Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya, DelaneyRudd

User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,230
And1: 5,422
Joined: May 31, 2012

Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:34 pm

The offseason has officially begun with some big moves.

And what does Phoenix need Ariza for? And just for 1 season?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,425
And1: 5,976
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#2 » by stitches » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The offseason has officially begun with some big moves.

And what does Phoenix need Ariza for? And just for 1 season?

I like that deal. Vet and good vet at that to infuse some leadership, experience and defensive attitude that they were sorely lacking on their young roster. Also... mentor to Bridges who is being compared to... Ariza.

They can field a lineup of Booker-Jackson-Bridges-Ariza-Ayton. I LOVE THIS! Replace Jackson with Okobo and you get a lineup with insane spacing.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,230
And1: 5,422
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:46 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The offseason has officially begun with some big moves.

And what does Phoenix need Ariza for? And just for 1 season?

I like that deal. Vet and good vet at that to infuse some leadership, experience and defensive attitude that they were sorely lacking on their young roster. Also... mentor to Bridges who is being compared to... Ariza.

They can field a lineup of Booker-Jackson-Bridges-Ariza-Ayton. I LOVE THIS! Replace Jackson with Okobo and you get a lineup with insane spacing.

If they value his leadership so much then they should have signed him for more than one season. They only reason I like it is that it weakens the Rockets, should we meet them in the playoffs again. But that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it weakens the Rockets should they meet the Warriors again.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,425
And1: 5,976
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#4 » by stitches » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The offseason has officially begun with some big moves.

And what does Phoenix need Ariza for? And just for 1 season?

I like that deal. Vet and good vet at that to infuse some leadership, experience and defensive attitude that they were sorely lacking on their young roster. Also... mentor to Bridges who is being compared to... Ariza.

They can field a lineup of Booker-Jackson-Bridges-Ariza-Ayton. I LOVE THIS! Replace Jackson with Okobo and you get a lineup with insane spacing.

If they value his leadership so much then they should have signed him for more than one season. They only reason I like it is that it weakens the Rockets, should we meet them in the playoffs again. But that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it weakens the Rockets should they meet the Warriors again.

Maybe he didn't want to sign for more. maybe they didn't want to sign him for more... he's 33 going on 34. I actually like it better at 1 year than at 3. I am not sure he wanted 2.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,230
And1: 5,422
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:12 pm

stitches wrote:Maybe he didn't want to sign for more. maybe they didn't want to sign him for more... he's 33 going on 34. I actually like it better at 1 year than at 3. I am not sure he wanted 2.


It does help the Warriors though.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,108
And1: 4,530
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:38 pm

There's no way Dante is getting more than FVV.

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
Analyst
Posts: 3,519
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:48 pm

I am not shocked that George re-upped with OKC. Too much was being made of them losing in round one and not enough was made of the fact they were playing without Andre Roberson. I posted an article mid season that argued that defensive stalwart Andre Roberson helps that team on offense (without scoring) as well as defense, much like Gobert does for the Jazz. Roberson only played half the season, but he finished number two behind Gobert for Defensive Real Plus Minus. In addition, George and Adams came in 4th and 12th in the DPOY voting this season. I can understand why George might believe that OKC has potential to be better than a first round exit team.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,108
And1: 4,530
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#8 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:52 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:I am not shocked that George re-upped with OKC. Too much was being made of them losing in round one and not enough was made of the fact they were playing without Andre Roberson. I posted an article mid season that effectively argued that defensive stalwart Andre Roberson helps that team on offense as well as defense, much like Gobert does for the Jazz. Roberson only played half the season, but he finished number two behind Gobert for Defensive Real Plus Minus. In addition, George and Adams came in 4th and 12th in the DPOY voting this season. I can see why George probably thinks OKC has potential to be better than a first round exit team.


Fair, but at the same time, he turned down $210M from Indiana so he could go to LA. And now it looks like LA is certain to sign LeBron and are the favorites to land Kawhi as well. You may think OKC is a better spot than it looks, but LA had everything going for them and couldn't even get a meeting with him.
Crunch 99
Analyst
Posts: 3,519
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#9 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:22 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:I am not shocked that George re-upped with OKC. Too much was being made of them losing in round one and not enough was made of the fact they were playing without Andre Roberson. I posted an article mid season that effectively argued that defensive stalwart Andre Roberson helps that team on offense (without scoring) as well as defense, much like Gobert does for the Jazz. Roberson only played half the season, but he finished number two behind Gobert for Defensive Real Plus Minus. In addition, George and Adams came in 4th and 12th in the DPOY voting this season. I can understand why George might believe that OKC has potential to be better than a first round exit team.


Fair, but at the same time, he turned down $210M from Indiana so he could go to LA. And now it looks like LA is certain to sign LeBron and are the favorites to land Kawhi as well. You may think OKC is a better spot than it looks, but LA had everything going for them and couldn't even get a meeting with him.


Good point. That is quite a change of direction. Maybe he decided there was too much drama and uncertainty with LA? Perhaps teaming up with his known teammate and superstar friend Westbrook for at least three years was more attractive than getting involved with a potential Lebron led team where Lebron usually has a hand in personnel moves while typically only making a one year commitment himself.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,108
And1: 4,530
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 1, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm rooting for LeBron to go to Philly with Kawhi. Get some talent in the other conference!
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,407
And1: 2,173
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#11 » by GobertReport » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:14 pm

KqWIN wrote:I'm rooting for LeBron to go to Philly with Kawhi. Get some talent in the other conference!


Yerp!! And the fact the Lakers would continue to suck and Hayward would never make it out of the conference finals.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,407
And1: 2,173
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#12 » by GobertReport » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:14 pm

Lakers fans when no stars sign:




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,425
And1: 5,976
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#13 » by stitches » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter


Oh boy... PHX has a Hayward-Jeremy Evans situation on their hands.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,230
And1: 5,422
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:28 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter


Oh boy... PHX has a Hayward-Jeremy Evans situation on their hands.

Or a Dwill-Brewer situation. It shouldn't matter though. He'll sign the 5-year max and they'll have a 5 year run with him and Ayton at the very least.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,108
And1: 4,530
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#15 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:36 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:I like that deal. Vet and good vet at that to infuse some leadership, experience and defensive attitude that they were sorely lacking on their young roster. Also... mentor to Bridges who is being compared to... Ariza.

They can field a lineup of Booker-Jackson-Bridges-Ariza-Ayton. I LOVE THIS! Replace Jackson with Okobo and you get a lineup with insane spacing.

If they value his leadership so much then they should have signed him for more than one season. They only reason I like it is that it weakens the Rockets, should we meet them in the playoffs again. But that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it weakens the Rockets should they meet the Warriors again.

Maybe he didn't want to sign for more. maybe they didn't want to sign him for more... he's 33 going on 34. I actually like it better at 1 year than at 3. I am not sure he wanted 2.


Ariza secured the bag. Now he can get a buyout and sign a min with the Warriors or Rockets if/when the Suns playoff chase ends.
User avatar
ForeverRDjazz
Rookie
Posts: 1,246
And1: 278
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#16 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:50 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The offseason has officially begun with some big moves.

And what does Phoenix need Ariza for? And just for 1 season?

It's hurts Rockets as much as it helps Suns...Win Win for Jazz and rest the teams in the west. I'd like to see team needing a big make a nice offer to Clint and watch Rocket implode next year.
User avatar
ForeverRDjazz
Rookie
Posts: 1,246
And1: 278
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#17 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:54 pm

Like people said about keeping your powder dry for next year. Max out offer for Clay and watch Warrior implode leaving Jazz at the top. Need to get Favs on a cheap four year deal or one year 20 then cheaper deal after next year when we need to make a splash.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,108
And1: 4,530
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#18 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 1, 2018 11:57 pm

Hot damn!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=21
dr0welf
Analyst
Posts: 3,310
And1: 639
Joined: Jun 16, 2007
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#19 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 2, 2018 12:08 am

What do you think it would cost to get Randle?
dr0welf
Analyst
Posts: 3,310
And1: 639
Joined: Jun 16, 2007
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#20 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 2, 2018 12:09 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Utah Jazz