Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#721 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Kelly Oubre, a young player that the J Notes mentioned before the season as a potential 2019 RFA target, is starting to put up some impressive stats for his new team at Phoenix. The Suns just beat the Nuggets with Oubre going off for 26 points on 17 attempts with 11 boards, 3 ast and 2 stl.

By the time we face Phoenix four times in the latter half of the season, Phoenix might be a little more competitive than they were the first half of the season. The Jazz should still be able to win the games, and hopefully don't take the Suns too lightly.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#722 » by sipclip » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:09 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Alec having a nice stretch of games.
Last 5: 15/6/3 on 49/48/91 shooting (similar stats over his last 10)
Starting guard: 13/5/3 on 46/46/85 shooting
Alec has been incredible lately and plays so under control. He is in a situation where you would expect him to be a bit of a chucker and look to get his but he is surrounded by so many of those guys that he is focusing on being a team guy and not forcing things. Too bad he is on such a bad team that it won't translate into wins but it sure as hell should translate into a nice payday. He is the kind of player that this jazz team could really use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#723 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 am

Something is wrong with the Thunder. They've lost 5 of their last 6 including losses blowout losses to WAS, ATL, and now a loss to the baby Lakers. They have the hardest remaining schedule in the league.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#724 » by stitches » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

KqWIN wrote:Something is wrong with the Thunder. They've lost 5 of their last 6 including losses blowout losses to WAS, ATL, and now a loss to the baby Lakers. They have the hardest remaining schedule in the league.

They had the reverse of our schedule to start the season(cupcake after cupcake). They are not as good as their record suggests. It's just about to get tough on them. This is the general eyeopener of the season for me - SOS probably matters much more for the record at any time during the season than I ever gave it credit for. In the middle it probably has marginal effect but when you take the two ends of the spectrum, the difference of the pressure it puts on your team is tremendous.

Here's a hot take - we will finish ahead of them in the West when it's said and done.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#725 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Trade talks about DSJ are heating up. If the Jazz can't trade for a star of sign one in free agency, then this type of move might be the next best thing. Get a 2nd year guy with tons of potential that is in an awkward situation and could break out in the right situation. He's young, he's got a lot of potential, he's skilled, and he's only on his 2nd year of his rookie contract, and he plays in a position of relative need. I'd prioritize trading for him over going after most of the free agents the Jazz are likely to look at. And his contract is actually small enough to allow the Jazz to still give a max offer in free agency if they don't take on too much salary in a trade.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#726 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm

i'm thinking
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Something is wrong with the Thunder. They've lost 5 of their last 6 including losses blowout losses to WAS, ATL, and now a loss to the baby Lakers. They have the hardest remaining schedule in the league.

They had the reverse of our schedule to start the season(cupcake after cupcake). They are not as good as their record suggests. It's just about to get tough on them. This is the general eyeopener of the season for me - SOS probably matters much more for the record at any time during the season than I ever gave it credit for. In the middle it probably has marginal effect but when you take the two ends of the spectrum, the difference of the pressure it puts on your team is tremendous.

Here's a hot take - we will finish ahead of them in the West when it's said and done.

I'm thinking about even hotter takes but no need to jinx 8-)
stitches
RealGM

Post#727 » by stitches » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Trade talks about DSJ are heating up. If the Jazz can't trade for a star of sign one in free agency, then this type of move might be the next best thing. Get a 2nd year guy with tons of potential that is in an awkward situation and could break out in the right situation. He's young, he's got a lot of potential, he's skilled, and he's only on his 2nd year of his rookie contract, and he plays in a position of relative need. I'd prioritize trading for him over going after most of the free agents the Jazz are likely to look at. And his contract is actually small enough to allow the Jazz to still give a max offer in free agency if they don't take on too much salary in a trade.

Rubio for DSJ and Powell... who says no?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#728 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Trade talks about DSJ are heating up. If the Jazz can't trade for a star of sign one in free agency, then this type of move might be the next best thing. Get a 2nd year guy with tons of potential that is in an awkward situation and could break out in the right situation. He's young, he's got a lot of potential, he's skilled, and he's only on his 2nd year of his rookie contract, and he plays in a position of relative need. I'd prioritize trading for him over going after most of the free agents the Jazz are likely to look at. And his contract is actually small enough to allow the Jazz to still give a max offer in free agency if they don't take on too much salary in a trade.

Rubio for DSJ and Powell... who says no?

Powell might have more value to the Mavs than Rubio. I suppose Rubio could help them push for the playoffs, but I can’t imagine he has much long term value to them through trade when they can sign him in the summer. Maybe they think Rubio can make a real impact in their playoff chase, but IMO they say no pretty quickly.

To get DSJ I think you need to send a first, even if it’s a bad one. How about Rubio + Top 21 protected for DSJ and Matthews?

For the record, I’m low on DSJ strictly as a player to go on top of my major concerns with his character/team.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#729 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm

stitches wrote:Rubio for DSJ and Powell... who says no?

The Jazz will probably have to throw in a first round pick, which I'd be fine with.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#730 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Wizards Not Interested In Trading Otto Porter For Future Assets, Cap Relief
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252286/Wizards-Not-Interested-In-Trading-Otto-Porter-For-Future-Assets-Cap-Relief

It might be a negotiating stance and it might be real. If it is true, then the Jazz have nothing to offer.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#731 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

I’m sure the Wizards are thinking about upgrading Porter into a singular better player...but Favors+Rubio might have more present value than Porter. Both their starting PG and C are out. Favors at C alone is probably as good or better than Porter.

I don’t think they would accept, but I think that deal makes them better today and clears Porter off the books if they are concerned with his contract.
stitches
RealGM

Post#732 » by stitches » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Wizards Not Interested In Trading Otto Porter For Future Assets, Cap Relief
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252286/Wizards-Not-Interested-In-Trading-Otto-Porter-For-Future-Assets-Cap-Relief

It might be a negotiating stance and it might be real. If it is true, then the Jazz have nothing to offer.

We should offer them a win-now package then. Favors+Rubio gives them 2 starters.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#733 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Favors and Rubio are essentially cap relief, since Rubio expires at the end of the season and Favors has a team option, and according to the report the Wizards are not interested in cap relief.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#734 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Favors and Rubio are essentially cap relief, since Rubio expires at the end of the season and Favors has a team option, and according to the report the Wizards are not interested in cap relief.

They are cap relief, but also two starters that would help them right now.
stitches
RealGM

Post#735 » by stitches » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 pm

stitches
RealGM

Post#736 » by stitches » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Favors is not cap relief. Favors is above average starting center... and he's tied to a good contract for next year if you want him. Rubio is immediate starter at PG too. And you can resign him if you want to...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#737 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:39 pm

stitches wrote:Favors is not cap relief. Favors is above average starting center... and he's tied to a good contract for next year if you want him. Rubio is immediate starter at PG too. And you can resign him if you want to...

They are both decent players but it feels like a very short-term move for the Wizards to make. Regarding Rubio, they will not have any guarantee that he'll re-sign, it's not like they can re-sign him if they want to--he'll have a say in it too as a UFA, especially since the Wizards have Wall who is unlikely to be moved and who'll be the starter for as long as he's there. Very doubtful that Rubio will want to re-sign there and be his backup, and take a smaller contract to boot. Which makes him a cap relief move that they said they don't want. As for Favors, everyone here complained the Jazz overpaid him so his contract is only good mostly in terms of the control the team has over his contract because his next season is not guaranteed, which make it valuable only if the team chooses to not pick it up, making it a cap relief move. Or, the the team does pick up his next season, which still makes him an expiring UFA, which still makes it a short-term cap relief move.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#738 » by KqWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

You can make the argument that Favors, playing 100% C, is the best player in the trade. But it doesn’t work that way in practice because his numbers are sabotaged by minutes standing in the corner as a 4.

The thing to remember with the Wiz is that they are $5M over the tax. Rubio+Favors puts them even more over. Favors + Thabo could send them under if they add someone like Sam Dekker our way.

The other way to get under is Rubio+Thabo+Favors for Porter+Mahinmi.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#739 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:Favors is not cap relief. Favors is above average starting center... and he's tied to a good contract for next year if you want him. Rubio is immediate starter at PG too. And you can resign him if you want to...

They are both decent players but it feels like a very short-term move for the Wizards to make. Regarding Rubio, they will not have any guarantee that he'll re-sign, it's not like they can re-sign him if they want to--he'll have a say in it too as a UFA, especially since the Wizards have Wall who is unlikely to be moved and who'll be the starter for as long as he's there. Very doubtful that Rubio will want to re-sign there and be his backup, and take a smaller contract to boot. Which makes him a cap relief move that they said they don't want. As for Favors, everyone here complained the Jazz overpaid him so his contract is only good mostly in terms of the control the team has over his contract because his next season is not guaranteed, which make it valuable only if the team chooses to not pick it up, making it a cap relief move. Or, the the team does pick up his next season, which still makes him an expiring UFA, which still makes it a short-term cap relief move.

I saw that headline and was a little bummed as I believe Porter might be the best player the Jazz could reasonably get and that fits well with the team/offense. However, it is hard to know if it is a ploy and/or if things could change if the Wiz go on a losing streak and look out of the playoffs over the next few weeks.

I do agree, though, that Favors, and particularly Rubio, are win now but probably not viewed as future assets.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#740 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 am

stitches wrote:

Most of the western conference is taking a step back right now while we feast on this easy schedule. I don't see any reason why we can't keep it up though with Gobert playing the best ball of his career and Mitchell looking the healthiest he has been all year. It is disappointing that Exum isn't around during this stretch with the way he was playing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz