Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2018-2019 

Post#861 » by stitches » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:43 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Korver.

That was minor a improvement.

What was Portland's improvement then?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#862 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:44 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Korver.

Hood
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#863 » by stitches » Tue Feb 5, 2019 9:46 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Hood

Yes, but how would you qualify it? If Korver is minor improvement for us, what kind of improvement is Hood for Portland?
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#864 » by vryadli » Tue Feb 5, 2019 10:09 pm

tleikheen wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Korver.

Playing big as a GM is getting Kawhi and Danny Green and Nick Nurse before the season and then making a play for Conley/Gasol before the trade deadline and being considered the team to beat in the East. Toronto is going for the Championship …..Utah and Lindsey just want to make some noise in the playoffs and play it safe and conservative .

Do they now give the championship for the team which made biggest trades? If so, Raptors are a strong contender. Otherwise it will be rather GS and Bucks.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#865 » by Rauxcee » Tue Feb 5, 2019 11:11 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Hood

If Korver was a minor improvement, then Hood was an infinitesimal improvement.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#866 » by vryadli » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:39 am

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Hood

Good joke!
vryadli
Rookie

Post#867 » by vryadli » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:41 am

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:What was Portland's improvement then?

Hood

Yes, but how would you qualify it? If Korver is minor improvement for us, what kind of improvement is Hood for Portland?

negative or - in best case - zero. No defense, extremely volatile scoring = equal or less to zero.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#868 » by Cappy_Smurf » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:42 am

GobertReport wrote:Portland improves their bench, pretty much every team in our division has improved except us....

Lmao at Hood being an improvement that counts, but Korver doesn't.

I guess when you're really focused on complaining constantly about something, you can just make **** up anyway you feel you need to fit your narrative.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#869 » by Cappy_Smurf » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:38 am

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/25931821

With Brandon Ingram shooting free throws, Pacer fans chant "Lebron's gonna trade you!"

Brutal. Lakers get blown out by the Dipo-less Pacers by 42 points.

Laker morale is in the gutter. The fans are really pissed that the Pels won't accept their bag of turds as a fair price for AD.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#870 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:34 am

Looks like Alec is heading to the rockets for Brandon Knight and a 1st. If Alec can play even close to how well he has for the Cavs then this is a huge upgrade for the rockets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#871 » by stitches » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:08 am

So if this trade happens the Cavs will have turned 15M of capspace and 37 year old Kyle Korver into a 1st and 2 x 2nd round picks. Pretty good management of their resources if you ask me. Now imagine Knight finally gets healthy next year and plays good enough to look a bit like Burks did this year and they trade his expiring for yet another first in next year's trade deadline.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#872 » by Rauxcee » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:39 pm

Any dreams I had of getting Harris in the off season, small as it was, are now over with this trade to the sixers. Boo.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#873 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:47 pm

stitches wrote:So if this trade happens the Cavs will have turned 15M of capspace and 37 year old Kyle Korver into a 1st and 2 x 2nd round picks. Pretty good management of their resources if you ask me. Now imagine Knight finally gets healthy next year and plays good enough to look a bit like Burks did this year and they trade his expiring for yet another first in next year's trade deadline.

Yep. There was a reason they wanted Alec over other players the Jazz could have traded--the trade for Korver would have worked with other players as well. They didn't want Alec because he was a good player who can help them win games, because they are tanking. They wanted him because he was a good player who can help other teams win games so they knew they could possibly flip him later for more assets. Good move on their part.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#874 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:50 pm

Rauxcee wrote:Any dreams I had of getting Harris in the off season, small as it was, are now over with this trade to the sixers. Boo.

I know it was reported that the Sixers are planning to keep all 4 of Embiid, Simmons, Butler and Harris, but I'll believe it when I see it. Their payroll will be insane. Still, can't help but appreciate their aggressiveness and their willingness to go for it--this is how a FO that is serious about trying and win a championship looks like.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#875 » by Luigi » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:50 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:So if this trade happens the Cavs will have turned 15M of capspace and 37 year old Kyle Korver into a 1st and 2 x 2nd round picks. Pretty good management of their resources if you ask me. Now imagine Knight finally gets healthy next year and plays good enough to look a bit like Burks did this year and they trade his expiring for yet another first in next year's trade deadline.

Yep. There was a reason they wanted Alec over other players the Jazz could have traded--the trade for Korver would have worked with other players as well. They didn't want Alec because he was a good player who can help them win games, because they are tanking. They wanted him because he was a good player who can help other teams win games so they knew they could possibly flip him later for more assets. Good move on their part.

Plus they got two more second rounders when they moved Hood.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#876 » by Rauxcee » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:Any dreams I had of getting Harris in the off season, small as it was, are now over with this trade to the sixers. Boo.

I know it was reported that the Sixers are planning to keep all 4 of Embiid, Simmons, Butler and Harris, but I'll believe it when I see it. Their payroll will be insane. Still, can't help but appreciate their aggressiveness and their willingness to go for it--this is how a FO that is serious about trying and win a championship looks like.

Helps when you have multiple FRP and some without protections. Those get the deal done everytime.

I like Lindsey, I think he's a good GM. He just not good at asset acquisition IMO.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#877 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:41 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Helps when you have multiple FRP and some without protections. Those get the deal done everytime.

I like Lindsey, I think he's a good GM. He just not good at asset acquisition IMO.

True. And he's not good in asset management either. We used to always say that the Jazz are accumulating assets so they could be used to trade for the next star that becomes available. Since then, so many stars were traded and all we managed to do is lose ours (Hayward). And as for the "assets" when once had, we held onto them for too long until they became desirable no longer, or at the very least, their value diminished to the point where they can no longer be attractive as trade pieces for stars.

stitches
RealGM

Post#878 » by stitches » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Do we have something REALLY bad that we can offer them? Something Lyles-level bad? Or Eric Green bad?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#879 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:15 pm

stitches wrote:Do we have something REALLY bad that we can offer them? Something Lyles-level bad? Or Eric Green bad?

Dammit, we should have traded for Conley's massive contract so we'd have something for the Nuggets to bite on.

vryadli
Rookie

Post#880 » by vryadli » Thu Feb 7, 2019 8:01 pm

Couple words about building on continuity: Milwaukee Bucks.

They were building around GA so-o slowly and they team is not so much different from what was 4-5 years ago. ... they even got Ilyasova back! They mostly rid of some "high usage" flashy players, keeping team workers who didn't mind to play for them...

Now that slow grinding is paying off Spur-like way. Not only best record in NBA, but they got Mirotic practically for free. And still have years and years of opportunities.

Return to Utah Jazz