I think it is time to worry about Mitchell.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

I think it is time to worry about Mitchell. 

Post#1 » by sipclip » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm

I know we all had star expectations for the kid but his lack of size at the sg position is becoming exposed. He is having a very difficult time finding clean looks against bigger players and he is basically always going against bigger players. His shooting percentages are downright putrid and on a better team he probably would have been benched by now for his shot selection. Expectations need to be reset with this kid and unfortunately not in a good way. Sorry guys but this team is still missing that go to guy and without that guy we are treadmill city.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach

Re: I think it is time to worry about Mitchell. 

Post#2 » by sipclip » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Unless Mitchell can transition to the pg position he is basically a worse shooting Ben Gordon.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#3 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:43 pm

I am starting to worry too, but only 12 games into the season I am willing to wait until the end of December to see how things play out. He does need to shoot more efficiently and be much better at having a plan b when driving to the hoop.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#4 » by sipclip » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Unfortunately he has gone from having an above average first step to just an average first step and that has led to far less clean looks all over the court. Hopefully it is just a health issue but even if that is the case I don't trust the jazz to actually be patient with him to get healthy. They have already shown a propensity to allow him to play through injuries which is fine for larger or more skilled players that don't have to rely on their athleticism to get good looks but that isn't he case with Mitchell.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 pm

I remember a few of us were worried about him before the season, and I think those concerns have come to life. He’s just not explosive as he was last season, and other areas of his games besides scoring have not improved. How much of that is due the world tour, injury, or tougher defense I don’t know...but he’s definitely not taken a step forward. It’s fair to say he’s taken some steps back.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Once in a while DM will make an athletic play but for the most part he doesn't seem to be as explosive or athletic as last season.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#7 » by Rauxcee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 pm

As stated he's missing something athletically. Not sure what it is, some lingering injury or what, but he's missing something there. It's affected his game some.

I don't know what the stats say, but outside of the first 3 games I thought his shooting around the rim has been comparable to last year (eye test only). His 3pt shooting has been awful though.

In fact, the whole team's shooting is so terrible right now. I don't understand what happened and why this entire team can't shoot. They are missing wide open looks and free throws at an alarming rate. It doesn't get any easier than those and this team can't convert.

There is not a single player, except maybe Gobert or Crowder, that has played consistently. And I'm not even sure I can say that about them either.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#8 » by dr0welf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 am

The Igor affect? Maybe Igor brought more to the players shooting and conditioning then what we realized. The shooting is horrid at best for most the players. Even Gobert's FT% I believe has gone down from last year.

Either it's Igor or they changed enough in the system this year that all the players are thinking too much instead of just playing in rhythm. One way or another this is a problem with everyone on the team and therefor is a coaching/system issue.

Maybe those 3 hour practices are just too much....
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#9 » by KqWIN » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:53 pm

To answer the question about Mitchell’s rim shooting, his percentage is way up (very good in fact) but his attempt rate is lower. Although, that is somewhat offset by his FTr being up. Oh paper, Rauxee’s observation is correct.

Where he’s fallen behind this year is his 3 point shooting and floater game, both of which have been awful. He’s been taking a lot of shots from floater range, same amount as at the rim, and been absolutely horrendous at converting them (31.4%).

He’s got to find a way to turn those floaters into layups or FT’s...but to my eye, he’s just not been explosive or quick enough to get over or around big men at the basket.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#10 » by Tom349 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:04 am

His IQ is the biggest issue. He keeps making bad reads and therefore is forced into bad shots.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#11 » by Luigi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 am

Efficiency has always been his biggest weakness. In today's NBA, it might just be a better 3 point shot away to open his game back up.

He should probably be watching more Kyrie Irving tape.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#12 » by Catchall » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:53 am

I like what he did tonight. He was using screens, getting past his defender and either getting to the rim, or taking a good shot from mid-range.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 944

Post#13 » by tleikheen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 am

21 missed shots ………………. 0 assists ,lose by 6 points and be credited with keeping Utah in the game ...bullsh*t
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 am

Blame solely lies on DL’s shoulders, he did nothing to improve the team.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#15 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:12 am

tleikheen wrote:21 missed shots ………………. 0 assists ,lose by 6 points and be credited with keeping Utah in the game ...bullsh*t
Yep. The kid is not being held accountable for his bad play because he comes off so likable. This crap needs to end.

Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#16 » by Charlie_S » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:27 am

Surround him with better shooters and his efficiency will go up. You can't win in this league if you trot out lineups with 3 non-shooters, period.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#17 » by tleikheen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:17 am

Surround him with better shooters and his efficiency will go up. You can't win in this league if you trot out lineups with 3 non-shooters, period.
excuses

You missed 3 games Utah played against Memphis …….. Conley .306 from 3pt, JJJ .241 from 3 pt,Slo-Mo .200 from 3 pt,as poor as shooters as DM as around him and Memphis is W9 - L5
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#18 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:27 am

You need another scorer to take some of his load, that will really improve his efficiency.

He is being a team player now by taking all those shots because the alternative options are letting role players like Ingles, Rubio or Gobert create shots for you.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#19 » by tleikheen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am

He is being a team player now by taking all those shots because the alternative options are letting role players like Ingles, Rubio or Gobert create shots for you.

A team player ….taking as many shots as the 4 other starters combined ,35 shots ( Favors 5/5,Ingles 6/12, Gobert 5/10, Rubio 4/8 , a combined 20 /35) In a close game where every starter made half his shots isn't being a team player.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#20 » by AingesBurner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

No player is to blame, the FO did nothing to improve the team. We all new Favors wouldn’t get any better, we all knew Ricky would have a shaky start, and we all said we need a secondary scorer.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz