Game 48: Portland Trailblazers (28-19) @ Utah Jazz (26-21)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Game 48: Portland Trailblazers (28-19) @ Utah Jazz (26-21) 

Post#41 » by KqWIN » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 am

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I'm 10000% sure we're all going to ignore this 65 point defensive half and blame offense.

Honestly I don't know how you stop someone like Nurkic from doing what he did, but there definitely was that stretch with Leonard in that we kind of fell apart and if we didn't we would have won.

They ran a standard pick and roll and he was wide open every time. We were hedging the screen, which is something we don't ever do, and both Favors and Gobert were completely ineffective at it. Maybe that's why we never do it, because they are god awful at it and so was the help defense. If Gobert isn't staying with Nurk, at least have a plan for help defense. The Jazz had none, except for late Korver rotations which had no effect even when he was on time. We also got torched when both Dame and Nurkic were off the floor. It wasn't spectacular shot making, just a steady stream of layups and wide open jumpers.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#42 » by KqWIN » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 am

Luigi wrote:We got stops when we needed them. We also had a scoring drought down the stretch. I think it's fair to point fingers at the offense, despite the quarter numbers.

We needed stops in the third quarter and early fourth quarter. That's where the game was lost. Everything Portland did came easy. Sure, the offense could have been better, but the second half collapse was clearly due to defensive breakdowns. I feel like the Jazz could allow 200 points, and people would still point to the offense as the culprit.

The Jazz are a defensive team. We should know this by now, it's been that way for years and years. If we don't perform on that end, we're going to have a tough time winning.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#43 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 am

Ingles and Korver were 0-8 from 3, but sure, it was all a defensive problem. :roll:

I'm just surprised nobody has blamed it on Rubio yet. Has to be his fault somehow.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#44 » by anish23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am

really really tough loss, and I think we are to blame more than Portland being good. Our defence was horrible, specially in the third and the fourth quarter, Gobert was not on his game and team defence in general was just bad. Why? Defence is all effort. We have had 3 days break I think and we do this, really disappointed.

Good things to take out of this game is Rubio looks great and Donovan was trying to cook late in the game, good to see. Sure a few shots didn't drop, but that happens, we have to be who we are on DEFENCE and that's how we win games.

Let's see if we turn it around quick, cuz next game is a tough one.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
Andri
Junior
And1: 251

Post#45 » by Andri » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm

I think it showed against a great team that Rubio if playing well (he was right before the injury and tonight despite the early 2 turnovers) is better than other lineup options we have this season.

Good game however, IMO if healthy and for a 7 game series we are a little bit better than them.
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#46 » by anish23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Andri wrote:I think it showed against a great team that Rubio if playing well (he was right before the injury and tonight despite the early 2 turnovers) is better than other lineup options we have this season.

Good game however, IMO if healthy and for a 7 game series we are a little bit better than them.

exactly what i feel.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#47 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

It was a good game, thanks to the Blazers showing up to play this time after the Jazz had embarrassed them twice already. Nurkic has become a stat sheet stuffer this season. I haven't paid attention to Jake Layman until this season, but he has been playing well this season, particularly of late, and he had a really nice game. I like him. This was an important win for the Blazers--we would have closed the gap to 1 game between the two teams and would have won the season series.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#48 » by mudsak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Gotta give credit where it's due... Portland played a really good game. I specifically think that Stotts showed up more well prepared for this game than Snyder did. The Jazz embarrassed Portland last time they played, and Portland had literally zero answers in that previous match up. To me it looks like they did their homework and found ways to break the Jazz down... and it worked to perfection.

They completely took Korver out of the game... they were glued to him. They did a good job contesting 3's in general.

Gobert got absolutely DOMINATED in the paint. He should feel a little embarrassed tbh. Nurkic was the one embarrassed last time...looks like he took it a little personal, and it made a difference. Overall really weak performance from Rudy.

I wish Rudy wasn't so useless with the ball in his hands. This Jazz team would be 100 times better if he had the ability to put the ball on the floor and effectively create for himself even if it were only in select situations. It would take so much pressure off the wings, and open things up for everyone else.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#49 » by Luigi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:We got stops when we needed them. We also had a scoring drought down the stretch. I think it's fair to point fingers at the offense, despite the quarter numbers.

We needed stops in the third quarter and early fourth quarter. That's where the game was lost. Everything Portland did came easy. Sure, the offense could have been better, but the second half collapse was clearly due to defensive breakdowns. I feel like the Jazz could allow 200 points, and people would still point to the offense as the culprit.

The Jazz are a defensive team. We should know this by now, it's been that way for years and years. If we don't perform on that end, we're going to have a tough time winning.

That's true. We gave up a ton of easy buckets there.

The offense could have won the game if we didn't go cold in the last few minutes. But the defense is the bigger problem.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,073

Post#50 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 pm

What an obnoxious loss. Mostly because the defense was pretty atrocious. So many open shots in the paint. Not what you'd expect when you have the best rim protector in the league....

I wish we could shoot scent from 3 more consistently.

Rubio had a nice game back though. Little rusty to start, but he was one of the few bright spots.

Return to Utah Jazz