Gobert for KAT

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Gobert for KAT 

Post#1 » by sipclip » Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 am

Supposedly there is a little bit of friction going on with Towns. Would you consider moving Gobert for KAT and Diengs contract? As much as I love Gobert I think I would have to do it. The idea of building around 2 big time scorers in Mitchell and KAT would be too hard to pass up. Then re-sign Favors who would be a better fit with Towns since Towns is capable of spacing the floor. Defensively it is a big drop off but I know Towns has the potential to be pretty damn good defensively and I think he will eventually get there. The funny part about Towns is that he was incredible defensively in college but in the nba he has been primarily focused on his offense.

From the wolves perspective they get the best defensive player in the league which Thibs would love and it allows their new 30 million dollar man in Wiggins to get the usage to possibly justify that contract.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Gobert for KAT 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 19, 2018 3:14 am

I wouldn’t do it, Gobert has a winners mindset.
Ingles is cooked.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#3 » by TNJazz » Sat May 19, 2018 3:28 am

Agree with GR on this. Gobert has intangibles and the heart pf best with a chip and an ax to grind. KAT is a terrific layer, but he isn't being talked about as a DPY or any other top tier category. How about sign and trade Favors plus some of the other non guaranteed contracts, Burks, etc as needed to make it work. Us KAT as we did Favors at PF since he truly can space the floor, then bring him in as the backup Center. That would be an unstoppable force for48 minutes.

OK so I'm a bit dizzy with this dream!
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#4 » by Luigi » Sat May 19, 2018 3:55 am

Gobert is much better. Don't forget round 1. Round 2 showed us we need some offensive adjustments, and probably another star. But giving up on interior defense is foolish.

And this is from a guy who loves post play (I miss Alberto Grande all the time).
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#5 » by vryadli » Sat May 19, 2018 5:41 am

sipclip wrote:Supposedly there is a little bit of friction going on with Towns. Would you consider moving Gobert for KAT and Diengs contract? As much as I love Gobert I think I would have to do it. The idea of building around 2 big time scorers in Mitchell and KAT would be too hard to pass up. Then re-sign Favors who would be a better fit with Towns since Towns is capable of spacing the floor. Defensively it is a big drop off but I know Towns has the potential to be pretty damn good defensively and I think he will eventually get there. The funny part about Towns is that he was incredible defensively in college but in the nba he has been primarily focused on his offense.

From the wolves perspective they get the best defensive player in the league which Thibs would love and it allows their new 30 million dollar man in Wiggins to get the usage to possibly justify that contract.

Sure, the team with 2 big time scorers will sell more T-shirts. As for getting wins - not so much. OKC and Cleveland can prove it pretty convincingly.

But what a hell, selling shirts is exciting sport too!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#6 » by CAE15 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

Much rather buy low on Wiggins and turn Quin and Johnnie on him and have him realize his immense potential. I love Kat but Gobert is better and more impactful. There's plenty of guys in this league who can score. There's not many that can take away scoring. Gobert does that. Kat can score in a multitude of ways but still has a ton of room to grow defensively. Rudy just needs to get one solid post move to being even more impactful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#7 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm

CAE15 wrote:Much rather buy low on Wiggins and turn Quin and Johnnie on him and have him realize his immense potential. I love Kat but Gobert is better and more impactful. There's plenty of guys in this league who can score. There's not many that can take away scoring. Gobert does that. Kat can score in a multitude of ways but still has a ton of room to grow defensively. Rudy just needs to get one solid post move to being even more impactful.

Wiggins has problems fitting in with Butler on offense, so same can happen with Mitchell. But then again Wolves have a poor coach so who knows what can be in Utah.
sipclip
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: Gobert for KAT 

Post#8 » by sipclip » Sat May 19, 2018 12:43 pm

vryadli wrote:
sipclip wrote:Supposedly there is a little bit of friction going on with Towns. Would you consider moving Gobert for KAT and Diengs contract? As much as I love Gobert I think I would have to do it. The idea of building around 2 big time scorers in Mitchell and KAT would be too hard to pass up. Then re-sign Favors who would be a better fit with Towns since Towns is capable of spacing the floor. Defensively it is a big drop off but I know Towns has the potential to be pretty damn good defensively and I think he will eventually get there. The funny part about Towns is that he was incredible defensively in college but in the nba he has been primarily focused on his offense.

Sure, the team with 2 big time scorers will sell more T-shirts. As for getting wins - not so much. OKC and Cleveland can prove it pretty convincingly.

Yeah because teams like the rockets and warriors don't have 2 big time scorers as well.

Based on these posts I don't think some of you realize just how good KAT is. I love Gobert but KAT is incredible right now and still only 22.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#9 » by MHSL82 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:09 pm

I watch sports for a different reason and it suits me because we have never won a championship. What I mean is this: I would rather win or lose with our guys than win with someone else. That sounds stupid for sports, but sports don't serve that purpose for me.

It doesn't mean I don't support any trades or don't look at free agency as a good thing, it just means that I like to keep the players I like and who play well even though there are better players out there.

For example, there are better players than Favors, but I like that we kept him. I like Gobert and I like Exum. If the front office does trades those players, I will try to like the players we get, but it wouldn't be as exciting as it "should."

Now, obviously, if we could trade Burks or someone else for something good, I would be all for it. It's not that I don't like Burks, I think I make an exception for good consistent players that want to be here. But if they aren't are best players, then I see that it has to be done. I know, my view is convoluted and not consistent for all players, I'm just saying that I would be willing to sacrifice potential of better players for keeping our best players.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#10 » by vryadli » Sat May 19, 2018 1:31 pm

sipclip wrote:
vryadli wrote:

Yeah because teams like the rockets and warriors don't have 2 big time scorers as well.

Based on these posts I don't think some of you realize just how good KAT is. I love Gobert but KAT is incredible right now and still only 22.

Seriously? You count Chris Pail just as "a scorer" ? And even with CP ,how they would they fare without Capella against healthy Jazz in PO?

If you not defend with passion on 22 you will never become elite defender. Look on career of Blake Griffin. A lot of scorign, sold shirts and press attention. And how much winning? Gosh, Clippers almost fared BETTER when he leaved this year!
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#11 » by El Hespiritu » Sat May 19, 2018 1:55 pm

I love Karl-Anthony Pueblos.

Would I give Rudy for him?

Not in a million years.
I would give not even Favors.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#12 » by CallMeKahn » Sat May 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Utah can get scorers either via the draft, FA, or a trade that doesn't involve DM or Gobert. We aren't in a rebuild mode, but retool. Utah passes on this.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm

I'd do it. Gobert is the player right now and maybe for awhile, but KAT is young, has a higher ceiling, and is more versatile in the playoffs. Obviously it didn't pan out quite that well in these playoffs, but KAT has much more potential to be a problem for HOU and GSW than Gobert does.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 19, 2018 4:28 pm

You just have DL sell his soul to the devil and we have a big 3 of Gobert, DM, and KAT.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#15 » by sipclip » Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:I love Karl-Anthony Pueblos.

Not in a million years.

Stop it. No one in there right mind would take Favors over Towns.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#16 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 pm

sipclip wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:I love Karl-Anthony Pueblos.

Not in a million years.

Stop it. No one in there right mind would take Favors over Towns.

Thibs might :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#17 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

This would be something that would have to be seriously considered. Gobert has an amazing impact on defense in the paint, but is limited in other aspects of his game and can be exploited.
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by CAE15 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Utah's defense is all about funneling everything into Gobert and taking away easy attempts at the rim. If you swap Rudy out for Kat we would need to defend in a much different way and more than likely a less successful way. Kat is not the rim protector that Rudy is. Jazz need a stretch big to compliment Rudy not a stretch big to replace him. Jazz aren't going to out warrior or out rocket those teams. Jazz need to lock in on defense and play their inspired team basketball but we need others to be able to create for themselves so teams can't key in on Mitchell. Kat would help. But at the cost of losing Gobert, it's just not worth it.

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#19 » by Daddy 801 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:14 pm

KAT is already a top ten offensive player. He is amazing. I love Gobert but if we can get Towns we do it.

And count me out on Wiggins. He is bloody expensive for what he does. And he would be our second or third offensive option and he would be upset just like he is in Minnesota.

We can get more defensive minded players and adjust our system. But Towns and Donny would be competing between the two of them for a scoring title in a few years.

I also see KAT’s impact being sustainable for much longer than Goberts defensive impact. Once Rudy hits 29-31 he will most likely have a huge drop off on the defensive side and once he does his impact is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by CAE15 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:KAT is already a top ten offensive player. He is amazing. I love Gobert but if we can get Towns we do it.

And count me out on Wiggins. He is bloody expensive for what he does. And he would be our second or third offensive option and he would be upset just like he is in Minnesota.

We can get more defensive minded players and adjust our system. But Towns and Donny would be competing between the two of them for a scoring title in a few years.

I also see KAT’s impact being sustainable for much longer than Goberts defensive impact. Once Rudy hits 29-31 he will most likely have a huge drop off on the defensive side and once he does his impact is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Wiggins would undoubtedly be the 2nd option behind Mitchell. I don't have a clue who you think he would be behind, Ingles or Rubio?

Gobert will age fine because his length and defensive intangibles is what makes him so great. He has such a high defensive basketball IQ even if he loses some athleticism. He'll still be able to anchor a defense. Think Mutombo later on in his career but that's still 5 years away or further. That's an eternity in the NBA. Don't confuse KAT with AD. He can absolutely be a force on the offensive end but if he's giving up those same points to his matchup. What does it matter?

Return to Utah Jazz