Future Free Agent Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya, DelaneyRudd

User avatar
ForeverRDjazz
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,441
And1: 305
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1861 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:03 am

GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:Need another big who can guard and shoot the 3. I'd like the jazz to sign Jones again. Already knows the system.


Who?

Oops not Jones but Jonas Jerebko.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,600
And1: 2,234
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1862 » by GobertReport » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:Need another big who can guard and shoot the 3. I'd like the jazz to sign Jones again. Already knows the system.


Who?

Oops not Jones but Jonas Jerebko.


I wouldn’t mind Jerebko.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
zero24gravity
Rookie
Posts: 1,243
And1: 514
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1863 » by zero24gravity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:13 am

GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Who?

Oops not Jones but Jonas Jerebko.


I wouldn’t mind Jerebko.


Jerebko could work. Another FA out there who is serviceable is Gortat.
TNJazz
Senior
Posts: 505
And1: 139
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1864 » by TNJazz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Jerebko would be a nice addition I think he liked it here, the Jazz made the decision not to keep him the year be left to GSW.

Gortat is very interesting. I think he would be a huge upgrade as a backup over Bradley. Are either of these guys currently playing?
Crunch 99
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,069
And1: 2,200
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1865 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't think Jerebko is available. This story on Real GM says he signed a two year contract with a Russian team in August.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255173/Jonas-Jerebko-Signs-Two-Year-Deal-With-Khimki

Gortat, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be playing with any team right now, and is listed as an unrestricted NBA Free Agent.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,811
And1: 5,567
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1866 » by KqWIN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Jerebko is not available, and we just signed Juwan Morgan anyways.

Locke said on his show that the Jazz really like Morgan in camp and that they were worried he'd get snatched up because he started playing really well in the G-League.
User avatar
Wolverine
Rookie
Posts: 1,090
And1: 56
Joined: Jul 27, 2002

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1867 » by Wolverine » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:53 am

Bogut
User avatar
CAE15
Analyst
Posts: 3,519
And1: 442
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Defending Trey Burke
   

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1868 » by CAE15 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Wolverine wrote:Bogut
Did you not see him last year with Golden State when he actually did play. It was ugly..I've always wanted Bogut also, but he's just not an NBA guy anymore. Much rather go the Noah route

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Image
User avatar
Wolverine
Rookie
Posts: 1,090
And1: 56
Joined: Jul 27, 2002

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1869 » by Wolverine » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:58 am

I watch him play weekly. Moving well, dominating the NBL. Great defender, rebounder and passer

CAE15 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Bogut
Did you not see him last year with Golden State when he actually did play. It was ugly..I've always wanted Bogut also, but he's just not an NBA guy anymore. Much rather go the Noah route

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,719
And1: 3,713
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1870 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:41 am

What about the Jazz's own free agents?

Couple of years out but in the summer of 2021, Donovan will be an RFA, probably commanding a max deal then.

And Rudi will be eligible for a super max, like some $274 million.

Have the front office or ownership indicated what they're going to do?

Mitchell they will have to keep pretty much. But Gobert may be a difficult question unless the Jazz break through and have won at least one title by then.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
Posts: 9,049
And1: 480
Joined: Jul 04, 2002

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1871 » by red4hf » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:01 am

There's no way the Jazz can afford to pay the supermax to anyone,......
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,171
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1872 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:21 am

wco81 wrote:What about the Jazz's own free agents?

Couple of years out but in the summer of 2021, Donovan will be an RFA, probably commanding a max deal then.

And Rudi will be eligible for a super max, like some $274 million.

Have the front office or ownership indicated what they're going to do?

Mitchell they will have to keep pretty much. But Gobert may be a difficult question unless the Jazz break through and have won at least one title by then.


There is still a very real possibility that Gobert doesn't qualify for a supermax. He has to get 1 more DPOY or All NBA in the next 2 seasons to get it. I don't think he's getting either this year.

Assuming he does qualify, you either sign him to it and live with the ceiling of the team being just below a contender, or you rebuild. Meaning you trade Mitchell and start over.

Jazz will take a major step back if they lose Gobert. I would say they might not make the playoffs the first 2 seasons he'd be gone. If we waste Mitchell's time with rebuilding or retooling around him, he'll inevitably ask for a trade as the team won't be going places quick enough.

The Jazz can't sign FA and hopefully they convey their FRP to Memphis this year so they can get back to keeping their own (I think if they pay up this year they don't owe anymore FRP's to anyone). Either way Mitchell isn't going to wait around for a rookie to develop in his prime.

If the Jazz lose Gobert, either because they don't want to pay him or he just leaves, the Jazz would be smart to trade Mitchell in the first year or two of his new deal. He'd fetch a nice package and the best value versus what they'll get if he demands a trade.


I think the Jazz will pay him though(I think they'll get lucky and he won't qualify for a supermax so they won't have to make that choice). I'm okay with paying him too, whatever the cost even if our ceiling isn't contender. I know some people would rather tank and rebuild, but I like watching wining teams.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,719
And1: 3,713
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1873 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:34 am

Even if he doesn’t qualify, the regular max is around 40 million, 5 years, isn’t it?
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,171
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1874 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:46 am

wco81 wrote:Even if he doesn’t qualify, the regular max is around 40 million, 5 years, isn’t it?


40 is the supermax number, the max is more 33ish. Or whatever 30% of the cap is at that time.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,811
And1: 5,567
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1875 » by KqWIN » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:32 am

Rauxcee wrote:
wco81 wrote:What about the Jazz's own free agents?

Couple of years out but in the summer of 2021, Donovan will be an RFA, probably commanding a max deal then.

And Rudi will be eligible for a super max, like some $274 million.

Have the front office or ownership indicated what they're going to do?

Mitchell they will have to keep pretty much. But Gobert may be a difficult question unless the Jazz break through and have won at least one title by then.


There is still a very real possibility that Gobert doesn't qualify for a supermax. He has to get 1 more DPOY or All NBA in the next 2 seasons to get it. I don't think he's getting either this year.

Assuming he does qualify, you either sign him to it and live with the ceiling of the team being just below a contender, or you rebuild. Meaning you trade Mitchell and start over.

Jazz will take a major step back if they lose Gobert. I would say they might not make the playoffs the first 2 seasons he'd be gone. If we waste Mitchell's time with rebuilding or retooling around him, he'll inevitably ask for a trade as the team won't be going places quick enough.

The Jazz can't sign FA and hopefully they convey their FRP to Memphis this year so they can get back to keeping their own (I think if they pay up this year they don't owe anymore FRP's to anyone). Either way Mitchell isn't going to wait around for a rookie to develop in his prime.

If the Jazz lose Gobert, either because they don't want to pay him or he just leaves, the Jazz would be smart to trade Mitchell in the first year or two of his new deal. He'd fetch a nice package and the best value versus what they'll get if he demands a trade.


I think the Jazz will pay him though(I think they'll get lucky and he won't qualify for a supermax so they won't have to make that choice). I'm okay with paying him too, whatever the cost even if our ceiling isn't contender. I know some people would rather tank and rebuild, but I like watching wining teams.


Rudy is already eligible for the supermax. He doesn't have to accomplish anything more, he already met the benchmarks.
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,171
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1876 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:42 am

KqWIN wrote:Rudy is already eligible for the supermax. He doesn't have to accomplish anything more, he already met the benchmarks.


I thought to qualify you have to either win an MVP the last 3 years of your contact, win DPOY your last year or 2 of your last 3 years, or All NBA your last year or 2 of your last 3 years?

If that's the case he's won 1 last season and has this season and next to win the second. His first DPOY didn't fall in the 2 in the last 3 years time frame.

At least that's what the internet says?
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,811
And1: 5,567
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1877 » by KqWIN » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:52 am

Rauxcee wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Rudy is already eligible for the supermax. He doesn't have to accomplish anything more, he already met the benchmarks.


I thought to qualify you have to either win an MVP the last 3 years of your contact, win DPOY your last year or 2 of your last 3 years, or All NBA your last year or 2 of your last 3 years?

If that's the case he's won 1 last season and has this season and next to win the second. His first DPOY didn't fall in the 2 in the last 3 years time frame.

At least that's what the internet says?


The supermax timing isn't at the end of a contract for a player with 7 or 8 years of experience. You can have one or two years left on your deal and be eligible. For example, Dame signed a supermax that added 4 years onto the two remaining. This summer, Rudy will have 7 years of experience and has already one the DPOY in at least 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's auto eligible this summer no matter what happens this season.
User avatar
ForeverRDjazz
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,441
And1: 305
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1878 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:00 am

KqWIN wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Rudy is already eligible for the supermax. He doesn't have to accomplish anything more, he already met the benchmarks.


I thought to qualify you have to either win an MVP the last 3 years of your contact, win DPOY your last year or 2 of your last 3 years, or All NBA your last year or 2 of your last 3 years?

If that's the case he's won 1 last season and has this season and next to win the second. His first DPOY didn't fall in the 2 in the last 3 years time frame.

At least that's what the internet says?


The supermax timing isn't at the end of a contract for a player with 7 or 8 years of experience. You can have one or two years left on your deal and be eligible. For example, Dame signed a supermax that added 4 years onto the two remaining. This summer, Rudy will have 7 years of experience and has already one the DPOY in at least 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's auto eligible this summer no matter what happens this season.

The way Rudy has been winning games in the forth on defense I just don't see who the league can not give him the 3 peat.
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,171
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1879 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:12 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:The way Rudy has been winning games in the forth on defense I just don't see who the league can not give him the 3 peat.


The AD and Lakers narrative is too strong.
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,171
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread 

Post#1880 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:15 am

KqWIN wrote:
The supermax timing isn't at the end of a contract for a player with 7 or 8 years of experience. You can have one or two years left on your deal and be eligible. For example, Dame signed a supermax that added 4 years onto the two remaining. This summer, Rudy will have 7 years of experience and has already one the DPOY in at least 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's auto eligible this summer no matter what happens this season.


Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Return to Utah Jazz