Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: Putting Dante Exum into perspective 

Post#241 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:42 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

I still think they should play for it one-on-one in pre-season.

"If you don't play 82 games I get it back next season."

Also I've followed Mike Conley for years, especially being in Alabama. That Memphis team's impact in the South is unreal.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#242 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:14 pm

Winglish wrote:The biggest problems are lack of a handle, can't shoot his way out of a barn, and he's a turnover machine.

He's just bad. That's all.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app

1.3 TO's per game for his career. 2.0 TO's per 30 minutes. Yup, a real TO machine. :noway:
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#243 » by Winglish » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:20 am

Look at the past two years:

2.8 and 3.1

His 18.3% turnover rate is BOTTOM 15 in the entire NBA!

Give me a break!

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#244 » by stitches » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:11 am

Read on Twitter
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#245 » by vryadli » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:20 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great attitude. He also got award as teammate and that is in good correlation with with his behavior after the trade.

I didn't like that trade initially but now I begin to hope that Conley may be that fighting and focused veteran presence of Paul Pierce type, which I many years wanted to come to Jazz. If so, the result can be return to overachieving mode and go beyond all fit and talent consideration.

Plus after last acquires the depth doesn't look as crazy thin as it was after trade.

So I begin to feel pretty excited about new season.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#246 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:32 pm

Winglish wrote:Look at the past two years:

2.8 and 3.1

Give me a break!

Last year's per 36 minute TO's for Jazz "playmakers":

Rubio 3.4
Mitrou-Long 3.4
Mitchell 3.0
Allen 2.9
Exum 2.8
Ingles 2.7
Neto 2.7

NBA "leaders" (true turnover-machines at 4+ TO's per 36 min!):

Harden 4.9
Westbrook 4.4
T.Young 4.4
Booker 4.2
Alphabet 4.1
Doncic 3.8
Embid 3.8
D.Russeel 3.7
Simmon 3.7

Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that KitKat bar.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 197

Post#247 » by @ndrew » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:52 pm

TIL that there is an NBA player with name of Alphabet. Sounds more like a generic second name in NBA 2K
Winglish
Analyst

Post#248 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Winglish wrote:Look at the past two years:

2.8 and 3.1

Give me a break!

Last year's per 36 minute TO's for Jazz "playmakers":

Rubio 3.4
Mitrou-Long 3.4
Mitchell 3.0
Allen 2.9
Exum 2.8
Ingles 2.7
Neto 2.7

NBA "leaders" (true turnover-machines at 4+ TO's per 36 min!):

Harden 4.9
Westbrook 4.4
T.Young 4.4
Booker 4.2
Alphabet 4.1
Doncic 3.8
Embid 3.8
D.Russeel 3.7
Simmon 3.7

Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that KitKat bar.
You're better off using TOV% because numbers don't tell the story of how often they have the ball in their hands. John Stockton is the NBA's all-time turnovers leader but as a percentage he was not bad at all.

Dante Exum turns the ball over 18.3% of the time he has it. He is bottom 15 in the entire NBA in ball security when it is in his possession.

stitches
RealGM

Post#249 » by stitches » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:47 pm

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#250 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm

stitches wrote:

I keep hoping that at some point we'll all be glad that the Jazz didn't trade away Dante.
stitches
RealGM

Post#251 » by stitches » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:58 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:

I keep hoping that at some point we'll all be glad that the Jazz didn't trade away Dante.

I've been generous with my hot takes lately - here's one more. By the end of the season Jazz fans will be almost unanimous Dante deserves his contract.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#252 » by TNJazz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Last summer, when there was a thread about the breakout player, I took a leap and stated that Favors would be that guy. While he didn't dominate, he did become quietly an extremely valuable piece. This year, I will piggyback on Stitches hot takes generosity and state that this is Dante's break out season. This is the year when we all realize what the FO has seen with Dante from the beginning. He will remain healthy and will be come a lethal backup to Conley raising the second units status to the level of domination over other teams. Yes, we don't have an official all-star, but the depth of this team will be the key and Dante is the principal cog that will make a huge difference when he is on the floor. Put him with Ingles and Gobert (after he comes back from his initial rest) and the second unit could (should) be the difference in most games in the RS and come PO! This is the year of the DANTE!
Winglish
Analyst

Post#253 » by Winglish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 pm

TNJazz wrote:Last summer, when there was a thread about the breakout player, I took a leap and stated that Favors would be that guy. While he didn't dominate, he did become quietly an extremely valuable piece. This year, I will piggyback on Stitches hot takes generosity and state that this is Dante's break out season. This is the year when we all realize what the FO has seen with Dante from the beginning. He will remain healthy and will be come a lethal backup to Conley raising the second units status to the level of domination over other teams. Yes, we don't have an official all-star, but the depth of this team will be the key and Dante is the principal cog that will make a huge difference when he is on the floor. Put him with Ingles and Gobert (after he comes back from his initial rest) and the second unit could (should) be the difference in most games in the RS and come PO! This is the year of the DANTE!

I had a serious lapse in judgement at the beginning of last season and I stated on this forum that Dante Exum was starting to look like an actual basketball player instead of being total junk and the worst contract in the league. That was my bad. I apologize.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#254 » by ConstableChaos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:48 pm

The key is staying on the floor. The growth that happens just from the reps should be enough for a very solid backup as his floor

Just before he did his ankle last season he was looking like one of the best backup PG's in the league.
Winglish
Analyst

Post#255 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:27 am

ConstableChaos wrote:The key is staying on the floor. The growth that happens just from the reps should be enough for a very solid backup as his floor

Just before he did his ankle last season he was looking like one of the best backup PG's in the league.
Wait wut?

I'm sorry but this hyperbole needs to stop. Dante was scoring 6.9 points on 42% from the floor and 29% from three. He was averaging half as many turnovers as assists.

Dante was looking okay but was statisticallly barfy and a net negative on team effect. He was short of atrocious but certainly not looking like the next best anything other than end-of-bench warmer.

dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#256 » by dr0welf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:53 am

Winglish wrote:
ConstableChaos wrote:The key is staying on the floor. The growth that happens just from the reps should be enough for a very solid backup as his floor

Wait wut?

I'm sorry but this hyperbole needs to stop. Dante was scoring 6.9 points on 42% from the floor and 29% from three. He was averaging half as many turnovers as assists.

Dante was looking okay but was statisticallly barfy and a net negative on team effect. He was short of atrocious but certainly not looking like the next best anything other than end-of-bench warmer.

Dante had moments of allure during his career and a few times last year when he came back. I actually think the best has been his improvement and effort on the defensive side. His handles are still loose with his higher outside dribble, he seems out of control still when he must move while dribbling, and he still gets out of position alot on the defensive side when we start switching.

I hope he can turn it around, but my hope is dwindling year after year....
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#257 » by sipclip » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 am

Winglish wrote:

Wait wut?

That is flat out not true. Prior to Dante injuring his ankle he was showing a level of play that was really really impressive. Unfortunately as usual he was injured and all progress was lost just like the prior year during the preseason when he looked really good and then the shoulder injury happened.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#258 » by stitches » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 am

Winglish wrote:

Wait wut?

Small samples disclaimer applies but Dante was about 17pt/4rb/7ast per 36 on 57%TS in 2018 and 16/4/6 on 52%TS while not being able to hit anything this last season. Dante was showing some incredible progress only to get destroyed by injury after injury. In a recent interview Favors said Dante was the best player in camp in 2017-2018 before Warren fell on his shoulder. And you could see it in the little preseason we saw before he got injured and after he came back at the end of the season.

I understand being sick of his injuries and not wanting to ever be in position to rely on him right now because he simply cannot stay on the floor, but lets at least try to be fair to the kid. If he stays healthy he can be a valuable rotation piece. At this point he's probably been robbed of too much developmental time and his body has taken too much beating to expect him to be a game changer of any sort, but IMO it's very possible he will be worth his contract if he stays healthy... if he stays healthy... if he stays healthy.... if he stays healthy... :-?
Winglish
Analyst

Post#259 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:33 am

sipclip wrote:
Winglish wrote:

Wait wut?

That is flat out not true. Prior to Dante injuring his ankle he was showing a level of play that was really really impressive. Unfortunately as usual he was injured and all progress was lost just like the prior year during the preseason when he looked really good and then the shoulder injury happened.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Flat out not true? I used his REAL, ACTUAL STATS!

Pulling the wool over your eyes at all?

ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#260 » by ConstableChaos » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am

Portland on 12/26 till det 1/6 (game he did his ankle) over that 6 game period he was really looking good.

28/54 FG (52%), 34 assists, 7 turnovers #actualstats

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3102528/dante-exum

Return to Utah Jazz