Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#161 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:That's an awesome contract for the Nets. Makes him a good trade asset too--I'd love to have him at that price.

Link (player option on year 3):
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251912/Spencer-Dinwiddie-Agrees-To-Three-Year-$34M-Extension-With-Nets

Yep... I pegged him relatively well... I wonder if he could have gotten more in the summer, but I guess having in mind his injury history(acl injury) this is a good contract securing some financial stability.

Would you rather have Dinwiddie on 34 or Exum on 33?

I've always been an Exum defender but until he consistently plays up to his contract, I'd take Dinwiddie, who has done just that for a few seasons now and will do so for few seasons more. He's also a much better fit to the Jazz. Exum does not and has never fit the offense Snyder has implemented, and Snyder hasn't been able to utilize his strengths. It's just not a good fit.

Strengths? What strengths? And don’t talk to me about speed, because This dude can’t even make a layup Or pass so what good is the speed?
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#162 » by LesGrossman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:39 pm

The same people claiming our guys do not have the slightest strength or skill after a loss are nowhere to be seen or heard of after the next blow out. I'm glad the management isnt thinking as short sighted. Just wondering who the first "throw it away and start to tank already" guy will be :lol:
The reason for the losses isnt Rubio missing, or Exum missing, or (remarkably people love to ignore this) Ingles missing. Its a structural / strategical problem with both the offense and the defense. Either adjust the system to the people we have, or replace the people to fit the system. I think everyone is doing their job, they are just not used to their best strengths.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#163 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:19 pm

The problem, Les, is all of them missing. And yeah we get hot some nights and win. Apparently that and being second to last in the Western Conference is good enough for you?
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#164 » by vryadli » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:The problem, Les, is all of them missing. And yeah we get hot some nights and win. Apparently that and being second to last in the Western Conference is good enough for you?

If all of them suddenly and simultaneously started to miss and stopped to defend, there has to be some common problem, right? And it is reasonable the this problem will stay even if every one single player will be replaced, yes?

At least that would be suggestion in any scientific discipline - 15 independent objects change behavior in similar way - look for a cause which are outside of object and is in similar relation to which of them. That's pretty solid conclusion under the circumstances - isn't it?
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#165 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

vryadli wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:The problem, Les, is all of them missing. And yeah we get hot some nights and win. Apparently that and being second to last in the Western Conference is good enough for you?

If all of them suddenly and simultaneously started to miss and stopped to defend, there has to be some common problem, right? And it is reasonable the this problem will stay even if every one single player will be replaced, yes?

At least that would be suggestion in any scientific discipline - 15 independent objects change behavior in similar way - look for a cause which are outside of object and is in similar relation to which of them. That's pretty solid conclusion under the circumstances - isn't it?

So what is the cause as you see it? Mitchell’s inefficienct chucking and lackluster effort has effected the rest of the team?
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#166 » by TO11 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
TO11 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I've always been an Exum defender but until he consistently plays up to his contract, I'd take Dinwiddie, who has done just that for a few seasons now and will do so for few seasons more. He's also a much better fit to the Jazz. Exum does not and has never fit the offense Snyder has implemented, and Snyder hasn't been able to utilize his strengths. It's just not a good fit.

What offensive systems fits a player that misses layups?

If there is better spacing, less players will clog the paint and challenge the shot, making it easier for him to convert the layups. So will a system that pushes the ball better and puts emphasis on transition game, in which there are less defenders around the basket. Also, let's not ignore the fact that our system causes Exum to stand in the corner a lot, and\or forces him to shoot from distance, which he isn't good at and not the best use of his abilities.

It's true we don't run out in transition very much, so I guess you have a good point there...although I am not confident Exum would excel in transition. The system does focus a lot on spacing the problem is that a lot of teams are playing way off Exum...maybe they could try and run him in the PnR more to get him mismatches. I don't know. I guess I lean on the side of this being more Exum than the system.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#167 » by vryadli » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
vryadli wrote:

So what is the cause as you see it? Mitchell’s inefficienct chucking and lackluster effort has effected the rest of the team?

Of course - no. DM is just one of those 15 who shows lackluster effort. No way one young boy could effect number of more mature player like that. Moreover, not only DM is in general reasonbly modest boy, his decrease in efficiency is rather less than of those Ingles and Rubio and even Rudy. No, something has to be higher on food chain.

How about that: we had some change in coaching personnel, for example. May be Igor compensated some Quinn gaps in game motivation and psycholodgy and now they are exposed.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#168 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:45 pm

vryadli wrote:How about that: we had some change in coaching personnel, for example. May be Igor compensated some Quinn gaps in game motivation and psycholodgy and now they are exposed.

Interesting. I hadnt thought of the absence of Igor being an impact. Of course if it is....then perhaps Igor can claim the same of Quin's absence..... :D
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#169 » by sipclip » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 pm

If this next 11 games goes bad how would you all feel about a trade Rubio for Rivers and Okobo? The suns add a vet pg that can maybe provide some leadership while we get a player in Rivers that is expiring but has also looked pretty good his last couple years with the clippers and might be worth a look. For me it is about getting a free look at Okobo though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#170 » by stitches » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:27 pm

I cringe with disgust and shiver with fear as I'm typing this but... should we get Austin Rivers:

Read on Twitter

? :oops: :x
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#171 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

No. Please, no.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#172 » by CAE15 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Austin Rivers gets such a bad rap, people just remember him flaming out with the New Orleans then being rescued by his daddy in LA. But since then he has actually been a decent rotation player. He's been a jazz killer at times and is a highly underrated defender and serviceable 3 point shooter. Only a couple of problems here is us not having an open roster spot, questionable attitude at times but it's definitely been better since his New Orleans days, does he fit the locker room?

I mean, he definitely has some skill and can create his own shot. He could end up playing a lil hero ball too much but at this point. What would it really hurt?

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#173 » by reapaman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Rivers is only 26, improved the last few years and he was pretty solid the last 2 years before the wizards stunted his growth this year. He obviously wants to win which is why he gave up money to do it. He could be a decent sixth man.

However, thats not happening now because DL signed Exum to that stupid contract and traded for Korver so both of them need to be played to justify DL's existence as the GM. So there are no minutes for Rivers here.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#174 » by KqWIN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

I don’t know if you guys remember this Locke conspiracy moment...but back when we traded for George Hill, Locke mentioned two players that would fit the bill as a PG. One was Hill, the other was Jrue Holiday. If I had to bet on it, those were the two players the Jazz were targeting.

With all this AD trade surfacing, you have to wonder if they will be looking to rebuild if AD forces his way out. It seems like most franchises prefer to stay competitive...but if they do decide to rebuild, Jrue might become available again.

Getting Jrue would be a dream. He’d instantly be the second best player on the team and is a perfect fit for our team, as he is for pretty much every team in the league. He’s not a top 10 player, but he’d be a major talent upgrade under contract for years.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:17 pm

KqWIN wrote:I don’t know if you guys remember this Locke conspiracy moment...but back when we traded for George Hill, Locke mentioned two players that would fit the bill as a PG. One was Hill, the other was Jrue Holiday. If I had to bet on it, those were the two players the Jazz were targeting.

With all this AD trade surfacing, you have to wonder if they will be looking to rebuild if AD forces his way out. It seems like most franchises prefer to stay competitive...but if they do decide to rebuild, Jrue might become available again.

Getting Jrue would be a dream. He’d instantly be the second best player on the team and is a perfect fit for our team, as he is for pretty much every team in the league. He’s not a top 10 player, but he’d be a major talent upgrade under contract for years.

Yes Jrue would be amazing but he makes a boatload of money and we'd have to trade multiple of our own first round picks to get him (including our own 2019 pick which is looking like it could be a top 8 pick).....because the Pelicans wont care about cap space since no free agents are going there and they would laugh if we tried to offer Exum, Rubio, or any of the other scrubs we have.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#176 » by stitches » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

What do you think we will need to give up to get him? I don't think he will come cheap.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#177 » by Luigi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 pm

I'd rather tank than try to fix things with Rivers caliber pickups. That's way too small beans to make any real difference.

Unless we can make a move for Love or Mirotic, or T Harris, there's no point.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#178 » by KqWIN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I don’t know if you guys remember this Locke conspiracy moment...but back when we traded for George Hill, Locke mentioned two players that would fit the bill as a PG. One was Hill, the other was Jrue Holiday. If I had to bet on it, those were the two players the Jazz were targeting.

Yes Jrue would be amazing but he makes a boatload of money and we'd have to trade multiple of our own first round picks to get him (including our own 2019 pick which is looking like it could be a top 8 pick).....because the Pelicans wont care about cap space since no free agents are going there and they would laugh if we tried to offer Exum, Rubio, or any of the other scrubs we have.

He doesn’t get paid a ton. Not with the cap going up. Tobias Harris is a worse player than Jrue, but he’s likely going to have multiple suitors for a max contract. That will cost 4/$147M. Jrue would essentially be on a 3/$79M contract. He would be a big time discount.

As far as putting together a trade package though...idk how we do it. We have very few players worth anything of value. Gobert, Ingles, and Mitchell are the only players who could fetch a first round.

Jrue is a few years older than Beal. But I think Jrue is a better player. I am very high on him. If we are willing to throw the house at Beal, we ought to be willing to give up a lot for Jrue as well.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:57 pm

KqWIN wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:

He doesn’t get paid a ton. Not with the cap going up. Tobias Harris is a worse player than Jrue, but he’s likely going to have multiple suitors for a max contract. That will cost 4/$147M. Jrue would essentially be on a 3/$79M contract. He would be a big time discount.

As far as putting together a trade package though...idk how we do it. We have very few players worth anything of value. Gobert, Ingles, and Mitchell are the only players who could fetch a first round.

Jrue is a few years older than Beal. But I think Jrue is a better player. I am very high on him. If we are willing to throw the house at Beal, we ought to be willing to give up a lot for Jrue as well.

Dude I am right there with you. If only Pellies would do it for Exum, Rubio, and a first I would do it for sure.....
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#180 » by Luigi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

To move Exum, we're going to have to wait for his value to rise again. He was peaking after playing defense for a few possessions on James Harden in the playoffs. It's going to be harder now, since everybody probably knows what we should have after his rookie year. He's not a basketball player. We let injuries and hope convince us he was.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.

Return to Utah Jazz