Jimmy Butler for Alec Burks-Jae Crowder-2019 protect 1st

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Jimmy Butler for Alec Burks-Jae Crowder-2019 protect 1st 

Post#1 » by blackham9258 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 am

I do it to have the best defense of all time. If the vibe come Jan 15th isnt what you want you trade him to the Clippers for Jerome Robinson, and Tobias Harris and a pick.

Jae is a Thibs kind of guy, and I do think we would really miss him and think he was set to have a great year but Jimmy Butler is top 10. You have to give yourself that Paul George chance!
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,067

Re: Jimmy Butler for Alec Burks-Jae Crowder-2019 protect 1st 

Post#2 » by Rauxcee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:49 pm

There is zero chance the Wolves trade him to a division rival. They probably won't even trade him to a team in the western conference.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Two players who were very bad last season and a protected (likely very late) first for a top 10 player. I don’t see who says no.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#4 » by blackham9258 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

The Clippers arent offering Shae Gilgeous from everything their fans are claiming. So basically they are claiming Tobias and Shae, and Patrick Beverly are untouchable. They want to give up only Danillo, Wesley johnson, 1st Rounder, Jerome Robinson but only as a last resort, and as a center piece Louis Williams.

Thibs isnt a Louis Williams type of coach to me. Jae Crowder is his kind of player. I could totally see him going for a package including a 1st if no other package had a pick that included a Jae Crowder, an expiring like Burks, and a 1st.

Holding onto him until December/Jan is his best option but if its a deal now this is reasonable Thibs type of player option.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#5 » by Luigi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:32 pm

I don't think we're competitive in the Butler market.

I don't think Thibodeau cares at all about the division rival stuff. He'll go for the biggest haul, no matter who's offering it.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#6 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm

If I'm the Jazz brass, I'm definitely on the phone with the TWolves to see there is a realistic way to pull this off. Butler is the perfect 3rd piece (plays both sides of court, allows Ingles to be 6th man, doesn't overlap with other core pieces). A concern is certainly his age and miles on his body playing under Thibs all of these years. But, where else do the Jazz get someone like this? I think you have to take a Paul George leap of faith that Jimmy would like playing with the team and the success they have. I would offer Grayson, Burks and Thabo (both expiring, and having cap space this upcoming summer might appeal to the TWolves) and two firsts.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#7 » by Luigi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm

I was a big Butler fan, until he came out with his list. He's sold out.

He used to say he was a fierce competitor who wanted to play to win. Then he listed 3 of the sorriest franchises in the league for his trade demand. He clearly just wants to lose games in a big market at this point. He's gone in a year if we do trade for him. And I have no idea how we put together a competitive package.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#8 » by PharmD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am

Does Alec Burks, Jae Crowder and the 29th pick even have positive value?

Plus i would hate to see your tight, happy team get Butlered. I've seen it happen and it's not fun.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#9 » by vryadli » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 am

KqWIN wrote:Two players who were very bad last season and a protected (likely very late) first for a top 10 player. I don’t see who says no.

I do. Free expensive cancer is still a cancer.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,067

Post#10 » by Rauxcee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:09 am

PharmD wrote:Does Alec Burks, Jae Crowder and the 29th pick even have positive value?

Plus i would hate to see your tight, happy team get Butlered. I've seen it happen and it's not fun.

You could definitely get a better deal for Butler than what was suggested, and from a team that you aren't fighting with for a playoff spot.

Once upon a time I liked Butler. Now there is enough evidence from the last couple years to say he's a cancer. I don't care if he's a top 10 player, a cancer is a cancer and those type of players can stay away from the present team chemistry.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#11 » by vryadli » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:25 am

Rauxcee wrote:
PharmD wrote:Does Alec Burks, Jae Crowder and the 29th pick even have positive value?

You could definitely get a better deal for Butler than what was suggested, and from a team that you aren't fighting with for a playoff spot.

Once upon a time I liked Butler. Now there is enough evidence from the last couple years to say he's a cancer. I don't care if he's a top 10 player, a cancer is a cancer and those type of players can stay away from the present team chemistry.

I'd formulate it like that: for Utah it would "whatever" + current chemistry for Butler. And I'm sure that current chemistry value is quite a bit more than of one top-tenth player.

But if some team doesn't have some special chemistry and players are just "chips", that change the equation completely and for such a team with constant squabbles one more just doesn't mean anything. For such a team Butler can be a considerable upgrade - and of course they can give for him more value in isolated "chips".
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#12 » by zero24gravity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:29 pm

While I'm sure the Jazz FO will make an inquiring call, the Jazz aren't getting Butler.

I'd love to see the C's use Haywood as trade bait to bring Butler to Boston.

Why it makes sense for the Celtics? Because I think they know Haywood isn't needed on that team with the development of Brown & Tatum, who play the exact same position. (Butler can play SG better than GH, IMO.) Maybe the Wolves throw in a draft pick, since Butler is an expiring contract, which we know Ainge would love. If Butler walks after the season, the C's have a draft pick & are out from under GH's large contract, plus get a player not coming off a season ending injury (who may or may not ever be the same player) to help with a Finals run. The Wolves would get a former All Star on a long contract, which has to be enticing for a small market team with a beat up reputation.

And yes, seeing Haywood get shipped off to a lower tier team would make me personally happy. #yupimstillsalty
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#13 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 pm

The likelihood of Butler being traded to Utah is about 1%. 28 other teams out there, Jazz not Butler's preference, Jazz don't have an attractive trade package. 1% seems about right to me.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:26 pm

I think the offer would have to be Ingles+Crowder+1st.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:38 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think the offer would have to be Ingles+Crowder+1st.

I hope not.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:

I hope not.

I mean we aren't getting him without giving up value. It's going to have to include a combination of actual assets. The original offer would be a good offer for Tobias Harris, but not Jimmy Butler.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:

I hope not.

I mean we aren't getting him without giving up value. It's going to have to include a combination of actual assets. The original offer would be a good offer for Tobias Harris, but not Jimmy Butler.

Butler in his contract situation is not worth Joe, Jae and a 1st. Too much risk. Jazz isn't a team in disarray. They have identity, system and chemistry. They need to add to what's working, not break what's working.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#18 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
I hope not.

Butler in his contract situation is not worth Joe, Jae and a 1st. Too much risk. Jazz isn't a team in disarray. They have identity, system and chemistry. They need to add to what's working, not break what's working.

I think it could be worth it, but I also don't think we would have the best offer anyway, and I like the team as-is, too.

JColl
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm

BTW, Wolves want to unload Dieng's contract in Butler's trade. 48 mil left over 3 years.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#20 » by zero24gravity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:BTW, Wolves want to unload Dieng's contract in Butler's trade. 48 mil left over 3 years.

I wonder what happened to Dieng. He seemed to be on a trajectory to be a quality starter, then he just totally fell off last year. He's only 28 years old. As a 2 year starter he was at 10 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1 spg, 1 bpg, over 50% FG, over 80% FT, and in the low 30's in 3%. Those are nice numbers (although a weak rebounder).

Return to Utah Jazz