Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#641 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:43 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Don't know if I like it for the Sixers. I'm assuming they let go of these players with the understanding that Butler will re-sign with them, otherwise there is no point to that move. It does accelerate their timetable a bit, but I don't know.

As for the Wolves, I would have taken the 4 first round picks, but Thibs and probably the FO wanted to get players so they could still be competitive. While Saric and Covington can fit and give them depth, I don't know how long either will be staying with the franchise long-term. I wonder if it makes Saric more available now. I don't think the Wolves will be upgraded by this trade in a significant way, though.

Problem with coach being the GM is that all moves are win now moves.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#642 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:03 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Don't know if I like it for the Sixers. I'm assuming they let go of these players with the understanding that Butler will re-sign with them, otherwise there is no point to that move. It does accelerate their timetable a bit, but I don't know.

As for the Wolves, I would have taken the 4 first round picks, but Thibs and probably the FO wanted to get players so they could still be competitive. While Saric and Covington can fit and give them depth, I don't know how long either will be staying with the franchise long-term. I wonder if it makes Saric more available now. I don't think the Wolves will be upgraded by this trade in a significant way, though.

Problem with coach being the GM is that all moves are win now moves.

Indeed. I can't imagine the Wolves fans are happy with Thibs and him trying to turn their team to his old Bulls team with the exact same players, only older and more washed up.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#643 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I have to say I'm confused about the Melo situation in Houston. Didn't he know prior to signing there that coming off the bench might be an option? And what kind of role does he expect to have in any other team? Would he rather start on a bad team? He could still play 30 minutes per game coming off the bench in Houston and be an important part of a contender. And he seems dissatisfied even when he's starting. I don't get it.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#644 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I have to say I'm confused about the Melo situation in Houston. Didn't he know prior to signing there that coming off the bench might be an option? And what kind of role does he expect to have in any other team? Would he rather start on a bad team? He could still play 30 minutes per game coming off the bench in Houston and be an important part of a contender. And he seems dissatisfied even when he's starting. I don't get it.

The new plan for Melo was for him to not play at all. He was not going to be in the rotation period going forward.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,075

Post#645 » by Rauxcee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

No Melo makes the Rockets better.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#646 » by stitches » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Rauxcee wrote:No Melo makes the Rockets better.

What about a LaMelo?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#647 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:34 pm

stitches wrote:

What about a LaMelo?

No LaMelo makes the NBA better.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#648 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:

What about a LaMelo?

No LaMelo makes the NBA better.

:rofl:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#649 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:36 pm

The Nuggets have decided to bring Murray off the bench and move up their second year player, Morris, to the starting lineup. I don't think it makes Murray more available at this point, but I think Murray would be a great fit on the Jazz.

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#650 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Random observations: If there was a contest for Sophomore of the Year, Sacramento's De'Aaron Fox would be ahead of DM this season. Fox is killing it: 18.7 ppg on 50.8% shooting and 44.2% from three, 7.1 apg, 4.4 reb, 1.3 spg nd 3.2 tovs. Also, Sac's Bjelica, a potential Jazz target a lot of people here mentioned, is shooting lights out as well: 12.2 ppg on 52% shooting and 51% from three in 26 mpg.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#651 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 pm

It's pretty interesting reading the reaction to Boston's slow start. They have different struggles than the Jazz, but seem to have the same root cause. It was easier on their players to play with no expectations. Now they just expect success to happen and don't have the same effort level that allowed them to overachieve in the first place.

The 50 point blowout may have been a blessing in disguise. The Jazz have played much harder the last two games. Boston needs their own wake up call.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#652 » by Luigi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 am

A lot of people are calling Denver crazy. I haven't been watching closely, how is it working out for them?

What do you think Bjelica is worth the the Jazz?

Boston was another defense first kind of team, too. I wonder if their physical brand of defense is being handcuffed in this year's freedom of movement NBA like I think it is ours.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#653 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Luigi wrote:A lot of people are calling Denver crazy. I haven't been watching closely, how is it working out for them?

Boston was another defense first kind of team, too. I wonder if their physical brand of defense is being handcuffed in this year's freedom of movement NBA like I think it is ours.

Boston is #1 on defense and actually doing better than last season on that end.

#27 on offense is what’s killing them.
stitches
RealGM

Post#654 » by stitches » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:A lot of people are calling Denver crazy. I haven't been watching closely, how is it working out for them?

Mastermind Stevens working his magic on offense. I like him but people crowned him way too early. Quin is doing much better with much worse offensive talent.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#655 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:48 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Mastermind Stevens working his magic on offense. I like him but people crowned him way too early. Quin is doing much better with much worse offensive talent.

Boston plays too cute. They have no presence at the rim. 5 out is great, but it’s a hard living when you’re 29th in shots at the rim, 29th in FTr, and 22nd in offensive rebounding rate.

The only time Boston was an above average offense under Stevens was with IT, and he was playing at a super elite level on offense.
stitches
RealGM

Post#656 » by stitches » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:54 pm

KqWIN wrote:...

KqWIN so now that WAS is semi-officially fielding offers for all their players what are the offers you would make? Here are mine:

For Beal: Favors+2 firsts(maybe add Allen too if we have to outbid someone) + expiring filler to match salaries if needed
For Porter: Favors+Allen + expiring filler
I don't want Wall

I am wondering what a good offer for Oubre would be because I think there is unexplored potential there... Maybe Allen for Oubre straight up? Or a couple of seconds? I am not sure I would give up a first for him...
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#657 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:07 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:...

KqWIN so now that WAS is semi-officially fielding offers for all their players what are the offers you would make? Here are mine:

For Beal: Favors+2 firsts(maybe add Allen too if we have to outbid someone) + expiring filler to match salaries if needed
For Porter: Favors+Allen + expiring filler
I don't want Wall

I am wondering what a good offer for Oubre would be because I think there is unexplored potential there... Maybe Allen for Oubre straight up? Or a couple of seconds? I am not sure I would give up a first for him...

I don’t know if we can make the money work, but I’d want to fool WAS into thinking they can be players in FA. I want the whole shabang!

Favors, Rubio (3rd team, PHX w/Ariza?), Exum, Burks, Thabo, picks. (~$60M)

For

Beal, Porter, Mahinmi (~$67M)

How ridiculous is that? :lol:

A real offer won’t be that wild, but I still think the best route would be to help WAS get off of some money.

UTA Out: Favors + Rubio + Burks + Sefalosha + Picks
UTA IN: Beal + Anderson

WAS Out: Beal + Mahinmi
WAS In: Favors + Ariza + Sefalosha +Picks

PHX OUT: Ariza + Anderson
PHX IN: Mahinmi + Rubio
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#658 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:16 am

Take a look at the headlines from Boston. It's uncanny how similar their issues are, but Stevens is just being more vocal about it. Both teams came into the season with expectations based on how much they overachieved the following year. Now they're entitled, expecting to win, but they aren't putting in the work or effort that allowed them to overachieve in the first place.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#659 » by sipclip » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 am

The thunder are looking scary good to me. While we stood pat in the offseason they went out and added some elite athletes through the draft, free agency and trade to shore up their roster. Once they get Roberson back they will be even better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#660 » by Luigi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I saw Schroeder go off last night. He's been a great pickup for them.

The new NBA is all about scorers. We need some.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.

Return to Utah Jazz