Game 13: Utah Jazz (6-6) @ Memphis Grizzlies (7-4)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Game 13: Utah Jazz (6-6) @ Memphis Grizzlies (7-4) 

Post#1 » by FJS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 am

ImageVSImage

Monday, 19th, 2018
Memphis, Tennessee
6:00 MDT
FedEx Forum

ImageImageImageImageImage

BENCHES

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz

Re: Game 13: Utah Jazz (6-6) @ Memphis Grizzlies (7-4) 

Post#2 » by FJS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 am

REGULAR SEASON TEAM LEADERS:

PPG: Image 22.3
RPG: Image 13.3
APG: Image 7.9
SPG: Image 1.8
BPG: Image 2.3

PPG: Image 18.1
RPG: Image 9.2
APG: Image 6.0
SPG: Image 2.0
BPG: Image 1.5
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz

Post#3 » by FJS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 am

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,075

Post#4 » by Rauxcee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Third times the charm.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#5 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Burks only got 6 minutes and one shot attempt in our first loss against Memphis and he was out completely the second loss. It would be nice to see Burks get some minutes and get it going to help us finally get a win against Memphis.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#6 » by JazzyPhinz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 pm

The Grizz just have our number. Everyone remember last year they were blowing us out and then sat Gasol the entire 2nd half to tank?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:The Grizz just have our number. Everyone remember last year they were blowing us out and then sat Gasol the entire 2nd half to tank?

Yes. That was an epic tank job. One of the most blatant tanking efforts I've seen. I'm generally okay with tanking but not with throwing games, which is what they did that night.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#8 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I got you.
I'm generally okay with eating meat but not with killing cows.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:I got you.

Meh, I wouldn't say it's the same thing. You can lose a lot of games without the coach trying to lose on purpose. Players should play to win and coaches should coach to win and do the most with the roster they have available. What roster is available is up to the front office and GM, so if they give the coach a weak roster that will lose a lot of games then he will lose a lot of games, but he shouldn't purposely lose the games he happens to be in great position to win, which is what the coach did that game.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#10 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Agree with those that said Grizz have our number. Its crazy because they really seem to step up against the Jazz. They seem to hit a higher percentage of their threes and just overall outperform as a team when they face us. Hopefully tonight will be different...
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't say it's the same thing. You can lose a lot of games without the coach trying to lose on purpose. Players should play to win and coaches should coach to win and do the most with the roster they have available. What roster is available is up to the front office and GM, so if they give the coach a weak roster that will lose a lot of games then he will lose a lot of games, but he shouldn't purposely lose the games he happens to be in great position to win, which is what the coach did that game.
I got you.
I'm generally okay with sex but not with people doing dirty things.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I got you.
I'm generally okay with sex but not with people doing dirty things.

Not fair. I can't make a joke and keep it clean, and I have a million of them.

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Not fair. I can't make a joke and keep it clean, and I have a million of them.
Half joke, half serious.

My point is:

If you want to tank but you're not eager to throw games...

Then, you're a lame tanker.

And you will find there's other nine or ten teams not so moral and ethical like you. Their GMs would never allow players like Marc Gasol spending more time at court that with the fisios nor they would hire a coach unabled to take blatanly tanking decissions.

You'll never get Zion.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:18 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Not fair. I can't make a joke and keep it clean, and I have a million of them.
Half joke, half serious.
My point is:
If you want to tank but you're no eager to throw games...

Then, you're a lame tanker.

And you will find there's other nine or ten teams not so moral and ethical like you. Their GMs would never allow players like Marc Gasol spending more time at court that with the fisios nor they would hire a coach unabled to take blatanly tanking decissions.

You'll never get Zion.

I think over the years it was proven you can be a terrible team without the coach or players throwing games. It would have been one thing if the Grizzlies' FO\GM or whomever, decided that Gasol shouldn't play at all and sit the game out. But once he was allowed to play and was absolutely killing the Jazz, the coach had no business benching him for most of the 2nd half, especially when they were positioned to win. That was a bridge too far. And I don't think many teams resorted to this way of throwing a game--the closest thing I can come up with is what the Warriors did in the last game of the season so they could keep their pick that became Harrison Barnes.

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I think over the years it was proven you can be a terrible team without the coach or players throwing games. It would have been one thing if the Grizzlies' FO\GM or whomever, decided that Gasol shouldn't play at all and sit the game out. But once he was allowed to play and was absolutely killing the Jazz, the coach had no business benching him for most of the 2nd half, especially when they were positioned to win. That was a bridge too far. And I don't think many teams resorted to this way of throwing a game--the closest thing I can come up with is what the Warriors did in the last game of the season so they could keep their pick that became Harrison Barnes.

I think over the years it was proven you can be a terrible team without tanking.
If you're bad, you're bad. You're not tanking. You don't need to. You just need a newbie millionare owner convinced he knows more about basketball than anybody or a dumb GM paying maximums to fake stars.

You're tanking when you're good enough to win some games to get you out from lottery picks but you decide you will lose them.

And I see it year after year on a daily basis: Players killing it and being benched and players sucking and getting lots of minutes.

This is what tanking is about.

Succesful tanking, I mean.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:You're tanking when you're good enough to win some games to get you out from lottery picks but you decide you will lose them.

That depends on how it happens. If your front office deliberately constructs a weak team--weak enough that even if the coach and players try their best to win they'd still lose a lot of games, that's one thing. Or, if they have a team that will get to the lottery anyway but with 35 wins, and they choose to make it a 25 win team. That's still tanking, but still acceptable imho. But if in the course of a game, your weak team is actually doing well and is positioned to win, then it is not okay to lose that game on purpose, which is what the Grizzlies' coach did. There is a big difference between deciding to lose games on a managerial\FO level, and deciding to lose games on the coach\player level. In my humble opinion, the former is acceptable, the latter is not.

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:There is a big difference between deciding to lose games on a managerial\FO level, and deciding to lose games on the coach\player level. In my humble opinion, the former is acceptable, the latter is not.
In my arrogant opinion, they are acceptable or unacceptable the same.

If I find acceptable loser FO decissions, it's absolutely consistent finding acceptable loser coaching decissions ("I sit this guy killing it and I order balls to that other guy sucking it") or loser player decissions ("I'll do my numbers and don't give a s*it about the rest") or even loser fanbase decissions ("Bench this guy! He's making us win games and we want Zion, not a no-man's land season!").

All of them are human beings with equal rights and deserve the same judgement.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#18 » by ducler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#19 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Stop the Mack Attack!

I was looking at the new ESPN Power Rankings and they gave a shoutout to the Grizz' Shelvin Mack, saying that he has been spectacular in both the backup point guard and backup shooting guard roles. Over the last five games, Shelvin averaged 14.6 ppg on 58.7% and 55.6% 3 point shooting. For the Jazz, ESPN gave a shoutout to Jae Crowder.

They've got the Jazz ranked #11 and the Grizz #12. Go Jazz!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25243455/nba-power-rankings-our-expert-panel-ranks-league-30-teams-ahead-week-5
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#20 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Utah Jazz