Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#761 » by Luigi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Lakers must be going bananas right now
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#762 » by stitches » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Luigi wrote:Lakers must be going bananas right now

I **** hate big market teams and the **** they can get away with.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#763 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 pm

stitches wrote:
Luigi wrote:Lakers must be going bananas right now

I **** hate big market teams and the **** they can get away with.

Pelicans just need to trade him to a team in the East.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#764 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:00 pm

The pelicans would be stupid to trade him this season since the celtics aren't able to make an offer because you are only able to have one player on the roster with Kyrie and Davis's type of contract. Once the offseason hits the celtics will be able to make a massive offer that other teams will have to compete with. I would on the other hand start to clear out the rest of the roster for the tank this year and simply tell Davis to go home. Him going home will have zero effect on his value. Everyone knows he is a special talent.
stitches
RealGM

Post#765 » by stitches » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Interesting that there are rumors that the Knicks will try to be aggressive in pursuing AD. I wonder if that means including Porzingis in a trade for AD.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#766 » by TO11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 pm

sipclip wrote:The pelicans would be stupid to trade him this season since the celtics aren't able to make an offer because you are only able to have one player on the roster with Kyrie and Davis's type of contract. Once the offseason hits the celtics will be able to make a massive offer that other teams will have to compete with. I would on the other hand start to clear out the rest of the roster for the tank this year and simply tell Davis to go home. Him going home will have zero effect on his value. Everyone knows he is a special talent.

The only reason he is wanting a trade is so he can get a supermax contract right? Otherwise he could just sign as a FA without any trade?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#767 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:08 pm

TO11 wrote:
sipclip wrote:The pelicans would be stupid to trade him this season since the celtics aren't able to make an offer because you are only able to have one player on the roster with Kyrie and Davis's type of contract. Once the offseason hits the celtics will be able to make a massive offer that other teams will have to compete with. I would on the other hand start to clear out the rest of the roster for the tank this year and simply tell Davis to go home. Him going home will have zero effect on his value. Everyone knows he is a special talent.

The only reason he is wanting a trade is so he can get a supermax contract right? Otherwise he could just sign as a FA without any trade?

I don't think the supermax has anything to do with it. I doubt he signs for more than 3yrs no matter where he goes. He is also not a free agent until 2020 so leaving as a free agent won't happen. At the latest he will be traded this offseason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#768 » by TO11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm

sipclip wrote:
TO11 wrote:

I don't think the supermax has anything to do with it. I doubt he signs for more than 3yrs no matter where he goes. He is also not a free agent until 2020 so leaving as a free agent won't happen. At the latest he will be traded this offseason.

Ahh ok, I didn’t realize he was under contract another year. That makes sense.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Post#769 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:03 pm

sipclip wrote:The pelicans would be stupid to trade him this season since the celtics aren't able to make an offer because you are only able to have one player on the roster with Kyrie and Davis's type of contract.

I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to have two players on the roster with that type of contract. It is not possible for one team to sign two players from its roster to this type of contract, but it is possible to sign one player and trade for the other, who was signed to this type of contract by another team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#770 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
sipclip wrote:The pelicans would be stupid to trade him this season since the celtics aren't able to make an offer because you are only able to have one player on the roster with Kyrie and Davis's type of contract.

I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to have two players on the roster with that type of contract. It is not possible for one team to sign two players from its roster to this type of contract, but it is possible to sign one player and trade for the other, who was signed to this type of contract by another team.
Nope. The rule is that you can only have one Rose rule contract on your team at a time. The celtics can't do anything until Irving becomes a free agent in the offseason. Unless of course they want to trade Irving now.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#771 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:10 pm

sipclip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Nope. The rule is that you can only have one Rose rule contract on your team at a time. The celtics can't do anything until Irving becomes a free agent in the offseason. Unless of course they want to trade Irving now.

I can't find this stipulation. Link?
I IIRC you can sign only one player to the contract. Trading for the other should be okay.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#772 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:12 pm

I don't have a link but you can go to the general board and it is mentioned constantly in the Davis thread.

sipclip
Head Coach

Post#773 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to have two players on the roster with that type of contract. It is not possible for one team to sign two players from its roster to this type of contract, but it is possible to sign one player and trade for the other, who was signed to this type of contract by another team.

I IIRC you can sign only one player to the contract. Trading for the other should be okay.
My understanding is the same as yours that you can sign one and can trade for one. The issue with the celtics is that they already traded for one in Irving so they aren't allowed to trade for another one. Pretty stupid rule in my opinion.

stitches
RealGM

Post#774 » by stitches » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to have two players on the roster with that type of contract. It is not possible for one team to sign two players from its roster to this type of contract, but it is possible to sign one player and trade for the other, who was signed to this type of contract by another team.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie and one designated veteran may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

Kyrie is the first acquired player on a designated rookie extension. They cannot have another one until that contract is not on their books anymore.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#775 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 pm

stitches wrote:Interesting that there are rumors that the Knicks will try to be aggressive in pursuing AD. I wonder if that means including Porzingis in a trade for AD.

How would you rank these assets:

NYK 2019 1st
Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Ball
Ingram
Kuzma
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#776 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm

sipclip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
sipclip wrote:Nope. The rule is that you can only have one Rose rule contract on your team at a time. The celtics can't do anything until Irving becomes a free agent in the offseason. Unless of course they want to trade Irving now.

My understanding is the same as yours that you can sign one and can trade for one. The issue with the celtics is that they already traded for one in Irving so they aren't allowed to trade for another one. Pretty stupid rule in my opinion.

stitches wrote:Kyrie is the first acquired player on a designated rookie extension. They cannot have another one until that contract is not on their books anymore.

Ah, now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

stitches
RealGM

Post#777 » by stitches » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Interesting that there are rumors that the Knicks will try to be aggressive in pursuing AD. I wonder if that means including Porzingis in a trade for AD.

NYK 2019 1st
Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Ball
Ingram
Kuzma

At draft day or today for AD?
Cuz if NYK don't have AD for the remainder of the season I will value it higher? lets assume that's the case.

Tatum>Porzingis>NYK 2019 1st>Brown>Ingram>Kuzma>Ball
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#778 » by KqWIN » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

NYK 2019 1st
Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Ball
Ingram
Kuzma

Cuz if NYK don't have AD for the remainder of the season I will value it higher? lets assume that's the case.

Hmm...draft day does make more sense.

I think I’d have it the same way except 1st>Porzingis and Ball>Ingram>Kuzma.

Where would you place Zion and RJ Barrett in that list?
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#779 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm

KqWIN wrote:

NYK 2019 1st
Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Ball
Ingram
Kuzma
Don't forget to throw in Knox as well to that list. I have a bit of an obsession with him though. I think he would be the perfect longterm fit at the 4 spot for us.

As far as the rankings go I think the Knicks are pretty damn strong. I have Tatum 1st but I would probably put Zinger and the Knicks pick 2nd and 3rd. Then you have 4 guys in Ingram, Kuzma, Brown and Ball that are pretty damn close together. I probably like ball more than most people though. I would also put Knox in that group.

stitches
RealGM

Post#780 » by stitches » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:32 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

NYK 2019 1st
Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Ball
Ingram
Kuzma

Hmm...draft day does make more sense.

I think I’d have it the same way except 1st>Porzingis and Ball>Ingram>Kuzma.

Where would you place Zion and RJ Barrett in that list?

Zion between Tatum and Porzingis
RJ Barrett between NYK 2019 1st and Brown

Return to Utah Jazz