Game 43: Los Angeles Lakers (23-19) @ Utah Jazz (21-21)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: Game 43: Los Angeles Lakers (23-19) @ Utah Jazz (21-21) 

Post#41 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:36 am

KqWIN wrote:Royce is so much better when he sees himself as a shooter and not a ball handler. Let it fly!
dr0welf wrote:Yeah, I think Royce is way better as a catch and shoot guy instead of creating his own shot and shooting off the dribble.
I've been saying since last year that Bruce Bowen and Raja Bell should be the players that we model his game after. Guys that embraced playing tough d and being a spot up shooter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#42 » by vryadli » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 am

KDBG wrote:All the Mitchell haters on this board gonna be hiding for awhile. And you know who you are. The man is proving why people were calling him a future superstar last season.

No, quite other people have to be disappointed, because he abandoned hero ball and shot only 2 3-pointer so far.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#43 » by sipclip » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:40 am

KDBG wrote:Mitchell looks like a PG out there. Playing with a sense of calmness.
It is awesome to see him in the pg role which is the position that his size becomes a strength.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#44 » by BarneyGumble » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:54 am

Here we go. Dig in Jazz!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#45 » by KqWIN » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 am

Laziness has let the Lakers back in the game. That's 2 or 3 plays now where the Jazz have given up on getting an offensive rebound because they just don't care. Throwing the ball away on offense too.

They should have shut the door on this one...but they decided to take an early night off instead. This could get dicey if they are not careful.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#46 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 am

Why can't we have just one hired gun on the bench like a Michael Beasley?
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#47 » by KqWIN » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:05 am

Very fortunate to have some blown fast breaks from the Lakers. Who would've thought that rebounding would be a struggle against a small ball lineup?
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#48 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 am

Wow Royce has shot 9 3pt shots filling in at the SG position today. Normally that's DM shooting them that much.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#49 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 am

Man Royce, box out there
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#50 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 am

Mitchell going to get 10 assists?
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#51 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:31 am

Thought we would see Mitrou-Long more tonight.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#52 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:46 am

This team is soo special with Gobert and Mitchell and role players like Ingles, it almost defies explanation as to why we don't have a better record. Satisfying win tonight though for sure :clap:
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#53 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:07 am

Stern Fixer wrote:This team is soo special with Gobert and Mitchell and role players like Ingles, it almost defies explanation as to why we don't have a better record.

Not really. 3 of our 4 best players have had disappointing starts to the season, but more importantly, Utah's defense just isn't allowed to dominate this year with the way most games are being officiated.

Mitchell is starting to turn it on though, and hopefully the Jazz have a little luck with the officials letting teams play instead of calling things tight. I expect Utah to win a lot more now with the easiest remaining schedule in the league, but I really doubt it will be anything like last year. I don't believe our defense will be allowed to dominate to the point Utah can win 9+ games in a row like a couple of streaks we had last season. Adam Silver seems hell bent to have scores in the 120's and 130's and has unfortunately decided Utah's smothering defense is bad for the NBA.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#54 » by stitches » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 am

Even though Mitchell has been playing better/shooting better it's notable that he's still not going to the FT line. It's a hard life in the NBA if you are going to be a scorer who doesn't go to the line.

BTW as bad as losing all our PGs is, getting some consistent minutes for Mitchell at PG for evaluation and development purposes might not be the worst thing in the world. He's done well so far distributing the ball and running the offense.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#55 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 am

Mitchell has been balling the last 4 games. Not only is he shooting better and more efficiently, he's been making some great reads. He could have easily gotten 12-13 assists tonight if some of the good shots went in. I hope this is a sign that the worst is behind him.

The defense has been much better recently as well.

Now they just need to not crap the bed tomorrow and play down to the level of the opposing team. That's been a real issue this season.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#56 » by mudsak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 am

stitches wrote:Even though Mitchell has been playing better/shooting better it's notable that he's still not going to the FT line. It's a hard life in the NBA if you are going to be a scorer who doesn't go to the line.

BTW as bad as losing all our PGs is, getting some consistent minutes for Mitchell at PG for evaluation and development purposes might not be the worst thing in the world. He's done well so far distributing the ball and running the offense.

I think Mitchell is going to have to adopt foul-baiting into his game tbh... He's going to have to learn how to lean into people on shots to create that contact, etc... like Wade, and Kobe were so good at doing. I've always hated that move, but I think Mitchell will have to actually craft getting to the line into his game.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#57 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:This team is soo special with Gobert and Mitchell and role players like Ingles, it almost defies explanation as to why we don't have a better record.

Not really. 3 of our 4 best players have had disappointing starts to the season, but more importantly, Utah's defense just isn't allowed to dominate this year with the way most games are being officiated.

Mitchell is starting to turn it on though, and hopefully the Jazz have a little luck with the officials letting teams play instead of calling things tight. I expect Utah to win a lot more now with the easiest remaining schedule in the league, but I really doubt it will be anything like last year. I don't believe our defense will be allowed to dominate to the point Utah can win 9+ games in a row like a couple of streaks we had last season. Adam Silver seems hell bent to have scores in the 120's and 130's and has unfortunately decided Utah's smothering defense is bad for the NBA.

Yeah, good points and I hear what you're saying. My point though is that Gobert has morphed into the best center in the NBA by a big margin - he's come so far from the unpolished stone that couldn't catch a pass. McGee who is grossly underrated and underpaid, looked like he deserved his minimum tonight in comparison. And I also feel like many on this board fail to see what even non-Utah fans see in Mitchell. This kid is a rare talent with an incredible BBIQ.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 am

Stern Fixer wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Yeah, good points and I hear what you're saying. My point though is that Gobert has morphed into the best center in the NBA by a big margin - he's come so far from the unpolished stone that couldn't catch a pass. McGee who is grossly underrated and underpaid, looked like he deserved his minimum tonight in comparison. And I also feel like many on this board fail to see what even non-Utah fans see in Mitchell. This kid is a rare talent with an incredible BBIQ.

Gobert is my favorite player. Love him and think he is underrated. But he's not the best center in the NBA.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#59 » by Stern Fixer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 am

Rauxcee wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Gobert is my favorite player. Love him and think he is underrated. But he's not the best center in the NBA.

Well if you say Embiid, it's apples to oranges but at least you have an argument. Jokic, no how, no way!
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 am

Stern Fixer wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

Well if you say Embiid, it's apples to oranges but at least you have an argument. Jokic, no how, no way!

I would say Davis, Embiid, and yes Jokic, are better. Then I'd say Rudy. Maybe I have homer goggles, but I'd take Rudy over KAT and Cousins right now.

Return to Utah Jazz