I think it is time to worry about Mitchell.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: I think it is time to worry about Mitchell. 

Post#21 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Expectations need to be re set for Mitchell. He was viewed as a future superstar and those expectations need to be reduced drastically. Right now we need to view him more as Eric Gordon who is still a solid player but certainly not a franchise savior like he had been viewed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#22 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:31 pm

GobertReport wrote:No player is to blame, the FO did nothing to improve the team. We all new Favors wouldn’t get any better, we all knew Ricky would have a shaky start, and we all said we need a secondary scorer.
This is where I think we are going to look back in 2 years at passing on Anfernee Simons and say what the hell were we thinking. We new whoever we took in the first round wasn't likely to play so who cares about taking a kid that will take a little longer but has huge upside.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#23 » by outerspacefella » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 am

Mitchell:
- will get better
- will have a hard time trying to repeat last season performance
- will be a great Jazzman for years to come

Some other thoughts:
- Tell me I'm an idiot if you want, it's all good, but I really really believe our 1 and 5 starters (beside little stretches here and there) are playing some bad basketball... very bad to be honest... killler to be honest...
- I know it's kind of a bridge season, but some help should have... well... helped!

-
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#24 » by FJS » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:59 am

so far Mitchell is trying better looks
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm

outerspacefella wrote:Mitchell:
- I know it's kind of a bridge season, but some help should have... well... helped!
-

I can't think of a single season that wasn't a bridge season ever since Deron was traded.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#26 » by mudsak » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:44 pm

I think people's expectations were raised a little too high after how incredible Mitchell was last year.

Teams are ready for Mitchell this year... he's been actively scouted by every team now. Defensively teams are adjusting specifically to Mitchell when they play the Jazz. This is obviously putting more pressure on Mitchell, and it's going to take him some time to adjust his game to that.

I think another HUGE aspect that no one really seems to realize is that Mitchell is the only dynamic scorer on this Jazz roster. Perhaps Burks could fit into that category if given some more opportunity. Rudy is extremely 1-dimensional when it comes to offense. Everyone on this Jazz team needs someone to set them up in order to score. Mitchell is the only guy who can just create offense from nothing. Having another guy that could be a real threat like that would go a LONG way into free-ing Mitchell up a bit more imo.

I wish Gobert had any post-up skills what-so-ever. If he could add that to his game it would open up the offense immensely imo.

As it stands now I think Mitchell simply carries too much of the offensive burden on his shoulders. The Jazz needs another consistent weapon to balance the attack.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#27 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
-

I can't think of a single season that wasn't a bridge season ever since Deron was traded.

Last year was a bridge season. We put a lot of chips on Hayward resigning, but it didn't work out and left the team in a bad state. The team was set up for him to be here.

We just decided to extend it into two bridge seasons :nonono:
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#28 » by vryadli » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
-

I'd say that's since Q. became the coach. Always developing, always looking for future improvement. Since the cool reaction on one (but most important!!!) game loss in 2016. Actually, if I remember correctly, there 2 or 3 losses in most important matches. Current attidude in the game endings... just unbelievable! That not on players, sorry.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,069

Post#29 » by Rauxcee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
-

I can't think of a single season that wasn't a bridge season ever since Stockton and Malone retired.

Fixed it.

That's how it's always felt to me. Some excuse on why this season didn't work out, so let's see what we have next season when the excuse isn't a factor. Rinse and repeat.

(And I'm mostly happy with what the FO does)
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#30 » by Luigi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Anyone got numbers on how many pick and rolls Mitchell runs?

Not these iso hunting picks 5 feet behind the 3 point line, actual picks where the big can roll or pop. I don't think I see many at all, and it could help him open up some better options on offense.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#31 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Luigi wrote:Anyone got numbers on how many pick and rolls Mitchell runs?

Not these iso hunting picks 5 feet behind the 3 point line, actual picks where the big can roll or pop. I don't think I see many at all, and it could help him open up some better options on offense.

I mean...iso hunting is the same thing as the defense deciding to switch the PnR. It was mentioned a different thread, but iso ball is more determined by the defense than the offense. If they switch, all you can do is beat matchups 1v1 in some capacity.

As far as the numbers themselves...the NBA seems to have removed PnR ball handler from their interface. But you can still find it by googling, although it doesn't seem like they are updating these numbers regularly. Mitchell, through 7 games, was top 5 in the league.

https://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=PossG&dir=1

It matches what I'm seeing on the court as well. The iso possessions seem to stick out the most to some people, but I'd say his shots most commonly come after a pick is set.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#32 » by Luigi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:18 am

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:Anyone got numbers on how many pick and rolls Mitchell runs?

I mean...iso hunting is the same thing as the defense deciding to switch the PnR. It was mentioned a different thread, but iso ball is more determined by the defense than the offense. If they switch, all you can do is beat matchups 1v1 in some capacity.

As far as the numbers themselves...the NBA seems to have removed PnR ball handler from their interface. But you can still find it by googling, although it doesn't seem like they are updating these numbers regularly. Mitchell, through 7 games, was top 5 in the league.

https://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=PossG&dir=1

It matches what I'm seeing on the court as well. The iso possessions seem to stick out the most to some people, but I'd say his shots most commonly come after a pick is set.

Thanks for checking! I need to poke around those data centers more often.

The main difference I see between the iso hunt pick, and the pick and roll/pop is where it begins. These picks that are set 3 feet behind the 3 point line don't give the big much of a chance to roll. If the shooter is good enough (lots now), it forces you to try to go over the screen, or switch (because screeners can move in the NBA with no whistles). I think picks set inside the 3 point line can lead to more action. The big can roll, pop, the guard can penetrate, pull up, cross the lane with a pass. But the midrange has lost a lot of value, so some of that inside action might be less attractive today. But I'll still take it over the iso hunt right now, and there's always the weakside 3 to hit (the one Memo would eat up with Boozer/Williams).

Maybe Mitchell can patent a version of the Harden 4 stepback 3 off of the elbow pick and roll, and we'll call it a day :lol:
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#33 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 am

I always chuckle when I see someone write about what Alec Burks can do “if given the opportunity”. The dude has been in the NBA for like 7 years now!!

Mitchell is too small to be a truly great player in this league unless he becomes an elite shooter. When his shot is falling, that opens up his drives and finishes inside. When his shot is sucking (as it mostly has this season) he has tough nights.

The #1 goal for Mitchell and this coaching staff needs to be to get him at like 75% from midrange and 40% from 3. If that never happens, his career will be a flash in the pan with potential to stick around a while like Tyreke Evans.

Return to Utah Jazz