 am

It's never too early to ask for it again.

Three coaches sit at the bench and other guys sit behind but the lines are blurred -Quin SociopathEyes Snyder-

#QUINCOY
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by El Hespiritu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Rauxcee wrote:This is something that doesn't get enough recognition IMO. He is very supportive and happy for his players. Last night against Boston, Snyder had a great moment with Crowder after the game. He cares about his players and if a coach supports the player, the player is going to support the coach and do what the coach wants and not tune them out.
QED

Read on Twitter

Agree... it's an underrated skill.
Players are more than games, fame and money. They are human beings often young and spending long periods far from family and friends.
The affective factor should be taken more into account to cathegorize coaches.

Pops likes hugs, too... Brad I feel like he's less tendant to that.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 pm

These Are The Times Of Armaggedon
When True Believers' Faith Is Tested.

Quin Is My COY
I Shall Not Want
Though We Walk Through The Valley
Of The Shadow Of Beard

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#53 » by sipclip » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:35 am

Pretty easy no. The coach he is going against in this series is far more worthy with the injury hell the rockets went through this year while we were actually extremely healthy for the most part besides Exum and Neto.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#55 » by El Hespiritu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:05 am

I just wanted to state this:

SociopathEyes still my favourite NBA coach so far. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

If any, has been reinforced: that troll (and yet effective) rear-defense over the Beard earned him my provisional vote for next season.

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#56 » by El Hespiritu » Sun May 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Made-up History wrote:Image
Based on real characters and events, some writer invented a story that went viral enough (or the equivalent to viral in Middle-Age) to be quoted at History books:

Fray Ponce de Leon was a Universitarian professor who was imprisoned four years charged by Spanish Inquisition.
The day he was released, all his former students went to the University to welcome him... hundreds of people at the classrom, in the halls, surrounding the building...

When he appeared, everybody was cheering.
He didn't mind.
He went to the atrium, stood in front the board, waited 'til silence was made and then, said:

...as we were saying yesterday at class...
And just kept the lesson on from the point he left it 4 years ago.

So...

dautjazz
RealGM

Post#57 » by dautjazz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:58 pm

Should be Snyder or Monty. If Thibs wins I'd be furious.
NickAnderson wrote:

Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#58 » by Denizfeital » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:57 am

dautjazz wrote:Should be Snyder or Monty. If Thibs wins I'd be furious.

It is confirmed indeed Thibs.

I would not say this is a completely joke, but that is a shame. Thibs should be third. Snyder should be at least second.

That is why we should not care so much about this prizes.

Regards,
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#59 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:22 pm

Thibs had an advantage because he coaches in big media, big market, NYC. COY is awarded by media and there is a lot of national sports media located in NYC rooting for the Knicks. Steven A. Smith, ESPN and the rest of New York-located sports media have been desperate for some good news and respect for the Knicks franchise since 1999, even as they routinely rumuor the biggest-name, most coveted free agents signing with the Knicks and it doesn't happen.

In the less publicized COY award voted by fellow coaches, Monty Williams won. I am not sure who came in second in the coaches vote.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#60 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:43 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Thibs had an advantage because he coaches in big media, big market, NYC. COY is awarded by media and there is a lot of national sports media located in NY rooting for the Knicks. Steven A. Smith, ESPN and the rest of New York-located sports media have been desperate for some good news and respect for the Knicks almost every season since 1999, even as they regularly rumuor the biggest-name, most coveted free agents signing with the Knicks and it doesn't happen.

In the less publicized COY award voted by fellow coaches, Monty Williams won. I am not sure who came in second in the coaches vote.

Oh, this was certainly an East Coast bias situation. The Knicks took 4th place in a 3 team Leastern conference, where 2 teams without winning records made the playoffs, but the entire 2nd half of the season were talked about & touted as if they were the #1 team in the league. If the Jazz would have continued on the historic pace they were on in the first half of the season, I think Snyder takes the award, but it was easy for voters to dismiss him since they came back down to earth a bit. Williams getting the Suns, who were supposed to be a fringe playoff team, to the 2 seed in a 9 team Western conference, was worthy of the award, IMO. Williams got more 1st place votes that Thibs. It probably came down to the Knick/East boot lickers all voting for Thibs, while the others split their votes for the 2 Western coaches, which ended up costing Williams the win. If they re-vote with just Thibs & Monty, Monty wins.

Oh well. We all know Snyder has been masterful. He still has time to win the award, but putting him next to Jerry Sloan as all time great coaches who don't end up winning it, isn't terrible company to be in.

P.S. Where are the Knicks now? Just sayin'.

Return to Utah Jazz