Game 10: Toronto Raptors (9-1) @ Utah Jazz (4-5)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,067

Re: Game 10: Toronto Raptors (9-1) @ Utah Jazz (4-5) 

Post#41 » by Rauxcee » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:41 am

This team just plays like they have no pride or desire.

The starters can get some rest in the 4th. Maybe have something in them for Dallas.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#42 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:53 am

This is a really really bad basketball team right now. Hopefully Lindsey and Snyder begin to get the criticism that they deserve for doing nothing this offseason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#43 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:58 am

BarneyGumble wrote:Going to bed. This team looks uninterested and incapable. Also, it’s time to bench Rubio. He is ruining the game both in results and in desire to watch the team play with his shooting.
I don't think there is a player that I enjoy watching less than Rubio. Even when he is shooting well I still yell at the TV not to shoot. If he had elite quickness and could at least break the paint and finish at the rim it wouldn't bother me so much but that obviously isn't the case.

Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#44 » by Lava Rock Kid » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:00 am

Too many non scorers in the game at the same time. It is really bad when other normal scorers (ingles) is in a major slump

We are easy to defend.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Lava Rock Kid » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:01 am

The reason Rubio takes so many shots is because the other teams defense wants him to.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by Lava Rock Kid » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:01 am

I think last year was the fluke, this is the reality
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Rauxcee » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:03 am

Niang should get some of Ingles minutes.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#48 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:13 am

I think you point to things like lack of pride, off shooting nights, and maybe coaching for the Memphis games, but these past two games it didn't seem like we belonged on the floor with the other team. They just have way more talent than us, and it's they handled their business.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#49 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:23 am

KqWIN wrote:I think you point to things like lack of pride, off shooting nights, and maybe coaching for the Memphis games, but these past two games it didn't seem like we belonged on the floor with the other team. They just have way more talent than us, and it's they handled their business.
This team lacks almost everything besides size in the frontcourt and in this case we are probably too big since Favors is really a 5. This good guy and culture bull crap has kept us from going after guys that are more talented. This offseason we all had our favorites but 2 of the consensus players were probably Hezonja and Bjelica. I also really wanted to take a look at Vonleh and Patrick McCaw. We could have at least added some shooting and athleticism but instead we bid against ourselves for Favors and Exum and brought back Thabo, Udoh and Neto. They are all nice guys but Exum was the only guy that may actually have a future here.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#50 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:51 am

You may feel disappointed right now Jazz fans...but just think about how disappointed Raps fans were when they decided to break up their team and get Kawhi. Friendship with DeMar = Over. They missed out on a great opportunity to run back the same team and take advantage of continuity. Instead, they got a basketball playing robot that they clearly don't need.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#51 » by AingesBurner » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:56 am

Glad I didn’t watch the game, this is why I wanted us to improve.
Ingles is cooked.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#52 » by PharmD » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:57 am

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Too many non scorers in the game at the same time. It is really bad when other normal scorers (ingles) is in a major slump

We are easy to defend.

Jingles is shooting 29% from 3 since the Warrior game, 31% from the field. Oddly sucks from the line too this year (60%)
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Rauxcee » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:02 am

KqWIN wrote:You may feel disappointed right now Jazz fans...but just think about how disappointed Raps fans were when they decided to break up their team and get Kawhi. Friendship with DeMar = Over. They missed out on a great opportunity to run back the same team and take advantage of continuity. Instead, they got a basketball playing robot that they clearly don't need.

Meh. 1 year rental for broken friendships. :wink:
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#54 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:07 am

Rauxcee wrote:
KqWIN wrote:You may feel disappointed right now Jazz fans...but just think about how disappointed Raps fans were when they decided to break up their team and get Kawhi. Friendship with DeMar = Over. They missed out on a great opportunity to run back the same team and take advantage of continuity. Instead, they got a basketball playing robot that they clearly don't need.

Meh. 1 year rental for broken friendships. :wink:

1 year Robot subscription or friendship that could have lasted a lifetime. Poor Raptor fans. I feel terrible for them.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#55 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:10 am

The strength of the team is the mother****** team boys!!!!

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#56 » by stitches » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:23 am

I still don't know what to make of this team. It's not like we haven't seen them look bad for extended periods of time and then just turn it around and roll past the league for a few months. What's deeply troubling is that what made us successful previously - our defense doesn't look anywhere close to where it needs to be for us to have sustained success. We are the 16th ranked defense right now and we've actually had some pretty good luck with opponent injuries to their best players.

I don't know... if this team is not elite defensively we are not going anywhere simply because our offensive personnel is nowhere close to being able to match with the league's best teams.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#57 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:26 am

Read on Twitter
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#58 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:30 am

stitches wrote:I still don't know what to make of this team. It's not like we haven't seen them look bad for extended periods of time and then just turn it around and roll past the league for a few months. What's deeply troubling is that what made us successful previously - our defense doesn't look anywhere close to where it needs to be for us to have sustained success. We are the 16th ranked defense right now and we've actually had some pretty good luck with opponent injuries to their best players.

I don't know... if this team is not elite defensively we are not going anywhere simply because our offensive personnel is nowhere close to being able to match with the league's best teams.
For all the defensive talk it is once again our offense that is a problem. Teams are going on huge runs against us where we simply can't score and it is leading to massive swings. Between the horrible turnovers and shooting droughts this team just looks inept for long stretches.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#59 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:36 am

sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:I still don't know what to make of this team. It's not like we haven't seen them look bad for extended periods of time and then just turn it around and roll past the league for a few months. What's deeply troubling is that what made us successful previously - our defense doesn't look anywhere close to where it needs to be for us to have sustained success. We are the 16th ranked defense right now and we've actually had some pretty good luck with opponent injuries to their best players.

For all the defensive talk it is once again our offense that is a problem. Teams are going on huge runs against us where we simply can't score and it is leading to massive swings. Between the horrible turnovers and shooting droughts this team just looks inept for long stretches.

Eh, I don't agree with that. The biggest difference from this year's performance from last year is that we are no longer an elite defensive team. If we were elite on defense, we'd be more or less where we were last year.

I can't quite put my finger on why we're so mediocre defensively, but one thing that hasn't been talked about is that Gobert hasn't been the force at the rim he has been in years past. I think he's actually been one of the worst rim protectors in the league by the numbers and that's what I'm seeing with eyes as well. Teams are going right after him and they're scoring with ease.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#60 » by stitches » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:50 am

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:

Eh, I don't agree with that. The biggest difference from this year's performance from last year is that we are no longer an elite defensive team. If we were elite on defense, we'd be more or less where we were last year.

I can't quite put my finger on why we're so mediocre defensively, but one thing that hasn't been talked about is that Gobert hasn't been the force at the rim he has been in years past. I think he's actually been one of the worst rim protectors in the league by the numbers and that's what I'm seeing with eyes as well. Teams are going right after him and they're scoring with ease.

Absolutely. The problem is not that we cannot answer runs... the problem is that we give up those runs to begin with. Our offense has been at about the same relative(to the league) level it has been in the last 3-4 years(we are 15th ranked offense) and on absolute level our offense is better now than it has been in the last 3 years(small sample disclaimer as usual). At the same time our defense is about 5 to 7 points worse than it has been in the last 3 years in absolute sense and in relative sense we are now below average defense while being in the top 5 every year for the last 3 years.

It's really not(or should not be) that contentious that it's our defense that's currently lagging and not matching expectations. Our offense is where it's always been and where it will always be until we get some better offensive talent.

Return to Utah Jazz