NBA 2019 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Re: NBA 2019 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#561 » by WinterSoldier » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 pm

I have narrowed down who I'd like to see the Jazz take with their picks. In no particular order, based on who I think could fall to them.
Nicolas Claxton
Kevin Porter Jr
KZ Okpala
Luka Samanic
Romeo Langford

Brian Bowen
Darius Bazley
Jalen Leqcue
Louis King
Kris wilkes
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#562 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm

#LockeWatch update

Wants to trade pick (Kevin Love? You won't like the other deals).

(+) NAW - Likes him, likely won't be there
(=) THT - Moldable piece of clay, upside pick
(=) Cam Johnson - Opposite of THT.
(+) Keldon Johnson - Lot's of intrigue
(=) KZ Okpala - Most intriguing athlete, doesn't know how he fits
(=) Ty Jerome - See Cam Johnson
(-) Carsen Edwards - Concerns with translating, versatility
(+) Eric Pashall - Likes him, knows how to play
(+) Lu Dort - One of the best athletes in draft

HOT
Keldon Johnson
Eric Paschall
Carsen Edwards

Medium
Cam Johnson
THT
KZ Okpala
Ty Jerome
Lu Dort

Cold
Grant Williams
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#563 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

I hate the idea of drafting Eric Paschall. Not a huge Keldon Johnson guy, but he's fine for #23. Carsen Edwards is ok, but Trey Burke vibes deter me.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#564 » by stitches » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Paschall sounded like a real smart kid in the interview and was intriguing when I was watching him last year with Villanova's championship team, but I thought he's more of a second rounder at the time. I haven't watched a single minute of him this year so... I don't know how he's evolved his game. BTW He's childhood friends with Mitchell for whatever it's worth. They grew up together in the same area and were on the same AAU team.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#565 » by WinterSoldier » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

I tend to like the guys that have some upside so I'm really not liking Paschall, Edwards, Keldon or Cam Johnson, Jerome or Williams. I don't even see anything special in them in the first place let alone any upside.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#566 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 am

I'm starting to come around on Edwards. I'm not in love with anyone this year, so I'd be fine taking him. Explosive athleticism off of one, strength, and terrific shooting ability off the dribble. If he was 6'4 with a 6'6 wingspan, I'd love him, but he's 6'0 with a 6'6 wingspan.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#567 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 am

Doesn’t sound like Samanic is in consideration. I have to admit this surprises me a bit as I thought Samanic would be a forward not a C.

Read on Twitter
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#568 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 am

My draft crush Claxton is still a possibility.

Read on Twitter

However, if Tony is any indication, the Jazz are still hot for Conley and most likely the 23rd pick will be traded. If they get Conley, I have no idea how they improve the team after maxing Gobert and Mitchell.
stitches
RealGM

Post#569 » by stitches » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:My draft crush Claxton is still a possibility.

Read on Twitter

However, if Tony is any indication, the Jazz are still hot for Conley and most likely the 23rd pick will be traded. If they get Conley, I have no idea how they improve the team after maxing Gobert and Mitchell.

If we trade for Conley and he plays well he will opt out next year and we will have another chance improve the team next year in FA(which we will miss of course)... and trade another 1st for whoever the next expiring PG is...
stitches
RealGM

Post#570 » by stitches » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Here's my 1 week before the draft board...

I have never assembled a board with this little information and this little of tape watching so take with a huge mountain of salt. A lot of my 'scouting' this year has been youtube clips and highlights. I don't have many strong opinions in this one, so I can be easily dissuaded by certain rankings with good info.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#571 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:20 pm

stitches wrote:Here's my 1 week before the draft board...

Spoiler:

I have never assembled a board with this little information and this little of tape watching so take with a huge mountain of salt. A lot of my 'scouting' this year has been youtube clips and highlights. I don't have many strong opinions in this one, so I can be easily dissuaded by certain rankings with good info.

Do you have any thoughts on Carsen Edwards? If you can get over his age and stature, I think he's quite impressive. One of the best highlight reel players.

;t=
stitches
RealGM

Post#572 » by stitches » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:29 pm

KqWIN wrote:

Spoiler:

Do you have any thoughts on Carsen Edwards? If you can get over his age and stature, I think he's quite impressive. One of the best highlight reel players.

;t=

He's alright. The problem with him is... not just the age/physical stature... his efficiency stats are not that great. For example, in the 3 years in Purdue he shot over 40% only once. If you are taking him, IMO you are taking him to be a spark plug off the bench and scorer. And if he's your scorer and couldn't break 40% from the field in college on high volume(what you are drafting him to be), can you really expect him to do it in the NBA with longer 3, better and bigger defenders, etc ? I kind of... rather bet on the unknown of someone like Jalen Lecque who's shown some extremely exciting things on his lower level tape and IMO has more of a potential and time to improve(he will need the time though)...

And that's without me even going into his defense.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#573 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Spoiler:

;t=

He's alright. The problem with him is... not just the age/physical stature... his efficiency stats are not that great. For example, in the 3 years in Purdue he shot over 40% only once. If you are taking him, IMO you are taking him to be a spark plug off the bench and scorer. And if he's your scorer and couldn't break 40% from the field in college on high volume(what you are drafting him to be), can you really expect him to do it in the NBA with longer 3, better and bigger defenders, etc ? I kind of... rather bet on the unknown of someone like Jalen Lecque who's shown some extremely exciting things on his lower level tape and IMO has more of a potential and time to improve(he will need the time though)...

And that's without me even going into his defense.

His stature bothers me more than his efficiency. It means he likely won't ever be a guy who can reliably close games, but I think he can really shoot it and score. He has an extremely high level of difficulty on his shots and I saw a tweet that said the very large majority, over 80%, of his shots were from NBA range. He's not just shooting it from deep, but off the dribble, on the move, and with guys in his face. I think he can be an efficient scorer, like he was in his SO season, with a more normal shot distribution. He's not going to be a 37% usage guy in the NBA, but he can still fill it up.
stitches
RealGM

Post#574 » by stitches » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:53 pm

KqWIN wrote:
His stature bothers me more than his efficiency. It means he likely won't ever be a guy who can reliably close games, but I think he can really shoot it and score. He has an extremely high level of difficulty on his shots and I saw a tweet that said the very large majority, over 80%, of his shots were from NBA range. He's not just shooting it from deep, but off the dribble, on the move, and with guys in his face. I think he can be an efficient scorer, like he was in his SO season, with a more normal shot distribution. He's not going to be a 37% usage guy in the NBA, but he can still fill it up.

so how high would you draft him and what role do you envision for him? Do you see him starting next to Mitchell?
In general I'm not a huge believer in small PGs that you need to score for you. I think it's really hard for players like this to excel in the NBA in today's game unless they do something at an exceptional level and I'm not sure he has that. He's practically another shot at Trey Burke-type, right?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#575 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

so how high would you draft him and what role do you envision for him? Do you see him starting next to Mitchell?
In general I'm not a huge believer in small PGs that you need to score for you. I think it's really hard for players like this to excel in the NBA in today's game. He's practically another shot at Trey Burke-type, right?

I would draft around #23, where there's no one I really love. His top end is something like Lou Will , Kemba, IT ect. Super elite offensive players with very questionable defense. I suppose what's also a little concerning about Edwards is that he can't finish around the rim, pass. or get to the line as well the others...but I think his shooting is pretty special.

I prefer him over the other strong offense, poor defense prospects like Jerome or Windler. I think he has a better chance at being a key offensive player than those guys. I'd also take him over the ambigous position/role guys like PJ, Williams, Hachimura and probably over the bad freshmen too like THT and Nassir.

He just looks great on film. Very fast, handles, strong, good leaping, and obviously great shot making ability from deep. I don't mind taking a chance on that in this draft.
stitches
RealGM

Post#576 » by stitches » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm

KqWIN wrote:I would draft around #23, where there's no one I really love. His top end is something like Lou Will , Kemba, IT ect. Super elite offensive players with very questionable defense. I suppose what's also a little concerning about Edwards is that he can't finish around the rim, pass. or get to the line as well the others...but I think his shooting is pretty special.

I prefer him over the other strong offense, poor defense prospects like Jerome or Windler. I think he has a better chance at being a key offensive player than those guys. I'd also take him over the ambigous position/role guys like PJ, Williams, Hachimura and probably over the bad freshmen too like THT and Nassir.

He just looks great on film. Very fast, handles, strong, good leaping, and obviously great shot making ability from deep. I don't mind taking a chance on that in this draft.

I guess I'm not as sold on his shot-making as you are. i guess we'll see in due time how that one will pan out...
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#577 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 pm

I really hope we draft Samanic, he for sure is a F and not a C, Tony is the only writer designating him a C.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#578 » by sipclip » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

In general I'm not a huge believer in small PGs that you need to score for you. I think it's really hard for players like this to excel in the NBA in today's game. He's practically another shot at Trey Burke-type, right?

I would draft around #23, where there's no one I really love. His top end is something like Lou Will , Kemba, IT ect. Super elite offensive players with very questionable defense. I suppose what's also a little concerning about Edwards is that he can't finish around the rim, pass. or get to the line as well the others...but I think his shooting is pretty special.

I'm not sure what to make of Edwards. He has some pitbull in him which is great but his shot selection sucks which is what leads to his terrible shooting percentage. In the end I don't hate him as a pick but he is by no means one of my top choices.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#579 » by KqWIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm

sipclip wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of Edwards. He has some pitbull in him which is great but his shot selection sucks which is what leads to his terrible shooting percentage. In the end I don't hate him as a pick but he is by no means one of my top choices.

Yeah, his shot selection is insane. His degree of difficulty is as high as just about anyone I can remember. I'm hoping that is born out of necessity and not because he's super selfish. Even then, his efficiency was similar or better to a lot of higher ranked prospects. I think he'll take easier shots in the pros and hopefully transfer some of his energy over to defense. He's got good length and strength for his height, so I don't think he's a total lost cause on that end.

I don't have a lot of top choices. NAW, Samanic, Bazley...that's about it. Not sure I'd put him in that group, but I don't really like anyone else so I'd be ok with Edwards. If he works out, we could really use him.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#580 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 pm

I believe that there are going to be desirable players in the 30s and 40s this draft and I hope that the Jazz can grab one of those picks.

Return to Utah Jazz