What is Donovan Mitchell’s trade value?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

What is Donovan Mitchell’s trade value? 

Post#1 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Let’s say the Jazz secretly felt Mitchell has peaked and will never become more than he already has been. What could Mitchell net them in a trade right now?
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Re: What is Donovan Mitchell’s trade value? 

Post#2 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Whoops. This was meant for the General board.....I will go post it there but I guess it will be interesting to see Jazz fan responses.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:41 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Let’s say the Jazz secretly felt Mitchell has peaked and will never become more than he already has been. What could Mitchell net them in a trade right now?

I don't know about trade value; I imagine it is still very high, and hopefully Mitchell hasn't peaked. Most players don't peak in their sophomore year and this season is still less than half over.

I was trying to think of other prominent sophomores who led their teams in scoring with 20+ ppg on relatively inefficient shooting percentages, but who went on to become outstanding offensive players, and I remembered Carmelo Anthony:

http://bkref.com/tiny/aOgUq

Melo led the Nuggets in scoring his sophomore year while averaging 20.8 ppg with .448 eFG%, .526 TS% and .266 on threes. Mitchell is leading the Jazz his sophomore year while averaging 20.3 ppg, .464 eFG%, .501 TS% and .292 on threes. Mitchell is older than Melo was, but we already know that Mitchell can do better, because he averaged 20.5 ppg, .506 eFG%, .541 TS% and .340 on threes his rookie season.

Tyreke Evans is the prominent player I can think of who peaked his rookie year, 2009-10, when he won ROY while averaging 20.1 ppg. It wasn't until last season, 2017-18, that he arguably had just as good or better numbers, including way more efficient shooting, but he only played 52 games and he put up those offensive numbers on the Grizz when they were in tank mode.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#4 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 pm

P.S. I know most Jazz fans don't like Melo, that he was a bit selfish and he wasn't a winner, so maybe Melo's career is an unfortunate choice for comparison :lol:, but it would still be pretty hard to argue against the proposition that Melo went way beyond his sophomore year performance to develop in to a great offensive talent.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Honestly I am more worried he is becoming Tyreke Evans than Melo.....I mean as Tyreke he will still have a long career but he wont be the franchise player we thought he'd be last season....
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#6 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:42 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Honestly I am more worried he is becoming Tyreke Evans than Melo.....I mean as Tyreke he will still have a long career but he wont be the franchise player we thought he'd be last season....

Yes I am worried too, but just feel like it is too early to panic.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#7 » by sipclip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I would be ecstatic if Mitchell became a similar caliber player to a peak Melo but he is missing one very important thing and that is size. Mitchell is tiny for a sg and if he continues to play sg I don't see him being even an all star caliber player. That is where Dante could make or break Mitchell's career. If Dante becomes a good starting pg then that changes things because Mitchell can play sg but the opposing teams pg will be guarding him and vice versa if Dante can develop enough offensively to make him an instant mismatch against opposing pg's. As of now this is still just a pipedream but with Dantes recent play you can at least see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#8 » by devilsadvocate9 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Is there any history of a player in a similar situation (2nd year borderline all star, near ROY) that was traded? What was the return?
I think of Michael Carter Williams but that's a bad example.
His low cap makes it hard to match salaries for a similar star.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:00 pm

sipclip wrote:I would be ecstatic if Mitchell became a similar caliber player to a peak Melo but he is missing one very important thing and that is size. Mitchell is tiny for a sg and if he continues to play sg I don't see him being even an all star caliber player. That is where Dante could make or break Mitchell's career. If Dante becomes a good starting pg then that changes things because Mitchell can play sg but the opposing teams pg will be guarding him and vice versa if Dante can develop enough offensively to make him an instant mismatch against opposing pg's. As of now this is still just a pipedream but with Dantes recent play you can at least see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

If Mitchell's career is dependent on Dante, then I say trade him for sure :P

Seriously though you make a great point about Mitchell's size. If he will be elite, then he needs to become an elite SHOOTER. So far he's not even a good or average shooter....
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#10 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
sipclip wrote:I would be ecstatic if Mitchell became a similar caliber player to a peak Melo but he is missing one very important thing and that is size. Mitchell is tiny for a sg and if he continues to play sg I don't see him being even an all star caliber player. That is where Dante could make or break Mitchell's career. If Dante becomes a good starting pg then that changes things because Mitchell can play sg but the opposing teams pg will be guarding him and vice versa if Dante can develop enough offensively to make him an instant mismatch against opposing pg's. As of now this is still just a pipedream but with Dantes recent play you can at least see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

If Mitchell's career is dependent on Dante, then I say trade him for sure :P

Seriously though you make a great point about Mitchell's size. If he will be elite, then he needs to become an elite SHOOTER. So far he's not even a good or average shooter....

I think there's a PG with size out there who fits a lot of Jazz criteria. His name is Tomas Satoransky. He's 6'7, 27 yo. plays on and off the ball, can shoot a little, he's european and he'll be pretty cheap on salary. Isn't it what the Jazz need and want ?
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#11 » by sipclip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:

If Mitchell's career is dependent on Dante, then I say trade him for sure

I think there's a PG with size out there who fits a lot of Jazz criteria. His name is Tomas Satoransky. He's 6'7, 27 yo. plays on and off the ball, can shoot a little, he's european and he'll be pretty cheap on salary. Isn't it what the Jazz need and want ?
I don't view him as a starting caliber player. A player that does make some sense is Evan Fournier. I don't want to give up a 1st for him though. In the draft I really like Nickeil Alexander Walker. He isn't a pg but he is a good enough ball handler and passer to provide what we need with Mitchell and he is a very good shooter.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm on the Spencer Dinwiddie bandwagon.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#13 » by Pass_the_rock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:05 pm

sipclip wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:
If Mitchell's career is dependent on Dante, then I say trade him for sure

I don't view him as a starting caliber player. A player that does make some sense is Evan Fournier. I don't want to give up a 1st for him though. In the draft I really like Nickeil Alexander Walker. He isn't a pg but he is a good enough ball handler and passer to provide what we need with Mitchell and he is a very good shooter.

He substituted Wall as a starter quite well last season. I get it that he doesn't excite you but historically he looks like a player DL/QS would go after. He will be cheaper than other options (which the Jazz really like) and stylistically he fits Snyder ball.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#14 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:46 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm on the Spencer Dinwiddie bandwagon.

But they have him on a bargain contract, why would they? I think we have a much better shot at Russell, which would be fine by me. And it sounds like even though this thread is about Mitchell, we're talking a lot more about Rubio. Mitchell plays a lot bigger than he is, but I do feel with eleven years in the pros (started in Spain at 14) that Rubio's best years are behind him. And we're talking about a very inconsistent shooter that basically can't penetrate.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:

But they have him on a bargain contract, why would they?

I don't know. We'll give them something nice.

Honestly, I can't think of trade for him that the Nets will like. But I like him.

As for Russell, the Nets will have the money to match any offer for him so he is not likely to come cheap. I wouldn't trade for him, and rather make an offer in free agency for him instead. I'm not sure I'd like him for what he could potentially cost, though.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#16 » by Stern Fixer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:07 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

But they have him on a bargain contract, why would they?

I don't know. We'll give them something nice.

Honestly, I can't think of trade for him that the Nets will like. But I like him.

As for Russell, the Nets will have the money to match any offer for him so he is not likely to come cheap. I wouldn't trade for him, and rather make an offer in free agency for him instead. I'm not sure I'd like him for what he could potentially cost, though.

Well Exum is absolutely killing it in the Knick game right now , thirteen assists in twenty six minutes is pretty special, even if it is against the league doormat. Maybe we just go after a good backup. Maybe somebody like a Tony Parker, Patty Mills or Shawn Livingston could fit the bill. Actually I think that Austin Rivers may be the best value on the free agent market, but maybe that cat's out of the bag now. Or maybe we're set with Neto and get somebody from the G League. Do you agree that it's time to move on from Rubio?
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#17 » by eLo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:03 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:Honestly I am more worried he is becoming Tyreke Evans than Melo.....I mean as Tyreke he will still have a long career but he wont be the franchise player we thought he'd be last season....

Yes I am worried too, but just feel like it is too early to panic.

its never to early to panic :P i dont know what is current spida trade value, but im sure that honeymoon is over, i guess his best trading value was in past summer but no one would consider trading him back then.Tough call with mitchell, he is terrific scorer good defender, but his size poor bb iq and shooting liabilities makes him decent starter at most, and unfortunately i dont think it will change. When i looked at tonight knicks game he remind me much more hardaway than wade
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#18 » by BudTugly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 am

Necroing this for the laughs. Hahahahaha
Soul Patch
RealGM
And1: 920

Post#19 » by Soul Patch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:15 am

This is the opposite of the Church of Okur.
Jugs wrote:Fark orf slet kent dome wuote ujquote exp
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#20 » by FJS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am

untradeable. too much good.

Return to Utah Jazz