Game 12: Boston Celtics (7-4) @ Utah Jazz (5-6)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Game 12: Boston Celtics (7-4) @ Utah Jazz (5-6) 

Post#61 » by stitches » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm

KqWIN wrote:Good performance last night. We were very prepared, can't say the same for the Celtics. Gotta hope the defense comes around at some point because the offense is playing very well.

We are currently ranked no. 9 offense in the league. This is after we've played against the no. 2, no. 3, no. 8 and no. 6 defense twice +GSW...

The defense on the other hand has been below average(no. 18)...
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#62 » by KqWIN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Good performance last night. We were very prepared, can't say the same for the Celtics. Gotta hope the defense comes around at some point because the offense is playing very well.

We are currently ranked no. 9 offense in the league. This is after we've played against the no. 2, no. 3, no. 8 and no. 6 defense twice...

This sounds kinda weird...but we're playing well despite not playing well. When I look at how guys have played at the individual level, I see more room for improvement than regression. If we're number 9 right now, what happens when Rubio and Ingles normalize? What if Mitchell takes a step? For me that's really encouraging. The defense is a very puzzling though.
stitches
RealGM

Post#63 » by stitches » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:56 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

We are currently ranked no. 9 offense in the league. This is after we've played against the no. 2, no. 3, no. 8 and no. 6 defense twice...

This sounds kinda weird...but we're playing well despite not playing well. When I look at how guys have played at the individual level, I see more room for improvement than regression. If we're number 9 right now, what happens when Rubio and Ingles normalize? What if Mitchell takes a step? For me that's really encouraging. The defense is a very puzzling though.

The change of rules and their enforcement has hurt us on defense. DL had an interview yesterday on 1280 the zone and he said they've build the team with the idea of physical defense and that the new rules are screwing up with it and we have to adjust to them.

On a positive note, noone can stop Gobert rolling to the rim now or establishing deep position under the rim(part of this is the league going small and switching a ton), again probably to a significant extent because of the rules and it helps the offense. BTW Alec has been awesome. I wonder what kind of contract he gets in the summer if he continues to play like that for the full year.

Royce on the other hand should never be allowed to dribble. It seems like his summer around DM and CP3 and Harden has made him braver with the ball while not improving his skill level in order to justify that bravery.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#64 » by AK47MVP » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:Is Exum hurt or is he in the doghouse?

He looked like a clueless rookie in his 3 minutes and Quin had seen enough.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#65 » by KqWIN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:07 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

The change of rules and their enforcement has hurt us on defense. DL had an interview yesterday on 1280 the zone and he said they've build the team with the idea of physical defense and that the new rules are screwing up with it and we have to adjust to them.

On a positive note, noone can stop Gobert rolling to the rim now or establishing deep position under the rim(part of this is the league going small and switching a ton), again probably to a significant extent because of the rules and it helps the offense. BTW Alec has been awesome. I wonder what kind of contract he gets in the summer if he continues to play like that for the full year.

Royce on the other hand should never be allowed to dribble. It seems like his summer around DM and CP3 and Harden has made him braver with the ball while not improving his skill level in order to justify that bravery.

Maybe...but I don't think the rules should make us drop all the way to 18th. Even if the rules hurt us more than other teams, that shouldn't be the difference between being elite and being mediocre. We need to play better and have better luck.

Totally agree on Royce. He's trying to do too much right now. I think he sees himself as a playmaker and tries to be one, but he'd have so much more value focusing in on being a 3&D player. Defensively, I also think he's trying to do to much. He's doing the thing were he gets way too aggressive and tries to completely lock down people, but that's not the best way to play defense.
stitches
RealGM

Post#66 » by stitches » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm

KqWIN wrote:Maybe...but I don't think the rules should make us drop all the way to 18th. Even if the rules hurt us more than other teams, that shouldn't be the difference between being elite and being mediocre. We need to play better and have better luck.

I think it will ultimately regress to the mean and normalize over time(we will get in the top 10 at the very least). That's why I'm not hitting the alarm button yet. The samples are still small and we kind of always start slow on D and our chemistry builds up over the season.

KqWIN wrote:Totally agree on Royce. He's trying to do too much right now. I think he sees himself as a playmaker and tries to be one, but he'd have so much more value focusing in on being a 3&D player. Defensively, I also think he's trying to do to much. He's doing the thing were he gets way too aggressive and tries to completely lock down people, but that's not the best way to play defense.

I don't mind him pushing the ball in transition, but I definitely don't want him to handle the ball in the half-court besides a one dribble hand offs and attacking closeouts.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#67 » by Rauxcee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm

LesGrossman wrote:While fans focussed on Haywards return and the battle of the sophomores here, i think it was more than anything a battle of the elite new generation coaches (you rarely see Stevens as animated as tonight on the sidelines). And i think that the Jazz really got lucky to get the win here. I liked Stevens' adjustment with the zone, while the Jazz continue to go iso Mitchell mode late in the game. I am afraid this is going to come back to haunt us at some point. We've already seen how helpless the team looks when Mitchell isnt there. He didnt have his best day - i think he still suffers from several minor injuries - and there were other options to finish the game.

I have to disagree. Snyder coached a great game. He made adjustments all night long to counter anything Stevens threw at him and he was successful. It was Stevens who couldn't match up with what Snyder and the Jazz did. The only reason Boston was in this game was because they were making some ridiculous shots they don't normally make. Boston's offense was a mess in the 4th quarter. If Smart didn't randomly hit some 3's the game would have been over pretty early on. This was the first game all season where I didn't think the Jazz were just scrambling around and looking disorganized for long stretches.

Also, every team has to be able to play iso ball. I thought this was the best I've ever seen Mitchell iso handled. In 2 separate occasions after Mitchell was unable to score after 3-4 possessions, they changed it up and moved onto something different. Which is what I've always wanted: if it doesn't work after 3-4 tries, move on. Defense causes iso, and you have to have a player that can play in iso sometimes to win games. It's just how the game is these days.
eohtown
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#68 » by eohtown » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

i know allen is right now 3rd string in case of injury or if burks comes back down to earth, but DNPs or spot minutes are wasteful. This would be cool if he was a vet, but as a rook, he's not going to get better or learn being glued to the bench as a cheerleader w/ sefolosha and udoh. quin needs to either send him to g-league so he can get some gameplay/sweat equity or play him some nba minutes so he can play confidently and not hesistant like he has been with the few minutes he's been getting (compared to preseason where he played very assertively/confidently). I was telling my duke fans/friends that utah was both the best and worst place for him. Best in that he fits seamlessly with their culture and offensive system, and worst in that utah already had way too many guards and he'd struggle to find minutes even if playing well. okogie, shamet, divincenzo all got lucky as mid to end of first round guards in that their teams could and have been using them. Allen hasn't been so lucky.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#69 » by TO11 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 pm

eohtown wrote:i know allen is right now 3rd string in case of injury or if burks comes back down to earth, but DNPs or spot minutes are wasteful. This would be cool if he was a vet, but as a rook, he's not going to get better or learn being glued to the bench as a cheerleader w/ sefolosha and udoh. quin needs to either send him to g-league so he can get some gameplay/sweat equity or play him some nba minutes so he can play confidently and not hesistant like he has been with the few minutes he's been getting (compared to preseason where he played very assertively/confidently). I was telling my duke fans/friends that utah was both the best and worst place for him. Best in that he fits seamlessly with their culture and offensive system, and worst in that utah already had way too many guards and he'd struggle to find minutes even if playing well. okogie, shamet, divincenzo all got lucky as mid to end of first round guards in that their teams could and have been using them. Allen hasn't been so lucky.

Allen has had a lot of opportunity since the beginning of the season. He even started a game. I think he has looked ok, he has been a decent spot up shooter, his athleticism has shown as well. He is still struggling a little on the defensive side and obviously we haven't seen much play making, but I don't think he is being asked to do that which is fine. I don't know if he has shown enough to really warrant more minutes, I mean it it's Royce's minutes then I am ok with that, but honestly Burks should probably get those minutes.
eohtown
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#70 » by eohtown » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:56 am

TO11 wrote:
eohtown wrote:i know allen is right now 3rd string in case of injury or if burks comes back down to earth, but DNPs or spot minutes are wasteful. This would be cool if he was a vet, but as a rook, he's not going to get better or learn being glued to the bench as a cheerleader w/ sefolosha and udoh. quin needs to either send him to g-league so he can get some gameplay/sweat equity or play him some nba minutes so he can play confidently and not hesistant like he has been with the few minutes he's been getting (compared to preseason where he played very assertively/confidently). I was telling my duke fans/friends that utah was both the best and worst place for him. Best in that he fits seamlessly with their culture and offensive system, and worst in that utah already had way too many guards and he'd struggle to find minutes even if playing well. okogie, shamet, divincenzo all got lucky as mid to end of first round guards in that their teams could and have been using them. Allen hasn't been so lucky.

Allen has had a lot of opportunity since the beginning of the season. He even started a game. I think he has looked ok, he has been a decent spot up shooter, his athleticism has shown as well. He is still struggling a little on the defensive side and obviously we haven't seen much play making, but I don't think he is being asked to do that which is fine. I don't know if he has shown enough to really warrant more minutes, I mean it it's Royce's minutes then I am ok with that, but honestly Burks should probably get those minutes.

False. He's a rookie who's had 4 DNPs in the first 12 games, started 1 game out of injury/necessity but didn't really touch the ball in the first half. Othewise, he has only had spot minutes other than a good game at dallas and garbage minutes against toronto and memphis. Impossible for him to get in a rhythm and that is far from alot of opportunity for a rookie who had consistent minutes in preseason. Exum is someone who has had alot of opportunity. I agree with burks getting most of the backup SG minutes, but I think allen has shown enough that he should be thrown in there periodically for 3 guard/wing lineups with mitchell/burks, mitchell/o'neale, or burks/o'neale. Although he's a mature rook with plenty of big game experience at duke, he's still just a rookie who can't be judged on the very spotty minutes he's gotten.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#71 » by vryadli » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:27 am

Is it just me? In the end of third I again clearly saw "star" body language: "we are great... that game is done deal" Slow bringing ball, relaxed taking position on defense... like all stars against D-league... and I thought Oh-oh, that doesn't look good...
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#72 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 am

LesGrossman wrote:Wow you are harsh. Why so angry? I get the tongue in cheek saltiness but come on. Its a sport and a business. Its not like any of you would not have done it in the blink of an eye, for a tenth of the money. I'm sure theres a purely economical rationale behind the way he handled it too. Dont think he was mindless nor evil minded.

No need of this kind of posts.
Les is welcome to our boards since he is not attacking anybody and simply giving his opinion.

Thanks

FJS
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#73 » by sipclip » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:09 pm

stitches wrote:
sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:I disagree A LOT with this sentiment. Quin had a great plan and Brad was the one not ready for it it seems. That's why we jumped to a huge lead and that's why even after the halftime we continued to build the lead. Great high-low game, great slips of screens by the bigs, great PnR with Gobert complemented by Ingles keeping defenders guessing all game long and getting layup after layup in the first half. At half time we lead by what? 6 points? It felt like we should be leading by 15 at that point. The only reason the score got close at the end is because Marcus Smart who is 20% shooter all of a sudden couldn't miss a 3. Just rewatch the game and see how many absolutely terrible shots Boston took in this game. We absolutely destroyed them in the paint and on the boards and that is where you need to destroy them when they play small. I loved Quin's game management, I loved his subs and rotation in this one. I loved when he took his timeouts.

People continue to make the mistake of thinking that iso-ball nowadays is dictated by the offense. In most cases it is NOT - when the opponent switches everything (and that's what Boston does a lot of the time) you HAVE to play iso-ball...there were also some new wrinkles I had not seen before that we used with mixed success - for example we used Mitchell as a hub for the offense in the middle of the zone at free throw line extended in several possessions. It's interesting to see how it goes in the future.

I'm generally very happy with both our coaches and our players in this game. If we execute and play with the same urgency defensively in all games we will be alright. This is the reason I'm not freaking out after the 4 losses like a lot of people... the thing that we are missing is the thing that has been most consistent with this team in the previous 3 seasons - the elite defense and I'm waiting for the bigger sample to separate the noise from the signal. I think once we click on D, we will be alright.

I've had the exact same realization a few games ago. I even thought about posting something about the forum becoming way too negative, but decided against it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that feeling.
This team was playing horrible basketball. Especially at home so complaining about being too negative doesn't exist because this team deserves the backlash. Even these last 2 games don't mean much with the mavs not being any good and the celtics coming in off a tough win the night before and missing Irving. In both cases our offensive ineptitude almost let them back into the game which is a joke. In spite of these last 2 wins this team still looks bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

We just had 126 offensive rating against the best defense in the league. I'm sorry but I cannot take this continuous fake narrative about the offense struggling seriously. The offense is doing alright. It's not great but with the current talent it's doing more than well. Do we have stretches when we struggle offensively? YES! Does every single team in the league have those? YES! The problem is with unrealistic expectations, not with the offense. The offense is alright. What has been problem for this team so far this season is the defense not matching the talent we have.
No need to use this tone and language. The offense is the problem. It grinds us to a halt in games because we go large stretches struggling to score. baiting and incindiary. The offense is a huge problem. The defense is also a big problem as well but the offensive droughts are the largest problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#74 » by outerspacefella » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:44 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Jimmy Recard wrote:Is Exum hurt or is he in the doghouse?

He looked like a clueless rookie in his 3 minutes and Quin had seen enough.

That's it. Not a good game to choke. Wish he proves me wrong but right now I'm putting to rest my hopes on him. If Jazz cannot use him in a game like this one, well... there's no more much to say. We could have found some use for a Smart guy though... :roll:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#75 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:07 pm

This thread is getting a bit too chippy and needs a timeout.

EDIT - Thread unlocked. Be nice.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#76 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm

dautjazz wrote:Maybe Boston figures out how to incorporate Hayward, but for now it seems like starting him, is causing Tatum and Brown to struggle, well and Hayward as well. Like nobody understands their roles.

Yes, Tatum and Brown's EFG% is down significantly from last season and Hayward's is down significantly from his last season with us. They all have diminished offensive roles from where they left off in previous season(s). Now all three players are struggling to find a good rhythm. Boston has dropped from number 18 ranked offense last season to number 27 this season.

But Boston defense is very good again. I expect one or more of Hayward, Tatum and Brown will get hotter and Boston will finish with a much better win percentage than where they are now.

dautjazz wrote:At this juncture, I think Hayward would been much better if he stayed in the Jazz. Oh well, all in the past now.

The easier path to All Star games that Hayward probably expected might not ever materialize --- certainly not this season. Besides competition on his own team, there's Leonard, Butler and Middleton to contend with, along with other up and comers in the EC.

Return to Utah Jazz