Jimmy Butler for Alec Burks-Jae Crowder-2019 protect 1st

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Re: Jimmy Butler for Alec Burks-Jae Crowder-2019 protect 1st 

Post#21 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:13 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:BTW, Wolves want to unload Dieng's contract in Butler's trade. 48 mil left over 3 years.

I wonder what happened to Dieng. He seemed to be on a trajectory to be a quality starter, then he just totally fell off last year. He's only 28 years old. As a 2 year starter he was at 10 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1 spg, 1 bpg, over 50% FG, over 80% FT, and in the low 30's in 3%. Those are nice numbers (although a weak rebounder).

He needs to pay in a good system next to good players then he can just blend in. Last season they put him together with a rag tag bench unit headlined by the Crawful. No wonder Dieng failed. I guess he could blend in with Utah, but he's overpaid for what he can offer. Another issue in Minny is that it's hard to play both KAT and Dieng together as both are kinda soft for bigs.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#22 » by dr0welf » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Maybe we can get in with LAC, they get Butler and Dieng we take a package around Tobias? Don't know if Clippers would take on Dieng to get Butler or not.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#23 » by Luigi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:57 pm

dr0welf wrote:Maybe we can get in with LAC, they get Butler and Dieng we take a package around Tobias? Don't know if Clippers would take on Dieng to get Butler or not.

Sadly, I think T-Wolves would rather have Tobais Harris than anything else in the deal.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#24 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 pm

I could see us doing Crowder+Burks+Favors+pick for Butler+Dieng. Or something similarish.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#25 » by shrink » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi guys. I just thought I’d answer a couple questions.

I agree with the posters who think the chances Jimmy is traded to the Jazz is low. However, the Jazz have two things in their favor. First, if Thibs is trying to keep his job, he probably needs to make the playoffs. The Jazz are taking one of those slots whether he trades him to you or not. I think a team like DEN is a lower chance. Second, Jimmy has problems with players if they don’t play defense, and the Jazz are the best in the NBA at it.

Regarding Dieng, it’s nice to see some smart people here that don’t just immediately dismiss him as junk. Most people don’t realize that Gorgui was #42 in the NBA in RPM in 2015-16. It was not a fluke either, because he was #33 in 2016-17. However, last year when Taj moved into the starting line-up, Gorgui started playing with some pretty bad benches. Dieng is a solid man and help defender, though no shot blocker, has great hustle stats, and plays big minutes while avoiding injuries. However, he’s a complimentary player that needs to play with talent to make him, and them, better. He has a reliable 17-footer, but the jumper is slow to release, so he needs players with gravity, not bench players. No doubt playing with KAT makes his life easier. I actually hope he doesn’t get traded, because I would be very comfortable if he came back into the starting line up if the expiring Taj gets moved with Butler.

Jimmy would love your team, and you could really make life difficult for the Warriors with him on the Jazz. However, since the success wouldn’t necessarily guarantee he’d re-sign next summer, I don’t think the Jazz should offer really good assets.

I’d love to see that Confernence Finals though.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#26 » by Pass_the_rock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I could see us doing Crowder+Burks+Favors+pick for Butler+Dieng. Or something similarish.

Favors is only trade eligible Jan. 15. I doubt Minny will wait that long.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:20 pm

shrink wrote:Hi guys. I just thought I’d answer a couple questions.

I agree with the posters who think the chances Jimmy is traded to the Jazz is low. However, the Jazz have two things in their favor. First, if Thibs is trying to keep his job, he probably needs to make the playoffs. The Jazz are taking one of those slots whether he trades him to you or not. I think a team like DEN is a lower chance. Second, Jimmy has problems with players if they don’t play defense, and the Jazz are the best in the NBA at it.

Regarding Dieng, it’s nice to see some smart people here that don’t just immediately dismiss him as junk. Most people don’t realize that Gorgui was #42 in the NBA in RPM in 2015-16. It was not a fluke either, because he was #33 in 2016-17. However, last year when Taj moved into the starting line-up, Gorgui started playing with some pretty bad benches. Dieng is a solid man and help defender, though no shot blocker, has great hustle stats, and plays big minutes while avoiding injuries. However, he’s a complimentary player that needs to play with talent to make him, and them, better. He has a reliable 17-footer, but the jumper is slow to release, so he needs players with gravity, not bench players. No doubt playing with KAT makes his life easier. I actually hope he doesn’t get traded, because I would be very comfortable if he came back into the starting line up if the expiring Taj gets moved with Butler.

Jimmy would love your team, and you could really make life difficult for the Warriors with him on the Jazz. However, since the success wouldn’t necessarily guarantee he’d re-sign next summer, I don’t think the Jazz should offer really good assets.

Yah this is a position I don't like to see Minnesota in, as a team that's kind of similarish in terms of how they might be viewed by NBA players and fans. So while I want Butler, it sucks that it comes at the cost of an up and coming team losing their best or second best player (and we felt that with Hayward). I've actually been thinking that Favors could be perfect for Minnesota. He can switch on the perimeter (for a player his size, his lateral quickness is otherworldly) and as a center averages about 15/9/2a/1.5s/1.5b and actually has really nice court vision. He'd be ideal as a 4/5 next to Towns and Minnesota could really punish teams with their size. We also have some nice perimeter players that could fill a starting role (Crowder first among them, but Minnesota might prefer someone who is more of a scorer like Burks, or both). Then we can add our pick this year. I don't think that's likely to be the best offer - but it would be a nice package for a team still trying to make the playoffs.

And FWIW I really like Dieng.

Favors+Crowder+Burks+2019 1st for Butler+Dieng

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#28 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I could see us doing Crowder+Burks+Favors+pick for Butler+Dieng. Or something similarish.

Favors is only trade eligible Jan. 15. I doubt Minny will wait that long.

Good point. I think the domino may have already fallen since he's not at media day.

JColl
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#29 » by anish23 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:01 am

i might be the only one, but i dont want this cancer in our team. stay away for the better.

plus this package you make wont even be close to snatching him.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#30 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 am

anish23 wrote:i might be the only one, but i dont want this cancer in our team. stay away for the better.

Kid can ball and I love he'll call players out for not playing D. Something Rudy would do. And I'm happy having Rudy here. I think he'd fit but hey, we're not one of those teams on the list. Not worried about it.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#31 » by sipclip » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm

anish23 wrote:i might be the only one, but i dont want this cancer in our team. stay away for the better.

I would definitely be hesitant to trade for him after these last 2 years. He has turned into a cancer with the bulls and the wolves. On the other hand I would be cautiously optimistic that our roster and players are a good fit with him. In the end I wouldn't give up much for him though because I wouldn't trust him to stay and I don't want to give a soon to be 30yr old a 190 million contract. Especially with his injury history and having played heavy minutes for Thibs. That guy is a career killer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#32 » by vryadli » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Jimmy would love your team, ...

Yes, sure thing, he told that himself! And that of course, is the exact reason why he dissed Rubio and listed defenseless teams as a destination. Yea, he will love our defense oriented small market team all right!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#33 » by shrink » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:05 pm

vryadli wrote:

Yes, sure thing, he told that himself! And that of course, is the exact reason why he dissed Rubio and listed defenseless teams as a destination. Yea, he will love our defense oriented small market team all right!

Dude, I’m not trying to sell you on Jimmy Butler, and flat out said a trade to UTA was unlikely.

I forgot about his “tussle” with Rubio. It sounds to me like they are both competitive. I doubt this is some permanent sin, especially if they were teammates. But you be the judge:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740015-jimmy-butler-didnt-want-ricky-rubio-in-his-locker-room-after-win-vs-jazz

And the teams on Jimmy’s list are most likely there because they are big market (Jimmy himself recently said he doesn’t care about market size) and have the cap space to add a second max deal. I suspect Jimmy named these 3 (and specifically not LAL) because he wants to get paid, and he wants to recruit his buddies next year, as the Kyrie rumor suggests. UTA has a star in Gobert, and he is everything defensively that KAT is not.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#34 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

sipclip wrote:I would definitely be hesitant to trade for him after these last 2 years. He has turned into a cancer with the bulls and the wolves. On the other hand I would be cautiously optimistic that our roster and players are a good fit with him. In the end I wouldn't give up much for him though because I wouldn't trust him to stay and I don't want to give a soon to be 30yr old a 190 million contract. Especially with his injury history and having played heavy minutes for Thibs.

Yes, he will indeed be 30 prior to the opening game for the 2019-20 season. One minor correction though, if he goes to another team, he is projected to be eligible for a 4 year, $141 mill contract next summer rather than a 5 year, $190 mill contract according to NBC Sports article below. But yes, after he gave a list of preferred teams that have no defensive identity and were all located in big media markets, I wouldn't trust him to stay either. It seems like playing in a big media market is a much bigger priority for Butler than playing on a good defensive team, or even playing on a playoff team.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/report-jimmy-butler-wanted-timberwolves-to-add-four-years-155-million-to-his-contract-this-summer/

NBA.com ranked both Brooklyn and New York as worse than Minnesota defensively last season, at #6 and #8 worst, versus the Wolves #9 worst. The Clippers were ranked as #12 worst, but they have Patrick Beverley coming back, and maybe Kawhi Leonard would sign there next summer as well, so I guess they have a long shot possibility for becoming a good defensive team in the future. But they also lost defensive anchor Andre Jordan this summer, who has made five NBA All-Defensive teams and lost All-Defensive player Chris Paul the previous summer.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#35 » by vryadli » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:56 pm

shrink wrote:
vryadli wrote:

Dude, I’m not trying to sell you on Jimmy Butler, and flat out said a trade to UTA was unlikely.

I forgot about his “tussle” with Rubio. It sounds to me like they are both competitive. I doubt this is some permanent sin, especially if they were teammates. But you be the judge:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740015-jimmy-butler-didnt-want-ricky-rubio-in-his-locker-room-after-win-vs-jazz

And the teams on Jimmy’s list are most likely there because they are big market (Jimmy himself recently said he doesn’t care about market size) and have the cap space to add a second max deal. I suspect Jimmy named these 3 (and specifically not LAL) because he wants to get paid, and he wants to recruit his buddies next year, as the Kyrie rumor suggests. UTA has a star in Gobert, and he is everything defensively that KAT is not.

I don't mean that, I mean his snide comments about Rubio "they both are better players than him". That was discussed here, though I dob't remember where - and was attributed for "competitiveness". I don't think that after his stint with "the list" it is still a plausible explanations. You know, we already had a similar "competitor" in DWill. Since then I pay more attention to stars actions more than to their words. But.. are you really expecting that on his new team he will prove himself true leader, team player and good influence in locker room? OK, if he will do that, it proves me completely wrong and I promise to eat a moderate size crow.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#36 » by vryadli » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:57 pm

vryadli wrote:
shrink wrote:
vryadli wrote:

I don't mean that, I mean his snide comments about Rubio "they both are better players than him". That was discussed here, though I dob't remember where - and was attributed for "competitiveness". I don't think that after his stint with "the list" it is still a plausible explanations. You know, we, Jazz fans, already had a similar "competitor" in DWill. Since then I pay more attention to stars actions more than to their words. But.. are you really expecting that on his new team he will prove himself true leader, team player and good influence in locker room? OK, if he will do that, it proves me completely wrong and I promise to eat a moderate size crow.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#37 » by PharmD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:21 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:BTW, Wolves want to unload Dieng's contract in Butler's trade. 48 mil left over 3 years.

I wonder what happened to Dieng. He seemed to be on a trajectory to be a quality starter, then he just totally fell off last year. He's only 28 years old. As a 2 year starter he was at 10 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1 spg, 1 bpg, over 50% FG, over 80% FT, and in the low 30's in 3%. Those are nice numbers (although a weak rebounder).

He played most of his minutes with Jamal Crawford, who was unbelievably terrible to play with. But he sucked in his own right too, that can't be ignored. He's best as the 5th best player on the floor.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#38 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:17 pm

I've read that that Nets aren't even engaged with the TWolves in trying to trade for Jimmy. The response from the "listed" teams is, "why give up our assets when we can sign him next summer?" Sounds very similar to the Paul George scenario.

I think that the Jazz could be in the running for Butler given the rumors of what if being offered, and if they were able to get him, they would be a solid #2 in the West and could give the Warriors a real fight. I understand the concerns about Jimmy being a locker room cancer, but I have to wonder if some of that is overblown. The Jazz have a defensive mindset, great culture and strong coach. I also understand the concern about giving a 30 yr old a max contract, even if he is a top 10 player. But, this could be the Jazz' "Paul George" opportunity and make the Jazz contenders for a few seasons.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#39 » by zero24gravity » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Just cause I'm bored at work at the moment .....

Utah gets: Jimmy Butler, Tyson Chandler
Chandler is in the last year of his deal, and might even be a buy-out option if the Jazz & Chandler don't see a good marriage. Rubio, who was great in the second half of 2017, is in the last year of his deal, with young PG's Exum & Mitchell (+ Neto) able to take the reins. DM moves to PG, and Butler SG in the Jazz's starting line-up. The Jazz have a year to sell Butler on the "Utah way". If he walks, they lose a late round draft pick for a 1 year rental and a couple soon-to-be FA's.... but if Butler stays the Jazz are a potential title contender. Hard for a small market team to pass that up.

Mitchell, Butler, Ingles, Favors, Gobert -- Exum, Crowder, O'Neale

Minny gets: TJ Warren, Alec Burks, Tony Bradly, UT 1st
Warren starts for the Wolves, is a bargain contract at $11m for 4 years (33 mpg, 19 ppg in 2017), and fits nicely with the age & style of the current Minnesota roster. Burks is a low risk player who COULD help them if he can shake injuries. Bradley = TBD. While it's a late 1st rounder, it's still has value to a young, building team. They also get out of a contract (Dieng) that they reportedly want to shed.

Teague, Wiggins, Warren, Gibson, Anthony-Towns -- Crawford, Rose, Deng

Phoenix gets: Ricky Rubio, Gorgui Dieng, UT 2nd
The Suns have a huge hole at PG (possibly the wost PG-situation in the NBA), and need a vet passer to get the ball to Ayton & Booker, plus mentor rookie PG, Okobo. Rubio is young enough to fit, but experienced enough to really make a difference as a veteran leader, plus coach Kokoškov would have to be thrilled to reunite with Rubio. The loss of Warren is mitigated by opening up opportunities for Josh Jackson & Dragan Bender, plus the Suns signed Ariza & Anderson this summer who play a similar position as Warren. Dieng takes the place of the aging Tyson Chandler in the rotation, and gives them a player who can play away from the basket a bit more, opening up the Center spot for #1 overall pick, Ayton. Throw in a future Utah 2nd, just to add a touch value.

Rubio, Booker, Ariza, Anderson, Ayton -- Jackson, Bender, Dieng
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#40 » by Rauxcee » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Just cause I'm bored at work at the moment .....

Utah gets: Jimmy Butler, Tyson Chandler
Chandler is in the last year of his deal, and might even be a buy-out option if the Jazz & Chandler don't see a good marriage. Rubio, who was great in the second half of 2017, is in the last year of his deal, with young PG's Exum & Mitchell (+ Neto) able to take the reins. DM moves to PG, and Butler SG in the Jazz's starting line-up. The Jazz have a year to sell Butler on the "Utah way". If he walks, they lose a late round draft pick for a 1 year rental and a couple soon-to-be FA's.... but if Butler stays the Jazz are a potential title contender. Hard for a small market team to pass that up.

Mitchell, Butler, Ingles, Favors, Gobert -- Exum, Crowder, O'Neale

Minny gets: TJ Warren, Alec Burks, Tony Bradly, UT 1st
Warren starts for the Wolves, is a bargain contract at $11m for 4 years (33 mpg, 19 ppg in 2017), and fits nicely with the age & style of the current Minnesota roster. Burks is a low risk player who COULD help them if he can shake injuries. Bradley = TBD. While it's a late 1st rounder, it's still has value to a young, building team. They also get out of a contract (Dieng) that they reportedly want to shed.

Teague, Wiggins, Warren, Gibson, Anthony-Towns -- Crawford, Rose, Deng

Phoenix gets: Ricky Rubio, Gorgui Dieng, UT 2nd
The Suns have a huge hole at PG (possibly the wost PG-situation in the NBA), and need a vet passer to get the ball to Ayton & Booker, plus mentor rookie PG, Okobo. Rubio is young enough to fit, but experienced enough to really make a difference as a veteran leader, plus coach Kokoškov would have to be thrilled to reunite with Rubio. The loss of Warren is mitigated by opening up opportunities for Josh Jackson & Dragan Bender, plus the Suns signed Ariza & Anderson this summer who play a similar position as Warren. Dieng takes the place of the aging Tyson Chandler in the rotation, and gives them a player who can play away from the basket a bit more, opening up the Center spot for #1 overall pick, Ayton. Throw in a future Utah 2nd, just to add a touch value.

Rubio, Booker, Ariza, Anderson, Ayton -- Jackson, Bender, Dieng

No way am I giving up Rubio-a consummate locker room guy and teammate for a 1 year rental of locker room cancer in Butler.

Team chemistry > 1 year of Butler.

Return to Utah Jazz