Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#841 » by Rauxcee » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:12 am

I'd love to have KP, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable giving up 3 or 4 draft picks. 2? Sure. But anymore than that... I don't think I would. Someone posted on the general board that he's missed 40% of his career due to injury. Giving up that many draft picks to a guy who is going to average 60-70% games played is a lot. Not counting the money he'd ask for.

If he does sign a 1 year QO and become a FA that would be very interesting to see what happens.
I would love to have him though. I also don't think we had the assets to get them.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#842 » by Luigi » Fri Feb 1, 2019 3:25 am

The injury history is worrying. But I think those numbers are inflated by a NYK team that wanted to tank.

More than that, I think we have to acknowledge that all stars have a weakness. Butler is confrontational. Leonard is unpredictable. Griffin is a douche. Porzingis is injury ridden. Any top 20 player has foibles. I still take any of them.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#843 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 1, 2019 3:48 am

Giving up that many draft picks to a guy who is going to average 60-70% games played is a lot. Not counting the money he'd ask for.

The games KP played showed MVP type talent on both ends of the court and he's still only 23 yrs old. ACL's are being overcome by all the young athletes as Utah fanz have seen with Exum, he's as fast as anyone in the NBA still. If you pay attn to other teams ,pay attn to Harry Giles who's had 3 ACL's ,that kid still has springs in his legs. So it's a great gamble on Dallas part if KP comes back the end of this year or beginning of next year and having potentially the best young duo in the NBA.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#844 » by vryadli » Fri Feb 1, 2019 4:00 am

Luigi wrote:The injury history is worrying. But I think those numbers are inflated by a NYK team that wanted to tank.

More than that, I think we have to acknowledge that all stars have a weakness. Butler is confrontational. Leonard is unpredictable. Griffin is a douche. Porzingis is injury ridden. Any top 20 player has foibles. I still take any of them.

Not Lebron in prime or Durant. There were more in past - like Dunkan or Kareem or Larry. Or our Malone and Stocton. But those are in a league of their own. Like superstars+
vryadli
Rookie

Post#845 » by vryadli » Fri Feb 1, 2019 4:31 am

So... loyalty pays off for human beings.
--------------------------------------------

It is already done deal that Hayward just killed his basketball karma. Stay with Utah, with his IQ and work ethic he will be legitimate star, may be even with chances for Hall of Fame. I can't judge about money, but most likely he would be better of money-wise too.

But he was too clever for his own sake.

Now I follow similar development of Kahwi case. In Spurs he would be locked up Hall of Famer, perennual MVP candidate.. Now when Raptor is not any better than before, he is no more than afterthought in MVP race: more because of the Spurs past than because of Raptor present.

(Again. I don't know about money. but in any case fellas like Duncan wasn't so awfully worried about for squeezing every available penny from their NBA carrier... I think they didn't lost anything on the final account, but I believe they were prepared to exchange a few millions for legacy and good karma/conscience)

That is going on higher lever, but he also was too clever for his own sake.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#846 » by sipclip » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:52 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Stars are getting traded all the time, but they aren’t being move for big time assets. They’re getting moved for packages that include good vets on good deals and good prospects. Teams are taking 4 quarters for their dollar (Star).

Do the Jazz have any quarters? Maybe the Jazz get some this summer with the intention to trade them later.

The problem is...the players that were supposed to be quarters for us(the late firsts) turned into Tony Bradley and Grayson Allen. And the players we get in FA won't be considered great assets because by the nature of being a small market we will have to overpay to get good free agents.
This is where Lindsey has really shot us in the foot. He throws away a 1st rd pick for a Hill rental. Then he throws away another 1st rd pick for Rubio when Thibs was desperate to get rid of him and there is no doubt in my mind we could have gotten him for capspace if we stayed patient. Then of course there is the Bradley debacle and Allen with very little value. Those 4 assets could have been great trade filler but instead we have nothing to show for it. How differently would we view this team if we had gotten Dejounte Murray with the Hill pick who rumors were the jazz really liked. Taurean Prince also would have looked pretty damn good. Then instead of Bradley we are looking at maybe Bolden, Jorden Bell, Hart, Derrick White or Frank Jackson. Lots of good talent to choose from. Then in this last draft we would have had 20 which was the thunder pick and then our pick which probably still would have been around 21. Simons was by far my top choice and if you go with a wing like Simons, Shamet or Okogie then you likely go with either a larger wing like Hutchinson or Musa or a stretch big like Wagner or Spellman. Unfortunately it is all a bad dream.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#847 » by stitches » Fri Feb 1, 2019 4:52 pm

I love in how much Boston is **** brix right now.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#848 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:07 pm

Irving can kiss his career goodbye if he chooses to go to the Knicks, especially over the Celtics. He'll be consigning himself to irrelevancy.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#849 » by stitches » Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:12 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Irving can kiss his career goodbye if he chooses to go to the Knicks, especially over the Celtics. He'll be consigning himself to irrelevancy.

What if they get AD and KD too?
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#850 » by KqWIN » Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:13 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Irving can kiss his career goodbye if he chooses to go to the Knicks, especially over the Celtics. He'll be consigning himself to irrelevancy.

Even when the Knicks are irrelevant, they are relevant.

Plus, the Knicks opened up two max contract slots with the Porzingis trade. It won’t be Kyrie alone.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#851 » by vryadli » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:31 pm

KqWIN wrote:

Plus, the Knicks opened up two max contract slots with the Porzingis trade. It won’t be Kyrie alone.

Kyrie alone will be enough to drop down... of course, if the team has any heights to drop from. Stat (not-super)star with weak defense in modern NBA, where guards have to score on Harden-Curry level and still to play some defense on opponent guards.... he just get some stats and makes players around him work more with less efficiency. Such players can get you a couple of wins when exceptionally hot but there will be twice that amount in losses when opponent guard will feed of their lazy defense.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#852 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:48 pm

KqWIN wrote:

What I meant by relevant is competitive. He'll have a Melo-type career if he goes there.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#853 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:50 pm

stitches wrote:

What if they get AD and KD too?

It's the Knicks. No way is that happening. AD is looking like he's Lakers-bound. And I don't see why KD would want to leave the Warriors and almost guaranteed championships in favor of a dysfunctional organization like the Knicks. KP wanted out for a reason.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#854 » by zero24gravity » Fri Feb 1, 2019 8:10 pm

The NBA continues to punk-out, by not only kissing the rear ends of it's big markets and top stars, but by making it obvious that they don't even care about the integrity of the league. A $50,000 dollar fine for the Lakers for their SECOND tampering charge, with no other sanctions. $50k for Anthony Davis for a "separate" situation (sorta). Might as well have just said, "now say your sorry", as $50k is like fining me $1. ...And we all know this comment by Magic Johnson is NOTHING compared to what is obviously going on with LBJ, Davis & the Lakers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/02/06/nba-fines-lakers-50-000-for-2nd-tampering-violation/110164774/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/sports/anthony-davis-fine-trade.html

Flashback to what used to happen if you tampered in the NBA. Joe Smith's tampering/illegal contract situation from 20 years ago. I understand it was worse violation, but when you consider the league wide implications of his deal vs. a potential Davis/Lakers deal, and factor for inflation, the punishment for the Lakers/Davis is a joke of epic proportions.

The Timberwolves were fined $3.5 million, and forfeited their first-round draft picks for the next five years (the team’s 2003 pick was eventually restored). Not only was Smith’s newly-signed contract voided, his previous two were as well, meaning he would no longer retain his Bird rights with the Timberwolves. Additionally, Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor was suspended through August 31, 2001, and VP of basketball operations Kevin McHale took a leave of absence through July 31.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#855 » by AingesBurner » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:24 pm

Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#856 » by stitches » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:47 pm

GobertReport wrote:Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Korver.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#857 » by zero24gravity » Tue Feb 5, 2019 8:24 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Korver.

Thank you. People forget so quickly. The Jazz were the FIRST team in the league to make a move to address an issue. Yet still, they are pegged by many fans as "doing nothing". They can't win.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#858 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:01 pm

stitches wrote:

Korver.

That was minor a improvement.
Ingles is cooked.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#859 » by tleikheen » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:09 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Korver.

Playing big as a GM is getting Kawhi and Danny Green and Nick Nurse before the season and then making a play for Conley/Gasol before the trade deadline and being considered the team to beat in the East. Toronto is going for the Championship …..Utah and Lindsey just want to make some noise in the playoffs and play it safe and conservative .
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#860 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:32 pm

tleikheen wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Korver.

Playing big as a GM is getting Kawhi and Danny Green and Nick Nurse before the season and then making a play for Conley/Gasol before the trade deadline and being considered the team to beat in the East. Toronto is going for the Championship …..Utah and Lindsey just want to make some noise in the playoffs and play it safe and conservative .

Read on Twitter

Return to Utah Jazz