Who do you guys like for the Jazz's #14 Denver pick?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Who do you guys like for the Jazz's #14 Denver pick? 

Post#41 » by stitches » Wed May 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:Faried + 14 for 21+NGs makes way too much sense.

I proposed this exact trade a while ago. It makes a ton of sense. I sorta like Faried in our system. Quin can run an uptempo second unit. I think a Donny, Exum, Royce, Ingles, Faried unit could work well in certain circumstances.

Ideally a Rubio, Donny, Mario, Favs, Gobert lineup with Exum, Royce, Ingles, Faried, and Bradley off the bench. I like that squad with Quin running the show.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Unfortunately it seems like this trade cannot be done because in the new CBA only the guaranteed portion of non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract count for salary-matching purposes.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#42 » by KqWIN » Wed May 30, 2018 6:23 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:Faried + 14 for 21+NGs makes way too much sense.

I proposed this exact trade a while ago. It makes a ton of sense. I sorta like Faried in our system. Quin can run an uptempo second unit. I think a Donny, Exum, Royce, Ingles, Faried unit could work well in certain circumstances.

Ideally a Rubio, Donny, Mario, Favs, Gobert lineup with Exum, Royce, Ingles, Faried, and Bradley off the bench. I like that squad with Quin running the show.

Unfortunately it seems like this trade cannot be done because in the new CBA only the guaranteed portion of non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract count for salary-matching purposes.

Wouldn’t the salary match be for 17-18 though? All players are guaranteed for 17-18. The trade happens before the season is over.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Who do you guys like for the Jazz's #14 Denver pick? 

Post#43 » by sipclip » Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm

stitches wrote:Seems like we wouldn't be able to do that trade for #14 because of this:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/03/how-non-guaranteed-salaries-will-affect-trades-in-new-cba.html

In the new CBA only the guaranteed portions of a contract count toward salary matching purposes. So... yeah... that trade cannot be done it seems.

That makes all the contracts of Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh worthless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#44 » by stitches » Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Wouldn’t the salary match be for 17-18 though? All players are guaranteed for 17-18. The trade happens before the season is over.

No, it's the new year's salary(the guaranteed portion) that counts for salary matching after the regular season is over. The cutoff point is the final day of the regular season.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#45 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

stitches wrote:Seems like we wouldn't be able to do that trade for #14 because of this:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/03/how-non-guaranteed-salaries-will-affect-trades-in-new-cba.html

In the new CBA only the guaranteed portions of a contract count toward salary matching purposes. So... yeah... that trade cannot be done it seems.

Wow, I didn't realize this. Completely changes the way I view trades over the next couple of months for the Jazz.

Would it still be possible to waive these players on July 1st and take on salary? Of course, the cap holds of Exum and Favors might render this approach impossible too.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#46 » by KqWIN » Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Unfortunately it seems like this trade cannot be done because in the new CBA only the guaranteed portion of non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract count for salary-matching purposes.

No, it's the new year's salary(the guaranteed portion) that counts for salary matching after the regular season is over. The cutoff point is the final day of the regular season.

Dang. You learn something new everyday.
stitches
RealGM

Post#47 » by stitches » Wed May 30, 2018 6:49 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

Wow, I didn't realize this. Completely changes the way I view trades over the next couple of months for the Jazz.

Would it still be possible to waive these players on July 1st and take on salary? Of course, the cap holds of Exum and Favors might render this approach impossible too.

We can waive them before their guarantee date(July 1st for Thabo and July 9th for Udoh and Jerebko). The capholds of Favors and Exum are the reason we wouldn't be able to generate capspace to take on a contract like Faried.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#48 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Phew...dodged at least one stray bullet to the head of the Nuggets FO :lol:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
stitches
RealGM

Post#49 » by stitches » Wed May 30, 2018 8:13 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Phew...dodged at least one stray bullet to the head of the Nuggets FO :lol:

I mean... you know we have this awesome wing... Alec Burks. And what a coincidence... he went to school in Colorado. How about a homecoming? 14 + Faried for Burks? 8-)
skywalker33

Post#50 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 pm

stitches wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Phew...dodged at least one stray bullet to the head of the Nuggets FO :lol:

I mean... you know we have this awesome wing... Alec Burks. And what a coincidence... he went to school in Colorado. How about a homecoming? 14 + Faried for Burks? 8-)

Awesome isn't the first word I'd use to describe Burks, but pathetic is what I'd describe the Jazz fans DROOLING over themselves to get another Nuggets 1st. :roll:

stitches
RealGM

Post#51 » by stitches » Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stitches wrote:

Awesome isn't the first word I'd use to describe Burks, but pathetic is what I'd describe the Jazz fans DROOLING over themselves to get another Nuggets 1st. :roll:

We apologize. I hope you guys know it's all in jest and no ill-feelings are meant in our jovial monthly "lets trade with the Nuggets again" threads. For what it's worth Arron Afflalo is half of the reason Burks is in this condition right now, so... if your GM wants to make it right, he has our GM's number. :D
skywalker33

Post#52 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:46 pm

stitches wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
stitches wrote:I mean... you know we have this awesome wing... Alec Burks. And what a coincidence... he went to school in Colorado. How about a homecoming? 14 + Faried for Burks? 8-)

We apologize. I hope you guys know it's all in jest and no ill-feelings are meant in our jovial monthly "lets trade with the Nuggets again" threads. For what it's worth Arron Afflalo is half of the reason Burks is in this condition right now, so... if your GM wants to make it right, he has our GM's number. :D

Not like I don't understand, guess I'd want that trade too if roles were reversed. But if it wasn't for the Nuggets, you guys would be at the top of the lottery, just be thankful rather than annoying all the time, it's not like you're Boston fans or something :D

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#53 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Not like I don't understand, guess I'd want that trade too if roles were reversed. But if it wasn't for the Nuggets, you guys would be at the top of the lottery, just be thankful rather than annoying all the time, it's not like you're Boston fans or something :D

We are very thankful. We're just, like:

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#54 » by Daddy 801 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Dang. You learn something new everyday.

Please tell me this isn’t right. So we can’t use these guys in a salary dump trade? Wasn’t that the whole reason these signings happened in the first place?

I’d put the expiring contracts as the only real trade-able asset the Jazz have right now. Or the only one I want to move. This sucks. No wonder the talk from DL is all about internal growth.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#55 » by KqWIN » Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 am

Yeah, those guys not being movable definitely throws a wrench into things. We REALLY are going to have the same team next season. I could see 13 players returning. Crazy.

Does this mean they count as zero salary in trades? Maybe that could be useful.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#56 » by Daddy 801 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 am

Knowing we can’t move those picks it’s pretty obvious what happens i the offseason.

Match Dante’s offer. Resign Favs on a one year deal. Release Thabo due to his injury and age. Sign Mario to a three year deal. Neto walks. New draft pick. Sell second round draft picks. Run the same team back.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
stitches
RealGM

Post#57 » by stitches » Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 am

KqWIN wrote:Yeah, those guys not being movable definitely throws a wrench into things. We REALLY are going to have the same team next season. I could see 13 players returning. Crazy.

They are movable.... they just count as zero salary. It could be useful if some team values those players as positive value and want them and don't have salary cap to absorb them into while not having to send back salary.

Just an example, not suggesting they would do that but for illustration purposes: lets say the Warriors really want Ekpe Udoh and want to give us their no. 28 pick for him. They can do straight up pick for Udoh without sending any salary back because Udoh counts as zero for salary matching.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#58 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 31, 2018 4:28 am

The only way those non guaranteed salaries make sense now is if we get a free agent like Paul George, is it against NBA by-laws to have DL ask DM what Paul George’s plans are and if he is interested in Utah?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#59 » by Daddy 801 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:43 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Yeah, those guys not being movable definitely throws a wrench into things. We REALLY are going to have the same team next season. I could see 13 players returning. Crazy.

They are movable.... they just count as zero salary. It could be useful if some team values those players as positive value and want them and don't have salary cap to absorb them into while not having to send back salary.

Just an example, not suggesting they would do that but for illustration purposes: lets say the Warriors really want Ekpe Udoh and want to give us their no. 28 pick for him. They can do straight up pick for Udoh without sending any salary back because Udoh counts as zero for salary matching.

Ok. I can see Udoh and Jerebko having value then. Late picks like you suggested. Maybe Houston trades their current bench and future picks for LeBron and then is willing to send us a pick for Udoh and Jerebko to round out their bench. I’d be willing to trade for Eric Gordon as well.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#60 » by KqWIN » Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 am

Staying pat is the best move for preserving the cap space in 2019, but at the same time I think shaking up a few things just to try something new would be a worthwhile gamble.

Bringing back Favors seems like a, "why the hell not", proposition because he'll likely come super cheap...but letting him go and replacing him with a different type of player may be the only way to freshen up the roster and see if something else works better. Tagging in Bjelica, Parker, Mario, Bertans etc would at least give us a different look with more potential.

Return to Utah Jazz